• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is wrong with us who enjoy Starfield?

Ar¢tos

Take away the reviews from metacritic that were done by publications with "xbox" or "Microsoft" in their name, and that really isn't the case, it would be sitting at around 70 without those reviews
With "xbox" in their name there are 7 giving 90 or more.

Last edited:

Bond007

Just enjoy what you like.
While i wasnt a fan of starfield i have loved many games that people complain about.

The Order 1886 mentioned above is one of em.

NeonDelta

Many of us did the same thing. I don’t remember where that talk came from but from my perspective having kept playing it for 250 hours total it’s a total troll. It’s like telling someone to play No Man’s Sky and focus on rushing through the Atlas quest, turns it into some kind of collectathon roguelike.

In my current playthrough (170 hours) I’ve only done 1 main quest and then went out to do my own thing. I have a bunch of outposts with cargo links going between them, animal farms, robot defenses, greenhouses, penthouse flat, space sheriff badge, mind control device in my head, my own non-Constellation crew. Miss important Sarah still thinks I’m a noob and wonder if I’m ready to take her out on my first mission. Nah, I’m good.
I didn’t even go into my house which I apparently had, completely missed that until I saw someone mention it in a thread

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It's a good game but nothing special. They promoted it as their dream game, 25 years in the making, yet it doesn't even rank among their top 5 best games. That's the biggest issue with it. It becomes boring after 40 hours, which is alarming for a Bethesda RPG. It has the potential to be so much better, but they probably ran out of time and money. Perhaps some DLCs will enhance the game. I've enjoyed it as well, but as I mentioned, it's not that special.

I am not in yet; but I really want to lol.... ESO and Fallout 76 are both 9/10 games for me so I don't listen to the internet's drivel about Bethesda's Falloff on GAF or elsewhere...

I only have not played because I can't math 400-500 for a series X while I could get PC mods and 60 fps for a "similar" price I think...

I'm not willing to get a PC for now; but the Xbox purchase sure as hell makes no sense... Last gen Forza did nothing for me unfortunately.

Fredrik

I didn’t even go into my house which I apparently had, completely missed that until I saw someone mention it in a thread
Yeah you have to go and claim it, there are many things in this game that can be missed like that since there is so much to do. The Mantis questline is probably the biggest one, can’t believe they hid that in a looted note, should be a faction. Makes me wonder if there are any bigger things that nobody haven’t found yet.

I think the criticism of Starfield is exaggerated due to its exclusivity and the console wars.
It’s definitely a flawed game, played it too safe, had a lot of elements that seemed interesting but ultimately lacking in depth.

It's a good game, held back by some dated tech underneath, and crushed by the weight of astronomically high expectations.
Bethesda has delivered some of the best western RPGs ever made. The expectations and hype were warranted based on their past work, Starfield is a disappointing game when you look at their track record, let’s stop pretending that the “criticism” is because Xbox brought them.

They delivered a mediocre game and that’s ok hopefully the next one is better. But I think Starfield gets a lot of hate because Xbox fans keep trying to spin this fake narrative like they always do to make excuses for mediocrity.

When you look at the professional and user reviews it’s all tracking low scores across the board compared to their other RPGs so let’s stop the pretending, give constructive criticism and move on. Instead of trying to rationalize why people should like this very mediocre game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Take away the reviews from metacritic that were done by publications with "xbox" or "Microsoft" in their name, and that really isn't the case, it would be sitting at around 70 without those reviews
And keep the scores below 7 right?
Seriously, there are 21 mixed reviews for Xbox and PC combined and 1 negative and 153 positive on Metacritic, 183 total on Opencritic. The vast majority rated it 8 or 9. You won’t end up around 70 even with the most paranoid filter method.

JCK75

Nothing... some people are absolutely fascinated by the idea of just exploring space..
Some of us are just too ADHD to enjoy it.
different strokes..
enjoy your game.

DavidGzz

Nothing wrong. The hate is just at insane levels cause people love to see the big guys lose. Plus it isn't on PS. Simple.

ahtlas7

Over 50% found the game fun enough to leave a 👍 on Steam. Seems you are in the majority. You are 1 of the 6 out of 10 who enjoyed it. No need to be an apologist.

Josemayuste

I enjoyed Starfield too , OP, you're not alone. I just think that the Bethesda purchase and shifting the game into an Xbox exclusive were the main causes of all the criticism, in addition to some game flaws, old engine, and not a groundbeaking game design as expected, wich ultimately reflected on the reviews.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Nothing wrong. The hate is just at insane levels cause people love to see the big guys lose. Plus it isn't on PS. Simple.

It Is simple indeed :
- Xbox tax ®
- Xbox hate wagon
Right ?

...that, or it's the usual persecution complex of the "big guy's" fandom (your words, not mine).

Repeating something doesn't necessarily make it so/true.

People can like whatever they like, no need for apologist behaviour though, it's getting tiring at this point - more so than the criticism from the imaginary "blue" side.

JackMcGunns

It Is simple indeed :
- Xbox tax ®
- Xbox hate wagon
Right ?

...that, or it's the usual persecution complex of the "big guy's" fandom (your words, not mine).

Repeating something doesn't necessarily make it so/true.

People can like whatever they like, no need for apologist behaviour though, it's getting tiring at this point - more so than the criticism from the imaginary "blue" side.

Most overused expression on Gaf:

Persecution complex

Last edited:

DJ12

Nothings wrong with you, everyone's different.

Some people like clamps attached to their testicles, a battery and for someone to flick a switch.

It's not for me, but each to their own.

What I REALLY don't understand is why the loading screens aren't just videos of the ship flying?

Why is there even an animation for take off when it just cuts to a black loading screen for like a couple seconds and then I'm in the cockpit? Why doesn't that little scene play the whole time and THEN cut to the cockpit.

Also when looking at a planet map, please explain to me how it can be nighttime where I land when I picked the lit side of the planet? Does that make any fucking sense?

Just tiny shit like that makes no sense and pisses me off.

JackMcGunns

Sure, then again, same thing applies to the whole "woe is me" thing in the form of the - now classics© - like : the Xbox tax ®, Sony too®, what about X company®, Next year® etc etc

Cheers

But you're invalidating someones experience without even knowing that persion or experiencing what they're going through, you're basically gaslighting the OP telling him it's all in his head.

As a heavey Starfield player and being part of many different groups Starfield related, I can tell you from my own personal experience that it looks like this when someone brings up the name:

GlhPF7p.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
But you're invalidating someones experience without even knowing that persion or experiencing what they're going through, you're basically gaslighting the OP telling him it's all in his head.

As a heavey Starfield player and being part of many different groups Starfield related, I can tell you from my own personal experience that it looks like this when someone brings up the name:

GlhPF7p.jpg

That's not isolated to Xbox or Starfield. TLOU 2 gets similar reaction. As does Star Citizen. Plenty of Xbox gamers go after Sony games for being "movies".

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

GlhPF7p.jpg

Jack, my comment had to do with that kind mentality and that's it...

Regarding Starfield now : i really, really don't care brother, stopped enjoying Bethesda games since Skyrim for my own reasons so i really don't have a horse in this race, believe me ;)

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong enjoying...whatever game a person enjoys, i mean, it's so silly that we have to even mention that but, here we are man.

The truth ? This topic was just created to stir shit up/gain reactionary replies IMO.

Cheers

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

That's not isolated to Xbox or Starfield. TLOU 2 gets similar reaction. As does Star Citizen. Plenty of Xbox gamers go after Sony games for being "movies".

One incident does not invalidate another 🤷‍♂️

You're basically applying Sony too® logic right here.

JackMcGunns

Jack, my comment had to do with that kind mentality and that's it...

Regarding Starfield now : i really, really don't care brother, stopped enjoying Bethesda games since Skyrim for my own reasons so i really don't have a horse in this race, believe me ;)

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong enjoying...whatever game a person enjoys, i mean, it's so silly that we have to even mention that but, here we are man.

The truth ? This topic was just created to stir shit up/gain reactionary replies IMO.

Cheers

Was it after being charged for horse armor? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not sold on the OP just doing it to stir things up, maybe it's just how he feels, I get that feeling sometimes, but I get where you're coming from.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If you like the game you like the game, but Bethesda was very careful in the way they hyped and marketed the game to say it was something it was not. People expected something like Skyrim in NMS universe but got Skyrim broken up over thousands of loading screens.

People were calling this out basically immediately after it was widely available so I don't think it was the players that were wrong.

