• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the fuck is up with the input lag in Grand Theft Auto V on PS4??

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? (Note: The video is in slowmo, obviously).

I cannot play this. It's unplayable. Count it! FOUR frames of delay between my presses and the action that takes place on screen. GTAV on PS3 didn't have this bad of a lag. How is this acceptable? How has no one noticed this? How have reviewers not mentioned this? How is no one complaining about it and turning it into a Kotaku story for Rockstar to be ashamed of? It completely breaks the game for me. I can't drive cars properly, I can't be reactive, I can't aim right... It turns an otherwise incredible 9.5/10 game into an unplayable 5/10 broken disaster. Even all the ACU glitches and framedrops aren't as bad compared to input lag this terrible.

And even before the GTAV Defense Force(tm) starts jumping at my jugular, no, the problem is NOT my TV! I'm not getting any sort of input lag in proper games or the PS4 OS itself.

EDIT:
Adding these fantastic gifs that demonstrate the problems courtesy of Chabbles:

Dead zone
ib2BNBM1teoGMs.gif

Input lag
i9yzbNsP4Mujq.gif

Input lag in slow-mo so anyone can see it easily.
iqpT50gw4sR9A.gif

EDIT 2:
Here is another video showing the lag, courtesy of Lukas Japonicus!

EDIT 3:
THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE: A video that shows direct and side-by-side (near the end) comparison between the PS4 and PS3 versions, proving beyond shadow of a doubt that significant input lag was added when porting the game to the PS4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwkjaTu8ayY

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I noticed input lag on the Xbox One version too and thought I was just seeing things. I'm not even sure if I'm going to bother playing the "next-gen" versions

I'm playing on a monitor btw which pretty much has no input lag

Edit: it seems like it's just crap in first person mode. 3rd person feels a bit better

Sinfamy

Is your TV in PC/Game mode?

I don't get input lag, but the movement does have more weight to it than I'd like.

Anion

I play the x1 version and I do feel lag. I'm not sure if it's input lag or game design tbh....

If it's game design for 'realism' it is utterly crappy

It is not supernoticable, but I'm really sensitive to delays. I didn't feel it in WD

There is absolutely a huge controller dead zone for this game on the PS4. I haven't played it nearly as much as I would've liked simply because of this issue.

Skyzard

Banned
There is absolutely a huge controller dead zone for this game on the PS4. I haven't played it nearly as much as I would've liked simply because of this issue.

From the video it doesn't look like a deadzone issue, though I can understand your annoyance at that.

How much did you slow it down by, OP?

SJRB

Gold Member
I never noticed that in my PS4 version, response time in the video seems super weird to me.

-griffy-

Banned

There isn't a deadzone so much as the rate of acceleration curve is absurd. It's unbelievably slow right around the center area of a stick, until suddenly it's not and it's too fast. The slowest speed needs to be a bit faster, and the curve needs to be smoother instead of so dramatic.

Jedi2016

Camera lag is not the same as input lag. How many frames does it take between you hitting the "Fire" button and the character firing the gun? That is input lag. This is just a camera issue.

And no, I either didn't notice it or didn't give a shit. A far cry from "unplayable" in either event.

iMax

I don't think I have input lag like that but the deadzone certainly makes it unplayable in first person.

Like I said, I'm not getting any sort of lag in the PS4 OS. It's not the TV!

You'd be surprised actually. Gears of War 3 on my friends TV had this issue. Dashboard was fine, yet the game had input delay up the arse, no other game has had this problem either.. Switching to "Game Mode" on my friends TV fixed that. It's worth scrolling through your TV options and having a look at least.

Ruprit

I had a similar problem with Shadows of Mordor for PS4. I figured it was input lag due to the game being 30 fps and the dev team not making an attempt to reduce the lag. It also made the game unplayable for me and I ended up rebuying it for the PC.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That is a camera issue, not input lag. It has to do with the sensitivity. And its only somewhat of a deal.

Skyzard

Banned
^ you can see in the video he pushes the stick all the way very quickly.

Camera lag is not the same as input lag. How many frames does it take between you hitting the "Fire" button and the character firing the gun? That is input lag. This is just a camera issue.

And no, I either didn't notice it or didn't give a shit. A far cry from "unplayable" in either event.

That is a camera issue, not input lag. It has to do with the sensitivity. And its only somewhat of a deal.

Why would there be a delay in turning the camera but not everything else?

Although I do faintly remember some game with a dodgy camera delay...maybe. Games are complex I guess.

Using the camera controls isn't a good example of it, as someone above posted do a video showing the delay between hitting fire and the weapon shooting which is a better indicator.

Otherwise I've never had it THIS bad while playing but there is a delay there. Same with all Rockstar games really

Have not played the current gen version. But I felt this was the case with last gen. GTA controls have always been a bit janky. GTAV is no exception.

It's there in everything, not just the camera. I felt something was awfully odd when I couldn't drive around without running into everything in the first mission... it didn't feel as reactive as the PS3 version. It applies to everything: Shooting, running, driving... it's there everywhere!

Can other PS4 owners of the game chime in, please?

PS4 owner here, I noticed it the moment I picked up the controller. It's been brought up multiple times in the OT's by myself and others. And on the GTA forums.

I've played for a decent amount of time now, and I still can't get used to to the aiming in first-person. I have to move my character left and right with the left stick instead of moving the right stick to aim because of the input lag. It's just so difficult. And don't even get me started on trying to snipe.

Rockstar, PLEASE fix this.

Edit: The people saying things like "no problems here" are either lying, or simply do not notice it. Try playing something like Far Cry 4, which has excellent response time, then play GTA V. You should immediately notice the difference.

camac002

Yes, most noticeable in free aiming, there is more lag compared to aiming in other 30fps titles such as FC4. Annoying in first person mode, but not unplayable for me. Dunno whether it's a dodgy vsync implementation, deadzone, acceleration or whatever. I think it does hold it back from being a top tier fps mode though.

I noticed it at first and was moderately annoyed, but I adapted to it while playing. I haven't picked it up since launch week, though.

I remember a few GAFfers making complaints about the poor controls and saying they weren't like this on the PS4, but they couldn't quite put their finger on why... this may be the reason, as some may just assume it's sluggish or unresponsive controls. Interesting that many here claim to not be affected by it.

Top Bottom