• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your top 5 RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daingurse

1. Skies of Arcadia
skiesarcadia_conceptart_bao8Z.jpg
This has been my favorite RPG of all time for nearly 17 years!

2. Mass Effect 2
MassEffect2_cover.PNG

3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Kotorbox.jpg

4. The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings
Witcher_2_cover.jpg

5. Final Fantasy X
250px-Ffxboxart.jpg

Yo, that was really fucking hard. If Phantasy Star Online counts then I'm fucked lol. I'll consider it Hack n' Slash for now! The only thing easy about this list was putting SoA at #1 lol.

Sotha_Sil

Honorable Mentions: Dark Souls, The Witcher 3, and Mask of the Betrayer

5 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
4 - Deus Ex
3 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
2 - Fallout: New Vegas
1 - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Unfortunately, I've fallen out of favor with isometric games. Baldur's Gate II, Pillars of Eternity, and Planescape Torment are still wonderful games, but I have to force myself to get past the isometric elements to enjoy what really makes those games great.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Oh this is a toughie.

I don't know if I can make a particular order, but....

1. FFIX - similar to others in the thread, it was my first FF, and I was blown away - I came to enjoy 7 afterwards (hated 8), but 9 will always have a special place in my heart, warts (including the shitty strategy guide and slow as shit battle speeds) and all.

2. Persona 4/Golden - I honestly think, upon reflection, that P4's story and mechanics works better with the close group of friends and bonds, rather than P5's co-thieves - P5's got a strong evolution on the mechanics end, but I think P4 ekes it out for me, even with the random dungeons.

3. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - it does such, such a good job of making the open world not feel like a chore the way ubisoft games do, simply by giving the quests relationship to the world, and having Geralt always react, yet giving you as the player some amount of choice in it all. Some of that is due to payoff from the first two games, but it still stands really strong on its own.

4. Kotor/Kotor II: I think these need to go together simply for how they play off of each other - two different studios' takes on the force, the Star Wars mythos, and how the two compliment each other. I get that some people scoff at the 'deconstruction' of the force as being hipster or w/e, but it works, damnit.

5. Fallout New Vegas - Its quests blow FO3 out of the water, and if you're in Fallout for roleplaying, rather than just the amusement park 'spectacle' of each location, you're in for a damn treat.

Honorable Mentions:
- Mass Effect (all of 'em, even 3, though you need Leviathan and Citadel)
- Chrono Trigger (I suspect this not being higher is due to me missing it as a kid)
- FFVI (similar situation to Chrono)
- Paper Mario: TTYD - such a great leap up from the still-good original. I wish Ninty hadn't tainted it with the sequels.
- Pokemon series - too many to pick just one.
- Dark Souls - despite everything, I still think of it more as an 'action RPG', than an RPG with action.
- Golden Sun and TLA - supreme RPGs on the GBA - why'd the sequel have to ruin it :(
- FF Tactics: This one came close to #5, but Wiegraf lightning stab'd it down :(
- KH 1/2: Not everyone's cup of tea, but I liked 'em, even if they were pretty easy.
- Disgaea series: If you ever wanna lose 100+ hours on an RPG and don't mind the grind, this series is for you (but that grind can be rooouuuuugh at times)
- Tales of Vesperia: This Tales meshes the best of the battle system and an overall likeable set of characters for me. Symphonia was a fun intro on the cube, and Berseria is pretty good, but Vesperia still wins out.
- Alpha Protocol: If you can get past the shit aiming mechanics (or just focus on stealth melee/pistols instead) you're up for an actually iterative method of utilizing the dialogue wheel to shape your character.
- Megaman Battle Network: Stop at 3, but 1-3 make for some great grid-based action with an overarching story and characters.
- WoW: Like as not, this game was a huge part of my time in Wotlk and Cata - it's getting older in the tooth now, but it still deserves its props.

Hmmm...

Baldur's Gate 2
Deus Ex
Persona 4 (or SMT Nocturne, depending on the day)
Planescape Torment
KOTOR 2: The Sith Lords

That was tough. Pokemon GS - New Vegas - Suikoden 2 - Arcanum - Vampire the Masquerade - FF5/7 - Mass Effect.. They're all right up there.

1. Earthbound
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Demon's Souls
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Persona 4 Golden

3-5 shift from time to time, but Earthbound and Chrono Trigger never move.

If Diablo counts, Diablo II is my honorable mention.

Thud

1. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
2. Pokémon Red/Blue
3. Earthbound
4. Xanadu Next
5. Paper Mario

I'm going with this today.

Witcher 3 is the greatest game in existence, let alone greatest RPG.

Outside of that are, in no particular order, Final Fantasy Tactics, Baldur's Gate 2, Xenogears ( yes, even if disc 2 is a POS), and yes, of course, Final Fantasy 7.

Final Fantasy 7 might get a boost as it ages. Consider that we live in the post 9/11 age and that Avalanche might not have been possible afterward. A vigilante organization that uses terrorist tactics to take down a mega-corporation? That game might be ahead of his time and we just don't know it yet.

kswiston

Just a quick question to the moderators that might be reading.

Is having this thread going to pose a problem to me starting a 2017 version of the NeoGAF essential RPG thread in the very near future?

I don't want to lead to an overload of "rpg list threads" (even though the thread isnt really a list thread in the same way this is), but I have been planning it for end of August for four months. Inconvenient timing!

In no particular order (and restricting myself to 1 entry per series);

World of Warcraft
Baldurs Gate
Final Fantasy X
Skyrim
Pokemon HG/SS

I was going to post a list just to screw with people;

Mass Effect 3
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Final Fantasy XIII
Quest 64
Zelda 2

Fou-Lu

Just a quick question to the moderators that might be reading.

Is having this thread going to pose a problem to me starting a 2017 version of the NeoGAF essential RPG thread in the very near future?

I don't want to lead to an overload of "rpg list threads" (even though the thread isnt really a list thread in the same way this is), but I have been planning it for end of August for four months. Inconvenient timing!

Nah man, don't worry about this thread. The essentials thread is one of the best threads on GAF since it forces people to give reasons and compiles everything in the end. In all likelihood this thread will get locked due to the lack of reasons and discussion.

This is not in order of favorite of the 5 because I can't make up my mind:

1) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
2) Final Fantasy 7
3) Final Fantasy Tactics
4) Arc the Lad II
5) Chrono Trigger

Ah. Fuck. I just saw someone else mention Valkryie Profile 1 and 2. Ugh...this is too hard. I think VP2 without a doubt is in top 10.

Godcannon

1. FFVII
2. Xenoblade Chronicles X
3. Deus Ex:HR
4. World of Warcraft
5. The dungeon from Ehrgeiz PS1

Yep, perfect amount of random

mrmickfran

I made a thread like this a few years ago but my opinion has changed a bit.

5. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Final Fantasy X
3. Persona 4 Golden
2. Persona 5
1. Xenoblade Chronicles

Compare to my list in my old thread

5. Mega Man Battle Network 3
4. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
3. Persona 4 Golden
2. Final Fantasy X
1. Xenoblade Chronicles

Xenoblade still remains the GOAT but Persona 5 comes close. I still love FFX, but my recent replay made me realize how terrible those cutscenes were.

1) The Witcher III: Wild Hunt - slightly above average gameplay for an action-RPG, but extremely deft writing throughout the entire game -- even in subquests -- made this an RPG I felt an extremely strong attachment to, and one where I felt like my choices weren't always needing to be noble good guy, which up until I played this game, felt like something that was really hard for games to convince me to do. I didn't play a scumbug Geralt, but there were a few times where I felt motivated enough to not necessarily play the lawful good type I normally pursue in games where the player is given a choice in how to react. It felt personal and much more natural than most RPGs to me.

2) Persona 5 - pure style, just the right amount of depth to the gameplay to feel both brisk and deep, and a great cast of young characters that felt like they responded appropriately to heavy issues that they'd either fall upon or stumble into. It feels vibrant and hopeful despite how dark it can sometimes get, and I really love that contrast, and the Social Link system felt like it does an incredibly effective job of making me know and feel for its characters.

3) Persona 4 - I like this for almost exactly the same reasons as Persona 4 above, but I think I prefer Persona 5's metropolitan setting to Persona 4's rural one, and I felt that the Phantom Thief motif was stronger than the lite-P.I. vibe P4 went for.

4) World of Warcraft - my favorite eras of this game were Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, but I did start in vanilla and have enjoyed the game in almost all of its eras that I've played (I didn't play during Mists of Pandaria and Warlords of Draenor). WoW has, over the years, allowed me to interact with a lot of interesting people, and the sense of community that's come about as a result is probably the absolutely most memorable part of the game. There's potential for that to happen in any MMO really, but WoW did stand out to me due to the way it revolutionized my expectations for MMO gameplay standards coming out of Final Fantasy XI (which was my first ever MMO), and managed to have some of the most memorable MMO experiences I've ever had as a result.

5) Final Fantasy XII - I love the settings and the combat gameplay. I think the characters are generally fine, but not my favorite FF cast in the series. Still, the former elements that I praised stand out quite a bit, enough to counterbalance the weaker elements of the game. The recent Zodiac Age remaster for PS4 has served as a good reminder of just how much I appreciate this game.

ZenTzen

1 - Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX/VI
2 - Lunar 1/2
3 - Persona 3/4/5
4 - Skies of Arcadia
5 - Chrono Trigger
6 - Xenogears/Xenoblade

No particular order, and i also cant choose between these, except FFVII, thats my absolute favorite

Apathy

FFT
Vagrant Story
FF 7
Front Mission 3
Parasite Eve

You can see the theme here, square at it's best during the best period for RPGs

1. Baldur's Gate 2 - Amazing all around. Massive game with plenty to do that improved upon the original in every way imaginable.

2. Xenogears - This game has immense problems, but what works in it really works for me. I love the story, the look of the game, and the music. They just come together so well for me that they easily overcome the game's shortcomings.

3. Final Fantasy Tactics - The job system is my favorite system and FF, and this is easily the best implementation of it. Sure the game is easily breakable because of it, but that's just part of the fun. Great battle system and story.

4. Suikoden 2- Like BG2, this is a game that improved upon it's predecessor in every way. That's my favorite kind of sequel, not one that reinvents the wheel, but one that just works to improve upon the base that the original built. Great music, story, great setting. Everything about it is just about perfect.

5. Chrono Trigger - Fun story and great music.

LKSmash

1. FF VIII
2. Mass Effect 2
3. KOTOR
4. Chrono Trigger
5. WOW

HM: Legend of Dragoon, Skies of Arcadia, Dragon Age: Origins

Smeags

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
(I've spent hundreds of hours with this game. And what I love most about it is how much of a role playing game it is in the classical sense. It was so fun to choose the kind of hero I wanted to be and what kind of adventure I wanted to have. That, and the *masterful* soundtrack by Jeremy Soule.)
2. Pokemon Sun/Moon
(It could honestly be any mainline Pokemon game, starting with the original Red/Blue. Forming a team of amazing Pokemon, becoming the very best, and then battling with friends is such a joy each and every time.)
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
(Fun, engaging, turn-based combat, awesome, hilarious partners and characters, and a creative, whimsical world to explore... there's not much out there like TTYD.)
4. Fire Emblem: Awakening
(Love the FE series, but I really enjoyed diving into the story as Robin, the awesome relationships with my favorite cast of characters, and the tried and true gameplay!)
5. Xenoblade Chronicles
(Incredible world to explore, wonderful music, fun real time battle system, and characters that really grew on you as you embarked on an incredible adventure filled with twists and turns.)

Neptonic

1. Fallout New Vegas
2. Pokemon Heart Gold
3. Earthbound
4. Deus Ex
5. Dark Souls 2

Shoutout to Final Fantasy 8 tho
that shit is super good

1.The Witcher 3
2.Skyrim
3.Destiny
4.Mass Effect 2
5.Fallout New Vegas

Im not including Zelda games in my list but I do consider them a RPG. Also the top 3 are interchangeable.

My top 5 RPGs are the same as my top 5 favourite games in general. It's a very varied list...
  1. Dragon Age Origins
  2. Dragon Age Inquisition
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. Mass effect 1
  5. Mass Effect 2
I find it difficult to really order the first 3 ME games tbh since I love them all equally and to me the best experience by far is to play the whole trilogy back to back

The other RPGs that make my top 10 all time favourite games are Dragon Age 2, ME Andromeda, Pokemon Emerald & Final Fantasy XII

Sanctuary

RPG
1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Final Fantasy 6
3. Phantasy Star 2
4. Fallout 2
5. Dragon Quest 8

Action/Other/RPG
1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Dragon's Dogma