• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What silicon technologies should go into NEXT-GEN consoles: Xbox3 - PS4 - Wii2 ?

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Intel would be a good catch for Sony purely from a silicon process point of view. They are at least 1 generation ahead of IBM & AMD and design excellent chips with great TPD which should make for cheaper cooling solutions. Also have one the best yields per wafer in the industry.
If PS3 is launched 2012, Intel 1270 process (22nm) should be hitting the market in desktop and mobile CPU markets and it should be easy to scale Larrabee to 22nm from initial launch at 32nm node.

camineet

Banned
found this on Beyond3D
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=31379&page=25

According to a somewhat unreliable source , it includes this interesting rumors on PS4:

-Sony surveyed devs about doing a Wii style console and it came back hugely negative. So therefore "Larrabee" high end box was put back as an option, though not a necessity.

-For Larrabee in PS4, conflicting reports, one says it's ruled out, the other that it's still being evaluated.

-If it's a Larrabee system, it will only be Larrabee, no CPU.

-Sony plans to beat Xbox 3 to launch with PS4 regardless -(this seems suspect imo)

-Theres also PSP2 chatter in there and PSP2 is the alleged current gaming priority at Sony. Supposedly similar/small bump in power but with a lot of storage.

Regardless, strange that we've had more chatter about PS4 than Next box..not like the leaky MS..

camineet said:
Huge coup is true. I'm kind of with the rumormonger on the idea that Sony will shoot first next generation. I'm a little surprised at the idea of another complete change in architecture. I'd think that they'd want to maintain backwards compatibility. Of course, it could be that they're able to leverage what is a massively parallel CPU of a GPU into making PS1 and 2 compatibility a possibility in software.

According to a somewhat unreliable source , it includes this interesting rumors on PS4:

Yeah... that about sums it up.

Also, their plan to beat the Xbox 3 to the punch contradicts what Sony's been saying all along. Not saying I put any stock into it, but do they really want to bleed money before they could be profitable with the PS3?

Cow Mengde said:
Yeah... that about sums it up.

Also, their plan to beat the Xbox 3 to the punch contradicts what Sony's been saying all along. Not saying I put any stock into it, but do they really want to bleed money before they could be profitable with the PS3?

Ten year plan, lets see if Sony can stick to that.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
It was claimed that CELL was clocked up to 5Ghz range at 90nm node.

The IBM Power6 CPU which uses in order cores clocks up to 6Ghz at the 65nm node.

CELL 2.0 (8 SPUs) for the PS4 should be able to clock at 6.4Ghz on a mature 45nm node. This would allow for game developers to reuse their existing code base from the PS3. The console would be fully backwards compatible with PS3 software as well. The die size of this CELL CPU would be small so the cost would be low.

Then Sony just puts in a big GPU from Nvidia. It'll be able to do more heavy lifting than RSX.

While I'm sure Intel is almost offering Larrabee almost for free to Sony, risk is involved with this path. Sony would be starting over from scratch with their code bases. All the time and effort spent by their first party studios optomizing CELL PS3 generation games would be flushed down the toilet.

The idea of a Larabee being the primary and only processor in the system is an interesting one. There's something to be said about doing rendering in software on a massively parallel CPU and running game logic on the same array and having a unified memory that ties to it. All they really have to do is set aside part of the memory as a frame buffer, and only write to it during the vblank cycle. It will be like programming old assembly competition demos but with gobs of processing power - and additional processors - and additional memory. If the Larabee is what Intel says it is, it could make for a very interesting architecture indeed.

Brimstone said:
It was claimed that CELL was clocked up to 5Ghz range at 90nm node.

The IBM Power6 CPU which uses in order cores clocks up to 6Ghz at the 65nm node.

CELL 2.0 (8 SPUs) for the PS4 should be able to clock at 6.4Ghz on a mature 45nm node. This would allow for game developers to reuse their existing code base from the PS3. The console would be fully backwards compatible with PS3 software as well. The die size of this CELL CPU would be small so the cost would be low.

Even at 45 nanometer your looking at a very Hot box at 6.4Ghz. I believe Cell2.0 we'll see a increase in PPE's and SPU's and some minor tweaks to the PPE and not an increase in clock speed.

So My prediction for Cell 2.0
Cell 2.0 = 2 PPE's and 12 SPU's

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I see from reading my internal intranet this morning, that Larrabee has taped out and is at A0 silicon. Its still several months away from the maket but should be ready for the market at the end of this year, early 2010 at 32nm node.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i still havnt warmed up to the name "wii"

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?!?!?!?

IT WOULD HAVE SOLD TWICE AS MANY BY NOW WITH A SEXIER NAME

i know its sold out

navanman said:
I see from reading my internal intranet this morning, that Larrabee has taped out and is at A0 silicon. Its still several months away from the maket but should be ready for the market at the end of this year, early 2010 at 32nm node.
Are we talking about a 32 core revision?

Log4Girlz said:
When I suggested Sony drop the Cell in your thread about Larabee in the ps4 and just use Larabee and nothing else I was nearly crucified. Goddamn.
Even the mods have noted problems with groupthink in the past. Having a minority opinion often means getting lynched by other posters.

Log4Girlz said:
When I suggested Sony drop the Cell in your thread about Larabee in the ps4 and just use Larabee and nothing else I was nearly crucified. Goddamn.

I highly doubt the PS4 will be a Larabee only. Even using larabee as a CPU with be horrible. Besides, why would Sony throw out their entire tool chain when they don't have too? Why toss the baby out with the bath water?

