• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My current schedule:

• Monday - Turn: Washington's Spies
  • Tuesday - The Flash (ending next week), The Night Manager (ending next week)
  • Wednesday - Arrow (ending next week), Nashville (ending next week), The Americans
  • Thursday - The 100 (ending this week), Legends of Tomorrow (ending this week), Archer, Orphan Black
  • Friday - Banshee (ending this week)
  • Saturday - Outlander
  • Sunday - Bob's Burgers (ending this week), Fear the Walking Dead (ending this week), Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Veep, Penny Dreadul

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
My current schedule:

• Monday - Turn: Washington's Spies
  • Tuesday - The Flash (ending next week), The Night Manager (ending next week)
  • Wednesday - Arrow (ending next week), Nashville (ending next week), The Americans
  • Thursday - The 100 (ending this week), Legends of Tomorrow (ending this week), Archer, Orphan Black
  • Friday - Banshee (ending this week)
  • Saturday - Outlander
  • Sunday - Bob's Burgers (ending this week), Fear the Walking Dead (ending this week), Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Veep, Penny Dreadul

You just made me realize how much of my current watch list is ending this week or next week. I was relieved that Fear the Walking Dead was taking a little break because Sunday is so packed...but then I realized Preacher starts this week. #TooMuchTV

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fox To Debut ‘Outcast’ Via Facebook Live In 61 European & African Markets

Fox is scaring up a new experiment with the simultaneous debut of horror series Outcast in 61 countries via Facebook Live. This is the first time a broadcaster in Europe and Africa is using the service to launch a new drama.

On May 20, at 10PM Central European Time, episode 1 of the series from creator Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead) will run on Facebook Live across the region including in the UK, Italy, Spain, Poland, South Africa, Germany, Sweden and Turkey.

The Outcast preview will be followed by regular airings beginning June 3 on Fox throughout the region.

I was planning on putting up the OT next week, but I might have to put it up early if the premiere is being released early.

Trojan X

Banned
Merged you into the Summer TV thread since that's pretty much exactly what it's for. Talk about what you're planning to watch and peruse the extensive Summer TV listings that Ratsky put together in the OP and subsequent posts.

Didn't wanted to post there for I felt that my thread is different. Nevermind.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I'll try to get the thread up later today.

Apparently, Halt and Catch Fire was moved to Tuesday, and it'll debut in August.

Interesting. It should fall on August 9 then, the week after Feed the Beast ends (unless they want to air the season 3 premiere immediately following the finale of FtB, which would mean August 2nd.) That also means that AMC will have nothing to air in their Sunday slot after Preacher ends, besides Fear the Walking Dead, which would mean the second half of that show will air a lot sooner than most expected.

Pachimari

Hmm not much new to watch but I also just came back from vacation, so I need to catch up with some shows like Gotham, Agents of Shield and The Flash, while I want to start American Crime Story.

I'm gonna check out Outcast for sure though!

[edit] I can't seem to find any trailer for Netflix's Stranger Things?

faridmon

This must be the weakest season in TV for quite Sometime. Not many interesting shows upon first look.

Some of the British ones and have already aired in UK, my impression:

1) Marcella: Not very good, The mystery is ham-fisted and the situations are derivative and plot points are just conveniently placed. Not a single character has charisma and you end up hating each and everyone of them.

2) Thirteen: Starts out very engaging and the first few episode are rather tense. The mystery of the kidnapping goes back and fourth on who is responsible, and the police are depicted rather more realistically. The family drama was engaging at first too. Too bad the development in the last 2 episode have turned the whole show into an emo and whiny show with annoying characters.

3) The A-Word: Fantastic. This show has a maturity you don't see very often and it tackles the subject of autism and disability in a rather delicate and yet charming and humorous way. Lovable characters and the Family drama is something you want to be part of.

4) Love Nina: Only watched 1 episode and it was rather charming but a bit on the dull side. The humor is rather weird with a lot of posh and high-brow humor that misses its mark more often than not, but I love the fact that the family appear to be crazy yet represent today's family in more than few ways. Also The main actress is cute. Don't know if I have any interest in watching any further though. Too twee for me, and it doesn't seem to have a larger hook further down the line.

TDLink

I still think Queen of the South looks interesting, but no one seems to be talking about it whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just hankering from a mob/cartel crime drama and there aren't really many around at the moment.

berzeli

Banned
Ahh, nearly missed that Neil Gaiman's Likely Stories is going to be on this summer, and it even starts tonight on Sky Arts! (also, sorry for letting you down Ratsky and missing to report this before you made the thread)

Trailer.

Neil Gaiman's Likely Stories: strange, wonderful, unmissable TV
Neil Gaiman's success gives me faith in the world. He's a great writer, and he's well known because of that fact. I think it springs from the particular way he has of looking at humanity, and passing along his insights to us - with wit, warmth, and not a small bath of uncomfortable self-realisation topped with the occasional cold shower of fear. If that sounds like a lot for a writer to accomplish, well, that's why he's so good, and why he should be able to make a living with his words. The fact that he does makes me feel better about us all.

The big challenge of Likely Stories, therefore, is to capture Gaiman's appeal and put it across without losing any one of those elements. I think the first two episodes do exactly that, which is no small feat. Adapted from Gaiman's short stories, Foreign Parts and Feeders And Eaters have a cohesive quality, aiming for a layered, building feeling, applying elements of humour, empathy, and horror in turn.
Two comparisons came to mind as I was watching Likely Stories. The opening credits, and the slow unveiling of the strangeness lurking within brought to mind Roald Dahl's Tales Of The Unexpected, which did a great job in the late 1970s/early 1980s of putting across the appeal of Dahl's adult twisty tales to a television audience. After that, I thought of Black Mirror in the use of music and setup. But where Black Mirror makes us reflect upon politics and society, Likely Stories makes us take a closer look at the self. These stories are about what it's like to be a mind in a body, a person within a personality. You find yourself thinking about what a weird and messy business being alive is.
The Black Mirror comparison makes it all the more appetising.

Thursday’s best TV: How Should I Vote? – The EU Debate; Neil Gaiman’s Likely Stories
Featuring Johnny Vegas and Paul Ritter, among others, this four-part series of adaptations of Gaiman’s short stories will be catnip for his fans, eagerly anticipating the TV version of his novel American Gods. Jarvis Cocker provides the perfect soundtrack to these tales, which hover between the mundane and the surreal. Tonight’s opener features George Mackay as a masturbation enthusiast who feels his penis is no longer his own.
Oh, God. I'm so, so in.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ahh, nearly missed that Neil Gaiman's Likely Stories is going to be on this summer, and it even starts tonight on Sky Arts! (also, sorry for letting you down Ratsky and missing to report this before you made the thread)

It's okay - I missed it too when I did my own research. Sounds like it could be good though!

This must be the weakest season in TV for quite Sometime. Not many interesting shows upon first look.

Some of the British ones and have already aired in UK, my impression:

1) Marcella: Not very good, The mystery is ham-fisted and the situations are derivative and plot points are just conveniently placed. Not a single character has charisma and you end up hating each and everyone of them.

Got to echo this. Such an awful show. I watched it because GF's work mates basically forced us to. Every week they kept saying how good it was and we watched it thinking it was awfully paced ham fisted drivel. It's got all the trappings of a good thriller yet lacks the execution and writing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What I'm watching this summer:

Old:

Penny Dreadful
Grace and Frankie
Bloodline
UnREAL
Hell on Wheels
Orange is the New Black
Ray Donovan
Marco Polo
Tyrant
Mr. Robot
Power
Ballers
BoJack Horseman
Looking: The Movie
Survivor's Remorse
The Strain
You’re the Worst
Blunt Talk
Halt and Catch Fire
Masters of Sex

New:

Preacher
The Dresser
Cleverman
Outcast
Feed the Beast
The Night Of
The A-Word
Vice Principals
The Get Down
Gomorrah
Atlanta

Maybe:

Flowers
Roots
The American West
Animal Kingdom
Queen of the South
Greenleaf
Roadies
Stranger Things
Six
Sneaky Pete

Platy

Can it be seen ANYWHERE outside Sky Arts ?

This series almost like it does not exist o_O

berzeli

Banned
Can it be seen ANYWHERE outside Sky Arts ?

This series almost like it does not exist o_O

Not as of right now. Hopefully the name recognition that Gaiman carries will grant it wider distribution.

Sky are quite rubbish at getting their smaller series wider distribution.

I forgot about Outcast. That's looked good.

MTV Canada doesn't seem to air Scream, else I would've checked that out last year.

Is Mr. Robot airing in Canada at the same time?

Master Chef, Ray Donovan, Penny Dreadful and Game of Thrones. Very slim lineup for me this summer when Penndy Dreadful and GoT seasons end.

berzeli

Banned
Feed the Beast mostly getting panned so far.

This bit in the Variety review killed what little interest I had:
Both “Feed the Beast” and HBO’s much more expensive “Vinyl” also assume that audiences automatically will be interested in the intersection of mobsters and creative forms of expression like cooking and music, but neither of these series found new things to say about any of those worlds. At least the similarly messy and macho HBO series had a decent soundtrack.
When something gets unfavourably compared to Vinyl, fucking Vinyl, all hope is gone. At least they didn't spend $100 million on it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can't even remember the last time I watched a good mobster storyline in a cable drama. Even a tremendous show like The Knick couldn't make it work. It's at the point where knowing a show has one starts to kill my interest.

Apt101

Not a current show but Southland showed up on Hulu and wow, it's good. If you haven't seen it I recommend it. It gets way better in season 2.

I added another new one: Stranger Things on Netflix. Winona Ryder (yay) in an 80's period piece from one of the people who created Wayward Pines. It sounds like a winner. Drops on the July 16th I believe.

number11

It's becoming way to hard to follow all these shows. The idea of spending 2-4 hours a day just to keep up to date is becoming ridiculous to me.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's becoming way to hard to follow all these shows. The idea of spending 2-4 hours a day just to keep up to date is becoming ridiculous to me.

Same. If you value your time*, you really gotta just stick with the best of the best these days. There are too many great shows out there to waste time on mediocre, or even merely "good", ones.

- Cinemax Summer 2016 Channel Promo

Interesting in that they prominently feature The Knick, Banshee, and Strike Back - two of which are definitely finished and the third is probably done, as well.

They also have a tiny snippet of footage from Quarry (around the :30 mark) and note that it airs this Fall.

Grizzlyjin

Not a current show but Southland showed up on Hulu and wow, it's good. If you haven't seen it I recommend it. It gets way better in season 2.

I've been binge watching Southland on and off for the past week. I caught the occasional episode when it aired but never got to consistently watch it. Very good show, and the seasons are 10 episodes or less so it doesn't feel like a huge commitment.

Regina King is such an underrated actress. She stands out on Southland, even among other very strong performances. She's also in S2 of The Leftovers, and the same situation. She brings her 'A' game every time.

Which reminds me, I need to start watching American Crime whenever it lands on a streaming service.

Apt101

I've been binge watching Southland on and off for the past week. I caught the occasional episode when it aired but never got to consistently watch it. Very good show, and the seasons are 10 episodes or less so it doesn't feel like a huge commitment.

Regina King is such an underrated actress. She stands out on Southland, even among other very strong performances. She's also in S2 of The Leftovers, and the same situation. She brings her 'A' game every time.

Which reminds me, I need to start watching American Crime whenever it lands on a streaming service.

Her segments have been some of the best. I'm amazed she wasn't a bigger deal in film and TV in general after watching Southland.

The only thing that bugs me about the show is the way they lionize cops at the expense of the supporting characters sometimes. I get it, they're the stars, but they often pass up on great story beats featuring vics to elevate some drug addict, asshole cop.

Still, terrific TV. I am loving it, and almost done with the series. I wish I had had access to it sooner.

chadskin

- Stranger Things (Netflix) Trailer
stranger-things-poster-full.jpg

Will definitely check this out once it hits Netflix next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom