• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is/was the sexiest looking console?

ScOULaris

It felt like the right time to make a good ol' fashioned console-pr0n thread. We've spent enough time arguing over which console had the best game library, the best controllers, the best support for a particular genre, and the best overall legacy. Now let's take some time to give the hardware designers some due accolades and vote for which console simply looked the coolest.

For me, the answer is crystal clear:

The Playstation fuckin' 2.

820px-PS2-Fat-Console-Set.jpg

The PS2 launch was, in my opinion, the most exciting in this industry's history. Sony had found huge success with its PlayStation brand after a dominating performance by their first console, and expectations were sky-high for the PSX's successor. The upgrade in audiovisual capabilities from the previous hardware was enormous, and the system's launch synced perfectly with gaming's increasing scope and mainstream influence. Not only was this new console able to play eye-popping PS2 games, but it also supported your entire PS1 game library and PLAYED FREAKIN' DVD movies as well! In the year 2000, DVD playback was a huge selling point for the console with regard to the growing mainstream market. The PS2 launch wasn't without its issues (not enough supply to meet demand and hardware malfunctions on the first run of PS2's), but this was Sony at its best when it comes to growing and marketing their brand.

But enough about all that. Just look at how fucking sleek and awesome that console is. If all of the features weren't enough to entice buyers, the sleek/modern design that was built to fit in with the rest of your home entertainment equipment sure as hell did. While few people actually used the console in its vertical position, it was marketed as such because it gave off a very powerful (almost monolithic) vibe and stood out from the rest of the competition. To me, the design of the PS2 is better than all of the current-gen consoles that have followed it, including its successor (PS3). The matte black/cold blue color combination is tasteful and elegant, and the PlayStation logo on the disc tray could be rotated to accommodate both the vertical and horizontal positions. Standing up, the PS2 reminds me of the Combine tower from just outside City 17 in Half-Life 2. That's a bonus as well. ;)

Sony also did a great job packaging this beauty. The box kept the modern/sleek vibe, using a similarly contrasting color palette of blue and silver. I still have this bad boy in my closet:

ps2box1.jpg

But while I have to give the original design top honors, I can't leave out the most recent incarnation of the slim model.

newps2slimbig.png

Sony really knocked it out of the park with this update. This thing is so slim/sleek, it's just ridiculous, and it has tons of functionality crammed into it. It features a built-in IR sensor for the DVD remote, built-in Ethernet, and the ability to play arguably the two biggest and most diverse gaming libraries known to man. While my PS3 is capable of playing most PS2 games properly (80GB MGS4 bundle), I'm still considering picking up one of these slim models before they disappear completely. I still have my PS2 fat, but the aesthetics (and easier moddability) of the slim model make it very tempting.

-------

I look forward to hearing everyone else's favorites. I can think of a few that were close in the running, but I had to tip my hat to Sony's black/blue marvel.

Woorloog

Banned
PS2? It's a fucking ugly block.
While i do not have PS3, i like its rounded appereance. A lot better than original 360 and better than the S model as well. Let's not even talk about original Xbox..
However, Super Nintendo (PAL) is better than any other. That's the way to design a block.

X26

Banned
Pretty much every console is gaudy, best would be the slim PS2 and the wii because it's better to go minimalism than be an eyesore

Xun

Really? The first PS2 is ugly, however the revision is pretty nice.

I'm still not sure what I would consider the best looking console though.

ScOULaris

Berordn said:
http://www.thetechlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/nintendo_wii_white_bundle.jpg
Regardless of what you think of the hardware, that's one stylin' console.
For added sex appeal, go with the black model:

black+wii.jpg

No pictures right now but the

NEO GEO

At one time, seeing that beast in person meant that money was not an object in the pursuit of the arcade-perfect home experience. We all know money is sexy.

ElFly

PS2, really? that thing looked weird.

Now here is a beautiful console.

model1.jpg

e: the european screws up the 16 bits logo by making it too big. Besides, Megadrive was a silly name when compared to Genesis. It's from the bible, baby. Cannot get more classy than that.

Lima

If we are talking about PS2 we talk about PSX. A real beauty. Still have the one that my dad imported in 2004.

MlyIs.jpg

Vlodril

I am guessing we ll post all the consoles by the time the thread is done but i'll second dreamcast. Great design.

DangerStepp

Genesis Knight said:
Wow, OP would pick the big black brick with all the grooves for dust to hide in.

IMO:

The PS2 really did dusty as heck, didn't it? I forgot about that. And YES!!! The white Japanese Sega Saturn is one of my favorite designs for a home console.

Also, I'm partial to the original Xbox 360/white; it's simple and neat looking.
Also, the original Playstation; I think the design still holds up to this day.

ElFly said:
PS2, really? that thing looked weird.

Now here is a beautiful console.

model1.jpg

e: the european screws up the 16 bits logo by making it too big. Besides, Megadrive was a silly name when compared to Genesis. It's from the bible, baby. Cannot get more classy than that.
High-Definition graphics--that's interesting. I wonder what constituted high-def graphic back then.

Foffy

Banned
I glanced at the title and thought this was about the least sexiest looking. Seeing the OP list the PS2, going into the thread assuming what I though the title to be, made sense. Even the box to the PS2 doesn't exhume style, but just... blandness. Which is odd, considering all of the phenomenal games on the system.

I thought the DS Lite was pretty sexy. Particularly the black model. It has a very sleek design on the outside and a very simple one on the inside, which works well when playing games on it.

BiggNife

I'll give you PS2 Slim, but the original PS2 doesn't really look all that sleek/stylish to me.

As others have already said I think the Wii and the PS3 Slim both look really nice

Also I've always liked the abstract design of the NES top loader even though it doesn't really look all that "sexy"

300px-NES-101-Console-Set.jpg

The Wii is a really nice looking console.

I never owned a Saturn, but that's a nice looking one as well. The Dreamcast was nice as well. Loved that big glowing jewel.

Quick

Banned
The original PS3 design would be my pick. I own the 40GB unit. The gunmetal grey version was also slick as hell.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'd go with the black Wii. It's small, cute and looks really great. Also the PS3 Fat when kept vertical looks stunning. Miss my dead 80gb :(

Soul_Pie

I always liked the redesigned PS1.

I don't know what it is about the gamecube but I love the design, it's probably one of those things that divides people. The day I bought it Dad made the remark that it looked like a girl's lunchbox.

-KRS-

I thought the N64 was pretty sweet. It really looks like a game console.
41mFjC8yumL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But the Gamecube probably takes the cake, only because how compact the design is.

Edit: Yeah the European SNES/Super Famicom is also really good looking. It REALLY looks like a game console.

Jenks

Banned
I must be a freak as ive always like the N64.

Edit - the above posts timing was pretty freaky anyway.

Finaika

Even on its release, I thought the PS2's design looked kinda outdated, like an old VHS machine. It has its charms though.

LQX

XBox 360 slim. To me that thing is gorgeous especially the silver one. Before that the PS3 fat and PS2 fat.

wow some of those consoles are fucking ugly, especially the curved sony ones. the only good looking ones are the slim ps2 and psx. there is something to be said for simple designs and straight lines.

simps.gif

no angel

OuterWorldVoice said:
Panasonic Q.

Ls1sz.jpg
I was going to post this, although I've never seen one in the flesh so I'm only going by the pictures I used to drool over. It looks like it's come from the future!

AEGISX

Banned
dreamcast, altough i dont like that console at all, because there was no game I liked on that console except RE.

Top Bottom