• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What really went wrong with the Gamecube?

Theonik

Some test kits did support this but it wasn't the norm and they were pretty rare.

Yeah, getting 4 GBAs together is pretty unlikely. Luckily, you can use multiple GCs and TVs.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2300/2366871669_c74d8da6a4_z.jpg?zz=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3NNZ65Z0IyE
I guess it makes sense that this would work but that's still pretty crazy.

RedSwirl

Don't know if it's been stated yet or not, but Howard Lincoln (head of NOA) actually tried to court western third party publishers. It's why N64 had the dream team and such a large amount of FPS's & racers. It's also why Nintendo had Rare, Retro, Factor 5, Silicon Knights, Left Field and NST working on western games for GC in it's early life. After he left, the relationship dramatically changed and courting western devs came to a screeching halt. Rare and Left Field were sold, Retro, SK & NST were turned into making ports and old IP's instead of new ones and Factor 5 was pretty much given the cold shoulder. Basically, there is no relationship between Nintendo and western game developers. They now seem to focus almost exclusively on Japanese companies.

Edit - I should note that early in GC's life it was getting third party support from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. but that dried up as well by 2003. After that all that was really left in the pipeline was the Capcom 5 and first party titles. What third party games were left were poorly made ports. It was obvious something had changed by this time. Third parties were giving very little effort in GC versions of their games.

This is a good post. Also, in a previous thread it was added that Lincoln had the backing of Yamauchi's son-in-law in all his decisions, which was probably a powerful force within Nintendo. I wonder if it's true that the shift towards Japan was indeed a company-wide decision.

I could maybe see it making sense given the situation at the time: Nintendo had lost almost all their ground to Sony when it came to Japanese third party support, so they probably felt the need to put a lot of resources towards rebuilding those bridges, which they did start to during the GCN era. Also, back then few people could really predict how important western developers would become in the console space. Sure you had games like KOTOR and Morrowind exposing American console gamers to uniquely American-made games, but nobody could have predicted that Microsoft would jumpstart the next console gen before Japanese developers were ready for it, opening a void for western studios to fill. And even then, could a more aggressive NoA really have out-negotiated Microsoft for the cooperation of the western developers coming from the PC? Could more games from Rare, Factor 5, NST, Left Field, and Silicon Knights really have competed against the likes of Bungie, BioWare, Bethesda, and eventually Epic?

And even with the GameCube, Nintendo brought the royalties down to almost the level of PS2 royalties. They still charged more than Sony did.

I remember a comment from Howard Lincoln about how he believed that third parties were willing to pay more for the privilege of making games for the Nintendo console.

that's some hubris.

SNES is definitely 1. Its got a bunch of classics, but most importantly it also has a ton of depth. Gamecube and NES are next, and the decision is largely subjective depending on how much value you put in platformers. N64 beats Wii handily. The Wii has inarguably the worst library of any major console, Nintendo or not. N64's only problem is its absolute lack of depth; its top 10 is really good but beyond that its really sparse.

Point taken on the Wii.

On the point about the N64 having that solid top 10 and then not a lot of depth after that, couldn't the same be said for the GameCube? And with the exception of only a couple of games, I wouldn't put that GC Top 10 above the N64's top 10.

I'm really struggling to think of solid games outside of the GameCube top 10... especially games that weren't done better on other competing consoles at the time.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This is a good post. Also, in a previous thread it was added that Lincoln had the backing of Yamauchi's son-in-law in all his decisions, which was probably a powerful force within Nintendo. I wonder if it's true that the shift towards Japan was indeed a company-wide decision.

I could maybe see it making sense given the situation at the time: Nintendo had lost almost all their ground to Sony when it came to Japanese third party support, so they probably felt the need to put a lot of resources towards rebuilding those bridges, which they did start to during the GCN era. Also, back then few people could really predict how important western developers would become in the console space. Sure you had games like KOTOR and Morrowind exposing American console gamers to uniquely American-made games, but nobody could have predicted that Microsoft would jumpstart the next console gen before Japanese developers were ready for it, opening a void for western studios to fill. And even then, could a more aggressive NoA really have out-negotiated Microsoft for the cooperation of the western developers coming from the PC? Could more games from Rare, Factor 5, NST, Left Field, and Silicon Knights really have competed against the likes of Bungie, BioWare, Bethesda, and eventually Epic?

Yeah, there was an effort made to improve Japanese support but they didn't have to do it at the expense of western support. They already had it and the foundation was laid to build up western exclusives. After the transition of Yamauchi and Lincoln are when things changed imo. They quit caring about graphics, dropped western support and I think they are also in trouble with their portable market if they don't do the successor to 3DS right. There have been some serious mismanagement issues at Nintendo over the past 10 years.

As far as competing with other western studios, Rare made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark - two of the most well known FPS's at the time. There was also Retro who were comprised of prior Valve, id and Iguana (Turok) employees. Then there's Silicon Knights who at the time were making Too Human for GC. There's no telling how much different things would be now if things would have worked out differently. It's possible, Perfect Dark could have been as successful as Halo or that Too Human on GC could have been a much different more positive experience for SK. Having these games could have also opened up the doors for more third party games as well. We'll never know.

Interesting rumor on Retro Studio's current situation though:

http://emilyrogersblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/trouble-brewing-at-retro-studios-rocky-development-for-wii-u-project/

People have asked me what is going on with Retro Studios. As far as game projects, I have no idea. But I have heard one thing about Retro Studios. Nintendo has been in panic mode over the studio for the last year, and it’s had a negative effect on Retro Studio’s current Wii U project. Retro’s Wii U project is far along in development, but it had a rocky development road throughout the process which forced Nintendo to fly a few employees from NST out to Austin, Texas to make sure Retro’s project stays on track and reaches completion. Major gaps in positions and staff has caused delays and frustrations throughout the development process. If Metroid Prime 1 taught us anything, Nintendo will stick with Retro through thick and thin to finish it a project they strongly believe in.

Nintendo is currently rebuilding and restructuring Retro Studios after losing a majority of the core talent responsible for creating the Metroid Prime trilogy, as well as 2 out of the 3 senior designers of Donkey Kong Country Returns. But if most of Nintendo’s Donkey Kong Country Returns staff is still on board with Retro, what’s Nintendo worried about?

There's more at the link, but I think this is a reflection of the poor management decisions being made at Nintendo. They may have let one of the best, most respected studios in the industry fall apart.

Jac_Solar

I had a NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, and I also bought an Xbox (And PS2.) instead of the Gamecube. The color scheme and the design of the box itself and the controller made it seem like a cheap, flimsy toy. I think I even played some Gamecube games at a friends, but it didn't interest me - I couldn't get past the initial impression of it being a mere toy.

I've heard that Gamecube has the absolute best versions of certain games, like RE4, but the image of the Gamecube itself taints even that game, which I know is good/great. It could factually be the greatest version, and I would recognize that fact logically, but the image of the Gamecube is just so powerful that it's hard to care, at all.

I've never cared about any other "consoles" like that, as long as they had great games, so Gamecube is the first in that case. I assume it's because I didn't own one.

RedSwirl

ifferent things would be now if things would have worked out differently. It's possible, Perfect Dark could have been as successful as Halo or that Too Human on GC could have been a much different more positive experience for SK. Having these games could have also opened up the doors for more third party games as well. We'll never know.

http://emilyrogersblog.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/trouble-brewing-at-retro-studios-rocky-development-for-wii-u-project/

There's more at the link, but I think this is a reflection of the poor management decisions being made at Nintendo. They may have let one of the best, most respected studios in the industry fall apart.

This is exactly why Iwata has said he isn't interested anymore in buying studios outright (like Platinum for instance), instead opting to just create close relationships with them. Problem is, Nintendo hasn't done this with any western studios yet. How much of that talent leak could really have been prevented by Nintendo though?

serplux

This is exactly why Iwata has said he isn't interested anymore in buying studios outright (like Platinum for instance), instead opting to just create close relationships with them. Problem is, Nintendo hasn't done this with any western studios yet. How much of that talent leak could really have been prevented by Nintendo though?

They completely and immediately denied all rumors of trouble the day after.

Log4Girlz

Since the N64, Nintendo has sent a clear "FUCK YOU" message to third parties time and again. This attitude is reeeeally catching up to them now.

Point taken on the Wii.

On the point about the N64 having that solid top 10 and then not a lot of depth after that, couldn't the same be said for the GameCube? And with the exception of only a couple of games, I wouldn't put that GC Top 10 above the N64's top 10.

I'm really struggling to think of solid games outside of the GameCube top 10... especially games that weren't done better on other competing consoles at the time.

The N64 has

Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Super Mario 64
Starfox 64
Mario Kart 64
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Perfect Dark
Goldeneye
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros.
Pokemon Puzzle League
Conker's Bad Fur Day
F-Zero X
Diddy Kong Racing
Jetforce Gemini
Waverace
Ogre Battle 64
Sin & Punishment
Mario Tennis
1080 Snowboarding

Thats 21. After that, it gets really, really tough to recommend games. Next up would be Kirby 64, DK 64 (if you actually think thats a good game), and Pokemon Snap/Stadium. Even if you're lenient getting to 30 can be a bit of a stretch.

Meanwhile I think the Gamecube can get to 60 no problem. Hell, I listed near 50 earlier in this thread, and I left out a bunch.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I had a NES, SNES, Nintendo 64, and I also bought an Xbox (And PS2.) instead of the Gamecube. The color scheme and the design of the box itself and the controller made it seem like a cheap, flimsy toy. I think I even played some Gamecube games at a friends, but it didn't interest me - I couldn't get past the initial impression of it being a mere toy.

I've heard that Gamecube has the absolute best versions of certain games, like RE4, but the image of the Gamecube itself taints even that game, which I know is good/great. It could factually be the greatest version, and I would recognize that fact logically, but the image of the Gamecube is just so powerful that it's hard to care, at all.

I've never cared about any other "consoles" like that, as long as they had great games, so Gamecube is the first in that case. I assume it's because I didn't own one.

The irony is that it's one of the most sturdy, best designed systems ever. The failure rate on GC's were very low.

I agree with that philosophy to a certain extent, but they already owned Retro. Look at what's happened to NST. They have been given the shaft after making some great games like RR64, WaveRace: BS, 1080 Avalanche and Metroid Prime Hunters. What have they done since? They could have been a great studio, but instead they are a port house. Look at what's happened to third and second party studios close to Nintendo like Rare, Left Field, Factor 5 and Silicon Knights. My point is that there is a clear difference in the management of Nintendo before and after Howard Lincoln's departure. Could Nintendo have retained all of their employees at Retro? Certainly not, but things could have been done to prevent such a high turnover rate. Look at what happened to Rare after Microsoft bought them. Sure, some people knew what was coming and already left like David Doak, but Rare was still a very capable developer at the time Nintendo sold them. The mismanagement is what has caused the mass exodus of Rare employees leaving only a shell of their former self. The same thing has happened to Nintendo and western support. They don't care anymore because it's painfully obvious that Nintendo doesn't care.

That doesn't deny the rumor at all. There's no denying that top people have left and that Nintendo are hiring new people there. From that same link you posted:

As for the rumor coming from Emily Rogers I think it’s entirely possible everything she reported is 100% correct. I just think there could be a huge difference in how those rumors are playing out behind the scenes. Its possible that a lot of Retro employees are leaving after they complete their Wii U project. Maybe Nintendo didn’t like so many Retro employees leaving after the Metroid Prime Trilogy concluded.

serplux

That doesn't deny the rumor at all. There's no denying that top people have left and that Nintendo are hiring new people there. From that same link you posted:

I meant that they're not really in trouble. Since that post, they've hired a crapton of people from Naughty Dog, Vigil, Bioware, and the like. Talent may be leaving, but they're also bringing in a lot of people with experience with HD development. They'll be fine.

The PS2's success was the Gamecube's biggest problem, no doubt. But Nintendo made all kinds of bone-headed decisions that hampered its struggle to be a viable 2nd-place system.

Nintendo refuses to get with the times:
They pushed GBA connectivity while not just ignoring (mostly), but actively bashing online.
The controller has 2 fewer buttons than the competitions' controllers.

To be fair, they didn't start pushing GBA connectvity until two years into the GameCube's lifespan. I think it was a last-ditch effort to see if they could carve out a bigger market for all the GBA owners and see if they could convince some of them to pick up a GameCube since it was at $99 by then.

It didn't work. Not enough compelling software to make the connectivity feature an appealing thing for people.

Once they realized that feature wasn't resonating with people, they pretty much gave up on selling GameCubes and just put their efforts toward releasing hardcore games and making as much money as they could. There was nothing else they could do at that point.

Fonz72

At least in my circle of friends the Gamecube was looked at like a "kiddy" console. From the weird layout of the controller with it's bright buttons to the overall look of the system it just didn't appeal to us in our early to late twenty's. The Xbox and PS2 however seemed to offer a more mature gaming experience.

Went wrong? Nothing. It's the best video game console, ever.

It's my favorite console of all time, and I've been gaming since Pong.

But to say nothing went wrong is ridiculous. It got its ass kicked, and Nintendo's backwards decision-making had a lot to do with that.

Top Bottom