• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What to expect of Graphic Cards from now on?

Think the real solution is for supply to just eventually meet this demand. Will be years away but really it just comes down to if the demand never ends the supplier will just have to meet they're needs to maximize profits for shareholders essentially bringing prices down for individual cards.
I dont expect crypto to end anytime soon because i dont think its a bubble.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Here's what to expect, whenever a new one comes out unless you are some computer geek get ready to be mad because it's sold out. That is what to expect, ever since the pandemic buying some things have become extremely hard to get.

Athreous

Think the real solution is for supply to just eventually meet this demand. Will be years away but really it just comes down to if the demand never ends the supplier will just have to meet they're needs to maximize profits for shareholders essentially bringing prices down for individual cards.
I dont expect crypto to end anytime soon because i dont think its a bubble.
It's the future I'd say...

But yeah, new tech or maybe cheaper and better cards for mining would be great.

Fredrik

i hope my 1080ti dont die soon.
Every tech items are going up in prices, not just gpu. Ram, lcd panels, network switches, webcams.

inflation thanks to money printers.
Yeah that’s my situation as well. I have a 3080 ordered but at this point I have no idea when it’ll arrive. If my 1080ti fails I have to stop gaming on PC.

A2una1

Their prices are extremelly high right now with all this Crypto currency race... (even I started minering last night lol, when my PC is idle...).

Some cards are twice or even 3x it's msrp, and in a lot of places, they are all soldout... Also, PS5s and Xbox series X are really hard to find, they are soldout here since the first week of their release.

I'm worried that with more and more people and giant groups minering coins, gaming might end up being an expensive hobbie, if you need new consoles or better hardware for your PC...

What's your opinion, GAF?

PS. Mod, please, it's "from graphic cards", isnt it? Sorry about my english >_<, do you mind fixing it? ty!
I expect them to be like unicorns in the future: nowhere to be found, but legendary in their performance 😉

MetalSlug

I managed to buy a 3080 for £660, and because GPUs are so hard to get I was able to sell my GTX 1080 for £410. It took over a month of being glued to Discord bots but it was well worth it.
Just recently you managed to sell it for £410? I have one upstairs doing nothing and that amount of money would be nice right now :)

paperprinter_waste.jpg

You're confusing liberal with left. Real progressives are actually populist. Bernie v Bezos? Not ringing any bells? Guess you're not paying attention, if I'm being charitable. The old GOP is just as much in the corporate pocket as the Dems. The far right is optically populist but really just fascist. See one of Tucker's recent shows where his guest literally says the right will have no choice but to run a fascist if things keep going the way they're going. He gets ZERO pushback from Tucker. This actually happened. Nice try at gaslighting/both-sidesing though
Neither you nor Tucker's guest know anything about fascism. Tucker might, or at least some of his writers

amigastar

Does anyone know what Graphic Card is safe to buy currently. I mean no RTX 3000 series cause they are too expensive, but preferably from Nvidia?

MiguelItUp

Honestly I've been pretty damn content with my 2080, and I see no real reason to want to dive into the 3000 series. Which is good because they're a myth and they don't exist. 👀

When the time comes I just want graphics cards to not only be available, but continue to produce even better performance across the board. Maybe even be more reasonably priced. The gouging has been pretty insane.

I know the difference between the 2000 and 3000 series is a decent one, depending on the model of course. But I feel like the performance of the games we're playing aren't really showcasing any drastic changes. Again, it all depends on a number of variables, but I'm not getting my socks blown off, and I want to.

A lot of that probably just has to do with the current generation of games, etc. You could even blame COVID as well. But I just want that exciting reason to get a GPU, and I haven't felt that since getting my 2080 cause RTX, etc.

Does anyone know what Graphic Card is safe to buy currently. I mean no RTX 3000 series cause they are too expensive, but preferably from Nvidia?
Honestly, I'm not really too sure. I had a 1080 for a while and it was pretty crazy how decently that thing could hang with a lot of games.

It's wild cause for a few months now it almost seems like the cheapest and best thing to do to get a new GPU that isn't price gouged is get a prebuilt PC. Folks have been customizing PCs with the lowest and cheapest specs they can, but then putting the GPU they want in it. The final cost, at times, can be cheaper than getting the GPU outright from some places, it's ridiculous, lol.

gypsygib

I hope publishers/developers buy them all up and sell them to gamers at normal price if manufactures won't do anything against scalpers, miners, and now company scalping prices from ASUS, MSI, EVGA, etc.

Sure, Nvidia and AMD are making a killing but miners aren't buying any games. I know people that have quit gaming because they can't get a GPU, some of those people used to buy a lot of DLC. The gaming industry should put some pressure on Nvidia and AMD to make sure more cards actually get into the hands of people that buy games.

Personally, there are a number of games that I wanted to buy and would have purchased months ago (at higher prices) but my GPU is too weak. Now, I'm also losing my interest in gaming. I barely play and I'm not sure that my interest will return. I see games that I want(ed) heavily discounted now and still feel like there's no point and far less interest even if I had the GPU for them.

Last edited:

amigastar

Honestly I've been pretty damn content with my 2080, and I see no real reason to want to dive into the 3000 series. Which is good because they're a myth and they don't exist. 👀

When the time comes I just want graphics cards to not only be available, but continue to produce even better performance across the board. Maybe even be more reasonably priced. The gouging has been pretty insane.

I know the difference between the 2000 and 3000 series is a decent one, depending on the model of course. But I feel like the performance of the games we're playing aren't really showcasing any drastic changes. Again, it all depends on a number of variables, but I'm not getting my socks blown off, and I want to.

A lot of that probably just has to do with the current generation of games, etc. You could even blame COVID as well. But I just want that exciting reason to get a GPU, and I haven't felt that since getting my 2080 cause RTX, etc.

Honestly, I'm not really too sure. I had a 1080 for a while and it was pretty crazy how decently that thing could hang with a lot of games.

It's wild cause for a few months now it almost seems like the cheapest and best thing to do to get a new GPU that isn't price gouged is get a prebuilt PC. Folks have been customizing PCs with the lowest and cheapest specs they can, but then putting the GPU they want in it. The final cost, at times, can be cheaper than getting the GPU outright from some places, it's ridiculous, lol.
You're lucky, 2080 is still good today, you can easily ignore the 3000 series. I'm stuck with a GTX970.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
we can see 60-90 teraflop level GPU's next on 5nm. This much is given if they keep the same level of architecture. NVidia already closed to 40 teraflop mark with 3090 OC. If they double the performance with lovelace that will be 70-80 TF mark. RDNA 3 will be multichip as rumor says. One thing is certain that they will be expensive.

I don't want them to stop until the reach 4K@120fps on ultra with RT, and 8K@60fps. Hope now AMD is putting more pressure that the market will raise the bar rapidly. We only need the new DP 2.0 now and the next HDMI with similar bandwidth to keep up.

tusharngf

I don't want them to stop until the reach 4K@120fps on ultra with RT, and 8K@60fps. Hope now AMD is putting more pressure that the market will raise the bar rapidly. We only need the new DP 2.0 now and the next HDMI with similar bandwidth to keep up.

Yeah graphics will get better from here on. I just want consoles to raise the bar again. I am expecting at least 15-18 TF mark PRO console from microsoft and sony.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
It's a pass and a fuck you to both NVIDIA and AMD from me until they get their supply sorted out. I still have my 2070S which will have to do until they sell their newer cards at the initial MSRP. No way I'm paying $1k for a 3080FE.

And I'm not going to play the page refresh at checkout game. Fuck all that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah graphics will get better from here on. I just want consoles to raise the bar again. I am expecting at least 15-18 TF mark PRO console from microsoft and sony.

It's either 20-22TF PS5 Pro (chiplet 72CU) by 2023-2024 or they'll cut this gen short as PCIe 5.0 will make them extremely obsolete in the I/O throughput advantage they have now.

Neither you nor Tucker's guest know anything about fascism. Tucker might, or at least some of his writers

I don't know, I watch a fair few leftists who debates online fascists all of the time. They're almost universally stupid. Tucker regularly platforms them, I don't know why you would suggest otherwise unless you had an ulterior motive...

