• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

fatty

I started Ys Seven on PSP from a recommendation from a fellow gaffer, with one of the things being that it was a shorter RPG (~30 hrs). I was surprised at how much action-based gameplay there was when fighting the bosses. It was like playing a Zelda game, which is great. Need to get back into it but Dead Cells and Into the Breach have been taking my free time.

Started FFXII as it was on sale on Switch eShop during X-Mas. Finished the game today, after 66 hours.

what did you think of it? I loved the combat, this turned out to be one of my favorite FFs even though I didn’t care for the convoluted story (voice acting was awesome though).

My only experience with Yakuza was 3rd and 4th game on PS3 and Yakuza 0 soooo much better in terms of combat and I especially like that you switch different style during the battle.

Best combat in the series. Sadly the combat was simplified in Kiwami and changed completely for 6. It's still good, but 0 is the pinnacle. There's so much stuff to do in 0 and it's all fun, I spent an ungodly amount of hours in some minigames lol.

V2Tommy

Trails of Cold Steel III.

You know... after Days Gone, it seems a bit juvenile and shallow. I hope Tales of Arise gets me back into the waifu game!

V2Tommy

Got the decks cleared for Nights of Azure 2. Got my first day off since summer booked for Tuesday.

I couldn't get past 8 hours of this. Way too much musou garbo for me. I love the fanservice and art, but there's wayyyyy too much gameplay for me.

CuNi

Me and a Friend are playing the Tales of games whenever we have spare time.
Finished Graces F (and broke the Disc to save humanity from this abomination) and are right now deep in Berseria.

Kamina

Golden Boy
what did you think of it? I loved the combat, this turned out to be one of my favorite FFs even though I didn’t care for the convoluted story (voice acting was awesome though).
FFXII easily one of the best FF in my opinion.
The story was interesting enough, the combat was very accessible and the dual job system gave the game a sort of increased freedom of development. The world was well designed, although you recognize the age of the PS2 assets. I never felt like i needed to grind at any time. The hunts were an interesting addition to the game, and the search for stronger equipment was very addicting.
Beating that ultra Dragon with X Million health was super satisfying.

Overall, i’d even say it is one of the best JRPGs i’ve played.

GeekyDad

Backlog:
Conception II (PSVita)

Never could get through that game, and I've gone back to it a couple of times. I enjoyed the combat and systems, but the character designs and dialogue were cringe-worthy, and the music and sound effects are awkward and unnerving at times.

Of course, I'll likely go back to it again at some point because, like I said, I enjoyed the actual gameplay to an extent.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

At the moment im playing Atelier Ryza (my first atelier game) and i've been enjoying it a lot, and also tales of vesperia, wich is a great game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Never could get through that game, and I've gone back to it a couple of times. I enjoyed the combat and systems, but the character designs and dialogue were cringe-worthy, and the music and sound effects are awkward and unnerving at times.

Of course, I'll likely go back to it again at some point because, like I said, I enjoyed the actual gameplay to an extent.
If you are playing it with the english dub I don't blame you.

Well thank you guys for answering my question, I'm deeply moved. That being said, I just began playing Lacrimosa of Dana on the Switch (only version I could find a physical copy here in Brazil) and goddamn I just love the Ys series so much. It's just so charming. Next thing I know I'm looking to buy some games that I never heard about before like Blue Reflection, Dragon Star Varnir, Metal Max Xeno... Am I fucked here guys? Should I also invest in a dakimakura as well?

SpiceRacz

Currently playing Mother/Earthbound Zero. Started it years ago, but didn't get too far. I'm playing a patched version with improved encounter rates. Makes the game way more enjoyable. Loving it so far.

So this morning I finished DQ11 after no-life’ing it for 147 hours over the last week or so

wonderful game, thinking about going for the plat but I need a break

So after I closed DQ11 I figured I’d polish off another JRPG in my backlog:

Tales of Vesperia

Im only two hours in but I gotta admit, I’m really not feeling it right now. The combat seems clunky, but maybe I’m doing something wrong? When I press square sometimes he blocks, sometimes he doesn’t, when I hold L2 to run freely sometimes he moves and sometimes he stands still.

Is this user error, or is the real time combat in this game just kinda janky? I’m telling myself to keep at it and give the game a chance

Last edited:

Dynomite

I am working on Tokyo Mirage #FE, FFXII on Switch. I was playing Tales of Berseria, but got distracted. I plan to get back to that after the Tokyo and FFXII.

DQ11 is also on my radar. I am at post game now and need to keep going to get the true ending.

I have never played this many RPGs at once before. Feels wrong.

Impotaku

Currently juggling the post game of dragon quest 11 & ninokuni II, enjoyed them both immensely and i really don't want them to end. I'm sad that it's going to be a long time till we see another dragon quest game as 11 was amazing, the amount of detail in that world was wonderful, the simple things like the lighting as the clouds above the forests affecting the shadows was so good. The only thing that could have improved it was more slimes i love those little buggers and was hoping for all the variations like the gem slimes and the tower ones as well as the many others.

Pantz

Orangeblood
head01.gif

Playing it on Xbox (it's multiplatform since October 1st).

I'm really digging it. It's turn-based combat with guns and foul-mouthed anime girls. The gear and loot is just like Boarderlands with all kinds of context effects on your gear. There's lots of little cool things like idle animations and if you order food from a restaurant you can walk it to a table and sit down for an eating animation. It's got a cool 90's hip hop beats style soundtrack too. Oh and the lighting and effect overlays are very cool to make it more than just another pixel art game. I can see it's still limited by it's budget and it's story doesn't seem like it's going to be very long or epic. I'm not too far yet but it seems like a hidden gem.

Just finished FFVI for the first time and WOW the game is still great by today’s standards. At the same time, like most 2D RPGs from that era - it could really use a big budget modern remake. If they did a full FF7R style remake, it just might be the greatest RPG of all time (unless they do the same for Chrono Trigger).

GeekyDad

Orangeblood
head01.gif

Playing it on Xbox (it's multiplatform since October 1st).

I'm really digging it. It's turn-based combat with guns and foul-mouthed anime girls. The gear and loot is just like Boarderlands with all kinds of context effects on your gear. There's lots of little cool things like idle animations and if you order food from a restaurant you can walk it to a table and sit down for an eating animation. It's got a cool 90's hip hop beats style soundtrack too. Oh and the lighting and effect overlays are very cool to make it more than just another pixel art game. I can see it's still limited by it's budget and it's story doesn't seem like it's going to be very long or epic. I'm not too far yet but it seems like a hidden gem.

Love the visuals. Will have to check it out.

Dragon Quest VII on 3DS. I'm 66 hours in and 2/3 done.

Man, it really is a good game, and I absolutely love the DQ franchise, but for whatever reason that particular one just didn't keep my attention. I eventually shelved it. Perhaps someday I'll dust it off again.

gtrwll

Trails in the Sky SC.

Just finished FC last night and as the sequel was on sale I thought what the hell. Not as good as the first two Cold Steel games, but the story seems to be getting more interesting.

Not much atm because i'm having trouble choosing but i just finished playing FF6 and Chrono Trigger in Japanese for the first time after playing them 400 times in English.

So this morning I finished DQ11 after no-life’ing it for 147 hours over the last week or so

wonderful game, thinking about going for the plat but I need a break

So after I closed DQ11 I figured I’d polish off another JRPG in my backlog:

Tales of Vesperia

Im only two hours in but I gotta admit, I’m really not feeling it right now. The combat seems clunky, but maybe I’m doing something wrong? When I press square sometimes he blocks, sometimes he doesn’t, when I hold L2 to run freely sometimes he moves and sometimes he stands still.

Is this user error, or is the real time combat in this game just kinda janky? I’m telling myself to keep at it and give the game a chance

I tried playing this last year after hearing how it’s the best Tales game. Honestly it’s been a little difficult for me to stay engaged, and I ended up dropping it for a while. I’m sure I’ll pick it back up at some point but I was 15 to 20 hours in and the plot just kind of fell off a cliff, and wasted a ton of time on a mandatory quest (should have been a sidequest) for an incredibly annoying character.

I read up on the game’s structure and apparently there are 3 acts to it, and I’m around the end of the first one. But what makes me discouraged to pick it back up is that is supposedly one of the best parts. Maybe I’m just not getting it, but I feel like I’ve been waiting for the real game and plot to begin for so long and it just isn’t happening.

I loved Tales of Symphonia and made it a decent way through Tales of the Abyss - loved both games. What gives?

Arthimura

I started playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore. Honestly this game is very underated, i'm at Chapter 4 and i'm having a blast, story and characters are lighthearted, combat is more complex than tradicional entry-level jrpgs.

Tschumi

FFXII:ZA, FFXV because i didn't know it existed until recently, Persona 5 Royal, slowly, because I'm catching up to my p5 save and it's a grind.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I fought
Auroral Serpent
in Dragon Quest XI S. I love how Erdrea is pieced together. I’m about 40 hours in and I’m enjoying it.

GeekyDad

Started The World Ends with You on NDS, yesterday.
Day 2.
Great game. Been meaning to go back for another runthrough. Got it when it released, and it was really refreshing at the time.

Doing Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume myself right now. Another I got back when it released. One of those DS games that became like Tactics Ogre and FFT for me -- usually do at least one or two annual playthroughs.

McCarth

FFXII:ZA, FFXV because i didn't know it existed until recently, Persona 5 Royal, slowly, because I'm catching up to my p5 save and it's a grind.
Wait, you didn't know FFXV was a thing that released after all the years-long drama around it's development????

I'm not even mad... I'm impressed.

_Ex_

46204_front.jpg
4085_front.jpg

These two are what I'm playing currently. I'm about halfway done with FFL2, and 1/4 done with TGS. I like FFL2 a fair bit (much more than the first FFL), but its aggressive encounter rate wears my patience down after 20-30 minutes, so I only play it in short stints. TGS has a very slow and methodical pace, with a unique combat system that can be tedious at times. However, TGS still has that Quintet mystique and a great OST, so it's not without merit.

About 6 hours into Bravely Default 2. I'm liking it a lot so far. The soundtrack is LEGIT

46204_front.jpg
4085_front.jpg

These two are what I'm playing currently. I'm about halfway done with FFL2, and 1/4 done with TGS. I like FFL2 a fair bit (much more than the first FFL), but its aggressive encounter rate wears my patience down after 20-30 minutes, so I only play it in short stints. TGS has a very slow and methodical pace, with a unique combat system that can be tedious at times. However, TGS still has that Quintet mystique and a great OST, so it's not without merit.
TGS was one of those games that always looked interesting to me seeing the ads in gamepro and egm but no rental place or store ever had a copy.

Tschumi

Wait, you didn't know FFXV was a thing that released after all the years-long drama around it's development????

I'm not even mad... I'm impressed.
I sorta stopped playing it pretty quickly until Digital Foundry talked up the game engine :p my girlfriend seemed a bit interested in it too so I'm gonna have to git 'er done now :p

Daymos

Just started Trails in the Sky Second chapter, that ending of Sky #1 was so good.. it's what got me to come back for more. It's nice to be hanging out with Estelle again, a really great protagonist who is just really well written and believable/likable. My plan is to do one of the "trails" games every 6 months or so ALL the way to trails of cold steel 4. Of course by then I'll probably a few more to play. Someday I hope to get to the Ys games too, probably only Origins and then 8 and 9 though. Maybe 7 if I fall in love with the series.

I'm organizing my JRPG plans for the rest of the year too.. hoping I can get to persona 4 golden and person 5 royal this year, I feel like I should play those before Shin Megami Tensei 5. There's of void of Atlus in my life, too much Square-Enix over the years. I'm still hyped for FF16 but that E3 showing from square made me think I shouldn't keep all my JRPG eggs in 1 basket.

Last edited:
Top Bottom