• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? ~ 2013 Edition ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
First half of both.

Lucky! The trailer for Ray Donovan didn't do much for me, so I can't say I'm surprised to hear that it's mediocre. Is there a lot of action? Sex? Scheming? Is it a serial, or more of a "fix" of the week type thing?

I've always been more excited for Masters of Sex (dat Caplan <3) so I'm happy to hear that it's the better of the two.

I'll be watching True Blood, Family Tree, The Bridge, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Wilfred, Dexter, Ray Donovan (on a very short leash, trailer looks bad not surprised that Ivy says it is), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I'll also be hate watching The Newsroom. Fuck you, Will McAvoy.

Anyone going to check out Family Tree on HBO? That starts up on Sunday. I'm still on the fence, though I suppose I'll check out at least the premiere. Doesn't really seem like my kind of thing, though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone going to check out Family Tree on HBO? That starts up on Sunday. I'm still on the fence, though I suppose I'll check out at least the premiere. Doesn't really seem like my kind of thing, though.

Same here. The trailer didn't do anything for me, but I always watch whatever HBO does, so I'll be there!

awm8604

Banned
May
Sunday, 26
Arrested Development - Netflix

June
Thursday, 6
Burn Notice - USA - 9/8c

Sunday, 16
True Blood - HBO - 9/8c (Maybe, still have last seasons finale unwatched. Kind of sour on the show at this point)

Wednesday, 26
Big Brother - CBS - 9/8c

July
Tuesday, 16
Whose Line Is It Anyway? - The CW - 8/7c & 8:30/7:30c

August
Sunday, 11
Breaking Bad - AMC - 9/8c - Final season (Can't wait!)

ElRenoRaven

So I just found out about Family Tools on ABC. I can't stop laughing my ass off at this show. If anyone hasn't given it a chance do so.

farisr

Rookie Blue
Arrested Development (if I actually end up liking the series enough, currently half-way through the first season)
Burn Notice
Dexter
Whose Line Is It Anyway
Covert Affairs (low priority, usually end up using this as a filler if I have nothing else to watch or don't feel like watching the other shows)
Breaking Bad
Legend Of Korra

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Family Tree on HBO at 10:30/9:30c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Christopher Guest turns slightly sincere with HBO's 'Family Tree'

It invites you to laugh at all these kooks in a way that doesn’t feel mean-spirited, and it takes parts of its hero’s journey quite seriously. There are sequences where Tom is learning something about a long-dead relative that are completely sincere in their interest in old-time theater or the ’48 “Austerity Games.” And then there are sequences where one of Tom’s long-lost relatives invites him to castrate a lamb or Monkey is behaving very inappropriately at a Greek wedding.

AV Club - Family Tree

For viewers who’ve followed the careers of the names above its title, Family Tree is an “It’s about damn time” proposition. Christopher Guest has been overdo to show his TV successors how the faux-documentary is truly done; O’Dowd and Conti, having garnered critical and commercial success in their native U.K., have been building up to this kind of breakthrough moment in the States. But patience is the virtue preached by Waiting For Guffman, Best In Show, and A Mighty Wind, and the reward for standing by for Family Tree, as in those films, is a steady stream of well-observed laughs and warm commentary on the human condition. If this is what comes from waiting for Guest, it’ll soothe the anxiety of holding for a second season.

Tim Goodman - Family Tree

Christopher Guest brings his improvised mockumentary style to television with hilarious results.

Poniewozik - Family Tree

Over the first four episodes, Family Tree doesn’t have the gut-busting, excruciatingly funny moments of Guest’s movies—no Stonehenge here—but it adds a warmth to the usual pathos of his characters, and O’Dowd’s hangdog charm is a good match for the story.

smr00

Banned
Longmire
Covert Affairs
Suits
Rookie Blue
Burn Notice
Graceland
The Killing
Falling Skies
Dexter
Breaking Bad

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone else watch Family Tree on HBO? I thought it was okay. I found the first two thirds to be pretty bland and not very funny, minus the monkey puppet which I liked, but I thought it improved in the last third. The gag with the photo book at the end was pretty amusing.

I don't necessarily understand why the main guy was so fixated on that picture though. I think they could have done a better job at establishing his motivation for wanting to delve into his family history.

Anyone else watch Family Tree on HBO? I thought it was okay. I found the first two thirds to be pretty bland and not very funny, minus the monkey puppet which I liked, but I thought it improved in the last third. The gag with the photo book at the end was pretty amusing.

I don't necessarily understand why the main guy was so fixated on that picture though. I think they could have done a better job at establishing his motivation for wanting to delve into his family history.

I quite enjoyed it. I like that very subtle and dry British humor, the monkey was awesome.

I thought it was just okay too. It was pretty slow going so I'll be interested to see how it develops in the next few weeks.

ivysaur12

Banned
My favorite NBC comedy pilot from this past season, Save Me, premieres in a burn off fashion tonight. Watch it. It's good and Anne Heche is great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering/returning today:

Does Someone Have To Go on Fox at 8/7c

Save Me on NBC at 8/7c

Motive on ABC at 9/8c

Hell's Kitchen on Fox at 9/8c

Showville on AMC at 9/8c

Rookie Blue on ABC at 10/9c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Motive

It's no mystery why ABC likes these Canadian imports: they're dirt cheap and tend to pull ratings that more than justify the cost, and help keep the lights on in the summer. But the idea behind this one is vastly more interesting than what's done with it.

Save Me

It's an unpleasant series full of hostile caricatures in need of fixing by Beth's heaven-sent advice. And though the gimmick is supposed to be that you can't tell if Beth is crazy or genuinely conversing with the Almighty, there's a gag in the pilot that gives up the game at a much too early point.

If it wasn't for Heche, it would be entirely unwatchable.

AV Club - Motive

There is nothing disastrous about Motive, a generally well made series that fits fairly well with ABC’s stable of crime procedurals (including veteran Castle and the now departed Body of Proof); there also isn’t anything that differentiates the show from every other procedural on television once you get past its flashy but ultimately debilitating premise, and the upside of sticking around to see if it evolves is too much of a mystery in these opening episodes.

Save Me

A cable comedy would have given all of this room to breathe. NBC’s approach is to sit right next to you on the couch and loudly keep screaming at you about how much fun you’re having, and how funny this all is, and how you must be laughing, because isn’t it hilarious?

While it’s tempting to be hard on Save Me, there are good elements here. Shepherd comes up with some good lines, particularly in the scenes featuring Heche and Davenport. Heche is a woman who’s been looking for the right TV vehicle for a while, and for at least the first half of this pilot, she holds the whole thing together through sheer force of acting will. (There are whole scenes that feel as if no one in them is behaving as a normal human being, and Heche simply attacks them with a manic energy that suggests she’s simply going to grit her teeth and make the best of this, like she’s in a bad summer stock production of The Music Man.) The rest of the cast is also very good, right down to the wonderful Joy Osmanski, stuck in a nothing part.

Does Someone Have to Go?

Someone is not fun. It’s stupid. It’s mean. It doesn’t make an ounce of sense. It doesn’t even deliver a reasonable execution of its horrific premise. But it does answer its titular question: Yes, someone has to go.

Poniewozik - Does Someone Have to Go?

The premise for an awful reality show and the premise for an excellent reality show are one and the same. A strong reality premise—strand people on an island, race around the world—is what gets your attention. But what makes it mean-spirited or good-hearted, excruciating or delightful, sleazy or gratifying, is the execution.

All of this is to say that, despite its premise, I went into Does Someone Have to Go?—Fox’s new reality show in which coworkers select some of their number for possible firing—assuming that it might not be as bad as you would think.

As it turns out, Does Someone Have to Go? is exactly bad as you would think.

Arrested Development
True Blood
Wilfred
Behind the Candelabra
Family Tree
Maron
Suits
Legend of Korra
American Baking
Graceland
Under the Dome

Bolded is really the only one I care about. True Blood is my secret shame. I am a sucker for Graceland type shows as well. Wilfred is my favorite show on tv though, can't say enough about it.

Vert boil

Watch the first two episodes of Save Me. It probably isn't a good sign when the best thing about the episodes was,

ff6q5jf5.gif

Almost spat out a mouthful of coffee.

The religious aspect was a big turn off for me but the show wasn't bad, just a bit ehh. I might watch a few more episodes if nothing else shows up.

TripOpt55

I watched Save Me as well. It was pretty good but felt a little... I don't know the word... Loud? Like it was going for a "big funny" kind of thing. Not like a subtle thing. I'd watch more though.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I also watched the first two episodes of Save Me.

I think the concept is really interesting and it has a lot of potential, but I think that it'd better suited for a premium channel like Showtime. Tonally, I feel like it needs to be something more along the lines of United States of Tara - a wickedly funny dramedy that isn't afraid to explore the darker side of her condition and at the same time maybe take the religious themes a bit more seriously. What I got instead was a very shrill, and as TripOpt put it, "big funny" network comedy with overbearing, awful wacky sitcom stock music and some grating characters. Also, everything happens much too quickly. The set up, the reactions, the resolutions - all of those things happen in the span of about 15 seconds. Nothing is given time to breathe; everything feels rushed.

It wasn't all bad though: I like Anne Heche and I did chuckle a few times. I'll stick with it, as per my M.O., plus I'm really curious to see what the new showrunner/writers brought to the table in later episodes.

Also, were the neighbor couple (the Dennings, was it?) in the pilot talking about pegging? I couldn't quite get the gist of what they were referring to.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

iiIZrMNIxvCPQ.gif
on Netflix

Behind the Candleabra on HBO at 9/8c

Reviews:

Sepinwall - Behind the Candleabra

In terms of subject matter and cast, "Behind the Candelabra" isn't that big a departure from what HBO's been doing of late. The execution is just vastly better. This doesn't feel like a factory product [like the last few HBO films did], but a work of individual, beautiful craftsmanship. If the movie dominates awards talk as much as I expect it to, I hope its success will convince HBO to both lighten the reins on its filmmakers and also seek out top people like Soderbergh and ask if they have a passion project no one else will make.

It's rare that I hate an HBO movie, but it's been a long time since I loved one. Until now.

AV Club - Behind the Candleabra

This is purportedly Soderbergh’s final film (for at least a little while), which makes it all the stranger that it’s debuting on HBO, instead of in cinemas. (There’s certainly more than enough here to make for a feast of a film.) If, indeed, Soderbergh stays away for several years following this film, he chose a good one to go out on.

LA Times - Behind the Candleabra

"Behind the Candelabra" is not the story of Liberace's life. Soderbergh is clearly captivated, as are we all, by the rot underlying the glitz, but even with Douglas' nuanced performance, the film simplifies too many things.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I forgot to post what shows I'm going to be watching!

Family Tree, The Fall, Save Me, Arrested Development, Behind the Candleabra, The Killing, Magic City, True Blood, Wilfred, Copper, Ray Donovan, The Bridge, Orange is the New Black, The Newsroom, Hell on Wheels, The White Queen, Breaking Bad, Low Winter Sun, Legend of Korra, Skins Redux, Strike Back.

Maybe: Maron, Prisoners of War, Graceland, Sinbad, Under the Dome.

That's a lot of TV :O.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Goodwin Games: The pilot is a little awkward and there's maybe too much setup; none of the leads really hold the show on their own (I continue to think that TJ Miller is a strong utility player, but like Jon Heder a little of him goes a long way). Elijah's baffling presence added a level of surreality to the show. The "father's pre-recorded video predicts what the kids are going to say and do" gag was funny at first but I don't think holds up in subsequent gags. I hope the premise's inherent versatility is lived up to, and they don't have the same dumb "lol we're a family we gotta stick together, each of us is special in our own way" moral with every episode. TJ Miller's character's kid is really adorable and I'd say the strong point of the show could definitely be his maturation into a father. I think this is definitely a show that could have been developed and salvaged into a working, ongoing show. Pity that they're burning it off.

Save Me: I expected more. In part because Heche is a good actress, and in part because the preview made this feel more intellectual than the resulting product is. One thing that doesn't work right off the bat is that if Heche is going to be literally performing miraculous acts of vengeance each episode, then no one could possibly doubt that she is convening with God; like Evan Almighty, the premise that no character believes her only works if there's reason to doubt her based on the actual character interactions we see. The kid daughter is a shrew, no idea what they were hoping with that characterization. It's weird to me that the husband's affair was resolved by the end of the first episode. I felt tons of tonal inconsistency between the first and the second episode. Referring to God as "he/she" is a pretty stupid bleating--I know they want to simultaneously stress that this is a non-sectarian conception of God and make Heche seem like a hippy affluent yoga liberal, but I found it very conspicuous. Also I found it a little rude or aggressive. Stuff was a little too broad and telegraphed and it comes together as a much less smart or cutting work than I thought it could have. Michael Landes reminds me of Adrian Pasdar to the point of distraction. Time probably could have made it into a better show, but I think this is one of the bigger misfires I've seen. Maybe a case of inflated expectations on my part.

Arrested Development S4 E1-4: The humour and acting is exactly as good as it's ever been. The writing is still delightfully smart. I'm not going to say anything about jumping the shark, quality downhill, people don't got it anymore. A lot of the new plot elements and some of the social commentary of the 2008 bubble burst and new technology stuff is great. This is very much Arrested Development. Having said that, I've noticed a few things. The production values are terrible -- awful chromakey (actually some of the worst I've ever seen in a professional series, I have no idea what happened here), terrible sound mix (poor ADR, over-scored, score mixed too high), weak sets, some bizarre camera choices (James Lipton walking towards the camera in episode two or three is one of the single worst camera shots I've ever seen--he looks like a dwarf, his clothes don't fit well, the shot lasts entirely too long, it's shot at a weird angle, what the hell). The editing is not tight at all, each of the four episodes I've seen so far could be shortened 4-5 minutes without losing anything and almost every individual gag is slowed down significantly from S1-S3. The reliance on guest stars to fill the gaps because the family members are separated is definitely unfortunate, I thought the original seasons worked well in part because the family was the core of the show and the guest stars were typically sparing. There's a bunch of stuntcasted stuff that feels superfluous. Exception: Kristen Wiig and Seth Rogen as the young Bluths are well-cast. So what I'd say so far is that I have extreme confidence that the people working on this show have the capacity to produce more Arrested Development without a quality decline, but that very obvious constraints on this season have contributed to it not working as well as it could have so far. Opinion subject to change when I've seen the rest of the season.

By the way, I never do this but... does anyone have any recommendations for TV shows to watch? Did Magic City end up being any good? Longmire? Justified? Luther? Falling Skies? Merlin (wasn't this cancelled?)? Among period pieces -- Downton Abbey? Call the Midwife? Ripper Street? Spies of Warsaw? How many of these are good? Keep in mind the kind of person I am. I like stuff that is emotional, existential, among dramas I like it when the tension comes from slow build, deep character study, intellect. I like economy, like the way stage plays or something like 12 Angry Men does so much with so little. I like politics. I like some melodrama but not generally soapy stuff. I like shows about criminals and crime, not so much about cops. I only like period pieces when something other than the period is doing the driving. I don't tend to like procedural case-of-the-week stuff. I have access to all Canadian and US services. I watch a whole lot of everything so please don't recommend Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, or stuff that I very obviously have already watched.

By the way, I never do this but... does anyone have any recommendations for TV shows to watch? Did Magic City end up being any good? Longmire? Justified? Luther? Falling Skies? Merlin (wasn't this cancelled?)? Among period pieces -- Downton Abbey? Call the Midwife? Ripper Street? Spies of Warsaw? How many of these are good? Keep in mind the kind of person I am. I like stuff that is emotional, existential, among dramas I like it when the tension comes from slow build, deep character study, intellect. I like economy, like the way stage plays or something like 12 Angry Men does so much with so little. I like politics. I like some melodrama but not generally soapy stuff. I like shows about criminals and crime, not so much about cops. I only like period pieces when something other than the period is doing the driving. I don't tend to like procedural case-of-the-week stuff. I have access to all Canadian and US services. I watch a whole lot of everything so please don't recommend Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, or stuff that I very obviously have already watched.
Justified is legitimately great. Takes a while to get going in S1, but it's gangbusters after that. Orphan Black has put together a very good freshman season (finale is next week) and is worth it for the acting by the lead alone. Luther is entertaining and there isn't much of it to watch, so you can burn through it pretty quickly. It's kind of pulpy mess at times, but Idris Elba and the cast of British regulars are great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Save Me: I expected more. in part because the preview made this feel more intellectual than the resulting product is.

When I first watched the trailer for Save Me (back at last year's upfronts, was it?) I got some strong 'Enlightened' vibes. The trailer definitely made the show seem like something it wasn't.

Michael Landes reminds me of Adrian Pasdar to the point of distraction.

I thought that too. I had to pause the episode I was watching to check and see if they were related.

By the way, I never do this but... does anyone have any recommendations for TV shows to watch? Did Magic City end up being any good? Justified?

Magic City is just okay. It's been a while since I've seen it, so I can't really muster up any detailed thoughts, but it came away as a sort of Mad Men wannabe with mob elements and lots and lots of gratuitous nudity. Not very intellectual or emotional or well written, though it seemed like it was improving towards the latter half of the season. Even though it aired only a year ago, I have a hard time remembering much about it. EDIT: Here's a post I made just prior to watching the season finale last year. I seemed to be higher on it then than I am now.

Justified is great. Watch it.

I'd also recommend Orphan Black on BBC America. It's a highly entertaining conspiracy thriller with lots of twists and turns and some very good actors, namely the lead Tatiana Maslany, who often has to play multiple characters in the same episode. It's got some smart writing, it's very self aware, and has so far managed to avoid many of the pitfalls other genre shows have fallen into.

The Borgias might fall into that last category you mentioned, but it's not anywhere near as popular as Mad Men, Game of Thrones, etc. so it's possible that you missed it. It's quite good.

Wes

venison crêpe
If no one has said they're doing the OT for The White Queen yet I'd like to do it. I'm waiting for the standard two week notice by the BBC for an air date first.

Macka

Dexter, Breaking Bad and hopefully Legend of Korra isn't that far off.

I should probably get around to watching Suits as well.

ivysaur12

Banned
Save Me: I expected more. In part because Heche is a good actress, and in part because the preview made this feel more intellectual than the resulting product is. One thing that doesn't work right off the bat is that if Heche is going to be literally performing miraculous acts of vengeance each episode, then no one could possibly doubt that she is convening with God; like Evan Almighty, the premise that no character believes her only works if there's reason to doubt her based on the actual character interactions we see. The kid daughter is a shrew, no idea what they were hoping with that characterization. It's weird to me that the husband's affair was resolved by the end of the first episode. I felt tons of tonal inconsistency between the first and the second episode. Referring to God as "he/she" is a pretty stupid bleating--I know they want to simultaneously stress that this is a non-sectarian conception of God and make Heche seem like a hippy affluent yoga liberal, but I found it very conspicuous. Also I found it a little rude or aggressive. Stuff was a little too broad and telegraphed and it comes together as a much less smart or cutting work than I thought it could have. Michael Landes reminds me of Adrian Pasdar to the point of distraction. Time probably could have made it into a better show, but I think this is one of the bigger misfires I've seen. Maybe a case of inflated expectations on my part.

Really? I think there's plenty of reason to doubt Heche's character's sanity and is one of the more fun aspects of the series. But, to each his own. I thought it was a cute show that showed a lot more potential than most NBC comedies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Really? I think there's plenty of reason to doubt Heche's character's sanity and is one of the more fun aspects of the series. But, to each his own. I thought it was a cute show that showed a lot more potential than most NBC comedies.

Well we're two episodes in and she deduced her daughter's secret relationship, hit her romantic rival with lightning, fired off two sets of god pyrotechnics at her kid's friends, figured out the exact amount of time since her friend gave her husband a blowy, sang a gospel hymn that she's literally never heard before word-for-word, and knocked out the power to the entire neighborhood. So she's running pretty high on the "wow, this isn't really a coincidence anymore" level-o-tron. I guess they haven't had a scene where she predicts what number her husband is thinking of between one and a thousand.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Premiering today:

Sinbad - Syfy - 9/8c

Primeval: New World - Syfy - 10/9c

Reviews:

AV Club - Sinbad & Primeval: New World

Primeval: New World has a built-in audience since it's a spin-off of the popular British-Canadian dino-hunting drama. But it's already dead in the water, having already been cancelled after its first season got poor ratings on Canada's Space Channel. It's not difficult to see why after watching "The New World," a lackluster series premiere that fails to do more than cursorily set up the show's players.

Like Primeval: New World, Sinbad was also co-produced by Impossible Pictures. And while it was also cancelled already after one season on England's Sky cable network, Sinbad is easily the more immediately compelling of the two shows debuting tonight on SyFy Channel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When I think Sinbad, I think the mid-90s Canadian series "The Adventures of Sinbad" which was produced as a sort of pseudo-companion piece to Hercules and Xena.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom