• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite Super Mario Power-up?

I always liked the frog suit, even if it wasn't the most useful.

SMB3___Frog_Mario_by_bizklimkit_3627845.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
wLs5wzD.png

The cape is the most awesome power-up in any game ever, and that is a fact. Definitely needs to be brought back for the next Mario-game. Also, Yoshi is a close second, making the two that got introduced in Super Mario World the two best ever. Here we have them both:
200px-SMW_Mario2.png

The 3 best power ups are the Hammer Bros. Suit, Cloud Suit, and Cat Suit

Is FLUDD considered a power up? If so, that would crack my top 5. I'd like to see FLUDD as a power up in a 2D Mario game.

The feather or leaf are obvious ones if we're talking about one dominating an entire title, but the galaxy games did such an amazing job of actually designing levels around a power-up that if I had to pick one I've most enjoyed in the past, it'd definitely be the cloud.

3D Land and 3D World did a really good job with their power-ups as well. Sort of like the 2D games but much better balanced than any of them.

edit: also, I'm surprised NSMBWii isn't getting better representation in here. It was the only NEW title to do power-ups well. Propeller, penguin, and ice flower are all fun (even if the last two are a little repetitive). It also made good use of the fire flower in some levels, and it used the mini mushroom at least as well as DS ever did. I think it's actually a better balance than any other 2D game struck, besides maybe SMW. The DS had atrocitites like the Shell power-up, 2 was generic as all hell, and the squirrel suit in U was just...boring. Mega Mushroom was pretty fun at times though. Wouldn't hate seeing that again.

Kadin

I love how just about every example I gave, except Tanooki, pretty much got zero love. To be honest though, I just picked some random ones off a wiki as I couldn't possibly remember them all.

So yeah, my selections were pretty terrible.

The cat suit.

Seriously it's probably the most practical and fun suit in the series for me.

Maybe it's because I have been playing this more recently than others, but I really do love the cat suit. Definitely one of my favs. Tanooki suit probably up there as well.

Penguin Suit is one of the those that I'm always excited to pick up, it's a nice combo of various abilities that come together well.
Firstly the increased swimming capabilities that are a more refined version of the SMB3 Frog Suit, second the underrated abilities of the Ice flower, third is the slide which is unfortunately limited on land but much more enjoyable to toy with on ice or water, lastly you waddle with a quirky sound effect complete with ignoring the effects of Icy floors.

Cape is of course the godamn cape, I can perform diving headbutts from the sky that shatter the earth itself and all those in the immediate vicinity, nothing feels more grand.
Wing Suit is fun to string longer enemy bounces due to how it resets the ascend ability per bounce, fluid control and a fine mix of a toned down cape and propeller suit.

For 3D games it has to be the Cloud Suit, visually it's one of my favourite variations on the more standard Mario attire, while there's not that much to the ability at its core the level design that surround it is some of the most power up complementing design in the entire series and who doesn't get a kick out of backfliping upwards to create a triple cloud tower and long jumping off of the peak.

Nintendo's track record on new power-ups for our favorite plumber isn't that great; sometimes they're TOO good like the Cape in SMW, sometimes they just kinda stink like Bee Mario's lack of offensive abilities or Tiny Mario being effectively a power-down.

Cat Suit Mario is not only stupidly adorable, he makes you feel powerful without breaking the entire level. He can climb up vertical walls, but only for a certain amount of time, and he's got a great dive attack, but you can only do it once without touching the ground. Like the best power-ups, it opens up new areas and gives you an advantage against certain enemies, but it doesn't completely trivialize the game, and it stinks when you lose it.

Riposte

Nintendo's track record on new power-ups for our favorite plumber isn't that great; sometimes they're TOO good like the Cape in SMW, sometimes they just kinda stink like Bee Mario's lack of offensive abilities or Tiny Mario being effectively a power-down.

Cat Suit Mario is not only stupidly adorable, he makes you feel powerful without breaking the entire level. He can climb up vertical walls, but only for a certain amount of time, and he's got a great dive attack, but you can only do it once without touching the ground. Like the best power-ups, it opens up new areas and gives you an advantage against certain enemies, but it doesn't completely trivialize the game, and it stinks when you lose it.

Good points on Cat Suit, much better than something like cape/feather, but I have to give to Double Cherry. In addition to its appeal being immediately obvious/natural (yet completely original for the series) and how its used to enhance platforming challenges (for solo players, anyway, though it has its multiplayer gimmick), it is the only power-up that makes other power-ups cooler.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Cape Feather is ridiculous in how powerful it is, so that's up there. I like the Metal Cap the most though; simple yet effective. My favorite modern powerup would probably be the Rock Mushroom or Mini Mushroom. I wanna see some Mini Mario in 3D Mario.

Feather/Cape because while it was powerful, one had to be particularly skilled to use it.

In 3D Mario? Probably standard 3D Mario in Mario 64. There has never been a Mario since that has been so boundlessly controllable. If you wanted to do it in Mario 64, you could do it. To me, that's the essence of a Mario game, and 64 brought it into 3D. Give me another Mario game like that, Nintendo.

Albo

Cat suit made traversal+combat even more fun than it already was, though It also made them them easier which made me feel a little guilt for using it. I found gauging depth and using stomp for combat quite difficult, so I guess it was useful, and it was required for quite a few collectibles.

I'm surprised mega mushroom has only been mentioned once. I love wrecking as much of a level I possibly can with that powerup. It's not that common which makes it feel more special.

Ok, forgot about ice mario. Now that was fun as hell too.

jrfmrYol.png

Ice has always been a cool (*rimshot*) power in my book, and Galaxy Ice Mario's ice skating and ice chucking show's it off in full force. I always loved whenever I saw an Ice Flower pop up in the Galaxy games.

Cloud Mario is a really simple, smart design, too. In a game all about jumping on platforms, you're actually get to manipulate the when and where the platforms show up, and can get pretty creative over their placement with smart utilization of your innate abilities.

Top Bottom