• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? ~ 2013 Edition ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripOpt55

I finished up watching The Goodwin Games and thought it was a fun little comedy. Not anything amazing but a show I enjoyed sitting down for each week.

Vert boil

I've let this thread fall to the wayside. :(

punch3wcjje.gif

;)

It's okay. This season has been pretty poor so far.

TheOddOne

Camp is getting some bad reviews. Might just watch the pilot because of the dude that was in the low-rent made-for-web Halo series.

Bardiche

Just saw the previews for Axe Cop and High School USA!. Judging by the reviews, people see potential in Axe Cop, or at least see a cult fan base developing. When it comes to High School USA!, reviewers are not impressed. I actually enjoyed High School USA!. I'll definitely be following these two shows as time progresses.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
And no one will be able to do a camp show for another decade :-/

Well, what shows have covered that ground in the past?

Huge - failed, one season
Disney's Camp Rock - tv-movie, smash hit
Camp Lazlo - cartoon, moderate success
Salute Your Shorts - moderate success maybe?

That's... about all I can think of in my lifetime in terms of scripted programming. Up here we had a long-running syndicated kid's activity show called Camp Cariboo that did well.

... and then you could maybe argue stuff like Breaker High and The Suite Life on Deck which aren't camp shows but hit some of the same themes.

Additions:
The TV DB adds Camp Lakebottom, airing in 2013 on Teletoon [Canadian Cartoon Network, basically] which is animated.
My TV Encyclopedia adds Camp Runamuck, 1965-1966 (obviously not in my lifetime)
Steve Youngblood suggests Camp Candy, 1989-1992 animated

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So yeah, the Transporter series that Cinemax was supposed to air isn't going to anymore. It already aired in Europe several months ago, so you can probably find the DVDs online if you wanted to watch it.

I've been watching Siberia, which is basically the sum of some guy reading comments in Lost internet threads and going "well, what if Lost really WAS a reality TV show?".

It gets the reality TV show feel down pat, almost to an annoying degree. The internet is filled with posts proclaiming how upset people are that it is not a real reality TV show. Some even are insulted that the creators dare make a show that "insults our intelligence by making us think it is something different" (actual quote).

It's decent. It's only on episode four, but they've already introduced a BIG MONSTER IN THE WOODS, clarivoyance, and Tunguska.

Surprisingly, there is a bit of CGI, which sort of knocks you out of the "reality" of the premise.

But I like it well enough.

Since there is no thread for it, I'll complain here.

I was looking for the Sundance Channel here to watch The Writers Room tonight, Comcast doesn't have Sundance in HD (at least not here). What year is it?!

Is there a thread up for Broadchurch? I don't have time to do it, but it's reviewing well and sounds like it at least deserves a quick one.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is there a thread up for Broadchurch? I don't have time to do it, but it's reviewing well and sounds like it at least deserves a quick one.

Not as far as I know, no. I guess I could throw a thread up for it later, though I probably won't get around to watching it until after the season has ended.

Follow up of my no Sundance in HD rant: All their content is available in HD on demand, but there's not actual HD channel to watch them on.

Absurd, but at least it'll work.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Reviews of the new shows:

Maron - Not as strong or authorial as Curb or Louie. Still though, I think it has potential. B

Family Tree - Neat concept, good talent, but the result is kind of ambling. C-

The Goodwin Games - A lot of heart. The concept stretched credulity but I liked the core cast dynamic. Definitely a better show than what HIMYM is now. Pity it didn't work out for anyone. B-

Motive - Less bad than most police procedurals owing to a strong cast. I'm not sure the ballyhooed premise of showing how the crime happened really adds much to the mix, but I think this is very watchable. B-

Save Me - The tone really didn't work for me, this was an enormous disappointment. C-

Arrested Development (Revival) - I think the writing is as good as it ever was, and the actors show up like they haven't missed a beat, but there are severe structural problems here. Every episode is 10 minutes too long, the lack of interaction between characters wrecks the cast chemistry, the audio mix is terrible, the chromakey is some of the worst I've ever seen on television; basically, I have confidence in the ability of everyone involved to make a great season of Arrested Development, but this isn't quite it. B-

Graceland - Like all USA shows, lighter than air. C

Primeval: New World - Painfully Canadian. C

King and Maxwell - No lead chemistry, poor writing, on the low end of new cop shows. C-

Under the Dome - I've spoken at length about this in the thread for the show. I think this has an engaging premise and a cast made up of at least a few people who are good actors or have the potential to be. But the writing, plotting, and pacing here are terrible, episodes make totally orthogonal leaps of logic to satisfy getting from plot beat A to plot beat B, many of the characters are written in a very shrill way, the child actors are ghastly and in some cases aren't even capable of doing coherent line readings, the product placement is the worst I've ever seen and made worse by the fact that these people are inside a dome and cut off from civilization. Massive misfire. C-

Ray Donovan - As with most Showtime shows, a slick production with a very flawed lead. Unlike most Showtime shows, not much attempt at rendering that lead sympathetic. I think there's potential for a good show here maybe in the vein of The Departed or The Black Donnellys (common threads: everyone is crooked + family ties) but I don't think it's there yet. C+

Camp - Transparently stupid and flat characters, a premise that still doesn't make sense, overall poor writing and delivery. Another reminder that Huge was a much better show. D

Orange is the New Black - A study in humanity. Sensitive to gender, racial, and socio-economic dynamics. Best when it is grounded, worse when it veers on cartoonish. Very well balanced ensemble cast and pacing that makes all characters feel valuable and integrated without confusing the viewer. Excellent casting throughout. Much has been written about this elsewhere and I wrote extensively in the show's OT, but needless to say I think this is even in its first season excellent television. A

Whose Line is it Anyway? (Revival) - Aisha Tyler is good as a host, bringing the right balance of actual sass and canned cheese. The performers generally seem on their game. The show seems a lot shorter, though. I assume the hashtags and stuntcasting of guests are designed to appeal to a younger audience, so I can't fault them for it. This could have been a disaster and it isn't, so kudos to everyone involved. B

Axe Cop - It's Axe Cop. It's very clearly not being written by a 5 year old, so in that sense it's maybe a little too wink-winky. It's too fast-moving to be bad, but it's too nonsensical (and not in an avant-garde way, just in a "wait, what just happened?" way) to be great. B-

The Writers' Room - Only caught the first episode because it's the only one I am able to stream online for free :( This is a good concept for a show and Rash is an excellent panel moderator. I watch a lot of the Paley panel programming and I'm a nut for Inside the Actor's Studio, so this made for a great companion piece. I think I would have liked to see it a little more in depth--the short runtime really hurts the ability to get into any kind of meaty or comparative discussion unfortunately. Wish this had wider availability. B+

Mistresses and Devious Maids: Mistresses was really vapid b]D[/b], Devious Maids seemed to have the mischief and sly character of Desperate Housewives down a little better. Neither are as strong as DH was from its beginning and I don't think either will really have much space to be a buzz-worthy soap. C+ How are these both airing at the same time?

Hoping to get to:
Low Winter Sun
The Bridge
The Fall
Twisted
Siberia
Moone Boy
The White Queen
... before the fall broadcast season starts.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are your reviews just based off of the pilots or did you watch every episode?

Anyway, thanks for the insight. I've been wondering how some of these shows turned out, but I didn't want to actually watch them to find out. :p

Maron: Full season
Family Tree: Pilot
Goodwin Games: Full series
Motive: First three
Save Me: Full Series
Arrested Development: Full season
Graceland: Pilot
Primeval: Pilot
King and Maxwell: Pilot
Under the Dome: Everything up until now
Ray Donovan: First 5
Camp: Pilot
OITNB: Full Season
Whose Line: 3?
Axe Cop: Pilot
Writers' Room: Pilot
Mistresses: 15 minutes
Devious Maids: Pilot

ivysaur12

Banned
I've picked up The Fall, Orange is the New Black, and The Bridge as my shows from this summer. Good crop, though there was a lot of crap.

Raxus

I need to watch Orange is the New Black.

I also need to finish Family Tree (which is great, doomed but great) and Arrested Development.

Watch The Bridge Stump!

I wish The Writer's Room wasn't a half-hour. 4 out of the 6 episodes are among my favorite currently on TV and Rash is great for this kind of thing. That said, although I enjoyed the episodes, it always kind of felt like right when they really dive into a subject they go to commercial/change topics.

42 instead of 22 minutes would've helped I think.

So the season finale of Twisted came on last night, and I will vouch for it because it is good, this isn't your normal teenage angsty ABC show, just go check it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom