• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is the Makeup of Your Eighth Generation Library of Games?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Now that we're experiencing the final days of the Eighth Generation of Video Game Consoles, we should look back on it by assessing the games that we've bought to enjoy it. So, why don't we assess our game purchases via the questions that follow.

1. Including games that you've sold, how many games have you bought overall?

2. What percentage of the games that you've bought are exclusive to a particular console?

3. What percentage of games that you've bought are multi-platform?

4. What percentage of games that you've bought are physical copies?

5. What percentage of games that you've boughy are digital copies?

6. If you've bought more than one console, what percentage of the games that you've bought belong to each console?

PS4 Games That I've Bought Physically

01. Batman: Arkham Knight (sold to GameStop then bought a "physical" copy for PC [the disc's purpose was simply to redeem a digital copy via Steam])

02. Bloodborne

03. Grand Theft Auto V (sold to GameStop then bought a digital copy for PC)

04. Horizon Zero Dawn

05. Infamous: Second Son (sold to GameStop)

06. Killzone: Shadow Fall (sold to GameStop)

07. The Last of Us Remastered (sold to GameStop in 2014 but bought a digital copy last month)

08. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

09. The Order: 1866

10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

PS4 Games That I've Bought Digitally

01. Battlefield 4

02. Days Gone

03. Death Stranding

04. God of War (2018)

05. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

06. Mortal Kombat X

07. Red Dead Redemption 2

08. Marvel's Spider-Man

09. The Last of Us Part 2 (pre-ordered via PlayStation Store)

10. Uncharted: The Last Legacy

11. Watch Dogs 2

Xbox One Games That I've Bought Physically

01. Gears of War 4

Xbox One Games That I've Bought Digitally

01. Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Ah man this'll need a lot of research for me.

For now I'll just give you simple numbers I can easily do. Will just do physical now.

PS4 games: 266 discs.
Xbox One games: 26 discs.
Switch games: 21 carts (I think these are all exclusives except FIFA).
Wii U games: 25 discs.
3DS games: 37 carts.
Vita: 6 carts.

Obviously there's no way I'm listing every game.

PS and Xbox last gen:
PS3 games: 93 discs.
Xbox 360 games: 104 discs.

You can see compared to last gen I went way in the PS ecosystem this time, and I was more into Xbox last gen.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
1. I've bought 23 console games this generation.

2. 14 games out of the 23 games (60.9%) that I've bought this generation are console exclusives. 13 games out of the 23 games are PS4 exclusives (56.5%) and 1 out of the 23 games is an Xbox One exclusive (4.3%).

3. What percentage of games that you've bought are multi-platform? 9 out of the 23 console games (39.1%) that I've bought this generation are multi-platform.

4. 11 out of the 23 console games (47.8%) that I bought this generation are physical copies.

5. 12 out of the 23 console games (52.2%) that I bought this generation are digital copies.

6. 21 out of the 23 console games (91.3%) that I bought this generation are PS4 games and the remaining 2 games (8.7%) are Xbox One games.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

For now I'll just give you simple numbers I can easily do. Will just do physical now.

Xbox One games: 26 discs.

PS and Xbox last gen:

You can see compared to last gen I went way in the PS ecosystem this time, and I was more into Xbox last gen.

Damn, you should rename yourself to Sir Game A-Lot. Assuming that you have a full-time job, how do you find the time to play so many games?

EDIT:

You don't buy digital copies?

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ
I know you wanted specifics OP, but I'm in bed, lazy as fuck, and have a bad memory. Anyway, what was this thread about?

TLZ

Banned
Damn, you should rename yourself to Sir Game A-Lot. Assuming that you have a full-time job, how do you find the time to play so many games?

EDIT:

You don't buy digital copies?
I have a lot of games, yes, but I hardly play. Life gets in the way of course. Add to that it also depends on the mood even when I have free time. Like right now as I type this, I'm playing Shantae half genie hero on Xbox X through gamepass. I love games though and I buy whenever I see sales on.

I have bought digital games, but they're few. I prefer physical games as you see.

In the beginning of the generation, I still bought discs. Here are them: inFamous Second Son, AC Black Flag, Bloodborne, Farpoint Skyrim VR. The latter 2 came with psvr bundles, but I later bought them digital on sale. I have literally hundreds of games digital, among flat AAA, indies and VR. Not all fit in my HD of course, finished games are replaced by new games.

I did buy a switch to check what the hype was about BotW. It was overhyped of course. SM Odyssey likewise. Some indies (didn't enjoy playing in the small screen). Now it's mostly just a Pokemon/animal flossing machine for my kid... Nintendo from NES/SNES days is long gone...

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I have a lot of games, yes, but I hardly play. Life gets in the way of course. Add to that it also depends on the mood even when I have free time. Like right now as I type this, I'm playing Shantae half genie hero on Xbox X through gamepass. I love games though and I buy whenever I see sales on.

I have bought digital games, but they're few. I prefer physical games as you see.

Why do you prefer physical games? I would prefer them if they didn't need to be patched or updated digitally in order to become or remain playable (a lot of games ship with bugs/ defects that need to be patched on their release dates). So, discs are essentially worthless, in my opinion; even selling them used is pointless because they don't retain much value when they're used.

Furthermore, in order to switch games with physical copies, you have to get up, walk to a console, hit the eject button, grab the disc, insert it into its case, grab another case, remove the disc from it and insert the disc into the console, and then walk back to your resting place. Too much work. Digital is definitely better.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
In the beginning of the generation, I still bought discs. Here are them: inFamous Second Son, AC Black Flag, Bloodborne, Farpoint Skyrim VR. The latter 2 came with psvr bundles, but I later bought them digital on sale. I have literally hundreds of games digital, among flat AAA, indies and VR. Not all fit in my HD of course, finished games are replaced by new games.

I did buy a switch to check what the hype was about BotW. It was overhyped of course. SM Odyssey likewise. Some indies (didn't enjoy playing in the small screen). Now it's mostly just a Pokemon/animal flossing machine for my kid... Nintendo from NES/SNES days is long gone...

Yea, it sucks that life gets in the way of having fun. Life is like 80% work and 20% play. What's up with that?

Physical PS4 games:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Beat not 100%)
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled (100% Story)
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (Beat Prologue)
Metal Wolf Chaos XD
Dragon Star Varnir
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout
Nights of Azure
Battle Princess Madelyn
Freedom Planet (Almost Beat)
Jotun: Valhalla Edition
Merceneries Wings
Monodora
Timespinner
River City Girls (100%)
Shadow Complex
Dead or School (100%)
Ni no Kuni 2
Tales of Vesperia HD (Definitive Edition) Wild Guns Reloaded
The Alliance Alive HD Remastered
Trails of Cold Steel III
Touhou Genso: Bullet Ballet (Also own a Digital Asian English Version) Story Bwat 100%
Aggelos
Judgment
Persona 5 (Beat)
Shenmue 3
Shenmue I & II HD
Shining Resonance Re:Frain (Half way through)
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD Team Sonic Racing (Beat Story on Hard)
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (100%)
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered (100%)
Valkyria Revolution
Yakuza 0 (Beat)
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Yakuza Kiwami (Beat)
Gravity Rush 2 (Beat)
Helldivers
The Last Guardian
Dragon Quest XI
Final Fantasy Type-0
Kingdom Hearts 3 (Beat)
NieR: Automata (100%)
Yoku's Island Express (Beat)
Hollow Knight
Sakura Wars (In Progress)
ADK Damashii

Total Price £1,581.28
Total Value (Est) £1,840.00
Total Games 46
Average Spend £34.38
Average Value £40.00 (due to many CE/LEs)

Sold:

Battle Garegga Rev 2016 (100%)

Wish List:

.//HACK.GU
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Granblue Fantasy Re:Link
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Scarlet Nexus
Persona 5 Scramble

Digital:

Enter the Gungeon
Dark Chronicle
Okage: The Shadow King
Pac Man Championship Edition 2 Psychonauts
Rogue Galaxy
Samurai Shodown VI
Sonic Mania (100%)
Super Stardust Ultra
The King of Fighters 2000
The Uncharted Collection
Windjammers (Beat Normal Mode)
The Ninjago Movie: The Game
Journey

PS+:

Knack
MGSV: The Phantom Pain
We Are Doomed
Infamous: Second Son
Level 22
Ultratron
Invisible.Inc
Transformers Devastation
Rocket League (100% Trophy side)
Valiant Hearts
Mercenery Kings
Uncharted 4
Sonic Forces (Beat)
Farming Simulator 2019

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

Gottdamn !

2d0812_f99b8b8e64e347ceac5375e245622bd9~mv2.gif

• LOL
Too mnay to list, so just numbers:
PS4 - 615 physical / 17 digital, multiplatform must be around 80/85%, the rest are exclusives
XboxOne - 24 physical, mostly exclusives but some of them later showed up on PC or PS4.
Switch - 61 physical / 3 digital, pretty much exclusives, don't care for portable gaming on the switch so no point buying the usually inferior multiplatform titles.
Never sold a game in my life.

Compared to previous gen:
PS3 - 313 physical / 27 digital
Xbox360 - 143 physical / 21 digital
Wii/WiiU - 57/20 physical

Kayoba

I mainly buy physical media for my consoles and in my list only 8 games are digital. On my PC it's the opposite where most of my games are digital, though I have no idea how many of my games that is from the 8th generation.

PS4:

Currently playing:
Yakuza 6 Song of Life

Finished games:
God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3-5
Judgement
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy
South Park The Stick of Truth
South Park The Fractured But Whole
Persona 5
Infamous Second Son
Spiderman
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Oddysey
Final Fantasy XV
Shadow of Mordor
Uncharted Collection (1-3)

Dropped games:
Watch Dogs
Horizon Zero Dawn
Heavy Rain
Jump Force
NHL16
Dead or Alive 6

Not started:
Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain
Beyond Two Souls
Sakura Wars
Persona 5 Royal
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Uncharted 4
Crash Bandicoot N-sane Trilogy
Kingdom Hearts All-in-One Collection
Assassin's Creed 3 (Got this one for free, already completed this however on my Xbox360)

Nintendo Switch:

Currently playing:
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Yo-Kai Watch 1 (jpn edition)

Finished:
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu
Pokémon Sword
Fire Emblem Three Houses

Not started:
Zelda Breath of the Wild

TLZ

Banned
Why do you prefer physical games? I would prefer them if they didn't need to be patched or updated digitally in order to become or remain playable (a lot of games ship with bugs/ defects that need to be patched on their release dates). So, discs are essentially worthless, in my opinion; even selling them used is pointless because they don't retain much value when they're used.

Furthermore, in order to switch games with physical copies, you have to get up, walk to a console, hit the eject button, grab the disc, insert it into its case, grab another case, remove the disc from it and insert the disc into the console, and then walk back to your resting place. Too much work. Digital is definitely better.
I like the sense of ownership I have with physical. Digital is convenient, but I don't like being at the mercy of a digital service. I like knowing that even when the net is down, or many years later I can still play the games I own whenever I want to.

.Furthermore, in order to switch games with physical copies, you have to get up, walk to a console, hit the eject button, grab the disc, insert it into its case, grab another case, remove the disc from it and insert the disc into the console, and then walk back to your resting place. Too much work. Digital is definitely better.

Only if you're a fat, lazy, out of shape slob.

PS and Xbox last gen:

PS4: 268 (Beat you by two!)
Switch: 64
Wii U: 6 (LOL)
3DS: 41
PS3: 174
Xbox 360: 29

No Xbox One or Vita and I own zero digital games.
VR83dbJ.jpg

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I like the sense of ownership I have with physical. Digital is convenient, but I don't like being at the mercy of a digital service. I like knowing that even when the net is down, or many years later I can still play the games I own whenever I want to.
Just because you own physical copies doesn't necessarily mean that you can play your games even if the net is down; if a game needs a patch in order to be playable, then you'd still be inconvenienced by network unavailability.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I mainly buy physical media for my consoles and in my list only 8 games are digital. On my PC it's the opposite where most of my games are digital, though I have no idea how many of my games that is from the 8th generation.

PS4:

Currently playing:
Yakuza 6 Song of Life

Finished games:
God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3-5
Judgement
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy
South Park The Stick of Truth
South Park The Fractured But Whole
Persona 5
Infamous Second Son
Spiderman
Assassin's Creed Black Flag
Assassin's Creed Unity
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Assassin's Creed Origins
Assassin's Creed Oddysey
Final Fantasy XV
Shadow of Mordor
Uncharted Collection (1-3)

Dropped games:
Watch Dogs
Horizon Zero Dawn
Heavy Rain
Jump Force
NHL16
Dead or Alive 6

Not started:
Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain
Beyond Two Souls
Sakura Wars
Persona 5 Royal
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Uncharted 4
Crash Bandicoot N-sane Trilogy
Kingdom Hearts All-in-One Collection
Assassin's Creed 3 (Got this one for free, already completed this however on my Xbox360)

Nintendo Switch:

Currently playing:
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Yo-Kai Watch 1 (jpn edition)

Finished:
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu
Pokémon Sword
Fire Emblem Three Houses

Not started:
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Wow, I can't believe that you haven't played MGSV yet. Also, you should get Batman: Arkham Knight for PC; it's amazing at 4K and 60 frames per second, especially with Nvidia GameWorks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'll have to count up my PS4 games. I sold a few of my Limited Run titles, but last count I had close to 300.

Everything else this gen I've been digital on, outside of the like 5 games that came with my Xbox (Doom, Quantum Break, Halo 5, Forza something, Elder Scrolls Online) which I've re-purchased digitally anyway. I have over 400 "Ready to install" games on my Xbox account, not counting Game Pass which adds another 100+. I had a ton of 3DS games but I've sold almost all of them and narrowed it down to just a few games I really loved. I had a small collection of physical Vita games but recently sold all of those as well. Honestly I'll probably end up selling my PS4 collection also, a lot of the games are multiplatform and I've double dipped on Xbox. A ton of the exclusives I've bought digitally on the PS Store.

Vawn

Banned
I have around 150 PS4 games (not counting all the mostly garbage PS+ games), around 120 Switch games and exactly 3 Xbox One games (two of which I repurchased on Switch).

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
xBoX hAs nO GaMeS

44dkim6.jpg

(To be fair that 643 number DOES include a whole bunch of Xbox and Xbox 360 games...that's what backwards compatibility gets you)

But it's a combination of digital and physical. More digital for sure. I'll get it on whatever format is cheapest at the time.

Last edited:
Gave up the PS4 3 years ago due to international travel but looking to buy all the games I’ve missed on the cheap as PS4 era is coming to a close. At the time I had bought everything physically numbered at around 25 games the first few years it came out.
Had a Switch for 2 years with around 12 physical and 10 digital games. Had to sell to help family members during financial hardship.

teezzy

Banned
Gamepass aside, here's my Xbox One stash. 28 titles in all.

20200615-105906.jpg

Briefly owned both a Switch and PS4 but sold them both because we didnt vibe right. I also own 367 Steam games total, fwiw.

Kayoba

Wow, I can't believe that you haven't played MGSV yet. Also, you should get Batman: Arkham Knight for PC; it's amazing at 4K and 60 frames per second, especially with Nvidia GameWorks.

It's actually a game I bought on a whim. A store next to my job went bankrupt 3-4 years ago and I bought the game for a discounted price.

I'm currently waiting for Ghost of Tsushima, which I will play after Yakuza 6 (should be done just in time for the release of GoT). After that I might start The Phantom Pain.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm not including Switch anything because that train is still going.

1. Including games that you've sold, how many games have you bought overall?

PS4: 84 Physical, 21 digital

XB1: 10 Physical

Considering I don't actively collect for this gen, it's kind of surprising how many there are.

2. What percentage of the games that you've bought are exclusive to a particular console?

13/115 or ~11% actual first party exclusives

There are several other console exclusives or "natural" third party exclusives that just haven't been ported for one reason or another. SEGA has been gradually porting the Yakuza series for instance so Judgment is technically a PS4 exclusive but may end up elsewhere in the future.

Plus Microsoft has been porting nearly everything to PC and even Sony is getting on that train now too.

3. What percentage of games that you've bought are multi-platform?

We'll say 89% for ease.

4. What percentage of games that you've bought are physical copies?

~82%

5. What percentage of games that you've boughy are digital copies?

~18%

6. If you've bought more than one console, what percentage of the games that you've bought belong to each console?

~91% Sony, ~9% Microsoft.

This looks somewhat unbalanced to my actual playing time because Gamepass has been so good.

Bonus Pics:

cZnodO2.jpg

8uwXaLg.jpg

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

i don't know if its just me but i've long abandoned the concept of generations. I mean, i'm playing a 2011 game right now as well as a 2017 game with my friends. Then before this i was playing games released on 2018-2015 and then from 2000-2001 after that. If theres something that looks interesting i'll play it, don't care if its from 1999 or 2020.

Last edited:

Aion002

I only play only on PlayStation and PC.

On PlayStation 4, by my digital library: 255.

On disc: 11.

On Steam I dont know... I buy so many games from so many generations....

I have all Sony first party games, minus the baseball series.

TLZ

Banned
Just because you own physical copies doesn't necessarily mean that you can play your games even if the net is down; if a game needs a patch in order to be playable, then you'd still be inconvenienced by network unavailability.
For offline single player games? I don't think so. Or do you mean they're bugged and broken and need a patch to make then remotely playable?

There's a Bully physical version for this gen?? :messenger_open_mouth:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For offline single player games? I don't think so. Or do you mean they're bugged and broken and need a patch to make then remotely playable?

There's a Bully physical version for this gen?? :messenger_open_mouth:
It's just a re-branded Xbox 360 disc. They did that for a few games once BC became a thing. I personally have the Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas physical releases that were made to look like Xbox One games.

maxresdefault.jpg

TLZ

Banned
It's just a re-branded Xbox 360 disc. They did that for a few games once BC became a thing. I personally have the Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas physical releases that were made to look like Xbox One games.

maxresdefault.jpg
Oh alright. Thanks.

PS4: 55 Physical
170 Digital
Switch: 11
PC: According to my GOG galaxy i have 541 between all the launchers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom