• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Halt and Catch Fire is the AMC show I have really high hopes for.

Turn looks like it might be solid as well.

I haven't seen the trailer for Halt and Catch Fire (is there even one yet?), but Turn is giving me Hell on Wheels/Copper vibes. Take that as you will.
Pa5W2Wz.gif

I haven't seen the trailer for Halt and Catch Fire (is there even one yet?), but Turn is giving me Hell on Wheels/Copper vibes. Take that as you will.
Pa5W2Wz.gif

I don't think so, although critics saw some footage at TCA's iirc and the response was positive.

Halt has been excited based on the premise and the people involved. Who knows how it will turn out at this point though.

spwolf

I kind of liked it. The girl carried the show for me.

I really did not like Resurrection on the other hand, it was not super bad but just did not hold my interest (and I usually stick around for a lot stuff).

Believe is pretty good, i liked both episodes.

Crisis is just awful... so many well known actors and such a horrible show. Makes no sense at all.

Linius

It's not good for me so many interesting shows are returning/set to start in the coming months. I want to watch evrything but I just can't :p

ivysaur12

Banned
Tonight is the final season premiere of Drop Dead Diva aka Large Lady Lawyer.

Drop Dead, Diva! Which is also the name of my spy show about a overweight, fashion conscious assassin.

Doll & Em is a charming, peculiarly British show that reminded me a little bit of Extras. The negative reviews are right to mention that it feels pretty "flimsy" though. Definitely a show for passive watching.

Seemed more than a little self-indulgent from what I watched. But then the title is a dead giveaway there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Surviving Jack - Fox - 8:30/7:30c

Reviews:

LA Times - TV review: Dad's in charge in the funny, smart 'Surviving Jack'

Surviving Jack is terrific. Funny and smart, poignant and believable, it is undoubtedly the best new comedy of the season.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - TV review: 'Surviving Jack' on Fox

Surviving Jack allows for a smidgen of heartfelt earnestness now and again, but it’s less heartwarming than the steadily-improving “The Goldbergs” because at heart Surviving Jack is the one-joke premise of its title: My dad’s a jerk.

NY Daily News - 'Surviving Jack': TV review

Surviving Jack serves up the latest exasperating parent whose outrageous behavior doesn’t add up to a decent sitcom.

beat

Watched episode 10 of "Spun Out" now, mostly out of morbid curiosity. It's still freaking horrible. And I think it's killing Dave Foley too, cause he's less funny here than he was in the pilot.

Wow, they Maris'ed (Vera'd?) a main character's husband. He's the fulcrum of the A-plot and he's either offscreen or hidden behind a giant trophy. I wish I had the still energy to hate watch shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Friends with Better Lives - CBS - 9/8c

The University of Sing Sing - HBO

Reviews:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - TV review: 'Friends with Better Lives'

It’s amiably crude and fairly funny, too, but the show will leave some viewers clutching their pearls with jokes tied to masturbation, testicles, defecation, the scent of private parts and oral sex--all in its first episode.

Boston Herald - ‘Friends’ in low places - Crude humor sinks ‘Better Lives’

If you like your comedy slathered in crude, this sitcom is catnip. Everyone else will wonder if CBS stopped making shows with recognizable human beings when “Everybody Loves Raymond” went off the air.

USA Today - 'Friends With Better Lives' couldn't get much worse

Friends With Better Lives is just one witless, thudding, sex-obsessed crack after another.

Vert boil

Friends with better life would have been better with fun fact pop ups.

Fun Fact! The crew had a competition to see who could fit the most oranges in the bowl! #FWBL

Fun Fact! Zoe Lister Jones is "ACTING"! #FWBL

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Friends with Better Lives was pretty bad all the way through; dead line reading, uninteresting and very conventional relationships ("is our marriage getting boring now that we have a kid", "you married a bitch", "the marriage is over and one person didn't realize it", "we just met and now we're getting married"--like, was this improvised by pulling sitcom scenarios out of a hat?), nothing is very funny, the set is drab which I think they realize because either the set or colour grading is totally different in the next episode preview.

So, HBO is True Blood and The Leftovers for the summer and Boardwalk Empire and The Newsroom in the fall.

4 dramas, 3 of those are last seasons. Going to be interesting times ahead for HBO's schedule.

edit: So, will Veep air episodes 9 and 10 on Sunday the 8th to finish the week before GoT does?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I haven't claimed Halt & Catch Fire or The Leftovers. For the summer, I'm doing threads for:

Wilfred
The Killing
Hell on Wheels
The Knick

Maybe Starz' Power or Outlander if anaron decides not to do it (I'm pretty sure he is though).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Silicon Valley was extremely well cast--especially the lead who is the perfect blend of intelligent, socially goofy and anxious, inarticulate, and friendly--and had an interesting world (lots of cool background stuff that they don't call too much attention to), but the actual minute to minute writing wasn't as interesting as most of Judge's other socially conscious work. I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll grow.

I'm a huge Judge fan. I love Beavis and Butthead, love King of the Hill, Office Space is a top ten of all time film for me, I love Idiocracy. Really bright guy, and looking forward to his input. I'm also a huge fan of the concept. One of my favourite writers, Douglas Coupland who is best known for Generation X wrote took books with a very similar concept: Microserfs, which dealt with the mid-90s tech culture, and jPod which dealt with the mid-00s tech culture. Really enjoy both. jPod got adapted into a decent but not great Canadian TV series that lasted one season. Looking forward to seeing if this will last a little longer and really generate significant insight.

Definitely a better execution than Betas.

Vert boil

Dinner With Friends With Brett Gelman will air April 24th.

Bj1BUkZCcAATCLE-520x220.jpg

Adult Swim is set to premiere a new TV special later this month from Brett Gelman and Jason Woliner (Eagleheart), Splitsider has learned. Called Dinner With Friends With Brett Gelman and Friends, the 30-minute special will air Thursday, April 24th, at midnight. Written by Gelman and Woliner and was directed by Woliner, the special stars Gelman as himself, inviting his Hollywood friends over for a lively night of dining, tasty showbiz chit-chat, and psychological torture.
http://splitsider.com/2014/04/brett-gelman-has-a-new-adult-swim-special-premiering-april-24th/

gelmania2wicrt.gif

- Deadline: Starz Sets Premiere Date For Drama ‘Power’, Releases Key Art, Theme Song By 50 Cent
Starz’s new original series Power will debut on Saturday, June 7, at 9 PM. The pay cable network made the announcement in conjunction with the release of Big Rich Town, a new music video by Power executive producer Curtis ‘50 Cent’ Jackson. The single was created specifically for the show and will serve as the main title theme. It features never before seen footage from the New York based crime drama from writer Courtney Kemp Agboh, which is set in two different worlds, the glamorous New York club scene and the brutal drug trade. “For me the musical component of Power is so important,” Jackson said. “I wanted to let the music speak to the viewers as they are watching the show and being able to create the theme song, Big Rich Town, was crucial as it sets the tone of the show.” Power centers on James “Ghost” St. Patrick (Omari Hardwick), the owner of an up-and-coming new nightclub in New York with plans to build an empire who also is a drug kingpin.

O3YNDtn.jpg

Panderp

I haven't claimed Halt & Catch Fire or The Leftovers. For the summer, I'm doing threads for:

Wilfred
The Killing
Hell on Wheels
The Knick

Maybe Starz' Power or Outlander if anaron decides not to do it (I'm pretty sure he is though).

I completely forgot about Wilfred up until a few days ago. I loved it but I haven't watched the past season and a half. I heard it was cancelled so I'm going to have to catch up before the final season airs. ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom