• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your current game of the generation so far?

sublimit

Banned
I really can't decide between Bloodborne and The Witcher 3. They are also very very different which makes it even more harder. Both games fill very different gaming needs perfectly for me.
Dragon Quest XI and The Last Guardian are also among my top 5.

Last edited:

Doom85

And soundtrack subpar.

7G1cFaV.jpg

It was a hard battle between Bloodborne and DMC V.

It's still Bloodborne for me. I've never felt so vindicated getting a console for "that one game".
It's certainly not perfect, but no game is.

Bloodborne should go down as one of the generation's defining games, it's just that good.

EDIT: Do you know how to tell it's a good "best" thread?
When you read through it and you can't really disagree with most people. You just have your own preferences.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
That is a really hard question and one that I just can't answer. I don't think there was any game that grabbed me this generation.

Fuz

Banned
It was Witcher 3 for me all those years. Then came Death Stranding and I’m so deeply into it and no, doesn’t have to do with the “honeymoon phase” it sucked me in and got me hooked like no other game this gen. I love you Witcher 3 and you’re just 2nd place now♥
Burn the heretic!

Tesseract

Banned
of the generation?

probably titanfall, i see no other developer pushing the frontier like respawn

making the first an xboner exclusive was a mistake i think, the second rolled around and the multiplayer base quickly flatlined to 1000 players or so

also should've been on steam

Griffon

Zelda Breath of the Wild.
Bloodborne is a very tightly close second.

I wish there was a great solo FPS this gen, I'm really missing one in my life, Doom 2016 came very close, but not quite (spatial sound is busted in this game, Nightmare mode is more frustrating than it should be because of it). I have high hopes for Doom Eternal.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I cannot decide between a number of them.

Uncharted 4
Spider-Man
Witcher 3
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest XI
Persona 5
Horizon: Zero Dawn

Arachnid

Bloodborne. This was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in my life. It honestly is a once in a generation kind of game.

My second and third places are Witcher 3 and BotW, though not in any order.

manfestival

Oooffff unfortunately many games will slip my mind.

I think the top games for me this generation have been
Witcher 3
Uncharted 4
Dragon Quest 11
Monster Hunter World(probably one of the few that just gives so much for free as extra content)
God of War

Also Dark Souls 3 > Bloodborne

MMaRsu

Banned
Very hard to say

Bloodborne was so good

Breath of the Wild had amazing exploration

Red Dead Redemption 2 was an insane experience

Apex Legends best newcomer

REDRZA MWS

I can easily say without hesitation that Spiderman was a wonderful, fun experience from start to finish. I loved the Arkham games, but Spiderman and Insomniac games just took it to another level.

As far as multiplayer experience goes, R6: Siege really, really surprises me. Not a superb launch, but Ubisoft clearly put love into the game with all the updates. It’s amazing.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
While my top games this gen are still Quantum Break, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gears 5 and AssCreed Odyssey I realized I forgot about some of my other favorites from this gen;
Prey
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
Helblade Senua's Sacrifice
Damn there has been a lot of great games I really liked this gen, it's way too hard to just pick one. I hope we hae even more next gen.

ZywyPL

Banned
Quantum Brake is the only game I've actually finished this gen, even replayed it five times, so yeah. I feel like the game was made solely for me, it's my second best TPP of all times right after 1st Max Payne. I desperately hope we will see a sequel some time in the future that continues the cliffhanger.

Honorable mention: Titanfall. What a game, for real. Tt may lacked SP campaign, but the MP was hands down one of the best in the biz, they fucking nailed the mech mechanics. And to co-op was the best horde mode I've ever played, I actually played it so long that TF2 got released and died in the meantime.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Quantum Brake is the only game I've actually finished this gen, even replayed it five times, so yeah. I feel like the game was made solely for me, it's my second best TPP of all times right after 1st Max Payne. I desperately hope we will see a sequel some time in the future that continues the cliffhanger.

Honorable mention: Titanfall. What a game, for real. Tt may lacked SP campaign, but the MP was hands down one of the best in the biz, they fucking nailed the mech mechanics. And to co-op was the best horde mode I've ever played, I actually played it so long that TF2 got released and died in the meantime.

I hate to disillusion you but I'm afraid Quantum Break was made just for me :messenger_beaming:

Terenty

If Death Stranding continues to be as amazing as it has been, it will be it easily. Well maybe sharing with Disco Elysium and Rain World

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Ask me in 5 years when I've had enough time to reflect and enough distance to allow any immediacy bias to have worn off.

Last edited:

Pejo

It's probably Destiny (1), Monster Hunter: World, or Rocket League. They had my most hours played, and no doubt have been boosted since I played them all with friends online.

Single player - Nioh.

SpiceRacz

It's probably Destiny (1), Monster Hunter: World, or Rocket League. They had my most hours played, and no doubt have been boosted since I played them all with friends online.

Single player - Nioh.

Completely forget about Destiny. That's up there as one of the best experiences this generation.

Arachnid

Resident Evil 2: Remake.
Hell ya

That and Alien Isolation are the horror games of this gen. I actually may want to switch out BotW and Witcher 3 with those since I'm a pretty big horror junky, but that's a hard choice for me to make since those both gave me experiences I don't think I've ever had, and both never got old after 100+ hours.

Last edited:

June

Virginia?
The Banner Saga 1?
Alien Isolation?
FIFA 16?
Watch Dogs 1?
Valiant Hearts?

I don't even know. There aren't many games I've fallen truly head over heels with this gen. I kinda just want to say The Walking Dead Season 1 & The Last of Us but they don't even count considering they are just remasters/ports.

This gen has had so many overrated games. The open world trend has decimated the quality of both new IPs and old franchises (looking at you, Witcher and Metal Gear).

Last edited:
For me, it's a split between the Evil Within 1 and Control. There are actually a bunch of objectively better games released this gen, but nothing matches how much personal enjoyment I had playing those two games.

Shiken

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is my game of the generation, with Witcher 3 and Bloodborne getting an honorable mention.

Last edited:

Vol5

This is tough. Time for a list then, in no particular order...

The Witness
Hunt: Showdown
Apex Legends
XCOM2 (PC though, PS4 version ran like utter dog shit. Firaxis and whoever did the convert should be ashamed)
God of War
Witcher 3
Bloodborne

I'm still to finish Death Stranding or even try Return of the Obra Dinn, so they could be on the list for sure by the end of the year.

Top Bottom