• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the most bullshit sounding game "trick" that is actually real?

In MW3 for the Wii, up until the last patch that was pushed out for it (3 months after it came out...) there was a glitch where if you shot a grenade launcher in the air, then shot at the ground, you would randomly kill an enemy on the other team. No joke. Seriously bewildered someone figured it out and it was in the game. Had it gone public about a month later it probably wouldn't have been fixed. Game is still active sorta.

EDIT: This wasn't a hack to clarify. Literally ANYONE with a stock Wii could do this.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
In the Line Rider flash game, If you type "gif" and then press the alt and f4 keys together, it will make a gif of the first 5 seconds of your run. Sometimes it accidentally closes out of the browser if you don't have a long enough track, so I just try again if that happens.

Laconic

Banned
Pausing to stop the pits from fully opening in the NES Metal Gear was cheap, too.

...which brings to mind the One Eyed Rock Monster in Mega Man 1.

Man, I swear, the NES era was best era.

In Mega Man 3, holding certain buttons on the second controller enables certain effects.
Up + A = freezes all enemies
Right = super jump and pits won't kill you

Occam

Pay real world money to get in-game currency, lives, energy, fuel, etc.
Yes, that's bullshit alright, and no-one in their right mind should touch games like that.

Blizzard

Banned
The secret weapons for each main weapon in Super Metroid. I found them out just pressing a bunch of buttons and NONE of my friends believed me until they did it themselves.
I feel pretty dumb since I don't remember knowing about these. Surely I heard of them or saw them somewhere, but I had to look up how to do them after I saw this post.

Forkball

Yeah Pokemon has so many. You can easily exploit the coding if you know how it works. To this day it still blows my mind that you can get Mew legitimately in Pokemon Red/Blue. Just imagine if we knew that back int he day...

A recent favorite of mine is the infinite Knuckles jump in Sonic Boom. If you double jump, then pause, it resets his jump, so you can double jump again. Repeat ad infinitum. You can sequence break and access areas you're not supposed to.

It was hilarious when Game Grumps figured it out.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
"I swear you guys, if you move the date of your PS2 a week ahead, The End will totally die of old age!"
seems like ba even typing it out

Javier

Donkey Kong Country 2:

1) In Pirate Panic, enter K. Rool's cabin WITHOUT touching ANY bananas.
2) Immediately exit the cabin
3) Jump over the two bananas outside the cabin and procede to the 4 barrels that have a banana bunch on top of them.
4) Grab the banana bunch and go back to the cabin avoiding the bananas
5) Jump over the note(that means get over it without activating the text), grab the balloon, and jump over the note again
6) Repeat steps 3 and 4
7) Grab the Kremkoin that appears over the note
8) Now you have all 75 Kremcoins!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnUCq-Ya7Uc

dentoomw

The Mortal Kombat secret characters were pretty out there to unlock. Although I'm only familiar with MK1 Reptile, which probably is the most out there of them all. Earn a Double Flawless Victory without blocking once and then perform a Fatality in the Pit Stage, and only when a flying object appears in the background.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If you do the level select cheat for Sonic 2, remove the cart while it's still on and put Sonic 3 in, you'll have the level select for Sonic 3 unlocked after resetting the Genesis.
This is probably the only way that most people got the Sonic 3 level select to even work.

Pressing Start + A in title screen in Super Mario Brothers to continue on the level you died on.
Sounded too simple

THIS. For whatever reason, my two-year old self didn't have access to the instruction manual (where it supposedly explained this).

I learned of this two days ago, tried it and was completely floored.

In Super Mario Bros. 3, in world 1, crouch on a white box for about 15 seconds and you'll phase through the box and be able to run behind the scenery. Useful for getting the flute in World 1.

SoulUnison

Banned
THIS. For whatever reason, my two-year old self didn't have access to the instruction manual (where it supposedly explained this).

I've *never* gotten it to work.
I must have spent hours on it in kindergarten and first grade.

To Level Select Sonic 3 stages, I always had to lock-on Sonic and Knuckles and do the far, far easier version.

Being able to unlock classic players like Jordan, Dr J, Jabbar, Barkley, Chamberlain, Bird etc in NBA Live '96.

Also unlocking Bill Clinton in NBA Jam for SNES.

As a kid I remember discovering the Sonic 3D Blast level select screen on my own. I don't know what possessed me at the time to keep whacking the cart while it was in the console, but I got to the level select screen randomly one day and after that nailed down a pretty reliable method to get it every time. Here's some kid illustrating the precise science of cartridge wiggling. I looked it up just now and I was amazed that wiggling the cart is the only way to access this.

SoulUnison

Banned
As a kid I remember discovering the Sonic 3D Blast level select screen on my own. I don't know what possessed me at the time to keep whacking the cart while it was in the console, but I got to the level select screen randomly one day and after that nailed down a pretty reliable method to get it every time. Here's some kid illustrating the precise science of cartridge wiggling. I looked it up just now and I was amazed that wiggling the cart is the only way to access this.

Actually, you can get that level select screen through the "BARACUDA" button code.
B A Right A C Up Down A

It pops up from wiggling the cartridge because it's also programmed to show up as an error handler, when the game would otherwise crash. Kind of like Zelda: LttP's Chris Houlihan room.

Actually, you can get that level select screen through the "BARACUDA" button code.
B A Right A C Up Down A

It pops up from wiggling the cartridge because it's also programmed to show up as an error handler, when the game would otherwise crash. Kind of like Zelda: LttP's Chris Houlihan room.

Traveler's Tales has a history of doing that. Mickey Mania has the same thing, except it's a level warp that has a chance of sending you forward or backward.

B A Right A C Up Down A

Shows what I know! Oh well.

neoflcl

This is probably the only way that most people got the Sonic 3 level select to even work.

Yeah, the Sonic 3-only level select code is crazy hard, what with the hyper-sensitive button timing and whatnot. When I was a kid, my Genesis 2's reset button didn't work, so if I wanted level select, I had to do it the hard way. I always managed it after a lot of perserverence, though!

Years later when I got a different Genesis with a working reset button, I was floored that the cart-swap trick actually worked. Crazy stuff! Who even thinks to try that?

Zaventem

pigs.jpg

Before the guide leaked there was talk about this as a rumor, turned out to be true and it was later found out(much much later) you can also do this with the regular pigs. I did it with the hostile pigs, still one day i want to see what the special piggy looks like.

Ants

In Mega Man 3, holding certain buttons on the second controller enables certain effects.
Up + A = freezes all enemies
Right = super jump and pits won't kill you

I'm giving this one the win because I was so dubious I booted the game up to test it.

The Naboo Starfighter in Rogue Squadron. Enter a couple of gibberish codes with no confirmation sound and unlock a ship from a movie that had just come out in a game over a year old.

I remember that one. There was a bunch of different secret ships if I remember right.

The coin ship from SMB3

from the wiki:
The player must be in either Grass Land, Water Land, Sky Land or Ice Land.
A Hammer Bro must be on the map.
Mario or Luigi must finish a stage with a Coin total ending in a multiple of 11 (zero doesn't count).
The tens digit of the player's score must match the multiple of 11.
As each second left on the timer will award the player 50 points, the timer must be stopped on an even number so that the number of points received is a multiple of 100. Alternatively, an odd number will work if the score is 50 points off from the correct multiple.

Randam

2 year old?
You were playing videogames at the age of two?And you could already read?

zanoonga

Neo Member
Playing Demon's Souls after Dark Souls 1 and 2, sprinting into a waist height wall will let you jump up on top of it. Blew my fucking mind.

Haha! I did this by accident yesterday, when trying to get a hold of the Thiefs ring in Boletaria Palace.
I didn't realize that you had to sprint until i saw your post. I thought it was a one-of-a-kind ledge that you could jump over.

I always wondered how the more complex tricks come to be. It can't be trial and error finding them? Has to be leaked by a dev who put it in in the first place?

ss_lemonade

Blow into the cartridge, then insert it about 95% into the NES and slam it down against the plastic in the front part of the console.

It helped a lot of my games boot.
Wasn't it proven that you never had to push down on the cartridge for it to work on US NES toaster models?

I always wondered how the more complex tricks come to be. It can't be trial and error finding them? Has to be leaked by a dev who put it in in the first place?

I imagine it was a combo of easter eggs and giving the 'cheat codes' sections of game mags something to run back in the day.

You need to win a battle against a pokemon weak enough so that the Nidoking won't reach level 2 to jump to 100.

It doesn;t have to be a Nidoking. The Pokemon you get is depends on the special stat of the last Pokemon you fought so it's possible to get things like Arcanine, Gyarados, Mew, etc.

This is only for yellow? I had blue back in the day, wanna know if I missed out on some good childhood.

jpax

There is a trick where you can have infinite instant revives as long as you pay real money for it. It is an upcoming game, forgot the name...

Mephala

Morrowind
Eltonbrand
A stronger version of Goldbrand.
After obtaining Goldbrand you must successfully complete the Shashev's Key quest. In order to do this you need to become a vampire and talk to Sirilonwe in the Vivec Mages Guild. You must have Shashev's key (he must be dead for you to obtain it), Goldbrand, and exactly 11171 gold on you when you talk to Sirilonwe. When all parameters are met the script will run and you should see the message "Go to Hell, Carolina!" You will now have Eltonbrand in your inventory rather than Goldbrand.

There is no way to hide vampirism in Morrowind. If your personality score is too low, most news attack you on sight, including guards. Most npcs even if they tolerate you, will not offer services so this sounds unlikely enough as it is.
Then the exact amount of gold is kind of suspicious. Not to mention it doesn't take your Gold, you just need the exact amount.
Then the random message. Who is Carolina?

tengiants

A few years after SotN came out I was replaying it and was hit by a medusa head and turned to stone. Instead of turning into a stone Alucard I turned into a big stone demon. I played that game a lot back then and had never had that happen. Unfortunately I was by myself when it happened and no one believed me when I told them about it.

I've tried to find more information about it over the years but would come up empty handed. Just now after reading this thread I googled it and now see others seeing this and apparently it's random and it's rare. I feel vindicated.

Here's a neat one most people probably don't know about, for the US version of DanceDanceRevolution EXTREME for PS2:

There's a song in the arcade version of DDR EXTREME called "Memories" that, under normal circumstances, is never unlocked in the US PS2 version. It's not a particularly noteworthy, difficult, or even good song, but people who looked into the game's data found that the data for "Memories" did indeed exist on the disc but the song could never be unlocked through normal play, and Konami stayed completely silent about it and never even recognized it as a thing. Most people just assumed that it was planned to be included, but was axed at the last second for whatever reason...

... until two years later, in 2006, when Konami totally randomly and without warning revealed a button-based code to unlock the song as part of a fucking Burger King promotion. Keep in mind, one or two more North American DDR games for PS2 had already come out by this point, and people had long since moved on from EXTREME and the random mystery of Memories being in the game but not being able to be unlocked or accessed in any way.

It was so weird to pop the game back in, put in the code, see that it actually worked, and finally unlock that last elusive song... which, again, isn't even that good and certainly not much of a bonus for arcade players who had played the song a million and one times by then anyway. Kinda crazy that Konami put in a song that they knew they had no intention of ever letting people unlock for another two years!

Saving your game in MGS with a timestamp of 11:11:11...

hhhheheheheheheheehehehe

I'll bite. What does this do?

Top Bottom