• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What keeps the Switch going?

Ev1L AuRoN

On PC I'm very elitist when it comes to graphics, play at ultra settings and high frame rates, with that said, I love my Switch, the lack of power doesn't bother me at all, the games that I play on it runs very well, and they are very charming beautiful games. I know the Switch has a lot of horrible ports, I just stay away from them.

My Switch is for:

Nintendo games
Indies
Retro-games

And the console do a stellar job playing those games.

For all the rest I have my PC.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Easy to have numbers when over half of that is App Store rejects that aren't even worth free.
You could literally say the same about the PS4. Any successful system is dawned to have a lot of shovelware.

(Mortal kombat port is truly awful).
It's literally the best Mortal Kombat experience you can have on a portable, runs at 60 FPS, resembles the game gracefully and looks good despite the obvious sacrifices that had to be made. "Truly awful" is as wrong as it gets.

Is this a character?
No, just a guy with a Nintendo hate boner.

DJTHEGREY

The switch has a legendary first party catalog, a kid friendly history (huge draw), and it's portable. The price is a bit expensive for the tech maybe... But people (especially kids) don't care that it's not 120fps and 4k.... They will play animal crossing, Zelda botw, pokemon and smash bros all day.

The lack of ps5 and series x/s helps too. Covid helped as well.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
That's mostly an enthusiasts thing. Average people aren't too bothered by that.
Nope, even "non-gamers" notice it, they think the machine is breaking sometimes and get worried, I've seen this many times, they'll also say the game is "glitching" without knowing how to describe the performance degradation. I've been talking to said people who've quit games because they fear it's breaking the machine.

So yea, that's a fantasy that only "enthusiasts" notice bad performance.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Crazy loyal Nintendo fans, who will buying anything and everything, no matter how ancient.
Also the exclusive games, charm, innocent and nostalgia.
It's certainly not their top online services.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hm, so the Switch is a toy used by more middle-aged men than children. Confirming my anecdotal evidence - half of the guys from the office over 40 own a Switch.
I’m over forty. I got a switch. I am male. Shit it’s weird it’s like a company that made consoles that were around in the 80’s /90’s that have given people many happy memories is supported by people who grew up playing them ?!? Who’d a thunk it ?

maybe ten to twenty years from now a lot of PS and MS players will be in the same boat.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It must be some sort if shared delusion given the shit overpriced hardware, shit online, shit games, shit controllers, shit features, shit ergonomics. Never played a worse rpg than pokemon sword, a worse strategy game than fire emblem, a worse golf game than Mario golf, a worse rpg than pokemon, a worse tennis game than mario tennis, a worse party(?) game than 1 2 switch, a worse game than pokemon sword. Not only did nintendo not manage to make anything new, but this system feels more outdated and outclassed than the wiiu or 3ds did. A true piece of garbage. Maybe when SMT5 releases there will be something worth playing on the system, but until then there's endless shovelware, a mediocre zelda from 4 years ago (that can't even run at 30fps at native res on the system it was designed for), wiiu ports, and bare bones minimal effort first party games. Not to mention the worst versions of third party games for a ripoff price of $60 (Mortal kombat port is truly awful).

My nephews won't even touch it and they are the target demographic. I really don't get it. If you want to throw your money in the garbage just do that and don't buy something that just takes up space.

Happy GIF by Disney

Davey Cakes

The GAMES. There is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo many game on this damn thing.
Yeah, and I imagine the Switch's main audience isn't the type to get upset when a new AAA game doesn't release every week. If you're okay with playing games that the Switch can actually run then you'll always have a massive backlog of really accessible stuff. Nintendo games, indies, and even mobile-tier experiences are all there. People will not run out of things to play.

HotPocket69

Banned
Its no secret the Switch is obsolete nowadays. People here have pointed out many games run at 500p or below, often at 15fps or so,

The average, normal, casual consumer doesn’t give a frogs fat ass about framerate or resolution.

And the Switch isn’t obsolete 😂 Have you seen the Animal Crossing sales?

Shit Take Mondays By Ritsumei

daclynk

The Vita failed because a) Sony didn't bother supporting it past the launch window; b) Sony made a ton of early mistakes that were very difficult to fix, particularly at a time when the entire corporation was bleeding money.
The Wii U failed because a) Nintendo was concentrating its funds and dev effort into supporting the 3DS (which had a suboptimal start the previous year); b) they had avoided making HD games for the better part of the generation, meaning they were completely unprepared when the need eventually arose.
Not to mention that the Wii U felt somehow... half baked, like they suddenly found out to their horror that people had abandoned motion controls, causing the Wii to completely wither, and they felt the need to slap something together quickly, in order to keep the lights on at the home console division. It felt simultaneously rushed yet underpowered, but also underutilized (cue the famous 2012 Penny Arcade strip).
Yes in the Market it failed but in the eyes of the 10 people who bought it, See awesome console it is. It gave as some of the best evolution in Some staple Nintendo IPs. ie, GOTG Zelda BOTW, Splatoon, Mario Maker and other Big hardcore games Bayonetta 2. Clever online interation with game such as Miiverse.
I Still Cant believe Miiverse is dead. The switch is perfect for it. Imagine spotpass, streetpass and miiverse all backed into Nintendo switch online with ur Nintendo ID. I hope nintendo bring them back in some form.

Top Bottom