• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what should Nintendo do to put a stop to consumer confusion about what the Wii U is?

NickMitch

Sorry, but it simply comes across as wanting Nintendo to be infallible: even when they may mistakes, and/or if the Wii U isn't particularly successful, it will still be clearly on purpose and all according to keikaku.

Sure, i don´t want them to make mistakes or fail, but being optimistic is not less worth than being pessimistic.

Being realistic? Internet ain´t the place to be.

One thing is for sure: most companies don´t rely on luck or chance.
I would say a keikaku is crucial.

El-Suave

This thread makes me think back to E3 2011. I missed parts of the Nintendo press conference including the first part of the Wii U's introduction. I honestly thought the tablet was the console from what I had watched. Since a replay of the conference wasn't immediately available, I tried to bring myself up to date via message boards and website reports. They did not clear up that confusion and I remember that Nintendo admitted at the press breakfast a few days later that it was a mistake to basically hide the console.

One and a half years later they STILL haven't gotten their messaging right - that is a pretty poor performance by their marketing and pr departments.

I fully agree with the people that say confusion isn't the only problem of the Wii U though. If the games were there, people would make more of an effort to educate themselves about "that new tablet, which you need to play the new games", but what are Nintendo supposed to do? Games that could be considered graphical showcases aren't even announced yet and simple strokes of genius like Wii Sports that make the tablet a must have aren't easy to come up with.

NickMitch

I would say there was an element of luck to the success of the Wii.

I doubt they planned for it to explode like it did, nor fizzle so fast.

Of course there was an element of luck. But they probably didnt rely on it.
The appeal was quite obvious from a non gamer perspective.

Their fault for hiding the console and making a company policy out of it.

Also the console is hard to see on the box and has the same shape as the Wii. Of course the casuals have no clue. Good job Nintendo!

There is not much they can do. Rebranding would be expensive and would make them look even more stupid. Make another video! And change the box art.

Do the uninformed even use the word 'Console'? I thought they called them things like 'xbox' or 'nintendo' or 'wii' or whatever the most popular one is at the point, regardless of brand.

PaulLFC

That doesn't sound like a problem to me.
It's a pretty big problem. Lots of these potential customers probably bought a Wii. Every one of them that buys a Wii U is a plus for Nintendo. If a proportion of them think it's a Wii controller and don't find out it's a new console, then that's potential sales gone.

Bumhead

Banned
I feel a lot of the suggestions here Nintendo are more than capable of. Some of them they did for the 3DS. One of the first 3DS commercials after Nintendo decided to get their shit together was basically them slapping Joe Consumer over the head with an info pamphlet, with phrases like "This is not DS. This is Nintendo 3DS", and placing the clearly better than DS visuals front and centre of the advert.

I don't think all the Wii U's problems are this simple, but it might be a start.

Honestly though, I think there's a threshold to how much Nintendo can do. I don't think you can account for the mindless stupidity of sections of the general populace, and if these are the people who bought a Wii and who Nintendo want to buy a Wii U, then Nintendo might have to re-evaluate their stance on the Wii U. I think the Wii U can get by on 30 to 40 million sales to hardcore gamers over the next 5 years and do absolutely fine, and for those 30 to 40 million to get a good system at the end of it. If Nintendo expects those 90 million+ units to come again then I think they're in trouble. That audience has either moved on or isn't prepared to educate themselves about the Wii U enough to spend £300 on one, be that because the system is too difficult to understand or because they just don't want one.

I'm enjoying my Wii U but it's undoubtedly a tricky sell. It really is one of those things where I think you need hands on time with particular software to appreciate it. It's a good console, but not one I think can be sold to mass market with catchy buzz words, terms or appeal. I'm glad I'm not in charge of marketing it put it that way.

I think the Wii U can get by on 30 to 40 million sales to hardcore gamers over the next 5 years.
Nintendo haven't provided any real reason for anyone who owns an XBOX 360, PS3 or competent PC to get one (*unless they absolutely need Nintendo's first party output, see below), so I don't see how 40M to just the traditional enthusiast gamer is going to happen. The barren wasteland of a release list next year doesn't instill confidence that they will. They haven't provided much reason for the COD/Madden "casual" gamer either.

*And I don't think the core Nintendo fanbase that sustained the GameCube really numbers 40M.

They are banking on the controller being a hit with the masses.

Has this confusion always existed around new consoles, save for the 3DS? The Wii U is a pretty bad name, but it definitely seems like consumers are getting stupider, although that's probably a consequence of their own success with the Wii and the audience that brought in.

I also understand the point people are saying that a complete rename would cost too much, but rebranding is different. Slipping "Super Wii" into commercials isn't an end of world thing to do, just like it apparently wasn't in Japan, nor is rebranding the consoles general image like Sony did with the PS3 in getting rid of the Spiderman font etc. Surely these things are still options? I would suggest introducing the term "Super Wii" should be done immidietely and if it catches on from a marketing point of view, rebrand the system later to almost phase the "U" out entirely.
No, some Nintendo fans are just becoming more desperate about the whole thing without accepting the possibility that Nintendo just made a mistake. Consumers aren't getting stupider. They've recognized good products in the tablet sector(Samsung, Kindle, Google, etc.) which is giving Apple more trouble than they've had in a while, they are adopting new methods of content consumption in services like Netflix/Amazon instead of just being roped in by telecoms and they are making diverse choices in the phone sector with Android. Nintendo just made a mistake and instead of accepting it, fans are getting pissed and calling consumers "stupid" for making a mistake that industry vets/journos made when the Wii U was revealed. People have a glorious brain they can use to figure out the Wii U is a new system and it should be easy enough to understand, but it is Nintendo's JOB to get that point across. If the point is not made, then responsibility doesn't lie with the consumer. Iwata would kick Reggie to the curb in an instant if he came at Iwata with such an excuse.

Went down to a media/electronics shop close to my office this morning to browse for Christmas presents and overheard a discussion between a customer (male 30+) and member of the shop's staff.

When asked what the WiiU was the response was "It's like a Wii with a different controller.... but... umm... it still uses the old controllers." Customer: "eh, what do you mean?"

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Is there really that much consumer confusion? I don't subscribe to the opinion that consumers are all blithering idiots that can't figure out the U is a new product.

Ranger X

I wonder how american customer can understand Apple product's update but not Nintendo's?

I however agree it's too similar. The name is too similar, the boxes AND the console. They should have made a different design for everything. Same problem as with the 3DS -- and its obviously did cost them sales.

I wonder how american customer can understand Apple product's update but not Nintendo's?

I however agree it's too similar. The name is too similar, the boxes AND the console. They should have made a different design for everything. Same problem as with the 3DS -- and its obviously did cost them sales.

Isn't buying a new iPhone mainly a status thing? If someone has a smartphone they don't really need a new version right away and almost all the software will be the same, yet they all queue up for it. It's been years since people were queuing up for Wiis.

I think a good starting point, and something they could do immediately, is to start showing the actual console.

Every image I see of the Wii U in print, or on TV ads (even on the fucking box) is this one with the console hidden underneath the controller.

Wii-U.jpg

I understand that the Control Pad is a major differentiator with the Wii U, but if all anyone ever sees is the pad, there's little wonder that they think that's all there is to it.

I really don't think that naming the console Wii U is the problem. It's too late to change that anyway. What they need to do however is make it clear that not only the controller is new, but also the console. They need ads that do focus on the console being completely new, maybe also showcasing some of the main OS features.

Aside that I'm not sure if the people that currently are confusing Wii and Wii U are the possible Wii U buyers anyway (at this point in its life cycle). To me it seems like most of these people will buy a console once it hits 200, 150 or even only $100.

Is there really that much consumer confusion? I don't subscribe to the opinion that consumers are all blithering idiots that can't figure out the U is a new product.

Whether or not it's a significant problem is up for debate. But honestly, I think your "blithering idiots" comment is way off the mark. Many people don't follows this market as closely as people like GAF members do, and the marketing has been almost entirely on the controller. I've talked to multiple people since launch -- some gamers, some not -- who were under the impression that the Wii U was a controller for the Wii. Most of them weren't what I'd call "blithering idiots."

Sapiens

I asked my parents recently when they saw the WiiU controller and they even said it looks like a add on controller for Wii. I then asked if they think Super Wii would have been a good name, they both said yes at the same time. Nostalgia is a beautiful thing and it would happen for folks from the snes days and create new ones for the Wii generation

Your parents? Well then. I guess Nintendo really is wrong.

Himself

Except the Wii U needs those for multiplayer.

Hold on, really? I thought you could use the regular Wii motes! Fuck that shit. Can anyone confirm that I need to have a Wii U motion plus or whatever to play NintendoLand with other people?