Cell in the PS4 is a Given. The only thing that not too certain is what type of GPU it'll have. Some sort of Larabee acting as a GPU while using Cell as a CPU could work, but backwards compatibility with PS3 games would be out.

I'm just not buying this Larabee rumor till i see it. Then again stranger thing have happened.

Log4Girlz

Trailblazer said:
I highly doubt the PS4 will be a Larabee only. Even using larabee as a CPU with be horrible. Besides, why would Sony throw out their entire tool chain when they don't have too? Why toss the baby out with the bath water?

Cell in the PS4 is a Given. The only thing that not too certain is what type of GPU it'll have. Some sort of Larabee acting as a GPU while using Cell as a CPU could work, but backwards compatibility with PS3 games would be out.

I'm just not buying this Larabee rumor till i see it. Then again stranger thing have happened.

I'll respond like I did in the other thread. I think the rumor smells of BS. But, if they are going for a GPU that is made up of tiny CPU cores, why include the Cell if you can axe an expensive chip and just go GPU only? Its the only reason I can see for choosing Larabee...otherwise its a pretty big leap to go for such a non-conventional design.

As for the other rumor in this thread about manufacturers going for CPU/GPU integration next-gen ou of the gate...wouldn't surprise me in the least if the footprint is small enough so as not to affect yields. Larabee is a CPU/GPU by design.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
dreamcastmaster said:
Ten year plan, lets see if Sony can stick to that.

They're already backing away from that:

David Reeves said:
SCEE boss David Reeves has expressed uncertainty over the PS3's proposed 10-year-life span

During an interview in an upcoming issue of Play magazine, Reeves said Nintendo and Microsoft will have new models on the market before Sony would, but that he doesn't know whether the PS3's lifespan will be "eight, nine, or ten years."

"The competition will have new models on the market by the end of the PS3," commented Reeves. "I have no doubt and we’ll have to be fast on our feet.....I don’t know whether the PS3 lifespan will be eight, nine or ten years"

Source: http://ps3.nowgamer.com/news/218/reeves-uncertain-over-ps3s-10-year-lifespan

Trailblazer said:

Sony has a history of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

It also seems like the Cell hasn't been terribly popular with developers. It sounds like most use the PPE primarily with a few easy to stream functions offloaded to the SPEs. It may be much easier to get developers to take full advantage of a more traditional parallel processing setup.

It also might be the case where a lot of the tool chain could be ported over to X86 with items that would normally be offloaded to a SPE get offloaded to one of the many available parallel processors instead.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
i don't get you guys sometimes.

Wii succeeded by being different, changing the game. So now eveeyone else will succeed by copying? Surely the lesson to take away from Wii is that you can't predict how things will pan out.

And stop with the lack of imagination. Was it this dull last gen? ""Oh PS3 will probably be an overclocked PS2".
As for Sony abandoning CELL - why? They've already taken the massive hit in development costs, teams are getting used to the achitecture, is perfectly suited to games processing, and the multicore approach is being widely adopted. Unless GPGPUs are massively faster and cheaper, I see Sony sticking with CELL

Log4Girlz

mrklaw said:
i don't get you guys sometimes.

Wii succeeded by being different, changing the game. So now eveeyone else will succeed by copying? Surely the lesson to take away from Wii is that you can't predict how things will pan out.

And stop with the lack of imagination. Was it this dull last gen? ""Oh PS3 will probably be an overclocked PS2".
As for Sony abandoning CELL - why? They've already taken the massive hit in development costs, teams are getting used to the achitecture, is perfectly suited to games processing, and the multicore approach is being widely adopted. Unless GPGPUs are massively faster and cheaper, I see Sony sticking with CELL

How can you succeed by copying a successful company? I don't know, I don't think there has ever been a precedent for that....ever.

Especially when corporate entities are typically very averse to trying new things. Nintendo is fairly alone in it's openness to the idea of changing the interface elements around every generation.

D-Pad
Shoulder Buttons
Analog Stick
Freehanded motion control and pointer interface.

The others are likely to copy, but will be unlikely to take a new direction and abandon the old one unless someone else has proven it first.

FirewalkR

navanman said:

Come to daddy. :D :D

camineet

Banned
FirewalkR said:
Took me a few minutes to figure you were using 75 posts per page. I modified my options now. It's like using 100 ppp here at GAF, it's the only way to fly. :lol
Man, i completely forgot about that, never realized the number of posts per page I selected would effect others linking to a forum :)

camineet

Banned
bmf said:
Huge coup is true. I'm kind of with the rumormonger on the idea that Sony will shoot first next generation. I'm a little surprised at the idea of another complete change in architecture. I'd think that they'd want to maintain backwards compatibility. Of course, it could be that they're able to leverage what is a massively parallel CPU of a GPU into making PS1 and 2 compatibility a possibility in software.

I don't think Sony will totally change architecture. I think they'll keep CELL, and go with Larrabee for the GPU. I don't believe in the rumor about a Larrabee-only PS4.

camineet said:
I don't think Sony will totally change architecture. I think they'll keep CELL, and go with Larrabee for the GPU. I don't believe in the rumor about a Larrabee-only PS4.

If this Larrabee rumor is true and I'm don't think it is. It would have to be a custom job, designed with Cell 2.0 in mind. That being said. I can't help but wonder about 3 things

1. Would they include edram?
2. Would Larrabee be able to emulate RSX?
3. Would Cell 2.0 an Larrabee share a single pool of memory?

Top Bottom