• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most beautiful game?

fates

I love me some 16bit graphics so... Chrono Trigger and FF6 were mentioned already, right?

Here's one that's close to my heart too:

ToP_GBA_-_Temple_of_Fenrir_zps640b2f78.png

D-e-f-

Banned
Legend of Mana has always struck me as perhaps the most beautiful 2D game:

M0oHpNb.jpg

5vTL3S3.png

vYHanPu.jpg

3qiQ5fP.jpg

Just random grabs from Google image search, but hopefully they get the point across.

HFulAjn.png

I had a feeling this should be in here but I haven't played it yet (dat backlog) so I wasn't sure.

orborborb

The Raiden Project, Marathon Infinity, Riven, Final Fantasy 9, Soul Calibur, Ico, Rez, Wind Waker, Shadow of the Colossus, Half Life 2, Wipeout HD, Risen, Crysis 2, Dark Souls, Fez, Sine Mora, Final Fantasy 14

D-e-f-

Banned
I love me some 16bit graphics so... Chrono Trigger and FF6 were mentioned already, right?

Here's one that's close to my heart too:

ToP_GBA_-_Temple_of_Fenrir_zps640b2f78.png

What's that? Tales of Phantasia? (names people! NAMES!)

more 16 bit love:

Terranigma_%2528SNES%2529_0734.png

Terranigma_%2528SNES%2529_0813.png

Terranigma_%2528SNES%2529_0875.png

Terranigma_%2528SNES%2529_1697.png

Terranigma_%2528SNES%2529_1804.png

Terranigma_%2528SNES%2529_1866.png

- Terranigma (the game in my avatar)

Can we all just stop for a moment and bow to video games. I mean wow.

What other medium has given us what we see here. And this is just visuals, add in sound and interaction and you get, you get..

images

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The first to come to mind was Yoshi's Island, but I think my vote goes to Wind Waker.

elhav

Wait what? They didn't put the paper filter back into the HD version?
From what I've heard there is an option to change the paper filter in the hd version(light-barely seen filter, middle- like the wii version, and dark- like the ps2 version)

It's there a little, but the colors pop more so it doesn't look like it's painted onto paper. It has a slightly more standard celshaded look, I'm not sure how to put it exactly.

From your experience, does the highest paper filter option in Okami hd look the same as in the ps2 version? If not it really sucks, cus I am planning on playing it and I really wanted the same heavy paper filter .

I've always been a fan of Halo CEA's artstyle. Over saturated colours are a nice change from the piss filtered mud look that FPS games seem to be going for these days.

Yes, I've always felt the Halo games had a very nice aesthetic. Even the wacky stuff, like in the one picture, aren't quite as jarring somehow as many of it's contemporaries of the same style.

Okami is gorgeous. I love how it looks like a painting.

okami_announce_screens7.jpg

Muramasa: The Demon Blade also deserves high praise for its amazing hand-drawn 2D visuals. Screenshots really don't do them justice.

*EDIT: Oh shit, how could I forget Xenoblade Chronicles? It's definitely up there, though I don't think it's as visually striking in the artistic sense compared to the two games I mentioned above. Certain areas are absolutely gorgeous though. Xenoblade is more about having the full package: probably the most interesting game world (living on a dead god's body), awesome, large-scale areas, pretty sceneries, amazing music. Man I love that game.

Screenshot doesn't do it justice at all, but the first time I saw a starry night in Eryth Sea I just sat there staring at my screen.

tumblr_m7lowatkmb1r0r092o1_500.png

megalowho

Okami, Wind Waker, Rez HD, Child of Eden, Bioshock Infinite and El Shaddai probably all resonate the most for me. Child of Eden deserves more screenshot love - such a breathtaking and visually diverse game.

child-of-eden-playstation-3-ps3-013.jpg

Child-of-Eden-Archive-3-Beauty-01.jpg

Beauty.jpg

Overboost

there are two kinds of people in this thread. those that are posting el shaddai and those that should be.

Winner.

I seriously hope this thread convinced some people to pick up El Shaddai. It's cheap these days, and it's something every gamer should experience, up there with Journey IMO (but with better art direction).

For me, FEZ.

However, it isn't something that can be captured in a screenshot or even a short video. The beauty is in the whole experience. The atmosphere, the ambient use of changing colours in the sky, all those little touches, and that incredible soundtrack. Such a beautiful game. Truly made my hairs stand on end.

That aside, there are plenty of obvious choices in the thread that I can't disagree with. Zelda WW, ICO, etc. Blue Dragon also comes to mind.

D-e-f-

Banned
Cant believe no one said god of war 3

40xe4ft.jpg

I know why you can't believe it, because you haven't read the entire thread and seen that someone actually did mention it ;)

TF2 may be stylish, but it doesn't strike me as beautiful

Good point. It doesn't look particularly impressive during the (frantic) gameplay but freecam shots always look great.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I've been wanting to play Terranigma for so long now =(

Get on that man!

If it had come out in the US, people would be naming it in the same breath as FFVI and Chrono Trigger. It is that good. (Or better). Definitely the best in Quintet's Soul Trilogy.

I've always found the Dead Space games look pretty good. A few shots from Dead Space 3:

Dead Space 1 was among the first few games that sold me on the HD generation.

Horp

Journey
Trine 2 (didn't really like the game though)
KZ:SF (from what I've seen so far)
And I really like the look of Portal 2.

Pictures are great, but just preemptively this time, can we please avoid posting 60MB worth of GIFs in one post? If you want to show that much of a game, a still in this thread + a youtube link suffices.

Can we get a ruling on 5mb embedded .pngs please. Super frustrating to realize you just unintentionally pulled over 100mb on one page of a graphics thread.

Top Bottom