• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is this narrative that Sony skipping E3 was a good choice?

FranXico

Personally I think an E3 show would have been a bigger hit, but maybe they got burnt by the poor reception of their 2018 presentation (which I thought ok)
I also would have preferred them to show up, but I disagree on the 2018 show. I thought it was just bad. Very slim on content, poorly paced and self-indulgent.

Sony isn't there in any capacity right? I get why they didn't do a big 1 hour show, that seems like it would have been a waste of time and money, but it is a bit strange to not be on the show floor doing more demos. I watched a giantbomb video interview of the guy that's working on the Iron Man VR game, and the way that kind of came off was that they didn't really have a home, yet theywere still there. I think in this capacity Sony probably needed to show up, support devs like that by bringing more presence that this is coming along.
It's obviously not the end of the world, and I'm sure we'll see them at another showing or PSX in December (if they're still doing those). Kind of strange that they didn't show up in any way though.

FranXico

Sony isn't there in any capacity right? I get why they didn't do a big 1 hour show, that seems like it would have been a waste of time and money, but it is a bit strange to not be on the show floor doing more demos. I watched a giantbomb video interview of the guy that's working on the Iron Man VR game, and the way that kind of came off was that they didn't really have a home, yet theywere still there. I think in this capacity Sony probably needed to show up, support devs like that by bringing more presence that this is coming along.
It's obviously not the end of the world, and I'm sure we'll see them at another showing or PSX in December (if they're still doing those). Kind of strange that they didn't show up in any way though.
That is one of the reasons some people believe that it was mostly to cut costs. Since they likely have another event late this year, and one which is both going to be the anniversary of the brand and the unveiling of their next flagship product, they would want to concentrate efforts.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s not no news. I’d rather have a steady stream throughout the year of things like Nintendo Directs from all platform holders and major publishers than a big blow out at one arbitrary date for an outdated conference.

Announce and release videos, put demos and some games out immediately and to hell with cringy stage shows and nerd filled convention centers.
Nintendo does directs all year AND e3.

Last edited:
That is one of the reasons some people believe that it was mostly to cut costs. Since they likely have another event late this year, and one which is both going to be the anniversary of the brand and the unveiling of their next flagship product, they would want to concentrate efforts.
25th Anniversary? It would make sense to make a big deal out of that. In the end I don't think it hurts them in any way, I know people love to see new surprise games announced, but it's not a big deal to wait 5 months to get some news.

Ms could of come out with an e3 show that made men and women simultaneously explode in an sea of pleasurable bodily juices and the narrative would of still been a negative spin.

The facts stand though....Sony didn’t bring anything to e3 and it paints a pretty grim picture for launch titles on ps5 if your after anything new as development to launch windows from things being shown at e3 tends to be a good 12-24 months (or 4 years for some Sony ips) so I hope you all like sizzle reels and 8k remasters

Ms could of come out with an e3 show that made men and women simultaneously explode in an sea of pleasurable bodily juices and the narrative would of still been a negative spin.

The facts stand though....Sony didn’t bring anything to e3 and it paints a pretty grim picture for launch titles on ps5 if your after anything new as development to launch windows from things being shown at e3 tends to be a good 12-24 months (or 4 years for some Sony ips) so I hope you all like sizzle reels and 8k remasters

the ps4 had barely any games for the first two years.

can someone list the ps3 exclusives compared to ps4 exclusives. its huge difference. huge.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe MS having a decent / average show is a display of next level tactical genius. They are holding their good stuff for when they have to counter Sony. MS only showing the bare minimum means they won e3 and have changed the landscape for marketing strategy forever.

this is what some sony fans sound like right now lol.[\spoiler]

Last edited:
Or maybe MS having a decent / average show is a display of next level tactical genius. They are holding their good stuff for when they have to counter Sony. MS only showing the bare minimum means they won e3 and have changed the landscape for marketing tactics forever.

this is what some sony fans sound like right now.[\spoiler]
Possibly...I didn’t find the show that bad as it really showed off the value of ganepass to me...if you think about it all these first party studios and content that’s being cooked up is going to be free....when their competitors are still charging full price on top of a monthly subscription

Xenon

It's like chess, winning is as much about making the opponent do a bad move... as it is to do the right move for yourself. If they were to be present they were better show up with something impressive, so they decided to skip, give a break year to their marketing people... and hopefully plan their next series of moves better, and I feel they made the right move. However there is always this suspicion that Microsoft are going to make a strong move at some point, it has been a long time coming, many don't even count on it yet, but they are a strong adversary, so who knows what they have in store with all those studios?

Yeah it's like a chess tournament where fans of a player who didn't show up heckle they players who did and the fans that came to watch them. All this while bragging how smart it was for their favorite not to play.

yurinka

Most of the games of the E3 plus other huge exclusives will be on Sony's platform.

