• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the deal with TwitchCon, why is it so cringe

small_law

I remember when YouTube used to recommend fun stuff. Now I may as well turn on normal TV.
Exactly. Something like the adpocalypse was bound to happen eventually. When it did, Google burned its small-time creators and went for the easy ad revenue. Now everything is cable TV again, except for Twitch that is...

small_law

If I look on the explore tab on youtube, the content they are actively promoting, it is a lot of mainstream entertainment and sports content. I also agree that they have done way more than twitch to make themselves advertising safe. But there are a lot of popular channels on youtube which are independent and not run by established companies. A lot of those channels are very edgy, and it is even a relative safe haven for people who were considered too hot for twitch and banned, but they face a constant struggle with being demonetized or not recommended, which is a less publicly visible moderation tool than the twitch ban.
That's exactly it. The corporate stuff not only gets a lot of eyeballs but it also is absolutely safe to run ads on. And you can charge a lot more for those ads. A circa 2014 Jenna Marbles video with questionable themes is going to get at most a million views. A Marvel movie trailer that's as controversial as a bucket of warm wallpaper paste is a lock for at least 100 million views. What would YouTube rather sell ads for?

So yeah it's not at all surprising YouTube's algorithm promotes safe corporate garbage these days. I'm saying that Twitch is going to become that right before our very eyes sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FepOdrEXgAAolJB

holy shit.. the fuck kind of foam are those blocks made out of ?

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's the one time you SHOULD watch twitch, only because 95% of the idiots will be there and the leftovers will be actual people with communities chilling instead of the usual assholes who shit in the corner on cam and instantly get $300 gifted to them.

That said, I probably won't watch either Twitch, nor the Twitchcon. I'm 18. Plus 13. It's beyond my demographic. The only flossing I do is between my teeth and between my hairy butt cheeks with a towel post shower trying to get dry. Sorry Ellen.

MiguelItUp

Do any of these big twitch streamers even play games any more? Are they even relevant to gaming discussion?
Honestly, as far as I know, the majority that get/got the most attention and traffic hardly even touch games anymore. It's all drama and IRL stuff. A lot of them were gambling or doing slots. The only ones I tune into semi regularly are ones that play games. LIRIK, AvoidingThePuddle, and a few others.

njean777

Eh, I watched some of it (like 10min) and didn't see the appeal for myself, but if people like it, then let them. Is what it is.

Soodanim

Gold Member
From that clip alone, you can tell those commentators are in some ways what they consider perfect for that audience, because they are that audience. "She lives in the pit now" is the exact comment you would see in a comment section or chat. No professionalism, just amateurs with microphones.

They won't be able to afford professionals next time either, because lawyers are undoubtedly queueing up for an open and shut case.

Fools idol

Banned
The average social skills on display at any con I've been to regardless of genre has ranged from cringe to 'these people never interact with the real world outside more than once a year' levels.

Gamers by large magnitude are isolated social herpaderps, we all know this, no one should be surprised. I remember watching 3 guys talking about how they were going to get the number of the cosplay girl standing at the next booth and watched in amusement as each of them went the color of tomato as she signed their mousepads and shit in total silence. One of them then went to the bathroom to throw up cause he had an anxiety attack from the ordeal of seeing a real girl up close.

such is life

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
From that clip alone, you can tell those commentators are in some ways what they consider perfect for that audience, because they are that audience. "She lives in the pit now" is the exact comment you would see in a comment section or chat. No professionalism, just amateurs with microphones.

They won't be able to afford professionals next time either, because lawyers are undoubtedly queueing up for an open and shut case.
She is not going to fuck you

SJRB

Gold Member
The base isn’t foam. thats horrific. She’s gonna get paid

I've read that everyone signed a waiver before participating in this game.

That said, absolute insane situation and Twitch better step up. That "pit" is like a foot deep, the fuck did they think was going to happen?

Soodanim

Gold Member

That said, absolute insane situation and Twitch better step up. That "pit" is like a foot deep, the fuck did they think was going to happen?
I can't imagine that a waiver will hold up given the negligence on Twitch's part, if you're paid to be somewhere I would think the organiser still has a responsibility especially with multiple people being hurt. But I don't know anything about USA law, so maybe not

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it's a Lenovo Legion stand, so maybe Twitch dodges the bullet here and Lenovo will be scrambling some kind of statement soon.

Drew1440

the problem with this years twitchcon is that there is a new streamer chick that is insanely hot and taking all of the focus on herself we're talking a 13 out of 10 level broad here and people just cannot get enough of her and hang on every word she says

her name is keffals if you want to look her up
Wasn't she accused of mailing her hormone drugs to underage kids?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Apparently she has to have surgery and have a rod placed in her (not the rods she is accustomed too unfortunately)

The good news is that she's quite used to working while lying on her back.

anthony2690

Banned
The good news is that she's quite used to working while lying on her back.
I actually looked her up on PH out of mild curiosity, and the thumbnails alone made me very quickly turn off and delete my browsing history and made me clench my bum.

Just ouch/gross.

Cyberpunkd

this chick has taken dangerous amounts of foot long black rods and she get her back broken by a foam pit... i dont even.
TBH those - checks notes - 'black rods' went into something that is most of the time way better lubrified against wear and tear than the back.

Waivers are like EULAs, worthless.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I have a bigger question, who in the blue hell watches TwitchCon or any Con for that matter.

Top Bottom