Edit: I just confirmed that this is true for a couple of the games in NintenoLand. WTF Nintendo? How many god damn controllers are there for this thing? Not sure why they would do this, especially if its confusing to someone like me who has been gaming for 20+ years and reads GAF almost every day how is joe schmoe consumer gonna know? Ugh. The more I learn about Wii U, the more disappointed i become. If it weren't for Platinum, I could probably skip this thing for a long time to come.

Hold on, really? I thought you could use the regular Wii motes! Fuck that shit. Can anyone confirm that I need to have a Wii U motion plus or whatever to play NintendoLand with other people?

No, it's just a different branding and a different sync button. To clarify, you need motion plus for a couple of Nintendoland games but not a Wii U one.

QaaQer

I'm with you. I think the problem is that people just don't care enough to find out about it. Like when your listening to a radio, and a commercial comes on for something you have no interest in, you just tune out or change the station without hearing the message. Advertising can only do so much.

The system is a sham. Unfortunately (for those who care)

With the Wii they set the market, and reaped their little asses off.

With U they trail the tablet market, they copied, after the fact, and..

are saying 'Buy my tablet, not theirs, and pay me $50-60 per game, because well. Im fuckin Nintendo'

Arrogance. Greed. Fail.

They got a hard pitch at $60, thank goodness.

You all can thank them later, when you put your money in Bank of America with your name, instead of Bank of Nintendo.

Ah shit, what do I do with this extra $60, now, if I cant piss it away?

I'm with you. I think the problem is that people just don't care enough to find out about it. Like when your listening to a radio, and a commercial comes on for something you have no interest in, you just tune out or change the station without hearing the message. Advertising can only do so much.

So, you think ineffectual advertising should be blamed on the consumers.

StevieP

Banned
I hope not, but other sources on the Internet say you need it for the Mario and Zelda mini games. If this is true, why would Nintendo split the player base within a single game?

The swordplay in the Zelda game uses precision 1:1 control, as per Wii Sports Resport / Skyward Sword. You can't replicate that with the original Wiimote.

are saying 'Buy my tablet, not theirs, and pay me $50-60 per game, because well. Im fuckin Nintendo'

Arrogance. Greed. Fail.

Have you been living under a rock since 2005?

Himself

No, it's just a different branding and a different sync button. To clarify, you need motion plus for a couple of Nintendoland games but not a Wii U one.

Having to go out and buy a new controller to play two of the game on the disc you already bought is the most insulting DLC unlock ever.

Himself

The swordplay in the Zelda game uses precision 1:1 control, as per Wii Sports Resport / Skyward Sword. You can't replicate that with the original Wiimote.

Have you been living under a rock since 2005?

So does this mean I can't even play the Zelda game with the Wii U Tablet? If so...

Bumhead

Banned
Nintendo haven't provided any real reason for anyone who owns an XBOX 360, PS3 or competent PC to get one (*unless they absolutely need Nintendo's first party output, see below), so I don't see how 40M to just the traditional enthusiast gamer is going to happen. The barren wasteland of a release list next year doesn't instill confidence that they will. They haven't provided much reason for the COD/Madden "casual" gamer either.

To be fair my point was regarding when all is said and done in 5 or 6 years, or however long, and includes as many variables as you might care to apply including a greatly increased software lineup, price drops and the general increase in value that all consoles go through over the span of half a decade.

But it is all speculative. Nintendo could very well sell less than 40m, who knows.

I think the market who are waiting for certain franchises at a decent price is reasonably large. Large enough for Nintendo to market to and have a moderate level of success. I think the Day One market has already made their move, and in decent if unspectacular numbers (at least outside the UK and EU), but there are further markets behind the Day One crowd waiting to make their move. There's a whole bunch of people waiting for a specific release, or 2 or 3 specific releases, or for lots more releases to clump together towards the end of a life cycle, or for ambassadar programs or price drops. The list goes on. And those things are difficult to account for as we sit here now with no clue about Nintendo's 2013 strategy beyond March, but I think they do exist.

Either way I think the Wii U is going to be a slow burner and I think it will quite easily sell less than half the Wii shipment. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, either for Nintendo or for Wii U owners, but it's going to be a rocky ride for anyone who doesn't like reading negative sales-age stuff either way.

StevieP

Banned
So does this mean I can't even play the Zelda game with the Wii U Tablet? If so...

Yes you can. The tablet does the archer portion of the game, the Wiimote does the sword play. You're limited to 1 player with only the gamepad, however.

There are lots of used motion+ remotes on ebay for <$20 if you'd like to look.

ASIS

Redesign the console. Make a big statement how everything about it is new as opposed to just the controller.

Changing the name is suicide at this point.

BriBri

I know I've said this in previous threads but at the risk of sounding repetitive, my local giant Sainsburys has two Nintendo sections: DS and Wii, with 3DS and Wii U just shoved in there. What non-gaming mother is going to pay £300 for the Wii U when what they think is the same machine is just a fraction of the price (plus has a steering wheel and a picture of Mario and his green brother driving)?

tkscz

Let Mario stomp on the Wii and then take a Wii U out of his pocket

This, just make an ad that says bluntly, THIS IS NOT THE WII. Don't be subtle, I appreciate that Nintendo believes the average consumer isn't stupid, but they are, and easily get's confused.

Arrogance. Greed. Fail.

You all can thank them later, when you put your money in Bank of America with your name, instead of Bank of Nintendo.

The hell are you even talking about?

batbeg

Arrogance. Greed. Fail.

Ahaha what? Nintendo is in no way competing in the same game as tablets, even though their controller marginally looks like one.

Also, your username made this post especially awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You can use the bow. The Metroid game also required Motion+ but you can use the ship with the GamePad. As far as I know the multiplayer only games just need regular remotes.

You might be able to play as the archer. But either way, fear not as that mini game is terrible.

Correction, in your opinion it is terrible. Someone, like me, may find it quite enjoyable.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

That's the thing.
Despite the poor marketing and the apparently confusing name, the Wii U launch in the U.S. was actually rather good sales wise. It certainly sold more than the 360, the PS3 and the original Xbox (consoles with apparently non-confusing names) did at their launches.

KageMaru

They need better marketing, plain and simple. They need to stop hiding the console under/behind the controller. After Wii-fit, Wii-zapper, Wii-motion+, Wii Play, Wii wheel, etc. I don't understand how some think the name isn't one of the issues for the masses.

Since this system is unlikely to sell to a large portion of the Wii market (yet), they need to focus on the core and mainstream gamers in their marketing. Target the same audience MS and Sony targets with the CoD and Madden ads.

StevieP

Banned
Im a big advocate for you to put your extra $59.01 in the bank and laugh, spending only .99 instead of investing in Reggie Fund USA.

And I dont get the 2005 reference, what, apps, lower game prices, what? Wii U games are still upwards of $50, hell even their downloads are rape territory.

. Nintendo profited in times when people didnt give a fuck. And were to stupid with money to care.

Hahaha, look at Gamestop. What'll you get for you new zelda, 16$? 2 days after spending $60?

What is this I don't even...
The Wii U is a gaming console, not a tablet. If you'd like to read more about tablet games, click here.

They need better marketing, plain and simple. They need to stop hiding the console under/behind the controller. After Wii-fit, Wii-zapper, Wii-motion+, Wii Play, Wii wheel, etc. I don't understand how some think the name isn't one of the issues for the masses.

Since this system is unlikely to sell to a large portion of the Wii market (yet), they need to focus on the core and mainstream gamers in their marketing. Target the same audience MS and Sony targets with the CoD and Madden ads.
this

plus also they use the white and blue colors for marketing which is also confusing

Ocellatus

Neo Member
I can't figure out how they are really doing, but I guess we will have a better idea in January.

Either Nintendo is really killing it with their ability to supply Wii U consoles to retail, or people are just not that interested or they (most likely) don't know that a Wii U is not a Wii. I posted in the other thread about my area Walmart having plenty in stock over the weekend and how I felt that it was insane that a brand new console is so readily available one week from Christmas. However, I went by best buy after work yesterday and they had at least 60 Wii Us sitting behind the checkout area in addition to the few they had sitting in the games area. It blows my mind that it can be that easy to buy a Wii U less than a week before Christmas.

At this point, it might not be too late to simply put a sticker on each box that says Wii 2.

andymcc

Banned
Im a big advocate for you to put your extra $59.01 in the bank and laugh, spending only .99 instead of investing in Reggie Fund USA.

And I dont get the 2005 reference, what, apps, lower game prices, what? Wii U games are still upwards of $50, hell even their downloads are rape territory.

. Nintendo profited in times when people didnt give a fuck. And were to stupid with money to care.

Hahaha, look at Gamestop. What'll you get for you new zelda, 16$? 2 days after spending $60?

awful, terrible post.

Top Bottom