• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is venomous, has thirty legs, and was hiding inside my closet? [w/pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saitou said:
Am I the only one to find this extremely alarming?

alien4_iconic-shot-head_001_1198188191.jpg

"What do you mean, "*They* cut the power"? How could they cut the power, man? They're animals!"

Subitai

Defuser said:
Have fun with spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish and other household pests now.
This!

They come up the chimney in my house. My only issue with them is they're not big enough to take care of the Brown Marmorated stink bugs:

BrownMarmoratedStinkBug.jpg

tokkun

Well since my thread got bumped I guess I can post the addendum to the story.

Later that summer in 2007, a few weeks after making this thread, I awoke in the middle of the night with an extremely painful insect sting on my chest. I don't know whether it was caused by one of the house centipedes or not, but it was a level of pain way beyond your typical spider bite or wasp sting. In fact it hurt so bad that I briefly considered going to a hospital (since there are occasionally brown recluse and black widows in that area of the country) before the pain started to die down.

Also, during the same summer, I was playing Guitar Hero and was in the middle of some complex section of a song when this black blur comes across my peripheral vision and hits me in the chest. I finish the tough section, pause the game, and look down to see a huge stag beetle about 3 inches from my face. I ended up trapping it against my chest with a styrofoam cup, walking outside, and whipping the cup. Later I learned that stag beetles are apparently worth good money.

Anyway I don't live in that house anymore.

Subitai

-House centipedes feed on spiders, bedbugs, termites, cockroaches, silverfish and other household pests. They kill their prey by injecting venom through their fangs.

Also, I'd rather have these than those pests. These things only bite me if I accidentally role on top of it, unlike Bedbugs which literally live off of you and only you or whoever lives with you. And, even if you kill them after throwing out lots of wood furniture just to be safe, an exterminator might miss the eggs, which can live for a year and half.

Termites...House Centipedes don't make me take out a loan to repair/replace part of a home.

Aesius

I almost never see bugs in my house.

Then again, there are very few trees in my neighborhood, and none near my house. I like trees, but it's a worthy trade-off to not see some of the abominations posted in this thread.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
You guys need to start cleaning your room. Remove all your old pizza boxes and moldy Mountain Dew bottles and you'll have less insects. Maybe even vacuum too.

Guevara

lethial said:
You guys need to start cleaning your room. Remove all your old pizza boxes and moldy Mountain Dew bottles and you'll have less insects. Maybe even vacuum too.

Clutter too. Insects love old books, dusty corners, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom