• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What keeps the Switch going?

Marty-McFly

Banned
PS5 and Series X are selling all they can at the moment so your implication that people are choosing the Switch over them is crazy.

If you want a more valid comparison, look at PS4 and Switch. No way does Switch have a better library than PS4, it's not even close in terms of quantity or quantity. Yet Switch continues to sell faster than PS4 did.

As others have said, the kid-friendly nature of the library / portability are far more compelling arguments.
I mean, Switch just sold 28.8 million in a year, and PS4's best year ever was 20 million, so I don't think it's that crazy for him to surmise that the same would be the case if the other consoles were fully available. There is nothing that really differentiates the PS4 and PS5.

Nikodemos

Portable/hybrid gaming, then first party games. Not everyone wants to do portable gaming on a cellphone or tablet. And there's always a draw for first party games.

I dont think price is as important anymore when gamers have to consider extra joycons for $100 cdn and more money for SD card storage. Nintendo systems for years have shit online, bad third party games, last gen looking games, tiny HDD so its not those factors.

Someone may say it's first party games most important. Maybe. I'd counter that buy saying Nintendo systems always have their great Mario and Zelda games, but Wii U, GC and N64 did lousy. And they all had solid first party games.
There's also the small issue that phone/tablet games tend to be shit outside emulated stuff. And they murder battery life. Having a dedicated games device means you don't have to choose between games and keeping enough battery for calls/browsing.

Corgi1985

Banned
It must be some sort if shared delusion given the shit overpriced hardware, shit online, shit games, shit controllers, shit features, shit ergonomics. Never played a worse rpg than pokemon sword, a worse strategy game than fire emblem, a worse golf game than Mario golf, a worse rpg than pokemon, a worse tennis game than mario tennis, a worse party(?) game than 1 2 switch, a worse game than pokemon sword. Not only did nintendo not manage to make anything new, but this system feels more outdated and outclassed than the wiiu or 3ds did. A true piece of garbage. Maybe when SMT5 releases there will be something worth playing on the system, but until then there's endless shovelware, a mediocre zelda from 4 years ago (that can't even run at 30fps at native res on the system it was designed for), wiiu ports, and bare bones minimal effort first party games. Not to mention the worst versions of third party games for a ripoff price of $60 (Mortal kombat port is truly awful).

My nephews won't even touch it and they are the target demographic. I really don't get it. If you want to throw your money in the garbage just do that and don't buy something that just takes up space.

SpokkX

The same reason Nintendos shitty hardware always sells - great exclusive software (Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokemon etc)

Switch is shitty hardware sure. In fact it is awful
… but Switch is still relatively better than many other older consoles compared to everything else. Nintendo DS and 3DS - now those were pure trash hardware from the start, so was the Wii.

in summary Switch hardware is quite bad - but for Nintendo it is actually better than they have been in 15 years.

meeHjPq.jpg

I just bought the Switch version of Ys IX: Monstrum Nox and let me tell you, that game is a phenomenal version of the game even though we all know there is a PC version available I still preferred to buy the Nintendo Switch version and the reason for that is for portability and the fact that I could care less about framerate or resolution. I was never that type of gamer to begin with, I don't really care that much about graphics as long as the game is fun and enjoyable to me. And guess what guys there are millions upon Millions upon millions of other Gamers out there who feel the same exact way.
clean bruh

J83BRV4.jpg

Games? Just got this lot in yesterday and it'll keep me plenty entertained during summer.

It's the perfect little console for a lot of people, has great games and fantastic third party support if you don't mind the lack of the standard annual western shit. And the portable form factor is awesome.
My 10 year old nephew bought one a week ago and he's already played like 50+ hours of minecraft and some plants vs zombies shooter on it. Sure, he could already play that, arguably better, on his PS4 or PC, but the portability of the thing is a huge plus.

As for performance. I have around 80 games on it now, and I have yet to find a game that truly underperforms. I guess Hyrule Warriors 2 in co-op mode ran like crap? But it was perfectly fine in single played mode. I've never cared that much about technical stuff. I mean, I can play stuff at 2560x1440 100+ fps on PC but I just can't be arsed most of the time. I already spend tons of time behind the computer when working or editing pictures.

it always baffles me that people on Neogaf can't see that different people can have different priorities. To me, the biggest issue with the Switch that I'd like to see upgraded is the battery life. Current Switch with the current level of (Japanese) third party support could easily entertain me for another 10 years.
fate link is legit

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
It must be some sort if shared delusion given the shit overpriced hardware, shit online, shit games, shit controllers, shit features, shit ergonomics. Never played a worse rpg than pokemon sword, a worse strategy game than fire emblem, a worse golf game than Mario golf, a worse rpg than pokemon, a worse tennis game than mario tennis, a worse party(?) game than 1 2 switch, a worse game than pokemon sword. Not only did nintendo not manage to make anything new, but this system feels more outdated and outclassed than the wiiu or 3ds did. A true piece of garbage. Maybe when SMT5 releases there will be something worth playing on the system, but until then there's endless shovelware, a mediocre zelda from 4 years ago (that can't even run at 30fps at native res on the system it was designed for), wiiu ports, and bare bones minimal effort first party games. Not to mention the worst versions of third party games for a ripoff price of $60 (Mortal kombat port is truly awful).

My nephews won't even touch it and they are the target demographic. I really don't get it. If you want to throw your money in the garbage just do that and don't buy something that just takes up space.

Marketing then I guess?

FStubbs

The same reason Nintendos shitty hardware always sells - great exclusive software (Mario, Zelda, Smash, Pokemon etc)

… but Switch is still relatively better than many other older consoles compared to everything else. Nintendo DS and 3DS - now those were pure trash hardware from the start, so was the Wii.

in summary Switch hardware is quite bad - but for Nintendo it is actually better than they have been in 15 years.
So out of curiosity, what would've been GOOD hardware in 2017 for a handheld if the Switch is "quite bad"?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Marketing then I guess?
Or people like the games? Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean thats true for everybody else.

I have both PS5 and Switch but I'm playing more game on my Switch than on PS5.

Most of you guys have this stupid mind set that everybody needs to share same opinion as you and if not they are "wrong".

It may sound crazy to you but me and everyone else bought Switch because we like the games it has.

Last edited:

Is this a character?

Derktron

Banned
What I don't get is the idea that you have to be a fan of either Steam Deck or Switch like the two are mutually exclusive, or that Steam Deck coming in with significantly better specs would be cause for concern among Nintendo owners. Why not want both?

Fanboys love drama, I guess, though I suspect that most of the concern isn't coming from people interested in the Deck or the Switch.
It's useless drama, people are way too dramatic for something that does not pertain to them or even bother to them

Marty-McFly

Banned

Switch was as good as it could have been in 2017 for a portable console with a mass market price and adequate battery life.

It's actually the first time portable games truly felt like the console experience. Something I never saw with Vita.

This "awful hardware" narrative is complete fake news.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Its no secret the Switch is obsolete nowadays. People here have pointed out many games run at 500p or below, often at 15fps or so,

So why does it keep selling? If people stopped buying Switches, Nintendo would hurry up with their new console. What are people even buying to play on the Switch lol?

Is this one of those secret handshake threads where you're actually trying to say "I effing hate that this company is more successful than I think it deserves/my favourite company is able to be"

If so I apologise on behalf of Nintendo that your nose is out of joint. Be assured that they will likely experience failures again some time in the future and we hope you feel better when they do.

SirTerry-T

Wise words there Ladies and Gentlemen, from who appears to be a very angry man.

Apple... Disney... Nintendo.

The same reason Apple consumers never need to think of what their next device will be, the same reason Disney fans bought Disney Classic Films (now they stream it) every year...

Is the same reason why Switch still sells.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The console that's going to sell the most consoles this year, and probably be the best selling console of all time, is obsolete is it? When did this happen?

When will so called gaming "enthusiasts" learn that power is not the be all and end all? Up until the PS4/XB1 generation, the console with the most power was never the best selling console.

Marvel14

Banned

Are you a masochist crying out for help, an eternal optimist whose reality has just come crashing down or a curmudgeon who just has a very peculiar way of showing appreciation (trashing instead of praising)?

I vote for the second one. Hope things get better for you soon.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Lady, calm down, it's just a game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

My nephews won't even touch it and they are the target demographic. I really don't get it. If you want to throw your money in the garbage just do that and don't buy something that just takes up spspace.
Guys, his nephews won't even touch it.

Nintendo is finally doomed.

Ritsumei2020

Do what you have to convince yourself and not face the fact that other people like things you don't like.

This is not personally aimed at you Danjin, its more of a general observation,

But where do you get the idea that I dont like Nintendo or the Switch? Why, because I asked why is still a hot item? I have a Switch (and even a WiiU lol) and many games. I dont know if I would buy one now, but 3 years ago it was a good purchase for me. I played the shit our of XB2 and Fire Emblem. I am looking forward to SMTV.

Still, I think its a valid question to ask why the sales are still going so strong now.

Do you feel personally attacked? You shouldn't, I am a Nintendo/Sony/MS/PC fanboy, depending on the console and game in question.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is not personally aimed at you Danjin, its more of a general observation,

But where do you get the idea that I dont like Nintendo or the Switch? Why, because I asked why is still a hot item. I have a Switch (and even a WiiU lol) and many games. I dont know if I would buy one now, but 3 years ago it was a good purchase for me. I played the shit our of XB2 and Fire Emblem. I am looking forward to SMTV.

Still, I think its a valid question to ask why the sales are still going so strong now.

Do you feel personally attacked? You shouldn't, I am a Nintendo/Sony/MS/PC fanboy, depending on the console and game in question.
You think people just getting around to buying one now, years late, are in a cult? Its literally the opposite. Long legs means it has mass market appeal to even casual fans who jump on late. This is why your post sounds hateful. It doesn't make much sense except to attack people who like Nintendo games.

Ritsumei2020

You think people just getting around to buying one now, years late, are in a cult? Its literally the opposite. Long legs means it has mass market appeal to even casual fans who jump on late. This is why your post sounds hateful. It doesn't make much sense except to attack people who like Nintendo games.

I wasnt serious about QAnon lol, I was taking the piss out that nonsense

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same reason why Wii, DS and 3DS was going strong despite of low power graphics, games!!! Games people willing to buy and play, its that simple....It has nothing do with cult or other BS reasoning.

Again we are getting this type of thread because people STRONGLY sure of themselves "Switch Pro" is coming without any official confirmation any kind just because Sony and Microsoft did "Pro" version their console Nintendo would do the same but they were wrong and got super pissed.

We saw very similar situation when Switch was coming out and most people here were convinced that Switch would fail just because WiiU failed but they were wrong and got super pissed.

Trimesh

Banned

It's reasonably available and people know what it is because it's got enough market penetration that pretty much everyone knows someone that has one. It's a play on the go portable while the other current consoles have to be tethered to a TV.

Most importantly, if you look at the complaints that people on here have about the Switch they are basically all "hardcore gamer" nonsense that the majority of the population don't give even the tiniest fractional fuck about. This is most obvious when looking at the number of people on here that hang onto the sort of stupid pixel counting autism pushed by people like Digital Foundry - along with a whole bunch of other graphics whore bullshit.

MrA

I
Any ok phone or tablet from 2017 was 2-3 times better

.. yeah switch was old at release it is just atroicious today
Wow, you're either grossly misinformed or a liar, the 5th gen ipad was more expensive and had a weaker gpu, the iPhone 8 was about on par with the switch at over twice the price, and so was the galaxy s8,
and that's assuming the ran ar full clock speeds, which without active cooling seems really unlikely

tassletine

Things will always annoy you or seem out of proportion when you're deluded.
Like for instance, if you like in a world where the Switch is obsolete -- Then of course the rest of the world is mad.

Hardly obsolete if its consistently selling out is it ?

Short answer? Not everyone cares about high resolutions and fps. In fact most ppl don't, its just the gaming community get confused and think they are the majority, which they are not.

Plus 1st party Nintendo games are pretty damn good and have zero chance of coming to any other platform (except Nintendo's next console, they love to repackage and resell).

JumpMan1981

Banned

I'd love to know what games this guy likes to play.

Yes, it must be some sort of shared delusion.

What you are expressing here is a feeling of being out of touch with reality.
I wouldn't worry too much because we all kind of feel that way with certain things.
Often I will go into the local shop and they have the generic pop radio channel on and it's ear battering cringe.
I just don't get the kids these days! Don't even get me started on Twitch!

Problem is that you've taken it too far and made yourself look a bit unreasonable.

I'd love to know exactly why some people get so aggressively upset at Nintendo's sales numbers or popularity.
They make videogames that people like. What more do you need?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
There should be a brave hero compiling a list of all games split up in average resolution and in average frame rate, and if they're consistent or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom