• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst farming/grinding you've had to do in a game to get an item?

ReMaKe

This can be because of the tedious process that was involved, or the amount of hours you had to put in.

I'm sure if I thought about it hard enough my answer would probably change, but considering it was the reason for the thread, I'm a have to go with Dark Souls 3.

Getting the darkmoon blade. It involves killing silver knights over and over in order to get a "proof of concord kept" which is a very rare drop, and from my testing it seems I got 1 every 45-60 mins. Thing is, you need 30....

Just finished this after about 2-3 days...

Why games do this is beyond me, unnecessary farming.

What is the worst farming/grinding you've had to do in a game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I spent 2 years, probably averaging around 5h per day farming for a Dragon Slayer in Legend of Mir 2.

So around 3500 hours.

ffdgh

Blitz Ball.
Dodging 200 lightning bolts.
That chocobo race.
Butterfly hunting.
Fortune and Luck Sphere hunting.

Fun times...

Zubz

Banned
I got the Order of the Silver Wossname in Kingdom of Loathing. I already started the war without finding out there was a mathematical equation to being able to wipe out both sides simultaneously, so not only was this a grind, & not only was this a grind that required a lot of planning, it was one I was only successful at out of pure luck.

Platy

basically 2 months almost nonstop on a summer vacation to get a Skeleton Worker Card in Ragnarok Online

xTUcJ30.png

I needed 2 ... I got 1 and a second Whisper Card so I sold the whisper for cheap and got the second one because fuck this shit

Spent five hours grinding out Pink Puffs in Final Fantasy IV (PS1) to get the pink tail. Never got it and wasted an afternoon in the process.

Some FF XI drops were pretty brutal.

I've done three Anima Weapons in FFXIV because I hate myself. Each one probably took me a few dozen hours between all of the steps.

FF 14: the fate grind for the zodiac weapon atmas.

I quit because of it. Just started playing again now I'm grinding tomes for me anima weapon
-_-

Still better than fates tho.

^^^ person above me gets it

Kneefoil

I rarely grind for items. Grinding Super Saiyan 2 in Dragon Ball Xenoverse was quite awful though. I don't think I ever actually got it, now that I think about it. It's a frustrating fight, and you also have to get lucky to get it. I'm sure the game still has worse grinds in it, however, because the Parallel Quests keep getting more and more unfair the higher their number is.

nahlakhai

I got an Eye of Sulfuras in WoW but had no ingots or whatever was needed to craft the Hand, so I grinded 16 hours a day for like a week to get gold to buy them off the AH.

ShinZed

Lethia, you're in the Plane of Hate again?

Farming for my enchanter epic in Everquest. It apparently wasn't even a super rare drop, but it took me ages. Not to mention that it wasn't exactly a safe place to get back to if you died.

laxu

Any Dark Souls 3 multiplayer covenant items except Sunbro stuff. Either terrible drop rates from AI enemies or you need to be really good at PvP. Requiring 30 for rank 2 is just ridiculous when Sunbros are the only ones that can consistently get the covenant items.

I'm currently going through the hell that is farming black and red metals in Let It Die. Shit ain't fun but the weapons and armor are worth it.

CSJ

This is what depresses me playing games as you get older and have more responsibilities, it was fine being able to play something stupid like 16 hours a day; but when you have a couple of hours a day if at all, the games you once loved to play become a second job.

I understand it's part of the hook that keeps people playing longer, have all the really rare stuff a grind-fest but old me wants it to go away :( There's always a fresh supply of people with too much time like I once had.

I've done a lot, can't really think what the longest is, probably something in WoW though, or Anarchy Online.

Sushi Nao

Soul of Iron Golem in a handheld Castlevania.. Circle of the Moon? Enter the same room, spam Une, leave, repeat hundreds of times.

Still don't have a Pure Bladestone.

Chocobo breeding and racing in FFVII felt like a huge grind.

It's definitely not the worst I've done, but the worst I've ever felt was with the mineral planet scanning in Mass Effect 2, solely from my roommate's questions about it.

"Are you enjoying this?"
"No"
"So why are you doing it?"
"To get a better ending."
"So the game is actively trying to make you hate it."

EmbersToAshes

Neo Member
Materia farming for a perfect relic weapon in FFXIV. I've never known a grind like it. In FFXIV, materia is a drop from levelling and destroying gear. It drops in multiple tiers, with the highest tier more common (ha) from higher level gear. Of course, there are numerous types of materia, so if by some miracle you roll the highest tier Materia, you've got to hope you roll a desirable type on top. This would be all well and good, except some materia is worth a fortune and some you might as well just drop and save yourself the bother of selling. So, for the best relic weapon build, you had to infuse 70 materia, of ascending rarities. Again, all good - you can just buy most of it up until tier 5, but then you're gonna need somewhere in the vicinity of 20 tier 5 materia. So you commit to the grind, gather your materia, which is likely to take weeks - but oh, forgot to mention, materia infusion is unsuccessful most of the time at these later stages, with the last infusion being around a 10 percent success rate. Have fun throwing down 30mil or grinding until you give up. :)

mcz117chief

Fenrir lvl 7

Anyone who played Ace Combat infinity knows how much life this thing takes away from you (couple hundred hours).

VpomRurd

Runescape the thread.

Not specifically obtaining items but grinding for the Max cape was a huge grind. Took 4-5 months of daily playing and that was after it was made much easier than in the past. I enjoyed myself though, I love to grind.

I didn't have to do it, but I once had a save file for Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1 where I had every job and skill maxed out for Ramza and 4 other custom characters done at the first random battle opportunity, with no progression beyond that point.

I was stupidly over leveled for 75% of the game, but I did it so I could play through the game with complete flexibility in every battle, however I want, whenever I want.

atpbx

Brakk Barrel.

The last component I need to manufacture the brakk.

It's been over two years.

Fuck DE, and fuck their stupid RNG.

d00d3n

The farming for the OP accessories in the Lost Odyssey DLC was horrible. Took me 5-10 hours or so. I listened to some great episodes of The Howard Stern Show while I did it, though, which made it more bearable ...

Probably something in MapleStory.

I don't really grind in games anymore. Unless its grinding a couple of levels in a RPG like Dragon Quest or something. I don't mind that. But not hours and hours of grinding for a trophy or something. Its not worth it.

Comandr

EverQuest is the only true answer. Sitting in front of your computer for 8+ hours at a time, leaving it on day and night at a camp, having someone take shifts with you so you could sleep, hoping to god you could trust them to watch closely for a spawn or placeholder,
and then praying to any god that will listen that IF the actual mob in question spawns, it drops the rare item that you're looking for.

I'm looking at you
3a8abd91367beda453b87ff2a1fa1a78.png

Still true. Sitting taking days to get a chance at a drop, or months to finish your epic quest because a hilarious amount of people are camping the spawn. A time before instances. Yep.

120v

The Division

why have gear sets specified for solo players when there's virtually no way to obtain them solo.

Eldieme Necropolis coffer key took like a week of forming parties. Even the rare times it dropped I kept losing the damn roll.

Still was more fun than anything I did in two playthroughs to 60 of FFXIV.

Top Bottom