• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most beautiful game?

Rolf NB

I can't back it uo with fancy screenshots, but to me Final Fantasy X-2 is the prettiest, most gourgous game this gen, It strikes the perfect balance between not-really-realistic and making it absolutely plausible that the things you do see on screen could actually exist.

The grass plain level in particular is just dropping jaws left and right. But even if you're just following the main story, there's no shortage of beauty.

(I'm not arguing the quality of the game right here, right now, just the looks)

KnuckaWut

not one of my favs but always liked scenery

20081025_prince_of_persia_1.jpg

Cajun

Neo Member
This is always such a difficult question to answer. On one hand, I want to praise current developments in graphical beauty, but on the other, I want to praise games that were miles ahead of the competition of their time.

Going by games that are beautiful today, Witcher 2, Dark Souls, Journey, TLoU, and countless artistically-centered games (Limbo, Borderlands, etc.) come to mind.

As for games that blew me away in the time they were released, FF7-9/Parasite Eve, Wind Waker, REmake (it can almost stand up to current-gen graphics imo), and Metroid Prime were far ahead of their time, just to name a few. Looking back on it, the Gamecube was one hell of a powerful system when in the right hands.

ledman

Riding a horse in RDR at night and looking at the sky was really something, so I will go with RDR.

I have a place in my heart for a vast number of 2D figthing games too.

Espada

Okami
Journey
Shadow of the Colossus

Not only were these three absolutely gorgeous, they were some of the most incredible experiences I've ever had as fan of video games. The sights, the score, the cohesive aesthetic and its consistency, how well they immersed you into the world, gameplay, etc...

These are honorable mentions, some actually have art that matches the three I listed but aren't quite there with everything else.

Trine 2
Wind Waker
Folklore
Muramasa
Super Mario Galaxy (both entries)
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Muramasa: The Demon Blade (I'll never forget that run through the field at sunset or the climb up Mt. Fuji)
Dragon's Crown
King of Fighters XIII
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
Kirby's Epic Yarn (in terms of cohesive aesthetic, this one is right up there with the best)

I can't wait to get my hands on Puppeteer and Rayman Legends. I've played their demos to death because of the impressive visuals and tight gameplay. If both can deliver a solid experience, they're definitely joining the list because DAMN. Let's hope we get Bravely Default overseas in the near future. Akihiko Yoshida art + prerendered handpainted backgrounds + low poly art = Heaven.

D-e-f-

Banned
Is there any legal way to play it other than tracking down a PAL SNES + Cart on ebay? Could you, for example, create a Wii European account and get it on VC that way?

LOL @ you for thinking Square Enix put something awesome like that on VC anywhere. They don't give a fuck about games not called Final Fantasy in terms of VC.

There is no legal way outside of buying the PAL or JP cart. Square Enix doesn't give a crap about Enix games for re-releases. It's probably any accident they put out ActRaiser when VC first launched.

Besides, Nintendo's digital stores are tied to the hardware. You can only ever log into the stores from the region of your console. So your suggestion wouldn't work anyway.

vrOMaUx.jpg

[... etc... ]

at some point mods should slap you on the wrist for not including a name. it really is incredibly annoying.

As far as i am concerned God Of War games in general are the most beautiful game i have ever played or watched for that matter. The art, the mythology, and the level design are second to none.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
As much as I felt fairly underwhelmed by the game overall, BioShock Infinite was one of the most impressive, well, anythings I've ever seen. The animation and vibrancy is like golden age Disney or Ghibli levels of visual brilliance. That final third or so, well, anyone who played knows what I mean.

Recently, I'm heavily biased on this one cus it's consuming my every free moment, but FFXIV:ARR is about as good as it gets in terms of art direction. A dream come true for me to have an MMO world directed by Yoshida. It's grand-scale fantasy stuff but still operates with some restraint, which gives it a grace and serenity that Western fantasy art rarely achieves. Can't wait to get a mount and just be an in-game photographer for a day or two.

Thorgal

Awesome shot though! Sometimes the mod community is the best art director there is, when it's not covering everything in tits and bloom.

right you are

while i am at it . here have another one .

gotta love real skin mods and a crapload of character tweaking .

tesv2013-07-0921-06-1rasb0.png

petran79

Banned
This might be the most subjective question I've ever seen posed on GAF.

But to my eye, the 2D Monkey Island games always had some of the best art in video games, culminating in the Curse of Monkey Island

Regarding 2D cartoony art, one of the best games was Toonstruck. The amount of effort that went into the design and animation cost so much that it increased the budget and game arrived incomplete. Also voice actors were perhaps the most prolific to have featured in a video game. Would love to see a sequel with the remaining artwork

toon25.jpg

vlcsnap140372.png

toonstruck_2.jpg

Not counting games that aren't released, Bioshock Infinite gets my vote, with The Last of Us coming a close second.
Obviously stuff like Crysis 3 is graphically superior and looks more realistic, but in terms of aesthetic, Bioshock is more beautiful.

flyover

at some point mods should slap you on the wrist for not including a name. it really is incredibly annoying.

It's the worst thing about otherwise great threads like this.

I wish you were required to include game/character/etc. names with screenshots in such threads.

Wozman23

While it is beautifully minimalistic, the early Unfinished Swan pales in comparison to the darker themed world.
unfinished-swan-dark1.jpg

Ibb and Obb mirrors that sentiment. That level in darkness was my favorite.

Guacamelee! had some really vivid stuff too. The alebrije deserves a mention
2013-04-04-180201.jpg

todahawk

You had to post beautiful screens (from areas that i haven't seen, i thought all of the game looked brown) from Journey didn't you?... darn it!!!, i had an order of how i'm going to tackle my backlog... but now with those screenshots you're gonna make me have to re order the games on the list...

yeah, I picked those Journey screens on purpose.
After playing the demo I was under the same assumption that the whole game is sand and brown. It's not.

I got it during the PS+ sale for $3.75 (which feels criminal) but I'll be honest I wasn't super overly impressed by the demo. It didn't click for some reason. But once I got a little further and saw how the online experience worked my view changed immensely.

But hands down flat out gorgeous. Some of the other effects and mechanics in the game, the way they're rendered, they're just beautiful...

so yes, do yourself a favor and grab it ASAP.

Top Bottom