• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to expect of Graphic Cards from now on?

Fbh

I honestly don't know how things will improve unless crypto mining starts to depend on other tech.

Wanted to get into PC gaming this gen but had to completely drop the idea because of these ridiculous prices. It's already bad for people that just want to upgrade their GPU, but if you are looking to build a new PC from scratch I just can't justify spending like $2K considering the pretty good performance you can get from a $400 console right now.

I paid for it long before minering... (2016). Why shouldnt I use it as I wish? I'm not running it 24/7, but why not when my pc idle? that alone pays my eletric bill lol.
No disrespect man, I'm just a bit mad at the whole situation. If you were using it for gaming too, than so be it. My beef is more with people buying tons of cards up and taking them away from gamers and the companies doing jack to improve it. Shouldn't have to wait 1/2 a year when already on a list for a gpu. Especially when we see people selling them everyday in mass on ebay with stacks of 10-20 cards at 5x msrp.

Braag

Where I live they are not available at any stores. I saw one store have a single 3090 for 3299€ this week and it disappeared the next day.
As for second hand online sites, there are some lower tier cards (1660 and such) costing closer to 800-1000€ and I did see one or two 3090 going for 3500€.
Anything between 2080 - 3080 is impossible to find here.
And this has been going on for well over a year now.

Last edited:

Athreous

No disrespect man, I'm just a bit mad at the whole situation. If you were using it for gaming too, than so be it. My beef is more with people buying tons of cards up and taking them away from gamers and the companies doing jack to improve it. Shouldn't have to wait 1/2 a year when already on a list for a gpu. Especially when we see people selling them everyday in mass on ebay with stacks of 10-20 cards at 5x msrp.
I know mate, sorry... I mean, it's absurd the prices at what they are right now =( But there's nothing we can do, just look at some companies buying tons of gpus just to get coins =(

BS... from who a scalper? What other card. Unless you like spending your time like a second job hunting down a card and hoping another scalper doens' t steal it from your cart, you aren't getting another card. I also wouldn't trust any card sold used from miners. Those cards are bound to break from taking a beating.
from microcenter
just gotta wait in line on tuesday

Diddy X

How can we be in this situation I don't get it, Graphic cards are for fucking gaming not for mining, somebody has to fix this shit asap.

I guess if they make some processor that works better than graphic cards for mining miners would go after that and using GC instead would be a loss of money.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
This thread really brought out some dumb dumbs

EDIT: not these guys, I'm talking about the politics commentary.

Bitcoin price hike was quite abrupt, +600% in past 6 months, it'll take some time that non-GPU miners will catch up and make GPUs again not that profitable for mining. I'd expect that in late 2021 GPU prices start to normalize and by summer 2022 they are close to normal levels.
Well, every bubble has bursted so far. Even the first crypto mining bubble bursted. So I expect this to happen to the current one as well. When that happens, and I hope it happens fast, the prices and availability will return to normal.
Mining goes up when the price crashes; people see that as reduced competition and invest during the dip.

Last edited:
I bought my GTX 1070 Ti slightly over two years ago. It's serving me very well in my current setup.

Not sure what the life expectancy of these cards are, but if my 1070Ti breaks and I can't just order a new card from a store... Then, it's RIP to my PC gaming. I'm not going to actively hunt for a card like it's a second job or something, I have a job already, with other responsibilities and other hobbies.

I'm as frustrated with this situation as the rest of y'all.

MetalRain

Mining goes up when the price crashes; people see that as reduced competition and invest during the dip.
I think you are right in sense that more people will try it. Crash and burn baby :messenger_fire:

I remember that in 2010-2011 there minority that was eager to purchase lots of GPUs to mine Bitcoin and others, then competition got hard. ASICs started dominating with better power efficiency and slowly there was no room for GPU miners anymore.

Surely cryptocurrency market is so big these days that not all miners can be professional? I don't even know.

I still think that investing too much of your assets into cryptocurrencies is pointless, but taking advantage of the hype can be wildly profitable. And also investing into practical applications of blockchain can be valuable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom