• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite Super Mario Power-up?

SegaShack

Space Suit Mario for life!

super-mario-golden-coins-space-zone-star-maze.jpg

Azure J

Seconding the Hammer Suit. Hyper offense > all. Although I have great love for the Maneko Suit in 3D World for giving me both stupid offenses and great ways to travel the level.

The Ice Flower in Super Mario Galaxy. I also like the Double Cherry and the Super Bell, I'd love to see how those could be used in a more adventure focused game.

Renekton

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/8/81/SMB3_HammerMario.jpg

If you were able to hang on to it? Beating Bowser with Hammers makes you feel like SUCH a Badass.
Those hammers do a fkton of damage, Bowser should just fire all his goons and clone hammer brothers.

If you had asked me a year and a half ago, I might have answered Wing Cap or its Super Mario Galaxy equivalent (obtained via the red star), but ever since I played with the Double Cherry, it immediately topped my list of favorite power up. There's just so much potential for organized chaos with that thing!

Kadin

Okay so now that a good many of you have given your opinion on which is the best, let's take this a step further.

What combo of two Power-ups do you think would work best together? Take two and combine them into one...

Kinsei

Banned
Okay so now that a good many of you have given your opinion on which is the best, let's take this a step further.

What combo of two Power-ups do you think would work best together? Take two and combine them into one...

Boomerang flower + fire flower

Fire boomerangs.

Metal Mario + 3D Ice Mario. Bounce off lava and freeze any water you touch.

Alternatively, just going full Metal + Flying Mario from Galaxy. Metal's invulnerability + the maneuverability of flying would be pretty awesome.

For 2D stuff though, would probably have to go Hammer Bros. suit + Cape. Rain death from above!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The Cape. I don't care if it's overpowered. It's really fun to use.

Wing Cap from 64 is my favorite.

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120625213109/fantendo/images/a/a2/Wing_Mario.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Ah man, I was so disappointed by the wing cap. The cumbersome gliding mechanic felt so limiting.

210px-TanookiMario_SMB3.jpg

I used to play Mario with my neighbour back in the day. The tanooki suit was awesome just for being able to fly. I didn't care if it made no sense why he grew a tail and could suddenly fly, as a Sega owner it blew my mind. Sonic couldn't do that.

This, Kuribo's Shoe and the cape from Super Mario World.

The cape is broken. Worst power-up.

Best is Cloud Mario from Galaxy 2. It's well-balanced for the given challenges and objectives, yet you can still make crazy new platforming paths if you get creative.

SegaShack

Space Suit Mario + Fire Flower = Space Flame Thrower Suit Mario. He could shoot a thick solid line of flames out like a flamethrower, no bouncing balls.

Ah man, I was so disappointed by the wing cap. The cumbersome gliding mechanic felt so limiting.
Yeah, same here. You need the cannons to get any amount of speed, and even then you start to slow down. Plus, the fact that all you really do with it is glide and just slowly fall back down to the ground, just makes it feel so limiting and disappointing. Tanooki, Cape, and Flying Mario are all definitely better, IMO.

I must say the new cat power up in Super Mario 3D World is an OUTSTANDING addition.
Yeah, overall, I definitely have to say that it's definitely a great addition. However, I do have to say that I absolutely HATE the pounce-attack though. You accidentally trigger that in the wrong part of a level, and you'll go flying off into the middle of nowhere. That killed be more times that I care to admit in 3D World. >.<

Blues1990

Super Mario Galaxy - Boo Mushroom: Having Mario & Luigi to become a Boo was a delight, even though it was the rarest power-up in the game. From flying and turning intangible to pass through objects, it was an incredible feeling at the time.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Rock Mushroom/Cloud Flower: It was a lot of fun to roll around as an unstoppable boulder, crushing crystals and enemies alike. For the Cloud Flower, gaining the ability to create temporary platforms, along with improving Mario's fall speed & increasing his long jumps, had made this the most practical power-up in a long while.

Overall, I love being Rock Mario the most, as you can't beat rolling around as an indestructible boulder that can crush most enemies.

DarkKyo

Classic Mario : Cape

Skilled flying

New Mario : Shell

CEvlmFf.png

Awesome to try to "bit trip run" a level with the shell

3D mario : Cloud

The things an advanced player could do with this beauty
I love shell!! I remember my brother and I used to play the multiplayer for that game all the time and I'd always try to get the shell power in it because it was a lot of fun to use.

Stencil

Definitely Kuribo's boot.

Mmm but that's tough; Kuribo's boot for the novelty factor, or the feather for the God-tier cape power-up factor?

Huggers

I love the feather. The flying mechanism with it is brilliant and Mario in a cape looks hilarious. Special mention to the boot and frog suit from Mario 3 as well

Converse

Banned
Wing Cap for the endless days of shooting out of the canon in Super Mario 64; Boomerang Flower for its awesome offensive capabilities, radical helmet and usage in the top-down levels of 3D World; and Double Cherry for the fun and wildness of it, especially when used with other power-ups.

The Tanooki Suit is an icon, though, so you have to give that credit.

The cape from SMW will always be my favorite. It's so gloriously over-powered.

Fire Flower is also one of my favorites too, although I don't actually ever call it that. I just refer to it as "speaker" instead because I always thought the old fire flower sprites kinda looked a bit like speakers and the name just stuck.

Rock Mario + Double Cherry would be the coolest combination.

Also, it's been 18 years and I still don't know how the Wing Cap in SM64 works, once you lose your altitude there's no way to get it back so any level that involves collecting red coins in the sky is damn near impossible.

Top Bottom