• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most beautiful game?

Kabouter

to be fair, this should be expected in a thread that is basically asking for tons of pictures.

Pretty much. Just that there is a limit, and tons of oversized GIFs is really annoying. Especially since GIFs, with their low resolution, say very little about the appearance of a game. That's why a full-res picture + youtube link is much better.

UrbanRats

Get that fucking disgrace to the human race outta here. The most pile of shit I've ever encountered in any medium. Yuck. I want to vomit now.

If that last shot is in game, then that's pretty realistic looking. Not Beautiful though perhaps. There rest, ugh.

No because i love the look and style of it.
It conveys what it wants perfectly, so you'll have to suck it up.
K&L2 is a shit game, but it looks and sounds amazing.

Next i may mention Hotline Miami, going for the same, dog shit vibe.
Hotline-Miami-02.jpg

Can we all just stop for a moment and bow to video games. I mean wow.

What other medium has given us what we see here. And this is just visuals, add in sound and interaction and you get, you get..

images

This.

Personally I can't narrow it down to one. It's impossible.

Edit: I don't think anyone mentioned Child of Eden so here's a shout out:

2063_0002.jpg

Can't seem to find pics that do it justice, it really needs to be seen in motion. Now that I think about it it really is a serious candidate for most beautiful game ever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ōkami

okami-hd02.jpg

original.jpg

Okami-HD_2012_07-11-12_002.jpg

okami-hd-screenshot-gamescom-2012-06.jpg

okami_hd_6.jpg

okami.jpg

Not just that, but easily the best game I have ever played. The freedom that you feel in this game is incredible.

Goddamn I need to play Okami HD and not give up after 40 hours like on PS2/Wii...One day I will beat this massive thing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
operation-rainfall-xenoblade.jpg

Holy fuck I need to get back into Xenoblade. Next time I can't log into FFXIV, I am loading this back up.

todahawk

journey is my #1, just jaw droppingly beautiful and thatgamecompany did it with relatively simple shapes. gorgeous art direction,

20130107164847-935372b7-me.jpg

p17kbgvdd3hvd1et7nlqrmehg88.jpg

didn't get a chance to post examples (some others did) but it's impossible to overstate just how ridiculous el shaddai actually is. The art style varies considerably throughout the game, and it is GORGEOUS.

but as nice looking as stills are, it has to be played to be seen. All of this looks ten times better in motion, and the direction of the game improves on it tenfold over that- it's just a game that bleeds style and creativity all over and MUST be mentioned in any conversation about games as art.

here are some shots that are different than what was already posted, but really- play the game. it's cheap and easy to pick up and play.

it's just untouchable, personally. wow.

mhayze

I think there's two art directions that really appeal to me at an aesthetic level - a) the stylized, 'painted' or cel-shaded look and b) the semi-photorealistic, 'gritty' look.

For each of these it's a toss up between posting the pioneers in the field and the latest and greatest variants that certainly build on ground-breaking originals. For the 'stylized' camp, I think 'Flashback' & 'Out of this World' are 2D pioneers and Wind Waker is one of the 3D pioneers, but recent entries like Rime look amazing. I hope to see this generation continue to push the boundaries of the stylized game look, utilizing all the multi-teraflop capabilities of current hardware, since most of the focus seems to be on 'realistic'. I dig the 2D / 2.5D look of what Vanillaware and their ilk can do as well, but they sometimes tend to be a little jarring in motion.

In the gritty camp, I think / hope that Naughty Dog will blow us away with their next PS4 game.

Rooster12

Wouldn't most games today fit into this category???

I mean with the technology we have today......just your average game looks really amazing.

Wouldn't most games today fit into this category???

I mean with the technology we have today......just your average game looks really amazing.

things like "most beautiful" are always subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

that being said: not really.

games today have higher resolutions and can push plenty of polygons, but art direction is one of those things that vary a lot from game to game. Some games (el shaddai) have fantastic art direction that manages to be beautiful without being photorealistic, while other games (resident evil 5) might push a lot more polygons, or run in higher res but would be a stretch to call "beautiful" per se- since that's not really what they were going for.

There are some PSX games I can think of (saga frontier 2, legend of mana) that i would think of as "more beautiful" than many current gen games.

Final Fantasy VIII:

Eh...I can't really get on board the pre rendered background train.

A lot of these being posted (FFXIII, Chrono Cross, Resident Evil) take what are admittedly nice looking still shots, then layer the worst looking polygonal models known to man over them during gameplay.

It was jarring then, and worse now.

SOME games can get away with this by choosing sprite based or cell shaded models that blend in with the background and "work" as a whole.

Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier II both did this and hold up, while I can't say the 32 bit FFs do well at all.

Wozman23

Glad to see Trine getting recognition. It's got one of the richest fantasy settings I've ever seen, superb lighting, and the deepest layers of 2.5D visuals. To me it's more like 2.6D.

Rayman is the king of 2D, no contest.

While it's not a popular entry to like, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One has some of the best environments in the franchise.

El Shaddai is a great mention too. I bought it on art direction alone.

Puppeteer, Hohokum, Rime, and The Witness all look very promising.

Wazzy

Banned
Eh...I can't really get on board the pre rendered background train.

A lot of these being posted (FFXIII, Chrono Cross, Resident Evil) take what are admittedly nice looking still shots, then layer the worst looking polygonal models known to man over them during gameplay.

It was jarring then, and worse now.

SOME games can get away with this by choosing sprite based or cell shaded models that blend in with the background and "work" as a whole.

Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier II both did this and hold up, while I can't say the 32 bit FFs do well at all.

What does that have to do with the world itself being beautiful? I'm not seeing how character models make them ugly, that's it's own seperate criticism.

I also disagree that they all don't look good, especially listing something like XIII.

Cdammen

Yes! People mentioning Kentucky Route Zero. The style is fantastic, couple that with the soundspace and occasional sprinkle of folk music and you got yourself a pretty dreamy package. It's the best interactive literary fiction I've had the pleasure to play.

journey is my #1, just jaw droppingly beautiful and thatgamecompany did it with relatively simple shapes. gorgeous art direction,

20130107164847-935372b7-me.jpg

p17kbgvdd3hvd1et7nlqrmehg88.jpg

You had to post beautiful screens (from areas that i haven't seen, i thought all of the game looked brown) from Journey didn't you?... darn it!!!, i had an order of how i'm going to tackle my backlog... but now with those screenshots you're gonna make me have to re order the games on the list...

Final Fantasy VIII:

This post is why I miss pre-rendered environments in Final Fantasy games. Combined with Uematsu's score, they'd give the various settings so much character and a sense of place. I think all three of the PS1 Final Fantasy mainline instalments deserve a place in this thread.

Get on that man!

If it had come out in the US, people would be naming it in the same breath as FFVI and Chrono Trigger. It is that good. (Or better). Definitely the best in Quintet's Soul Trilogy.

Is there any legal way to play it other than tracking down a PAL SNES + Cart on ebay? Could you, for example, create a Wii European account and get it on VC that way?

Parch

Good thread. There's a large variety of art styles represented here. It only emphasizes how gaming truly is an art form.

Top Bottom