• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so did R* release an update to fix the lag issue on the PS4?

Yes, well kind of, they supplied us with options to adjust dead zone and aim acceleration. It helps greatly with some of the game's issues with control, but some latency issues still persist.

It feels better now... I haven't tested it visually like before but, and this is partially because the game is at 30 FPS and by its nature has 'momentum intertia' in its controls (meaning, if this was 60FPS Quake 3 Arena, you'd notice a lack of responsiveness much more because the game is so much tighter), but it seems pretty good now.

The new acceleration options helps so much... a huge problem with analog sticks is that it's hard to be as precise as a KB/M, and if you slow down sensitivity to have half decent precision, then you're ability to switch target or run and gun is destroyed. But with lowered acceleration, the first half a second of movement is slowed done just a bit so it's more precise and a split half second later, it speeds up a lot to aid switching targets faster. It helps so much with letting you make small precise movements more accurately and yet still switch targets or spin the camera faster.

I turned the Deadzone down to 0, Acceleration all the way down to 2, but then turned Sensitivity to 5 (I used to keep it at 0 for more precision and just dropped combat with L2 or used R3 -> R3+L2 to 'look back' to switch targets) and also turned up TPV camera sensitivity all the way to 13. So the increased sensitivity helps keep the overall movement speed of the camera/aiming still fast (to balance the lower acceleration) but now the first half-second or so of movement is slowed slightly which lets you make feathered precise movements more easily. Which of course Deadzone to 0 helps, too.

This sort of dynamic helps so much I found last night. Just loving it... both my slow precise aiming and fast target switching were improved.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It feels better now... I haven't tested it visually like before but, and this is partially because the game is at 30 FPS and by its nature has 'momentum intertia' in its controls (meaning, if this was 60FPS Quake 3 Arena, you'd notice a lack of responsiveness much more because the game is so much tighter), but it seems pretty good now.

The new acceleration options helps so much... a huge problem with analog sticks is that it's hard to be as precise as a KB/M, and if you slow down sensitivity to have half decent precision, then you're ability to switch target or run and gun is destroyed. But with lowered acceleration, the first half a second of movement is slowed done just a bit so it's more precise and a split half second later, it speeds up a lot to aid switching targets faster. It helps so much with letting you make small precise movements more accurately and yet still switch targets or spin the camera faster.

I turned the Deadzone down to 0, Acceleration all the way down to 2, but then turned Sensitivity to 5 (I used to keep it at 0 for more precision and just dropped combat with L2 or used R3 -> R3+L2 to 'look back' to switch targets) and also turned up TPV camera sensitivity all the way to 13. So the increased sensitivity helps keep the overall movement speed of the camera/aiming still fast (to balance the lower acceleration) but now the first half-second or so of movement is slowed slightly which lets you make feathered precise movements more easily. Which of course Deadzone to 0 helps, too.

This sort of dynamic helps so much I found last night. Just loving it... both my slow precise aiming and fast target switching were improved.

Every game should have acceleration, deadzone, and sensitivity sliders. Like, every game.

So many otherwise amazing shooters, ruined on consoles by bad analog settings. No reason not to have the sliders there for people to tweak.

Nintendo games have v-sync. They don't have any input lag whatsoever. That logic is flawed.
Before you criticise someone of "flawed" logic, I recommend being informed enough to make sure you're not wrong...

There is no such thing as "input lag-free" (at least not until we get to a unnoticable ~ 3-5 ms level, which we are nowhere close)
V-Snc adds a frame of lag, no way around that. One more for frame scanout.
longlag-300x206.png
bestcase-300x221.png

(from anandtech via blurbusters)

I'm struggling with GTA's control issues. Compared to other TPS games (TR, TLOU, UC, GeoW, Infamous, etc), the controls feel way off. Even with the latest patch.

Will there be any more patches? I'm pretty much ready to write GTA V off despite not even having got past the opening heist sequence.

What the fuck is up with my right trigger not wanting to shoot in GTAO?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and believe me there is never a good time for it to stop working. We run a mission, I break out my gun and ... nuthin'. Like the safety's on. Sometimes it'll fire, but only partially, like I'll hold down the trigger and it'll wait a second, fire a shot, wait, fire a couple more, wait, wait some more, fire one shot, etc. Other times its just fine.

Only seems to be an issue with GTAO for me, and only recently.

Before you criticise someone of "flawed" logic, I recommend being informed enough to make sure you're not wrong...

There is no such thing as "input lag-free" (at least not until we get to a unnoticable ~ 3-5 ms level, which we are nowhere close)
V-Snc adds a frame of lag, no way around that. One more for frame scanout.
longlag-300x206.png
bestcase-300x221.png

(from anandtech via blurbusters)

Well obviously there's always going to be AT LEAST one frame of delay, but claiming that v-sync on its own is going to add perceivable input lag is just plain wrong. I can't feel any sort of input lag when playing Super Mario 3D World, for example, and it has v-sync. Therefore v-sync doesn't add noticeable input lag.

