• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most bullshit sounding game "trick" that is actually real?

You said "trick" specifically so I'm going with a little leeway here but in the original Baldur's gate, there are actually two rings of wizardry which are fairly useful and it wasn't until playing it again like 10 years later did I discover the second one well hidden near the beginning of the game. Also the fact that the pantaloons in those games actually become super useful later on is fantastic.

Orca

If you do the level select cheat for Sonic 2, remove the cart while it's still on and put Sonic 3 in, you'll have the level select for Sonic 3 unlocked after resetting the Genesis.

There were a lot of cart-swap ones back in the day. Also remember being blown away to find out I could swap the CD on any game with redbook audio with my own CD and listen to my music instead lol

Macheezmo

The Ikari Warriors level select code sounds like something someone just made up on the spot: Up, Down, A, A, B, Left, Right, A, B, Up, A, Down, Right, Right, Left, B, Up, Left, A, Right, B, Left, Right, A, Left, Up, A, Down, A, Right, Left, B, Start (before the demo starts)

Neverfade

I remember '94 well -- trying to get revive General Leo in FF6. Lots of bullshit around that one.

BUT -- there's a Gametrailers PopFacts (or whatever the fuck its called) where they get it to work -- although in a fairly gimped fashion. Cool nonetheless.

SirNinja

In Kirby's Dream Land 2, if you play enough to max out the score counter (9,999,990 points), you will get a 1UP every time you perform an action that would normally get you points, and even for other things like taking damage and killing yourself. Yes, complete with the annoying sound each time.

I was one of the first people to discover it, and even today most people don't believe me when I tell them. :-/

Fisty

The RNG abuse in FF8 to get Rosetta Stones while in the Prison at the beginning of Disc 2 sounded like complete horseshit when my friend told me about it. I even made him show me the exact method because I thought he had used a gameshark to get 6 Rosetta Stones that early in the game. I will never understand how people figure this stuff out.

Miker

In Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (all versions except HD Remix), the diamond does 50% damage, unless it's going down a column with gems on both sides (a "well," so to speak) - then the player has to reverse it at the last second so that the diamond rotates 180 degrees, and it does 100% damage instead of 50%. It's stupid as hell, but it works.

The diamond glitch ended up being removed in the rebalanced HD Remix, but instead does a flat 80% damage.

Read more here: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/balancing-puzzle-fighter

Stand on a toilet
Crouch
Now hold aim while also holding the sidestepping to the right button, all while turning left.

You're now somehow in a vent above the toilet.

You should all know what game this is.

Oppo

using a hole puncher n the edge of a 5 1/4" floppy disk so you could fit two games on one disk.

Scizzy

The two best ones I can think of are the eggplant in Spelunky and getting to meet the dev team if you manage to beat Lavos soon enough in Chrono Trigger.

Gradon

In Devil May Cry 3, there are two methods of playing 2 player DMC3:

*During the Arkham fight, the 2nd player can take control of Vergil by pressing Select/Start on the controller.

For the Doppelganger style, the clone can be controlled by a 2nd player. With Super Dante, DMC3 becomes a bootleg co-op game.

Shut up. If this wasn't here, I wouldn't believe it at all. Had no idea about this.

Riposte

I'm pretty sure there have been threads like this before but can't find one. I was reading about that Pokemon Yellow level 100 Nidoking glitch which sounds like "that guy" nonsense, but is actually real

• Try to leave Pewter city and get brought to Brock's gym
  • Walk to Viridian forest
  • Get seen by trainer, press start and use escape rope
  • Go back to Viridian forest, fight a level 3-4 Caterpie
    [*]Use Growl 6 times then run
  • Get brought back to gym
  • Go back to forest and find a Lv1 Nidoking which turns into a Lv100 after gaining exp

That "use growl 6 times" part in particular sounds like garbage but it's real.

Tell me more.

Sounds like complete spaghetti code. I wonder if we still get glitches like these in games today.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Dead serious and it works.

Ivy in soul calibur has a throw that is disgusting hard to pull if you use precision to execute the move. Shame some of the pros in SC2/SC1 taught me to make 3 circles super quick and it comes out almost every time once you call the throw. You can't do this in SC4/5 cause namco changed the buffering system.

Here's a link for the basics

This got me in so much trouble with friends they hate that move considering the damage it does and the ease of setup if you're good at that.

In SCV, you can just use the D-pad in concert with the analog stick to cheat Summon Suffering.

Also SCIV's buffering system was so goopy that you could do 41236A+G,B,B+K to get asura dance to come out IIRC. (The game would just auto insert the necessary directional inputs from the half circle forward motion.)

SCV still retains this to a degree as you can simply mash all three buttons to get Pyrrha's canned combos after 22Bch to come out.

Hugstable

Banned
The recently found way in which you can trick Pokemon Red/Blue into actually letting you catch Mew. If I had heard the instructions back when I was younger and didn't have access to the internet much, I woulda thought it was bullshit.

The Hermit

007 Goldeneye for N64 had a bunch of codes, but everyone though they were just unlockables.

About 3 years (IIRC) after the launch, Rare revealed a bunch of them, including one that allowed to play almost every character of the game including NPC, here it is:

Hold L + R and press C-Left.
Hold L and press C-Up.
Hold L + R and press LEFT on the Control Pad (not the analog stick.)
Hold L and press RIGHT on the Control Pad.
Hold R and press DOWN on the Control Pad.
Hold L + R and press C-Left.
Hold L and press C-Up.
Hold L + R and press RIGHT on the Control Pad.
Hold L + R and press C-Down.
Hold L and press RIGHT on the Control Pad. If that doesn't work, hold L and press DOWN on the Control Pad.

I was sure it was a lie until I tried it.

mstevens

The RNG abuse in FF8 to get Rosetta Stones while in the Prison at the beginning of Disc 2 sounded like complete horseshit when my friend told me about it. I even made him show me the exact method because I thought he had used a gameshark to get 6 Rosetta Stones that early in the game. I will never understand how people figure this stuff out.

Your friend's Squall must have been hella fluent.

In Fire Emblem 7 you control the enemy's phase if you reset the game after a enemy landed on a mine you planted. Theirs like only two mines in the entire game that I always felt it was intensional

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The Naboo Starfighter in Rogue Squadron. Enter a couple of gibberish codes with no confirmation sound and unlock a ship from a movie that had just come out in a game over a year old.

The secret weapons for each main weapon in Super Metroid. I found them out just pressing a bunch of buttons and NONE of my friends believed me until they did it themselves.

DownrightMetallicAntbear.gif

AmazingRemorsefulDromaeosaur.gif

EnergeticMarriedGoldfish.gif

AjarHighEnglishsetter.gif

Sawneeks

Banned
You can use two flames ( preferably from a lighter ) about shoulder width apart to simulate a Wii sensor bar. It's something with IR but it helped out when my friend's and I forgot a Wii sensor bar and just needed to sync some Wii remotes to a Wii U.

Reaching the end of P.T.

Reset
Zoom on phone
Zoom on picture
Get possessed
Etc...

I don't think there's even a straight answer on how to reach the end yet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The secret weapons for each main weapon in Super Metroid. I found them out just pressing a bunch of buttons and NONE of my friends believed me until they did it themselves.

Not even any special button combos, just select the Power Bomb and hold charge, it's cool for sure. The Crystal Flash is even crazier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5j7ddcBlQI

I mean just read the description:
you must have less than 50 of energy, none of energy tanks neither reserve tanks, press and hold L, R, press down 2 times and hold, and release the bomb holding the button too until she turns into a energy ball!

Sounds like BS but it totally works.

Not even any special button combos, just select the Power Bomb and hold charge, it's cool for sure. The Crystal Flash is even crazier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5j7ddcBlQI

I mean just read the description:

Sounds like BS but it totally works.

Yep. I forgot to include this one. I've always had a thing for pressing random shit that doesn't do anything at all and that one game it did. Guess that's one of the reasons it's my favorite game ever, outside of it being perfect.

Ultratech

FFXII IZJS

Get on one of the skyferries.

Keep going out to the deck (and back in if not) until your PS2 makes a specific noise pattern (clack clack .. clackclackclack)

Search for an invisible chest

Open it and pray, you will get an awesome bow called Seitengrat, it has 224 atk power (The Zodiac Spear has only 150 or 141 in IZJS)

But I cannot show you, it has no ingame model :(

Yeah.. :p

lol yeah

The uber gear in IZJS is crazy hard to find legit, but you can guarantee their appearance with some RNG manipulation.
(Unfortunately, this is also different for each PS2 model...)

Anth0ny

Definitely Mew glitch and Missingno. The latter is probably part of the reason why so many fake Pokemon tricks came up back in the day.

dukeoflegs

I wouldn't say the Super Metroid ones anything special especially since you can watch the attract movie (video that plays when you don't start a game) and see them performed.
For me the most outlandish bullshit thing I remember was when my older brother told me if jumped onto bowsers horn and the ax you could be small Mario and use fire power (in super Mario Bros). I could never pull it of but one time my younger brother did. And only once the Internet became more main stream did others actually believe me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEpTF6dSbg

gaiages

Banned
When I played DWIII on the Game Boy Color way back in the day, there was a weird glitch in the Parcheesi (or whatever they're called) game boards that could help you max your your characters' levels super fast... and seeing as it was a Dragon Quest game, that's huge.

I'm not sure why it would happen, but on the fourth board, if you got into a battle while playing and the battle gave you enough experience to level up, you'd just keep leveling up. My Hero went from ~35 to max level, and when I tried it again later with my Sage, she went from ~40ish to 89. Don't know why she stopped at 89, but whatever.

I think I tried to tell people about it, but I had no clue what really made the major leveling happen, so no one believed me :p

Also not much of a trick, but being able to assign characters in FFIX to a second controller so you could co-op battles was pretty neat, and it was kinda hidden in the menus so not everyone might have known about it.

Blow into the cartridge, then insert it about 95% into the NES and slam it down against the plastic in the front part of the console.

It helped a lot of my games boot.

Laconic

Banned
Old School NeoGeo fighting game inputs.

It was as if a sadist had had a schizophrenic epileptic fit.

EDIT:

Also, in the 2600 game Dragonfire, if you flipped the console's power switch on and off really fast, it would glitch out the dragon's room, with all of the treasure lined up, making it easy as pie to nab all of it.

Lady Gaia

Dodging 200 lightning bolts in the Thunder Plains during FFX. I suspect it was just a rumor started by sadists until I learned the sadists in question designed the game.

Frosted

The Neo Geo selling for $700 dollars and $200 per cartdrige sounded like BS to me, then I saw it at Electronics Boutique.... And I was like wat???

Afrikan

I was going to say Blowing into NES cartridges... or putting two NES cartridges into a Nintendo, to get the bottom game to work.

but I guess we are talking about different things.

Laconic

Banned
Also, Phantasy Star 2 coming with a full blown hint book, with detailed maps of everything. Because, yeah... it was all for the best.

Laconic

Banned
But if we're going for bullshit gameplay tricks, not much is as bullshit as the trick edge of the screen spot where you were unhittable on the hardest couple of bosses in the NES version of Strider.

Except maybe those bosses themselves... they were rather bullshit.

NES Kid Icarus had a spot like that too, where Medusa simply could not hit you, and you could just stay there, and shoot her until she died.

Top Bottom