• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is venomous, has thirty legs, and was hiding inside my closet? [w/pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
omg clockspider :(((((

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I can do spiders. But if I ever, EVER see one of these in Texas... I'm to Alaska.

Spotting centipledes where I live (fourth floor of an apartment) is kind of a special event to me. Kind of like playing somethng like Pokemon and running into a legendary. The following battle is always epic.

Clock spider is just a huntsman, they're extremely common in Australia. In fact, the other day I came home and found one about that size on the wall of my apartment.

Generally speaking, I deal with them by relocating them to an environment that suits both of us better: outside. Grab a glass bowl and a piece of cardboard and you can trap them and have them out of the way before they even realise anything is up.

This one, however, was the angriest spider I have ever handled. Once it was trapped under the glass it started to lunge at my hands. My roomie and I were pretty fascinated by it all told, they're usually terrified.

We took it downstairs and I put the bowl down in the garden outside my building then removed the cardboard to let him free. He paused a second then scurried over the side of the bowl and ran at my legs. I half laughed, half yelped as I jumped back from the garden.

He stopped before he got all that close though. Eyed me for a moment then disappeared into the bushes. I remember it vividly because spiders just don't act like that, contrary to what their many enemies in the insect world try to tell people.

Very weird.

DoctorWho said:
I live in Toronto and have these in my house.
Alberta here, I get centipedes in my house but nothing like the thing in the OP. Much shorter legs, and the largest one I've seen was around 4cm long. I almost always find them dead on my carpet, like they tried to cross the expanse of it and died along the way.

wgvsyu.jpg

Halcyon

I had one of these centipedes crawling up the side of my cubicle just now. He went up and over to the other side. I got up and looked at him, told him if he just stays over there we are cool. I went back to my desk and the little #$@#$ was on my keyboard. I hate bugs. He died from the business end of a book called "What Color Is Your Parachute-A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers" which HR gave all of us because we're all fired at the end of June.

His legs are still twitching in the binding.

Apath

Mom found one of these in her bathroom a while back. Scared the shit out of me to go near it considering I'd never seen anything like it before. My little brother crushed it with his shoe.

I would honestly shit my pants if I had one of them in the room. Fuck that.

It's bad enough when a daddy long-legs fly's in through the window.

I hate these things so much. The way the suddenly appear is the worst. You turn around for a few seconds, and there's one in the middle of the wall when you turn back.

I've been finding a couple of these every week in my apartment and wasn't sure exactly what they were. Thanks for letting me know, GAF.

I'm glad to find that at the very least, they're somewhat beneficial. That said, if they show their ugly faces to me, they're heading straight for the toilet.

anddo0

I kill at least a dozen of these each summer. The majority of them have been too close for comfort, usually high up above the wall my bed is leaning against. I sleep with one eye open in fear that one will make a move on me.:lol My weapon of choice is flip-flops, these things are fast, but time it right and you'll get a kill 8/10 times.. Heck most of the time, simply turning on the light will freeze them in their tracks, the key is to time your attack, don't give them the opportunity for escape.. I don't have a problem with other pests, so I kill these things on sight.

Ah, now I know what these things are.

I found a few of them in an apartment I lived in a few years ago. They freaked the hell out of me, so fast and so many legs. Glad that I only lived there for a year and haven't seen them in any other place I've lived.

anddo0 said:
I kill at least a dozen of these each summer. The majority of them have been too close for comfort, usually high up above the wall my bed is leaning against. I sleep with one eye open in fear that one will make a move on me.:lol My weapon of choice is flip-flops, these things are fast, but time it right and you'll get a kill 8/10 times.. Heck most of the time, simply turning on the light will freeze them in their tracks, the key is to time your attack, don't give them the opportunity for escape.. I don't have a problem with other pests, so I kill these things on sight.

I was always so scared when I would miss though. If one of those things ever jumped on my face I'm pretty sure I'd be traumatized.

Wallach

The thing that really catches you off guard when you do run into one of these by surprise is their speed. Unreal.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Aaron said:
Glad I only get spiders around here... lots and lots of spiders. I personally don't mind spiders at all, though their webs sometimes get in the way. Only bug I won't kill on first sight.

But Spiders aren't bugs......

Anyways at my parents home all that we usually get are Spiders, Earwigs, and what are called "Stinkbugs". Personally I hate the last two: Earwigs because their name is fucking creepy and they have that pointed curved end on the end, Stinkbugs because they are fucking annoying dropping from the ceiling and like their name says they stink especially when you dispose of them poorly. I usually don't kill spiders unless they are like yellow or some shit and look highly poisonous. I'm more annoyed by a fucking fly that comes in and won't leave me alone, at least the spiders take care of them :D

Japan loves fucking Beetles. Like someone said earlier in the thread it is probably because their bugs grow fucking huge.

My one friend is scared of centipedes and millipedes and my other friend is scared of spiders. Pretty hilarious :lol

lunarworks said:
House centipedes. I hate those things. They have a habit of appearing on the wall while your back is turned.

Yes! You never seem them crawling out of a hole in the wall or something. Just nothing one second and then BAM! they're six feet up the wall. They have horror-movie timing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Doesn't Canada (I believe near Newfoundland) get some crazy migrant fly problem every year?

zoukka

Fuck just imagine that scurrying around superfast in your room.

Fuck any country that has centipedes or cockroaches.

UFRA

The ones I see here in Wisconsin look more silver/grey rather than that distinct yellow color.

They're creepy since they move so fast, but I guess I'd rather have them than the damn wolf spiders that come out of my basement.

pirata

EvaPlusMinus said:
I can do spiders. But if I ever, EVER see one of these in Texas... I'm to Alaska.

Don't worry, I've never seen anything like this, and I've lived in Texas my whole life!
I'll assume you're okay with tarantulas...

we had those centipedes in San Diego all the time, creep as fuck and fast. But I haven't seen one since moving to Seattle. Excellent. I hate bugs.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
pirata said:
Don't worry, I've never seen anything like this, and I've lived in Texas my whole life!
I'll assume you're okay with tarantulas...

I live in Austin. Don't think I've ever seen a tarantula around here before. A scorpion or snakes every now and then, but those things are badass.

KittyKittyBangBang said:
I would love to get my hands on one of those things, put it under the covers on my wifes side of the bed :lol :lol :lol

If you did that and then your wife axe murdered you, I think the jury would find her completely innocent. They might give her a present.

Weird that I'd see a thread about bugs today. I took a picture of this guy when I was at my car the other day. I have no idea what it is, but it's cool!

2iig876.jpg

Not cool enough to touch though...

Because they eat household pests, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings, but because of their alarming appearance, frightening speed, and painful bite, few homeowners are willing to share a home with them.

This is a great sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom