• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is/was the sexiest looking console?

Baron_Calamity said:
I always thought the Japanese Atari 2800 had quite a bit of sex appeal. Especially for a design released in 1983.

Atari2800.jpg

I don't know if that's the best looking console, but it has to be the best of its era. That's really slick.

AEGISX said:
dreamcast, altough i dont like that console at all, because there was no game I liked on that console except RE.

You serious? What about Shenmue 1 & 2, Soul Calibur & Jet Set Radio? These are classics!

-KRS-

TheExodu5 said:
When you don't look a it from an angle, yes it looks ugly. The dimensions are terrible...square consoles never look good.

Gamecube with the Game Boy Player attachment says hi!

Dreamcast combines simplicity with decently curved lines. It looks like a console but not like a toy. The hardware is one of the biggest jumps console-tech has ever made in the 3d era and still is really small.

Dreamcast is such a beast, Segas best effort.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Probably one of these:

Dreamcast - sleek and compact and a really nice weight when you pick it up. Feels jam-packed.

PSone - tiny little curved PSX and in a really nice colour.

Saturn - Black mk2. Looks like a DC.

Multi-Mega - looks like a chunky portable CD player but brilliant piece of engineering.

Syn23

WoodenLung said:
Edit : and Vita too, damn that looks sexy, if only that interface didn't completely ruin any pictures of it.
No interface photo, also showing the nice cradle.
Btw it seems that another different interface will be selectable.
O3ox0.jpg

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Sorry, I didn't see it.

Damon Bennet said:
Dreamcast combines simplicity with decently curved lines. It looks like a console but not like a toy. The hardware is one of the biggest jumps console-tech has ever made in the 3d era and still is really small.

Dreamcast is such a beast, Segas best effort.

Agree with you 100%. SEGA Dreamcast was a true GAME console. Mindblowing. And some games still looks nice today.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sylver said:
You really find this ugly?
bSqzX.jpg

silver is ok, but they're photographing it to look nice. The standard black one in person just looks nasty - that rough plastic is cheap as anything. Much much prefer the original piano black. Ceramic white even better.

0apoL.jpg

Majine

Banned
Syn23 said:
No interface photo, also showing the nice cradle.
Btw it seems that another different interface will be selectable.
O3ox0.jpg

Sorry, I didn't see it.
First time I've seen that. Well, Vita certainly wins the cradle war against the 3DS, even tho this one most likely does not cone with the handheld.

In regards of design I love all the Game Boy models, Advance and SP are beautiful and simple, the Light and Micro are awesome too. But nothing tops the original block:

gameboy.jpg

Elegant and clean (love the speaker and the color of the buttons), also a special place in my heart is always reserved for the transparent model. It was goddam cool to se the insides of the machine, I honestly wish handheld consoles today would go for transparent shells.

EDIT: Also, that boot up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZy08NsG2FM

ScOULaris

Maybe I'm weird, but I never liked the look of the PSPGo. The buttons are way too small and close to the upper screen.

The Vita looks amazing, but I agree that the interface brings it down a notch in pictures.

Dreamcast by far, although of the current gen I would put the Wii pretty high up there as well. It's amazing to me how ugly in general consoles typically are but the DC stands out as just a damn beautiful design.

Regrading the OP: really the PS2? I'd say it should lose points because it took them a revision to get anything decent but even the slim was pretty ugly compared to something like the DC. If we are going to talk revisions though, the smaller PS1 was pretty sexy.

Syn23

Majine said:
First time I've seen that. Well, Vita certainly wins the cradle war against the 3DS, even tho this one most likely does not cone with the handheld.
It doesn't, indeed.

Majine

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
The Wii U is still pretty small as consoles go, it just has a weird orientation which makes it appear long.
Come on, son. Guess why Nintendo's press images are from the front only.

Jezan

synt4x said:
I thought the N64 was pretty sweet. It really looks like a game console.
41mFjC8yumL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But the Gamecube probably takes the cake, only because how compact the design is.

Edit: Yeah the European SNES/Super Famicom is also really good looking. It REALLY looks like a game console.
This.

I always liked the N64 design, but most people don't like it (And I like the controller too)

Degen

DangerStepp said:
Wow, I had never seen those before! Are these pics they released whenever it was announced?
yeah, Google says late 2003 which sounds about right

Foffy said:
Why's the analog a button?
I think the front side was supposed to be nothing but touch pads that you could slide your fingers on. the world was not ready.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
synt4x said:
I thought the N64 was pretty sweet. It really looks like a game console.
41mFjC8yumL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But the Gamecube probably takes the cake, only because how compact the design is.

Edit: Yeah the European SNES/Super Famicom is also really good looking. It REALLY looks like a game console.
Saddest looking console (sad Koala face with a mustache).

NpruP.jpg

Atari 2600 Jr. very futuristic looking:
Vcs2600jr.jpg

Atari Lynx II, just love this design, so much better than the first one:
lynx.jpg

CD32, always liked the angular look of it:
Commodore_Amiga_CD32.jpg

Kimosabae

Banned
Am I the only one that has stopped caring about what my consoles look like? If I had to wager, I'd say the 360 Slim is the sleekest looking machine I've seen, but it doesn't elicit any admiration, or anything.

*shrugs*

Must be that late 20's cynicism creeping in.

ShinNL

PS2slim > PSone > PS3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS2 > PSX >>>>>>>>>>> PS3slim

3DS > DS.lite > DSi >>>>>>>>>>> DS

Wii > SNES (PAL) >>>>>>> NGC > N64 > NES > SNES (US)

Then someone posted a picture of the Game Boy Micro, realized I had 2 of those and forgot about all other hardware. Screw everything, Micro > ALL.

And Apple people... grrrrrr.

Top Bottom