• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most bullshit sounding game "trick" that is actually real?

RTSD

Neo Member
was the hyperbeam time travel super metroid glitch mentioned cause that was the craziest one i ever got to work but i could only do it with my actual cartage and snes which i sadly do not have anymore, and wouldn't work in an emulator which makes me think it might have been specific to the NA ROM.

i haven't been able to find a video of it either but i swear i did it i read it off gamefaqs for Christs sake and was like ''this is some total BS" but it worked.

for reference it was when you had all the beams ( maybe all the gear too) and you were in that beginning area of crateria that has you falling down the large vertical passage where there are lots of small purple platforms, grey walls and chozo's jumping from side to side except on the first way down there are no chozos cause you didn't trigger from the morph ball yet. you would fall all the way down on the right side and get to the furthest down platform touching the right wall above the right door (opposite this door is the bare wall you bust through after beating mother brain at the end) get on this platform and bomb it which leads to another door which is either a power bomb or super missile door.

in this next area is where the trick works and you had to go to inventory and switch on all beams and switch between spazer and plazma really fast like on off on with really strict timing ( not that strict though, i did this well before i played SF so its not frame specific) and it will highlight so all beams are on. then you couldn't fire the weapon outright because the game would just crash but you had to run and face point blank the door you came out from and fire so only the blast dissipating on the wall animation played. then when you escaped the room everything was reset to before you triggered morph ball.

I'll keep looking for a video.

edit: found it, i don't remember the speed boots glitch being a necessary part of this tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHqruj-4Js

JaseMath

Guys, you CAN get Leo in your party in FFVI. I found this out on a BBS in 1998!

4-ff6llg_09_04.png

I don't know how many hours I spent trying to unlock the secret.

EDIT: Read the thread title wrong...

I worked on an obscure PS2/Xbox era licensed action game (I'm not going to mention it) and I put in a code to warp you straight to the last boss with all the weapons enabled. No one ever found it but it was super ridiculous. You had to go into one of the bonus rooms and wait until the timer counted down to zero. You also had to be standing in a certain place and hold down several buttons at once in a totally counter-intuitive manner. It sounds like the kind of thing you'd hear on the playground back in the NES days but it totally worked.

I was the only one who ever knew about it and I would have been in deep shit if it had gotten discovered since no one had authorized it. I was going to anonymously submit it to gamefaqs or something some day but I ended up forgetting what combination of buttons you needed to hold. Now it's lost forever. It makes me wonder how many other games have something like that hidden in them that no one will ever know about.

Feep

Banned
I like that there's a code to unlock the area you're already in.
I'd say they were just being completionist, but there's no code for Mumbo's Mountain.
It's likely they were able to actually type these on a keyboard during development. Can you imagine having to enter those codes manually every time you wanted to test something?

The castle is probably just an in-game way to modify that debug string that could normally be done with a keyboard.

I worked on an obscure PS2/Xbox era licensed action game (I'm not going to mention it) and I put in a code to warp you straight to the last boss with all the weapons enabled. No one ever found it but it was super ridiculous. You had to go into one of the bonus rooms and wait until the timer counted down to zero. You also had to be standing in a certain place and hold down several buttons at once in a totally counter-intuitive manner. It sounds like the kind of thing you'd hear on the playground back in the NES days but it totally worked.

I was the only one who ever knew about it and I would have been in deep shit if it had gotten discovered since no one had authorized it. I was going to anonymously submit it to gamefaqs or something some day but I ended up forgetting what combination of buttons you needed to hold. Now it's lost forever. It makes me wonder how many other games have something like that hidden in them that no one will ever know about.
Can't help but remind me of something similar. In Super Metroid enter the Golden Torizo room while holding A + B + X + Y. You will now have lots of items in your inventory (everything bar screw attack, lots of health and missiles and it is also possible to have >100% completion now as it is something like these add to completion % but leave the items for you to take again). You should probably use Morph ball mode while going into the room as having all beams equipped will cause the game to lock up upon firing (since all face buttons are held you will probably be shooting if walking in).

That took until 2010 to find partly because who is going to enter a random room late in the game while holding buttons.

Likewise I think NARPASSWORD took a long time to find in the original Metroid (infinite health and missiles as well as some weird progress bugs).

Illucio

Banned
There is the Mew Glitch in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

You go to Cerelean City, go past the Nugget Bridge catch a Abra, and then go to the patch to the left side of the screen. Save your game and walk down so the guy sees you and immediately press start. Use Teleport to return back to the Pokemon center, you can't open you menu now but go fight the Pokemon Trainer who owns Slowpoke who is past the nugget bridge. Then teleport one last time and walk the bridge and a level 7 Mew will appear ready to be caught.

Didn't believe until I did it myself. And let us not forget about the Missingno Glitch as well.

Skeptor

This doesn't sound impossible to me, especially since, unlike even NES, C64 socket is pretty simple to understand.

So it's possible for the hardware to know that the c64 socket is being rubbed by a wet finger?

What does simple to understand mean? By the hardware or programmers? I really want this to be real, but it sounds crazy!

angelic

Banned
So it's possible for the hardware to know that the c64 socket is being rubbed by a wet finger?

What does simple to understand mean? By the hardware or programmers? I really want this to be real, but it sounds crazy!

it would be able to detect multiple "inputs" to the port from the water on the finger making current flow across them all quickly.

SeanTSC

After watching years of AQDQ and SGDQ I am no longer able to think that any trick/glitch ect sounds like bullshit.

Top Bottom