• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just waiting for this get unlocked....
xenoblade-3-future-redeemed.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Chained Echoes.
Not technically a JRPG since it wasn't made in Japan but it's clearly heavily inspired by them.

And holy shit this game is amazing. I honestly can't believe this was primarily made by one guy, like WTF is everyone in japan doing?
This is the first JRPG in a loooong time where I feel like every element is great: I really enjoy the story and characters, I really enjoy the gameplay, the world and level design is a blast to explore, it has good pacing, a well balanced difficulty.

I also love how it takes inspiration from the past but it's not trying to be an imitation, instead it takes what worked back then but also ads a ton of original idead which work really well (for the most part)

isual

oh snap. I completely forgot about this thread that I made just over 10 years ago! wow does time go by. (think about it, what have ya'll done or accomplished in those 10 years as well?).
since making this thread, i've graduated college, worked at a few companies in both private and public sector. bought 2 brand new cars and paid off 1 fully already, got a good net worth just over 6 figures. i personally 'feel' that I need to do more, but I do think that my situation could be worse, and am always greatful for what I got.

anyways, i've been slowly slogging through DQ7 on 2dsxl, a little bit of atelier ryza 3 on ps5, and I have a few more ps4 jrpgs that I bought but just barely started; fairy fencer refrain chord, labyrinth of galleria 2, labyrinth of zengetsu, and a few more I may have not mentioned.

I'm almost done with xenoblade 2, just finishing it and doing the merc missions as I do some quests here and there. I finally passed sword valley and am in the mecha village in xenoblade 1, and I'm still in the beginning of xenoblade 3. for the torna expansion of 2, I just installed it. so many games, just not enough time.

also, reading books here and there baybayyy!! my goal is to finish 12 books in one year. previous years i've done close to half or at least 9 at the most.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Was 3/4 through the Trials of Mana remake. Switched (no pun intended) to Harvestella for a couple months and I play between other non-JRPGs.

Reactions: Isa

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
FFV Pixel Remaster. Grabbed the other 5 platinums, just need this one to finish the PR set. Then I’ll probably go back and finish the couple left on Steam for 100% I have left.

• Strength
Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've been debating on trying out a Persona game recently. Don't know which one i should go for though.
I recommend playing Persona 3 & 4 before playing Persona 5, not because of story reason more because if you play Persona 5 its harder go back to Persona 3 & 4 because of all QOL in P5.

Buy you can jump to Persona 5 without ever needing play previous games, they all have their own separate story and characters.

marcincz

Finished Yakuza LaD.
Great, just great game. As a big Yakuza fan I was skeptical to change main character and battle system, but must to admit this title is fantastic. One of my favourite Yakuza title.

I've been debating on trying out a Persona game recently. Don't know which one i should go for though.
I recommend playing Persona 3 & 4 before playing Persona 5, not because of story reason more because if you play Persona 5 its harder go back to Persona 3 & 4 because of all QOL in P5.

Buy you can jump to Persona 5 without ever needing play previous games, they all have their own separate story and characters.

I can't make the same recommendation.

Persona 3 is going to get a remake that will release next year.

I played Persona 5 first and think Persona 4 is still largely playable, but my guess is it gets a remake as well.

Play Persona 5, then play the P3 Remake and by then P4 will probably have a remake announced too.

The lack of QOL is the exact reason not to play P3 and P4 as they exist today.

P5 is a masterpiece and I think they know that. It was consumed at a much higher rate than P3 and P4 so going back and giving them the P5 treatment is a boon for them.

P6 will also probably release in the next 2 years.

F31 Leopard

I just finished SMTV. I gave up on it in 2021 because it was too hard and frustrating. I started over from scratch and finally understood the game better. Got the "True Ending" too. It has to be one of my favorite JRPG's of all time. I'm so glad I revisited SMTV. I'm on new game plus and also just started P5R. I'm not enjoying it as much as SMTV though.

marcincz

Jrpg fans I need little help with TLOH Trails from Zero.
Which version should I take, over one year after day1? PS4 or NS?

Jrpg fans I need little help with TLOH Trails from Zero.
Which version should I take, over one year after day1? PS4 or NS?
As someone who just made this decision his week, PS4.

The “missing content” FUD is strange. It’s literally just a message log. That’s it. You get 4K/60 graphics on PS4. That is more “missing content” to me than a message log. Also, the PS4 save file can be imported into future games (like Reverie, and I believe one or more of the Cold Steel games).

Last edited:
I just finished SMTV. I gave up on it in 2021 because it was too hard and frustrating.
I just gave up on this game myself. I realized that I was fighting demons to just barely get enough money to heal myself so I could go back and fight the same demons. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Persona 5 combat was fun and interesting. This combat has not been. I’ll have to give it another try someday, but the story and setting are not very compelling.

marcincz

As someone who just made this decision his week, PS4.

The “missing content” FUD is strange. It’s literally just a message log. That’s it. You get 4K/60 graphics on PS4. That is more “missing content” to me than a message log. Also, the PS4 save file can be imported into future games (like Reverie, and I believe one or more of the Cold Steel games).
Thx man.
To be honest, 5 min. ago I've bought... PS4 version.
Got Trails from Cold Steel games on PS and decided to stay on this platform, with next titles from TLOH series.

F31 Leopard

I just gave up on this game myself. I realized that I was fighting demons to just barely get enough money to heal myself so I could go back and fight the same demons. Not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Persona 5 combat was fun and interesting. This combat has not been. I’ll have to give it another try someday, but the story and setting are not very compelling.
SMTV story is nothing special or engaging so I was more focused on the gameplay. Once everything clicked I became enamored with the it. Story seemed unfinished or missing plot points. I read somewhere that was the case during development. I really love the soundtrack as well. It really resonates with the atmosphere. I think there are 21 different battle themes which is nice.

isual

man, it's been a while since I've posted on here. mostly been on discord as that's easier to interact with people.

I still have a LOT of jrpgs on my backlog, such as SMT5, yakuza 1 and 2 remakes (already beaten the OG 1 and 2 on ps2). I'm almost done with trails in the sky 2 (at the last dungeon half-way through), but will get to it when I can. Then after trails 2, I'm going to most likely play trails 3 or go with zero and azure next, then cold steel 4 and reverie.

I think now that I am getting older, the best time to play a videogame is when you have done something productive all day and have been outside. anyways, catch ya'll again next year or something.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

With Kingdom Hearts Missing Link out likely middle of next year, I'm slowly replaying the series starting from 1 Final Remix to get refreshed on the story. Also, thanks to JP voice I won't suffer this time.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well I'm currently playing Yakuza 0.

Some may say it's not a jrpg, but kiryu was roll playing some masochist game with a dominatrix girl so I'll count it.

Hohenheim

Sea of Stars. But i'm probably not gonna finish it. About 7 hours in, not feeling the magic. It looks great though!

Last edited:

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
Chained Echoes.
Not technically a JRPG since it wasn't made in Japan but it's clearly heavily inspired by them.

And holy shit this game is amazing. I honestly can't believe this was primarily made by one guy, like WTF is everyone in japan doing?
This is the first JRPG in a loooong time where I feel like every element is great: I really enjoy the story and characters, I really enjoy the gameplay, the world and level design is a blast to explore, it has good pacing, a well balanced difficulty.

I also love how it takes inspiration from the past but it's not trying to be an imitation, instead it takes what worked back then but also ads a ton of original idead which work really well (for the most part)
I’m currently playing Sea of Stars, and these two games often get compared. I’m digging Sea of Stars. Did you play it too? Any thoughts on which one is better?

Fbh

I’m currently playing Sea of Stars, and these two games often get compared. I’m digging Sea of Stars. Did you play it too? Any thoughts on which one is better?

I liked Chain Echoes way more than Sea of Stars.
The story and characters are much better, I liked the combat more and it has a more interesting world to explore with some great world design.

Sea of Stars has better visuals and arguably better music (though I'd say that's up to taste), but in every other way I thought Chained Echoes was honestly on a different tier.

Labadal

Dragon Quest VII. I hope to beat it before before the end of the weekend. Will probably land in the 85-90hrs played mark.

Last edited:
Top Bottom