- The xyz procedurally generated empty planets with the same copy and paste crap over and over again is not only bad gamedesign it`s padding to the point of absolutely disrespecting the gamer`s time.
- The inconsequential world is laughable. "So I saved your life just a few hours ago, how about you help me out with a little thing then?" NPC: "I`ve never seen this man in my life"
- Tiny-----tiny levels with everything hidden behind loading screens.
- Lifeless static NPCs all around.

Skyrim did those things better more than a decade ago...for 2023 this is just a joke.
Those planets purpose is part of a resource management mechanic to harvest materials for upgrades for various equipment and facilities you build.

Js562

It's a fun game. Play and like what suits you shit has always been that way. I've played bad games and I put hours into them lol

keraj37

Starfield is best enjoyed in the rainforest.
100% right ;)
It's a fun game. Play and like what suits you shit has always been that way. I've played bad games and I put hours into them lol

Yeah, and I forgot to write in OP that I actually find it really great looking game also on my console (I heard it does look much better on PC max settings). It really looks stunning sometimes, especially in closed doors on my LG OLED screen.
Since I wrote the OP I already added around 30h to my playtime, and really didn't change my mind yet.

JackMcGunns

I'm not suggesting anything is "invalidated". Your comic seems to suggest Starfield is being singled out. My point is simply that it isn't and I provided examples.

The comic suggests exactly what it suggests, that mentioning Starfield even in its own fan circles, creates that reaction, in no way shape or form does it imply that it doesn't happen to other select few games, capice?

JackMcGunns

100% right ;)

Yeah, and I forgot to write in OP that I actually find it really great looking game also on my console (I heard it does look much better on PC max settings). It really looks stunning sometimes, especially in closed doors on my LG OLED screen.
Since I wrote the OP I already added around 30h to my playtime, and really didn't change my mind yet.

That's the weird thing about Starfield, there are instances where I'm stunned at how beautiful the game looks, the detail in some of the characters, monsters or scenary, but then there are parts of the game that look atrocious, I just can't put my finger on it, but it's that level of inconsistancy that makes it a mix bag in the graphics department, it can be a 10 at times, then drop to a 5 lol.

keraj37

That's the weird thing about Starfield, there are instances where I'm stunned at how beautiful the game looks, the detail in some of the characters, monsters or scenary, but then there are parts of the game that look atrocious, I just can't put my finger on it, but it's that level of inconsistancy that makes it a mix bag in the graphics department, it can be a 10 at times, then drop to a 5 lol.
True, I forgot to write that indeed it looks sometimes very weak, like not even previous gen weak but PS360 era.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
True, I forgot to write that indeed it looks sometimes very weak, like not even previous gen weak but PS360 era.
Makes me optimistic for Elder Scrolls. This seems like a game in development throughout PS4 gen, and into this gen. If they don't advance at all graphically, and just get Elder Scrolls more consistently up to the best of Starfield, it'll look fantastic.

Jayjayhd34

Wouldn't let it bother you i enjoy many games that review poorly by critics and gamers.

Think of games like art no one into art is going enjoy every art price and someone out there pay millions for somthing that most would laugh at

Having.opion that does fit the majority is lot better than letting certain trends to effect you thinking.

I deffo going back in it with more open mind when I finish my backlog

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Bethesda has delivered some of the best western RPGs ever made. The expectations and hype were warranted based on their past work, Starfield is a disappointing game when you look at their track record, let’s stop pretending that the “criticism” is because Xbox brought them.

They delivered a mediocre game and that’s ok hopefully the next one is better. But I think Starfield gets a lot of hate because Xbox fans keep trying to spin this fake narrative like they always do to make excuses for mediocrity.

When you look at the professional and user reviews it’s all tracking low scores across the board compared to their other RPGs so let’s stop the pretending, give constructive criticism and move on. Instead of trying to rationalize why people should like this very mediocre game.
Mediocrity?? Lol

You got dudes/ladies spending 100s of hours in this game. It's already winning awards, nominated for more (Dice) sold 4+ million on PC alone, racked up more Gamepass subs in a single day than any other in the history of the service and people are still talking about it and this is almost five months in.

At the end of the day your opinion is your own but, it doesn't apply universally. Not even almost.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
With "xbox" in their name there are 7 giving 90 or more.
And there are 33 with 90+ scores that do not have Xbox or Windows or Achievements in their name 10 of those were scores of 100. What's your point?

GlhPF7p.jpg
Imagine thinking you're some special snowflake when this happens to Final Fantasy XVI every time it's mentioned

Top Bottom