• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2014 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

- TNT Announces Premiere Dates for 'Falling Skies' Season 4 and New Series 'The Last Ship' & 'Legends'
TNT's summer action series will kick off Sunday, June 22, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT) with the premiere of The Last Ship, from executive producer Michael Bay (Transformers). Eric Dane (Grey's Anatomy) and Rhona Mitra (Strike Back) star in the series about a Navy vessel that may be humanity's last hope in the wake of a worldwide catastrophe.

The fourth season premiere of Falling Skies, from Amblin Television and executive producer Steven Spielberg, will follow The Last Ship at 10 p.m. (ET/PT). Noah Wyle stars in the highly rated drama about the struggle against a deadly force of alien invaders.

In August, the action will intensify even more as TNT premieres the new drama Legends, from Homeland executive producers Howard Gordon and Alexander Cary and Fringe co-executive producer David Wilcox. Set to premiere Wednesday, Aug. 20, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT), Legends stars Sean Bean (Game of Thrones, The Lord of the Rings) as a deep-undercover FBI agent who may be losing his grip on reality.
Signing up to do The Last Ship OT.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

A special preview of Believe on NBC at 10/9c

Reviews:

Newsday - 'Believe' review: See it, believe it

This entire series will rise (or tumble to oblivion) on the shoulders of their characters, and on whatever chemistry they create. First impressions are that it will indeed rise.

SF Gate - 'Believe' review: Evil forces push credibility out the window

The chase scenes are great, a special-effects scene toward the end of the episode is great, but the mix of action-suspense, supernatural and schmaltz doesn't quite blend well.

Uncle Barky - NBC's Believe quickly prompts serious doubts (about how it ever got on the air)

Darkly shot and dimly plotted, the premiere episode never comes close to firming its grip. It instead plods and meanders, inviting viewers to invest elsewhere rather than buy into this poorly put-together jumble of something or other.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series - El Rey - 9/8c

24 Hours on Earth - BBC America - 9/8c

My Big Fat Geek Wedding - Syfy - 10/9c

Chrisley Knows Best - USA - 10/9c

Reviews:

TV Guide - Tuesday TV in Review: From Dusk Till Dawn

I suppose you could save time by just going back and watching the original movie (which starred George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino, who wrote the script), but if you liked that one, you'll almost certainly dig this.

THR - From Dusk Till Dawn -- The Series: TV Review

As a 40-minute expansion on the first 10 minutes of the original film, the action can seem needlessly drawn out and played for time rather than for narrative sense. But the occasionally snappy dialogue, twisted humor and cinematic direction--which are all in Rodriguez's hallmark style--bode well for the rest of the series.

SFGate - 'From Dusk Till Dawn' review: Inclusive, but script lacks bite

Although the script isn't quite as memorable as Tarantino's film script, it is faithful to the events of the film as well as the signature mix of over-the-top violence, cartoonish dialogue and just a hint, so far, of the vampires who will form a welcoming party when the brothers get across the border to Mexico.

Linius

Just saw the pilot for Resurrection, liked it alright. Is there a thread up for it yet? Search didn't bring up anything for me.

I still need to watch the original (The Returned) though. Might watch it after now I've started Resurrection. I did it the same way with The Bridge and Bron/Broen last year :p

ganon

Just saw the pilot for Resurrection, liked it alright. Is there a thread up for it yet? Search didn't bring up anything for me.

I still need to watch the original (The Returned) though. Might watch it after now I've started Resurrection. I did it the same way with The Bridge and Bron/Broen last year :p

Resurrection is not the remake of The Returned (Les Revenants).

Linius

Resurrection is not the remake of The Returned (Les Revenants).

Oh, I was under the assumption it was the American version. Oh well, then it's just very unfortunate timing I guess. It's basically the same premise.

EDIT

Seems there's also an actual remake coming going by the name "They Came Back". So we have an ABC series which is based on a book called The Returned. We have the French series Les Revenants (The Returned) which is based on a 2004 film also called Les Revenants. And an American remake of that called They Came Back wil be coming our way as well. Well that's not confusing at all.

EDIT 2

The source for that Engish language remake is from early 2013 I see now, could very well be that project isn't alive anymore since I can't find much else on it.

ganon

Oh, I was under the assumption it was the American version. Oh well, then it's just very unfortunate timing I guess. It's basically the same premise.

EDIT

Seems there's also an actual remake coming going by the name "They Came Back". So we have an ABC series which is based on a book called The Returned. We have the French series Les Revenants (The Returned) which is based on a 2004 film also called Les Revenants. And an American remake of that called They Came Back wil be coming our way as well. Well that's not confusing at all.

EDIT 2

The source for that Engish language remake is from early 2013 I see now, could very well be that project isn't alive anymore since I can't find much else on it.

Yup, not confusing at all. Lol.

beat

Hey, if you haven't started Broad City yet, catch up as soon as you can. It's the best new sitcom this year.

Linius

Hmm,now this show forces me to catch up soon. Still somewhere in the second season :p

Hey, if you haven't started Broad City yet, catch up as soon as you can. It's the best new sitcom this year.

I dropped it after a few eps. It's not terrible but with so much shows to watch that are more entertaining to me it was an easy choice. Maybe I'll binge it some weekend when the season is done. That dentist boyfriend was a good character.

Saty

The Red Road is a mess. Don't bother. I can't tell what the show is supposed to be but what's worse, i don't think the show itself knows what it wants to be. Whatever it is, it's not made\executed in a notable manner.

Can't decide what's weakest: the mother with a mental illness or the same ole' disobedient daughter storyline with a sketchy BF and their relationship that is done in an annoying and unlikable way.

TheOddOne

I've heard nothing but negativity. Better invest your time in a Resurrection OT I'd say :p
I kind of liked it. The girl carried the show for me.

I really did not like Resurrection on the other hand, it was not super bad but just did not hold my interest (and I usually stick around for a lot stuff).

Linius

I kind of liked it. The girl carried the show for me.

I really did not like Resurrection on the other hand, it was not super bad but just did not hold my interest (and I usually stick around for a lot stuff).

Haven't seen it myself. Don't have the time to watch it either at the moment. Just make me a Resurrection thread already :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Crisis - NBC - 10/9c

Reviews:

Philly.com - NBC's 'Crisis': Over the top but under control

Crisis takes kids in jeopardy, class conflict and adolescent (and national) insecurity and stirs them into a surprisingly effective thriller.

AV Club - Crisis is too good to be bad and too bad to be good

It’s gloriously stupid, but not always aware that’s what it’s doing, which leaves it in a messy middle ground--too bad to be good, too good to be bad.

Washington Post - NBC’s ‘Crisis’: Held hostage, with unreasonable demands

You don’t have to take Crisis too seriously; it will happily do that for you, spreading its pompous misery evenly among a cast large enough to fill at least three or four mediocre TV shows, if you count all the teenagers.

Anyone watch Resurrection? I liked it, looking forward to the next episode.

I watched it. Reveal at the end made me tear up a bit.

Definitely going to follow along. Hope it keeps the quality of the pilot episode (unlike Sleepy Hollow and the Following).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Dancing with the Stars - ABC - 8/7c

Paycheck to Paycheck: The Life & Times of Katrina Gilbert - HBO - 9/8c

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The greenscreen usage in Crisis is absolutely atrocious.

I personally feel like chromakey and virtual set usage has gotten much worse over the last few years. I don't know if it's that I'm getting better at spotting it, it's getting used more, or budgets for effects are declining, or all three... but it's pretty dire a lot of the time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

The 100 - The CW - 9/8c

Doll & Em - HBO - 10/9c

Reviews:

Washington Post - The 100 - TV Review

A refreshingly taut and well-executed futuristic sci-fi series about a group of 100 jailed juvenile delinquents who are banished from an orbiting space-station colony and sent to live on Earth--97 years after a nuclear apocalypse.

People Weekly - Print

The 100 is imaginative, surprising and fun--Lost for kids.

NY Post - CW’s ‘The 100′ feels disappointingly familar

I just can’t shake the feeling that I’ve seen it all before--and that The 100 is another piece of The CW’s generic series puzzle.

Philly.com - Doll & Em

It's hardly required viewing, but it's enjoyable, light fun.

Wall Street Journal - Doll & Em - TV Review

Despite some funny and even pungent moments, in fact, Doll & Em is so gentle that you can barely feel anything.

NY Daily News - TV Review - Doll & Em

The latest British girlfriends comedy is anything but absolutely fabulous. Sadly, it’s a bit tedious.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doll & Em is a charming, peculiarly British show that reminded me a little bit of Extras. The negative reviews are right to mention that it feels pretty "flimsy" though. Definitely a show for passive watching.

beat

Greenwald's evaluation of Mixology is spot-on.

I will say I caught half of the fourth ep by accident, after skipping the third entirely, and it feels like the writers hate the characters less now. Faint praise, I guess, but it is kinda positive creative momentum.

Still:
Mixology is the type of series that ticks all the boxes creatively challenged executives want in a comedy: young, sexy, edgy. Of course, ABC already had a show like that in Happy Endings, a brilliant series that came with a few other adjectives of its own, words Lee would do well to remember like "clever," "smart," "likable," and "funny." Mixology is the show that happens when you empower people who think Axe Body Spray commercials are documentaries.

He's also right about Broad City: "This show was funny when it premiered. It's close to unmissable now."

This may be hyperbolic, but in a way it's almost as much of a crime against TV that Broad City only has a 10 ep first season order and a 10 ep second season order as it was that Mixology was greenlit at all. Broad City has been remarkably funny and self-assured its entire first season, in a way where even other sitcom greats have been shaky their first seasons. Comedy Central as a whole has really stepped it up recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom