• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Currently playing SMTIII Nocturne and replaying FFVIIR on PS5 and also planning to replay SMTVI, VI:A and Strange Journey Redux before SMTV comes out.

Also we have Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise coming out soon, damn we have so much quality JRPG coming out this year.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Currently playing SMTIII Nocturne and replaying FFVIIR on PS5 and also planning to replay SMTVI, VI:A and Strange Journey Redux before SMTV comes out.

Also we have Scarlet Nexus and Tales of Arise coming out soon, damn we have so much quality JRPG coming out this year.

Our cups runneth over.

I do enjoy JRPGs more in summer as it reminds me of childhood.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dot Hack GU Recode. Its pretty decent although I am not feeling the combat system. Story and characters are neat.
I enjoyed .hack//G.U a lot but the combat and especially the dungeons have not aged well at all. People think the Tartarus in Persona 3 was repetitive, G.U. takes it whole new level.

Guileless

Just started Final Fantasy XII on PS4.
My second attempt, after PS2 version approx. 15 years ago.
This time I am going to finish.

How's it going? I've never finished it either. I think my brain was too WoW-centric at the time FF12 came out.

Still trying to finish this one.

035-0946-460_zoom1.jpg

Amane route. Fighting against her father right now. These last battles sure are hard.

marcincz

How's it going? I've never finished it either. I think my brain was too WoW-centric at the time FF12 came out.
Approx. 15 h in and still, after so many years, I don't "feel" and understand XII phenomenon.
Played every numerical FF games from VII, but for me this part is mediocre. I know XII has a big fanbase, but personally have a problem with this part. Maybe I'll change my mind in next hours, but I doubt.

badboyyy

Playin on PS4 - Rogue Galaxy PS2 HD version, I love this game, it has many features in one game, like exploration, different planets, many various characters, mini battle games with insectrons, weapons alchemy, entertaining battle system, skill tree, hunting quarries, factory where you can build and get new items, so many different enemies, new game plus :)

SinDelta

Rotating in between-

Dragon Quest XI S -
Act 3, rebuilt Cobblestone and need more money for upgrading my gear to take on various Act 3 bosses. Fuck the snow dragon.

Stuff to do-
Go back into the painting
Go to the sky island and take down the monster with stuff for the harp upgrade.
Defeat dragon in the snow region
Defeat the black Dragon under the castle? Seen no story reference to this guy aside from running away in Act 1, but I know there are doors I can now open beneath the castle with the ultimate key.
Pass Wheel of Harma trial 4 and 5.
Try finishing more side quests.
Go through the labyrinth.
Take out the actual big bad.
Xenoblade DE -
Finished the High Entia Tomb. Trying to do every side quest in Xenoblade DE is a mistake, made both better and worse by the new QoL features that make them easier to locate and do. Next up is Prison Island, which is where I hear the story starts going full throttle.
Ys VIII -
Weapons are now Orichalcum upgraded, exploring the other side of the island and seeing more of Dana's story.

Last edited:

lachesis

Ys IX Monstrum Nox.

I'm actually quite impressed with how vertical movements add to the game's progression, dungeons and all.
Could be a bit harder & trickier, but as always it's pretty Falcom-friendly level with little bit of jacked up, weird stuff in unexpected places.

Not bad at all. I was fully expecting to be disappointed after Ys 8, but actually I prefer the dungeons in this one better.
I hope in future Ys games, they'll bring back some of the vertical exploration too. Maybe hook shot, or clawed shoes that can give you the power of running up and down?

Last edited:
Nah, fishing isn't bad.

XV after all these patches and dlcs is a good game. Beat it last year (royal edition) and I really liked that game. Not the best FF in history, but it's ok.

Oh I think you mistake me! They say that because I'm always fishing in the game. That minigame is so addictive. I'm loving the game and have put wayyyy too many hours into it. It's pretty much my first Final Fantasy game. I bought all the dlc so I'm in it for the long run too. I'll play the 7 remake after.

marcincz

Oh I think you mistake me! They say that because I'm always fishing in the game. That minigame is so addictive. I'm loving the game and have put wayyyy too many hours into it. It's pretty much my first Final Fantasy game. I bought all the dlc so I'm in it for the long run too. I'll play the 7 remake after.
Sorry, misunderstood.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I'm further working on my list of shame slash backlog.

Put a couple of hours into Vagrant Story but I don't think it's for me. It's too much of a dungeon crawler which is not what I usually enjoy (even tho I love SMT and Persona) and the gameplay feels sluggish with the menu system rather unintuitive. I like what they went for, but I think Parasite Eve did similar combat systems much better.

I then had this weird idea to play all the localized Dragon Quest games from before Dragon Quest VII so I am running through the original NES version of Dragon Warrior. Holy shit this is the grindiest game I ever played. I just run around the towns for hours the get gold for equipment, it is almost maddening but still I can't stop.

Last edited:

Guileless

I then had this weird idea to play all the localized Dragon Quest games from before Dragon Quest VII so I am running through the original NES version of Dragon Warrior. Holy shit this is the grindiest game I ever played. I just run around the towns for hours the get gold for equipment, it is almost maddening but still I can't stop.

No way better to kill a hot summer afternoon when you're 10 than hunting for Goldmen in Dragon Warrior.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
No way better to kill a hot summer afternoon when you're 10 than hunting for Goldmen in Dragon Warrior.

And somehow it works for a 40-something working from home too! And I wish I found those Goldmen, trying to get 7000 gold for some magic armor over here...

Guileless

And somehow it works for a 40-something working from home too! And I wish I found those Goldmen, trying to get 7000 gold for some magic armor over here...
I heard that! I would love to tell my assistant to clear my calendar for the afternoon because I need to hunt Goldmen.

Kev Kev

ffxii and im loving it! oddly enough, i played for for a handful of hours when it released and didnt like it at all. i guess ive just given up on them going back to their roots, so i more accepting of games like ffxii

still tho, i wish square would go back to old school top down rpg with turn based combat. or an old school srpg like shining force

Last edited:

Merkades

I was playing Atelier Ryza 2 and Trails of Cold Steel II, until a few hours ago when I saw Ys IX Monstrum Nox was released, so I bought that and Monster Hunter Stories 2, so now I have three that I am playing with a fourth to join on Friday. I also have a few other games in my current rotation, but they are not JRPGs (stuff like CoD WW2 and BL3).

marcincz

Persona 5 Royal
My first time with this series. 20 h in and I am very impressed.
Story, heroes, activities, boss #1 and his actions (what a bad guy) all of these are fantastic.
I can't wait to play again and discover next bosses and story.

beardedmoose

Neo Member
Currently going through SMTV.

Fantastic game so far, even with the weird IQ and framerate issues :messenger_grinning_sweat:. Absolutely addicting demon management (as per usual) and the traversal is quick and painless from the beginning, making this less tedious for unpatient folk.

This reminds I still need to finish SMTIV...

lachesis

Yakuza 7.

I'm still trying to get used to it. On Chapter 5 - and there are so much little things going on. Part time quests, Dragon cart, Sujimon list, movie watching etc etc...
So far it feels rather eclectic than anything, and honestly I've been falling asleep off and on during the battles & random encounters.

The battles could have been executed smoother - that whenever there's small obstacles (like wall/vehicles etc) - the characters sometimes run around while being stuck for a while, etc.
Environmental attacks are now much more random/by luck too.

Yokohama Ijin-cho map is HUGE - it feels like 4-5 times larger than Kamuro-cho and Sotenbori.
Thank goodness for the taxi service, but there are so much fetch this on A to B to A etc.
Just started working on the Business Management mini game so that I can get some $$$ to invest the weapon and other stuff... but so far, I am still waiting good stuff to happen.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to complete those mini games as soon as they open up, and I feel rather overwhelmed? I used to do the side quests first, then just go 100% story focused w/o interruption in previous games... but I think I need to pace myself differently with this one.

More than anything, I'm just quite pissed at Daigo/Majima/Saejima for fucking up again.
As Kiryu, I've been saving their ass all the time, and within 2 years, they fucked up the Dojokai... again. So disappointed.

Ev1L AuRoN

Replaying Persona 5 on RCPS3 with 4k Textures and 60fps mods since Atlus don't want my money and didn't release P5Royal Edition on steam yet...

I finished replaying Final Fantasy 9 on Switch. Still a great game

Currently Playing

Triangle Strategy (Switch)

Im 5 hours in and at chapter 4. The story is gripping and the gameplay is fun

Suikoden 2 (Vita)

Got 4 hours in and even though the game is good I find Luca to be kind of one note. Still has a good plot though

Yo-Kai Watch 3 (3DS)

Big fan of this franchise and enjoying this one the most so far. I'm around 11 hours in and got to chapter 4 for both characters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Dragon Warrior 7 PlayStation 1

Holy crap if you miss a shard you can literally spend hours back tracking to find them.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Playing FF14 and almost done for now. Planning to get FF12 once the Steam summer summer sale starts, since I’ve never played through it.

Doom85

Is neo the world ends with you any good? I haven't really seen many people talk about it.

I haven’t played it, but Youtuber Scott the Woz (who is hilarious) did his traditional “looking back at another year of Nintendo Switch” video recently and he mentioned playing it and really enjoying it and lamenting how the fan base soon forgot about it. And Scott usually doesn’t even get into RPGs.

Top Bottom