They will have biggest portfolio for the remaining of the current fiscal year and some of them as at least console exclusive:
Shenmue III, Death Stranding, FFVIIR, Cyberpunk 2077, Avengers, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, CoD, FIFA 2020, Watchdogs Legion, Gods & Monsters, Rainbow Six Quarantine, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Watchdogs Legion, Roller Champions, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein Youngblood, in addition to TLOU2 and Dreams (and not confirmed version or date but seems clear that at some point willl be released at PS4/PS5) Ghostwire: Tokyo, Death Loop, BGE2, Wild, Panzer Dragoon...

They will continue kicking asses with PS4 until at least the PS5 release around November 2020 with many huge titles that don't need extra marketing effort from them at E3. And regarding next gen they don't need to worry about MS: their next gen plans seems just try to match the already known Sony offerings for PS5, PS Now and Remote Play.

Last edited:
Yeah it's like a chess tournament where fans of a player who didn't show up heckle they players who did and the fans that came to watch them. All this while bragging how smart it was for their favorite not to play.
What id the guy who showed up managed to beat himself instead of the missing opponent?

Or I don't know, he managed to fall on the board while trying to sit down, hit his head on the corner of the table, then he bled to death while everybody watched horrified.

Also, the chess match is not about E3, it's about the whole business, and how MS/Sony get people excited about their platform, E3 is barely a possible move in the chess game... it can end up in a chess mate if you pull it off right, or it can be your down fall.

Last edited:

Norse

Sony had a nice 90 min show all ready to go and then their new censorship team deleted all the "inappropriate" stuff so they only showed what was left.......Nothing!!!

Silvawuff

I think we're in an awkward phase between generations, and it shows in how each company is approaching it. Most of the good stuff I saw won't be until next year anyway. Sony was smart to skip. That said, I think E3 is less relevant than it's ever been because it's so easy for a company to announce something and get buzz with the social state of the internet being what it is. We knew about half the shit releasing before E3 even started.

odhiex

Sony has decided, only time will tell whether this is good or bad. Of course, they are now preparing for the PS5 reveals but that does not mean that they don't have anything new for this year/next year.

There are a couple of new exclusives in their "State of Play" direct video series, but one could say none of them are AAA high profile titles. The rest of 2019 PS4 exclusives line-up still include: that new IP from Kojima, a possible Dreams release, the Medievil remake, and more.

I don't say that I am fully supporting their decision to skip E3 this year, but I understand the reasons behind this. Personally, E3 is still an exciting week for gaming with or without Sony's presence. I think Sony has a different plan for their Playstation showcase, and E3 is no longer fits their plan.

Last edited:

Three

ok but thats their fault then. thats like a fucking student not showing up to the exam and the teacher giving him a passing grade.
OK I'm down for weird academic anagolies. 😂
It's like Will Hunting not giving a shit about your problem sheets, setting it on fire, not going to the interview but sending his friends (third party) and going after what's important, the girl (next gen). Nobody cares if he sat his test/interviews or not.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Anyone who thinks Sony skipped E3 to focus on Next gen are having an absolute laugh.

MS basically threw $$ to show all the 3rd Party trailers and Sony wanted to hold back all the good 1st party for their own event.

I wonder if Sony and MS are under the impression that showing gameplay is risky now as people are more aware of bullshots, downgrades and the potential backlash on release.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Anyone who thinks Sony skipped E3 to focus on Next gen are having an absolute laugh.

MS basically threw $$ to show all the 3rd Party trailers and Sony wanted to hold back all the good 1st party for their own event.

I wonder if Sony and MS are under the impression that showing gameplay is risky now as people are more aware of bullshots, downgrades and the potential backlash on release.

Uhh.. They are.

Death Stranding is releasing next year

They have a time exclusive deal for Final Fantasy 7: REMAKE

Dreams, TLOU, GoT, Shenmue 3 and Ni-Oh 2 are the among the last games being released on the PS4

Third Part games are going to sell better on the PS4, which means they don't need to throw money just to advertise their games at their conference.

All of this points to the fact that they're finishing up with their big releases this generation and preparing for next generation.

Senhua

The only one I don't understand is why when MS did exclusive deal to bar Tomb Raider got a completely different feedback than Sony did with VII Remake?
Both deal have the same purpose: that is to bar competitor to gain access for the game, the only difference is MS tell the public while Sony keep their silence which is worse cause we cannot know if this deal full or timed only.

Last edited:
There are only two good reasons I can think of. One is if they had nothing good to say or show off, and the other is if they wanted to avoid hassles with organizers.

rolandss

I assume the answer is really simple. They’re going to announce the PS5 this year at an event and they want to save all the surprises for that. It’s either not ready to be revealed yet or they want to do it separately so they don’t need to share the spotlight.

Top Bottom