What the fuck is up with my right trigger not wanting to shoot in GTAO?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and believe me there is never a good time for it to stop working. We run a mission, I break out my gun and ... nuthin'. Like the safety's on. Sometimes it'll fire, but only partially, like I'll hold down the trigger and it'll wait a second, fire a shot, wait, fire a couple more, wait, wait some more, fire one shot, etc. Other times its just fine.

Only seems to be an issue with GTAO for me, and only recently.

are you holding in down fully? technically R2 is not simple Shoot... just touching or half-pressing R2 is Aim... only full-press R2 is Shoot

if it's not that, not sure. other uses for R2 (driving) are fine?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm struggling with GTA's control issues. Compared to other TPS games (TR, TLOU, UC, GeoW, Infamous, etc), the controls feel way off. Even with the latest patch.

Will there be any more patches? I'm pretty much ready to write GTA V off despite not even having got past the opening heist sequence.

It's still a super clunky game. They could do a few things to mitigate it, still... but it's a clunky game. Always will be. Next one probably will be too.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well obviously there's always going to be AT LEAST one frame of delay, but claiming that v-sync on its own is going to add perceivable input lag is just plain wrong. I can't feel any sort of input lag when playing Super Mario 3D World, for example, and it has v-sync. Therefore v-sync doesn't add noticeable input lag.
You'd notice it if 3D World had mouse controls. The lag has to be horrendous before it's obvious on a gamepad.

LCGeek

formerly sane

I always feel most delays especially on consoles or on displays, so what applies to you isn't the same for me. For the record I use a display which is in the 1-2ms range and there are people on the net who test controllers and consoles for lag all which are in the 10-40ms range. Very slight but people have measured it and it can be felt it just might not reach your threshold. regardless most slight input lag isn't going to throw your game off it's only the moderate kind that begins to create problems.

World of difference between having no actual lag and no discernable lag.

ok is it me or everytime we go bqck to the ps4 home page the loading screen pause in meantime?

i notice this the other night, anyone else know if this the case?

Ok so I just fired up GTA 5 for the first time on PS4...and R2 doesn't work. At least not reliably.

How does this get past testing? I mean R2 is kind of an important button for a game like GTA since it, you know, fires guns and accelerates vehicles.

Is there some kind of workaround for this? Or did I just buy half a game again?

Stick drift?

It usually happens with controllers which have had a lot of use. They lose some of their stiffness and don't return to the center of their axis properly when you let go of the stick, resulting in the camera slowly moving in-game, even if the player isn't touching the controller.

It happens to me if I turn my deadzone all the way down. I have to set it two notches from the lowest in order to stop it from happening.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It usually happens with controllers which have had a lot of use. They lose some of their stiffness and don't return to the center of their axis properly when you let go of the stick, resulting in the camera slowly moving in-game, even if the player isn't touching the controller.

It happens to me if I turn my deadzone all the way down. I have to set it two notches from the lowest in order to stop it from happening.
Oh that's what that is? I remember that happening one of my 360 controllers a few years back.

What analog settings are you guys playing at in first person. I'e been playing around with the settings for first person, but I can still notice the input lag.

I don't think I have input lag like that but the deadzone certainly makes it unplayable in first person.
BUMP - I recently started playing gta5 on Ps4 and have encountered this problem too. Maybe it's dead zones, maybe it is input lag, either way, it makes the game way less fun to play. It's not my tv, not my controller, not my system, as this isn't a recurring problem with any other game.

I don't suppose a solutoon's been posted? Doesn't seem like a lot of people have the problem.

UrbanRats

BUMP - I recently started playing gta5 on Ps4 and have encountered this problem too. Maybe it's dead zones, maybe it is input lag, either way, it makes the game way less fun to play. It's not my tv, not my controller, not my system, as this isn't a recurring problem with any other game.

I don't suppose a solutoon's been posted? Doesn't seem like a lot of people have the problem.

You sure it's a specific problem, and not just R* general incompetence, when it comes to on foot controls?
I mean Max Payne 3 was the only game that controlled decently, out of all they did (i didn't play all of them, but a good chunk).

Yesterday i fired up GTAV (PC) after some time to see what was what, and it took me roughly 15 minutes to boot out of the game in disappointment, because as beautiful and as packed with shit to do as that game is, the on foot controls just make it unplayable (among other dumb ideas, like being made of glass, or the omniscient police).

But i mean, GTAIV had the same problem, RDR had the same problem... Max Payne 3 even, shares a tiny bit of this, but it works better in that game, because of other factors.

Their games are (on foot) just sluggish and unresponsive.
They're just incompetent on that front.

nib95

Banned
What TV and what TV settings are being used in the example videos? That can also make a huge difference. Hell with one of my sets, having some of the post processing options turned on doubles my input lag. Same with if you're using certain receivers that are not set to pass through.

I played online with a friend and I can't believe how garbage the character controls are. Input lag notwithstanding. Amazing how this can sell over 50 million.

Three

I don't think it;'s the game. it's the controller. I've had input lag with ghosts, minecraft, hell practically every game I've played on Ps4.

Make up your mind will you ;p. Anyway you were a part of this thread already. GTA5 controls are like that there was a patch for the controls a while ago though I think. It's in the thread. Still GTA though.

IconGrist

I don't know how people notice that and to such an extent it ruins the game for them. I've played this on PS3, XB1 and PS4 and never noticed it.

I actually feel bad for the ones that do notice that. I would hate to be that sensitive. I wouldn't be able to play any game.

mmmmm well Rockstar made a patch that allowed you to shrink the deadzone...

have you tried experimenting with the analog stick settings? it helps a lot to find settings that fit you better.

personally I crank the deadzone to zero, actually decrease the aiming sensitivity somewhat for more precise aiming, but then ramp up aiming acceleration to almost full which helps me make faster larger changes in position. in GTAO, if I'm going to be doing deathmatch for any period of time, I'll usually crank up the aiming sensitivity but lower the acceleration.

also, keep Aiming half-pressed in combat... use aim-movement to move, turn, strafe, etc... it makes movement 1:1 and removes all the momentum inertia, character weight, turning arc, etc

You sure it's a specific problem, and not just R* general incompetence, when it comes to on foot controls?
I mean Max Payne 3 was the only game that controlled decently, out of all they did (i didn't play all of them, but a good chunk).

Yesterday i fired up GTAV (PC) after some time to see what was what, and it took me roughly 15 minutes to boot out of the game in disappointment, because as beautiful and as packed with shit to do as that game is, the on foot controls just make it unplayable (among other dumb ideas, like being made of glass, or the omniscient police).

But i mean, GTAIV had the same problem, RDR had the same problem... Max Payne 3 even, shares a tiny bit of this, but it works better in that game, because of other factors.

Their games are (on foot) just sluggish and unresponsive.
They're just incompetent on that front.
it's not just being on foot, it's also with the driving, and the shooting, and the button pressing. there's deadzones all around.
Make up your mind will you ;p. Anyway you were a part of this thread already. GTA5 controls are like that there was a patch for the controls a while ago though I think. It's in the thread. Still GTA though.
that was long before I started playing gta5 on my console. the issue I had with my controllers then wasn't really an input lag, I don't know how to describe it...I noticed it when I played minecraft and ghosts. I would move the analog stick a little bit, but the camera would pan much much more than I intended it to. Once I plugged it in the problem went away though and iirc if I unplugged it the problem came back & persisted.
mmmmm well Rockstar made a patch that allowed you to shrink the deadzone...

have you tried experimenting with the analog stick settings? it helps a lot to find settings that fit you better.

personally I crank the deadzone to zero, actually decrease the aiming sensitivity somewhat for more precise aiming, but then ramp up aiming acceleration to almost full which helps me make faster larger changes in position. in GTAO, if I'm going to be doing deathmatch for any period of time, I'll usually crank up the aiming sensitivity but lower the acceleration.

also, keep Aiming half-pressed in combat... use aim-movement to move, turn, strafe, etc... it makes movement 1:1 and removes all the momentum inertia, character weight, turning arc, etc
half-pressed? and what are these analog stick settings you speak of?

half-pressing the fire button let's you aim while moving... keeps you 'In Combat' mode... while In Combat, there's no momentum weight or inertia, movement is 1:1... so, you can spin or strafe on a dime, basically. so it helps when you need more precise movement of any sort since Out of Combat movement as the typical GTA character weight and momentum inertia. and the settings are just in your broader settings... control settings or something. there will be a bunch of bars you can set left and right... stick sensitivity, acceleration, and deadzone.

I don't know how people notice that and to such an extent it ruins the game for them. I've played this on PS3, XB1 and PS4 and never noticed it.

I don't notice how people DON'T notice it. It's significant, especially in first person mode.

It doesn't have this input lag when played on a high spec PC, whether you play with a controller or a keyboard and mouse, and the difference is really noticeable.

pawel86ck

Banned
After playing PS4 version for myself I have to say aiming is indeed very difficult compared not only to PC version, but also compared to xbox 360, ps3. The only way to play that game on PS4 is using auto aim all the time. But it looks to me like thumbstick settings are to blame (not input lag). Thumbsticks acceleration is very strong, and if you turn acceleration off thumbsticks sensitivity is extremely low even at max settings. On top of that any change in aiming sensitivity also change car steering (left thumbstick) sensitivity.

IMO GTA 5 controller settings are the best on PS3 version, I could aim without problems, and also car driving was better (there wasnt that strong car steering acceleration compared to other versions). Xbox 360 version also is good, although it still has too big car driving steering acceleration unlike PS3 version.

Top Bottom