To the people mentioning GPU manufacturers should be making new product lines that cannot be used for mining, why would they do this? As it is they instantly sell every single product that rolls off the production line, they don't give two shits about what they're used for. Where is the financial incentive for them to spend R&D money for new product lines that reduce the customer pool?

I'm not trying to be mean here, but it sounds like you're asking a corporation to eat into its bottom line out of the goodness of their hearts.

Neo_game

Hopefully by the end of next year things will be normal. Though gfx cards are going to expensive. I am interested in Intel offering. This is their chance to cash in if they can have good mid-range cards available

Sentenza

I tried to obtain a3080 since September and then I saw every single one of my preorders canceled one by one as prices were rising.

At this point I pretty much gave up on the idea of getting one for the foreseeable future.

eot

Banned
It's a pass and a fuck you to both NVIDIA and AMD from me until they get their supply sorted out. I still have my 2070S which will have to do until they sell their newer cards at the initial MSRP. No way I'm paying $1k for a 3080FE.

And I'm not going to play the page refresh at checkout game. Fuck all that.
Neither Nvidia not AMD make their own chips, they’re at the mercy of the fabs and right now there is a global semiconductor production shortage.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Everyone wants to see better graphics cooling and great textures things Nintendo gets exposed on ever generation.

BlackTron

Until/unless prices sort themselves out, I will remain a PC gaming peasant with my GTX 1060. If the card dies, which I'm not that worried about because I don't ask anything herculean out of it and it stays cool enough, I'll just get another old budget card (but better than 1060 lol).

We are at a point of diminishing returns. I don't need 4k that badly.

yamaci17

Developers should optimize their games better so that they run on old hardware.

They managed to hit locked 30 FPS at native 1080p resolution with the 1.8 TFLOPS of GPU computing power and at a freqency of 1.6 ghz with low IPC Jaguar cores.

They can do wonders with a midrange system, if they actually tried to optimize their game.

Their prices are extremelly high right now with all this Crypto currency race... (even I started minering last night lol, when my PC is idle...).

Some cards are twice or even 3x it's msrp, and in a lot of places, they are all soldout... Also, PS5s and Xbox series X are really hard to find, they are soldout here since the first week of their release.

I'm worried that with more and more people and giant groups minering coins, gaming might end up being an expensive hobbie, if you need new consoles or better hardware for your PC...

What's your opinion, GAF?

PS. Mod, please, it's "from graphic cards", isnt it? Sorry about my english >_<, do you mind fixing it? ty!
So why the f are you contributing to the problem?

Let me guess you don't pay an electric bill?
That card is going to die eventually and then what?

I've been waiting since dec 2nd for my upgrade because of shit like this. Over 5 months. Insanity.

I hope bit coin and such crashes and people loose millions and never do it again.

Only way I see out of this.
Eventually this will kill pc gaming as we know it.
What happens when there isn't gamers to buy new games as they can't get graphics cards?
No games will be invested in and made.
Nvidia and AMD needs to lock out miners
INTEl GET in the race alright.

RESSURECT 3DFX!!!! (and matrox, powervr, etc...)

2nd thought:: End this insane high unemployment and push people back to work. Get off your lazy ass kid and get a JOB!!! Stop mooching off my tax dollars. Right now its paying better than McDonalds. I went to wendys to grab a quick snack on the way to the park the other day and the line was around the building at 2pm. I seen there wasn't a line inside so i went to go inside, the door was locked. Some lady came out and told me it was closed inside due to being short staffed.
She then told me that the kids don't want to come back to work cause uncle sam's tite is giving them more money than actually working.

So with these people not working they have more time and money to spend on game consoles and graphics cards.
In a normal time they would be working and hanging out with friends. Pandemic bs has some people act like shut-ins.

Last edited:
Those monopolies are slowly crashing just as capitalism itself. You cant suffocate people for so long and dont expect a backlash.
HAHAHA.... you really think so,... Any rebellion or pushback will be quashed or smeared by ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Washington S.Post, NYTimes, Fox, NPR, AP.....
They are all aligned, you really think the so called 5th estate has the back of the normal person? They are all owned by politicians relatives. They push the stories that they want to tell and skew the narrative for things like pushback. Remember gamestop stocks. All those sites brought on "Experts" to stick up for Robinhood banning selling to the little guy. Only Tucker Carlson, Glenn Greenwald and a few other "controversial" people actually stuck up for the the little guy. When do any of these news corps allow actual push back on the big corps? I haven't seen it out side the people I already named.

Bottom line is the small business got shit on with the pandemic lockdowns and big corps and big tech made bank. Direct wealth transfer to Bezos and friends. Don't even dare trying to compete ad their friends in media will start the smear campaign and call your company homophobic or some shit so Tim Cook throws a fit and bans you from the app store...

My opinion?. Fuck Nvidia and AMD. I´ve been retro gaming for like 2 years now.
Until your equipment breaks and you go to buy something to replace it and even the used market has shortage and skyrocketed prices. We are all fucked eventually if this doesn't get fixed, and soon.

Been waiting for 5 months for evga step up from 2060 (so glad i bought that a week before the shortage started). My multi-year warranty may be up by the time i get my 3060ti.

Just sold my 2080ti for $1100, can easily get another card easily
BS... from who a scalper? What other card. Unless you like spending your time like a second job hunting down a card and hoping another scalper doens' t steal it from your cart, you aren't getting another card. I also wouldn't trust any card sold used from miners. Those cards are bound to break from taking a beating.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep got my 2070 super mid last year and everyone told me it was a terrible decision due to the 3xxx series being right round the corner... So much for that. Couldn't have timed my purchase better. If I could do it again I would have just got a 2080ti, I only got the 2070s with the intention of keeping it for 6 months max before trading it in.

Given up thinking about a new GPU until the 4xxx series now, my 2070S is serving me well.
Not the mention, you probably can still sell it it at profit, when 4000 series come. I sold my 2070 OG (which I had laying around) month back for 18 500CZK, it cost 12 600CZK...

Just recently you managed to sell it for £410? I have one upstairs doing nothing and that amount of money would be nice right now :)
Don't do it. What happens if you current card breaks? You may be able to get a weaker card used, but then what.

I don't know about you but i value not having to turn down settings. I max everything with Ray tracing on and VR, just using a 2060, it would suck to have to loose that ability. I was talking to someone about the card situation and they were like why don't you sell it (they weren't a gamer or computer literate). Hell no, I need the backup. Especially with a dead ps4, a ps3 that has bluetooth and wifi issues and no avialble consoles. It would make my switch the only thing playable. Eventually the battery is going to go on that too :(

I have a 1650 super and a 1060 3g in another unused rig for backup if shit hits the fan on my 2060. Also I am on evga so step up is just a matter of time so that 3060ti when i get it will give me some ray of hope to weather the storm. Hopefully not another 5 months for that 3060ti. I ordered my step up on day 1 of release of it, dec. 2nd.

Rossco EZ

I managed to buy a 3080 for £660, and because GPUs are so hard to get I was able to sell my GTX 1080 for £410. It took over a month of being glued to Discord bots but it was well worth it.
if you don’t mind me asking which stock checkers did you use? i’m trying to get a 3080 but having no luck so far

HAHAHA.... you really think so,... Any rebellion or pushback will be quashed or smeared by ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, Washington S.Post, NYTimes, Fox, NPR, AP.....
They are all aligned, you really think the so called 5th estate has the back of the normal person? They are all owned by politicians relatives. They push the stories that they want to tell and skew the narrative for things like pushback. Remember gamestop stocks. All those sites brought on "Experts" to stick up for Robinhood banning selling to the little guy. Only Tucker Carlson, Glenn Greenwald and a few other "controversial" people actually stuck up for the the little guy. When do any of these news corps allow actual push back on the big corps? I haven't seen it out side the people I already named.

Bottom line is the small business got shit on with the pandemic lockdowns and big corps and big tech made bank. Direct wealth transfer to Bezos and friends. Don't even dare trying to compete ad their friends in media will start the smear campaign and call your company homophobic or some shit so Tim Cook throws a fit and bans you from the app store...
As i said the rampant capitalism will come crashing heavily, its innevitable they will keep defending it with news networks, lies and manipulation but they can only go so far.... cognitive dissonance is what they are doing they completely forgot the human aspect and protected the profit making machine of the 1 percent. As it is well known through history and common sense. Rampant capitalism have failed time and time again and what the big powers at be have always patched it with plasters and duct tape to keep it alive but they all know that time is coming when the people have had enough and itll all come down crashing hard, and by that time their old methods wont work anymore. You cant hit the big quiet kid in the playground every day and not expect a black eye.

Porcile

You can make easy money from buying one almost instantly, so until people can no longer make a profit on them, either through selling or through crypto, then the situation wil stay the same forever.

The exact same thing has happened with sneakers and trading cards. Try buying any new Pokémon TCG product right now.

What's the solution? Either seriously restrict who can buy one, jack up the price, or completely flood the market. They aren't doing any of that right now, so you are shit out of luck or it's time to resort to using bots.

FStubbs

I hope publishers/developers buy them all up and sell them to gamers at normal price if manufactures won't do anything against scalpers, miners, and now company scalping prices from ASUS, MSI, EVGA, etc.

Sure, Nvidia and AMD are making a killing but miners aren't buying any games. I know people that have quit gaming because they can't get a GPU, some of those people used to buy a lot of DLC. The gaming industry should put some pressure on Nvidia and AMD to make sure more cards actually get into the hands of people that buy games.

Personally, there are a number of games that I wanted to buy and would have purchased months ago (at higher prices) but my GPU is too weak. Now, I'm also losing my interest in gaming. I barely play and I'm not sure that my interest will return. I see games that I want(ed) heavily discounted now and still feel like there's no point and far less interest even if I had the GPU for them.
And nVidia and AMD would laugh at them. There's more money in crypto.

FStubbs

As long as that little guy is white, but I thought we weren't talking politics here anymore.

Stupid prices.

Still rocking a Radeon RX 480 after selling my 1080 because new cards were coming...ahhh the innocence...

From what I've read in a few articles, the situation might continue for 2022 and only improve in 2023.

We'll see

Excess

Card prices of the future will be fine.

As some have already said, there's a global chip shortage on everything from video game consoles to automobiles because demand is unprecedented. Supply will eventually catch up.

And given that chip manufacturing has become the de facto arms race of our time, it is now a national security priority, wherein the US, China and the EU are trying to shore up all manufacturing domestically. You recently heard that Intel will continue to manufacture, and TSMC is now exploring possible locations for even more plants in Arizona, which I'm sure China has their close-eye on.

If you want to watch an interesting video on the manufacturing process, I recommend this video:

Athreous

So why the f are you contributing to the problem?

Let me guess you don't pay an electric bill?
That card is going to die eventually and then what?

I've been waiting since dec 2nd for my upgrade because of shit like this. Over 5 months. Insanity.

I hope bit coin and such crashes and people loose millions and never do it again.

Only way I see out of this.
Eventually this will kill pc gaming as we know it.
What happens when there isn't gamers to buy new games as they can't get graphics cards?
No games will be invested in and made.
Nvidia and AMD needs to lock out miners
INTEl GET in the race alright.

RESSURECT 3DFX!!!! (and matrox, powervr, etc...)

2nd thought:: End this insane high unemployment and push people back to work. Get off your lazy ass kid and get a JOB!!! Stop mooching off my tax dollars. Right now its paying better than McDonalds. I went to wendys to grab a quick snack on the way to the park the other day and the line was around the building at 2pm. I seen there wasn't a line inside so i went to go inside, the door was locked. Some lady came out and told me it was closed inside due to being short staffed.
She then told me that the kids don't want to come back to work cause uncle sam's tite is giving them more money than actually working.

So with these people not working they have more time and money to spend on game consoles and graphics cards.
In a normal time they would be working and hanging out with friends. Pandemic bs has some people act like shut-ins.
I paid for it long before minering... (2016). Why shouldnt I use it as I wish? I'm not running it 24/7, but why not when my pc idle? that alone pays my eletric bill lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well this will not go like this forever.
Even if they are selling at high price, they are not selling the QTY they could.
But next gen is too soon for prices to drop. Maybe.. normalize which imo is still to high? Even asking price of 700 for 3080 is way too expensive imo

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
How the fuck did you do this? Seriously, please help. I'm trying to get a 3090

Top Bottom