• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What toys/video games did you never get as a kid?

Spyxos

Gold Member
Inspired by the thread Rebuying things from your childhood. What toys/video games whatever did you never get as a kid?

I really wanted to have Biker Mice from Mars toys no matter what. I dreamed about this stuff, but unfortunately never got any of it. What was it for you?

Nacelle_BikerMice_YELLOW_3840x2160_BeautyShot.jpg
ecaa6437c806efcc3080e436b8382c05.jpg

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
The original Sony Walkman. I was so convinced I was going to get it for Xmas. Instead I got a formula one racetrack that wasn't even electric.

The Stig

9aa2a60449d24ec0ad748ac4d6c1d088xl.webp

Man I wanted that Optimus so bad. With the sick trailer and everything. But it was crazy expensive.

Kid in my class got him, spoiled little shit.
same. i later grew up and started collecting them.

ive got HUNDREDS. it got out of hand at one point......

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I never got an N64 despite multiplayer being in my DNA since birth. I still bring it up at Thanksgivings when I've had too much to drink and I want to fight.

"You could have just played FF7" always leads to the Police being called.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
mom kept telling me she'd get me a sega genesis but never did I ended up getting some used one from funcoland didn't play it much though i'm pretty sure i moved on to n64 by then

Easy bake oven.

Eventually got creepy crawlers which was fine enough, but i still feel like if I was asking for an oven to cook my own food, the least my parents could have done was taught me how to bake/cook more at that age instead of getting me a crappy toy oven.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I come from a family business although I'm an independent businessman now. That said, I was working part-time at the age of 12-years old. Why? I wanted to be and I wanted toys that my parents wouldn't buy otherwise. It may be a long list but first console I ever bought was a used SNES during the same gen (for like $75).

I wanted:

- A Sega Gamegear
- Sega Megadrive
- SNES
- NES
- N64 (as it was new)
- PS1 (as it was new too)

and many different games at the time. I ended up buying every one of them by working. The reason I post this is because parents weren't going to buy it and that's because they feared I'd spend too much of my time playing if it were made easy. This may also be why historically, I've never played any single game in one sitting. The only console I ever got as a gift was the Nintendo Gamecube. However, I wasn't a kid at that time (in High School) and I came up short at the register. My Dad was with me and bought it as a surprise.

Long story short, I never 'got' these which were hyphened. I wanted them to be birthday or Christmas gifts but my parents raised me otherwise and I'm glad they did.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I never had gi joe. I never really wanted them though. Our friends had them and we would attach them to bottle rockets.

I always wanted Lego and Playmobil castles:

Ejkskn0.png

KN6Lkmh.jpg

I loved knights as a kid, and although I had many small sets, those soldiers needed a castle to defend or attack. Just never happened, despite getting other large sets and toys. Funny how that goes.

Can't complain about my childhood though. I had that Thunderbirds island. It wasn't that cool.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Ejkskn0.png

KN6Lkmh.jpg

I loved knights as a kid, and although I had many small sets, those soldiers needed a castle to defend or attack. Just never happened, despite getting other large sets and toys. Funny how that goes.

Can't complain about my childhood though. I had that Thunderbirds island. It wasn't that cool.
I had a Lego castle and lots of knights and pirates and forrestmen. All of these went on major adventures.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Inspired by the thread Rebuying things from your childhood. What toys/video games whatever did you never get as a kid?

I really wanted to have Biker Mice from Mars toys no matter what. I dreamed about this stuff, but unfortunately never got any of it. What was it for you?

Nacelle_BikerMice_YELLOW_3840x2160_BeautyShot.jpg
ecaa6437c806efcc3080e436b8382c05.jpg
What??

Those figures sold a lot and there were quite a few in the supermarkets xD.

That series was a success in Mexico like TMNT, and I loved the SNES game.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
What I always wanted and never had

Toys

MacrossVF-1S_300x300.jpg
teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-classic-fahrzeug-original-party-pl81288_600x600.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

800px-Pok%C3%A9mon_Pikachu_digital_pet.JPG

Games

nintendo-nes---teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-ii-the-arcade-game---ultra-games--us-version--p-image-381564-grande.jpg
snes_mega_man_x2_p_683kup.jpg
6670413-pocky-rocky-snes-front-cover.jpg
BookReaderImages.php
DK_Country_2.jpg
Wonder_Project_J2_-_Koruro_no_Mori_no_Josette_Coverart.png
N64_-_Sin_%26_Punishment.jpg
Mischief_Makers.jpg

lcd_1.jpg
Too bad you weren't in the States. Bought the PS1 with screen in pretty much new condition. I loved playing it but boxed it away. It's still at my U.S. residence along with my Dreamcast, Super Famicom, N64 and a ton of games. I'll pick them up one of these days...

The JP version of Pocky & Rocky was going for like $10 when I bought it in like 2012. Not sure if that's the same case today but with most of those rare JP games; best to buy the JP console and just play that way.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I always wanted a Sega Saturn but never got one. The one year I was supposed to we had ordered one from Ebay but the seller turned out to be a scammer so I didn't get it.

intbal

Laser Tag.

I got the Wal-Mart knockoff version, which wasn't compatible with my friends' sensors.

I still haven't forgiven my Dad for that.

Rudius

I never had any non playstation consoles or portables. Only started playing those emulated years later..

BlackTron

Ejkskn0.png

Funny you should post this, this is one I poured over in the catalog back then but I never scored. I pretty much got the Aquazone base that came out the same year instead.

This set (Royal Knights Castle) has an almost myth like status in my mind. It represents a pure 90s build that will remain a mystery to experience. Another one I felt this way about until I came down to earth a little and realized it's a cool set but not exactly earth-shattering...the 80s Blacktron base which I wanted as a kid but by the time I discovered Lego was discontinued already.

Sorry to be that guy, but this is my #1 most classic childhood toy. I remember rolling it around my grandma's house when I was so small I could lean my weight into it like a walker. It was the precursor to my Lego obsession...I ended up wanting more TMNT vehicles because I liked that you needed to assemble them with instructions and apply stickers.

s-l1200.webp

Not getting it was a blessing in disguise as I had no idea at the time that it didn't transform and that Hasbro undercut competition by buying the license from Takatoku for their Jetfire in Transformers. But I remember seeing it in the mall and asking/begging my dad for it.

s-l1600.png

Asked for it, never got it. I actually had a dream that I got it and that it was on my bed. I woke up looking for it and upset that it was only a dream.

Last edited:

lachesis

RGB monitor and 3.5" drives for my MSX2 computer. I begged and begged for it, but all I got was a monochrome monitor and a cassette tape device... :(

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
I think I asked my mom for either battletoads/double dragon or Castlevania 3 for my birthday (both NES) and she got me "Bible games."

Doubly disappointing because when I saw it wrapped it was the right shape. My parents were hardcore Christians when my siblings were all young.

TastyPastry

i never wanted anything in my life as much as these two when i was a kid and saw them at a toys r us

there is stuff i really want to have now as i'm older but not with the same intensity as with these two toys when i was a kid. it's hard to explain.

Dazrael

I wanted a Star Wars AT-AT so bad but never got one. My mum said it was because the legs looked too fragile and that I would have broken it. She was probably right as I did exactly that with the Scout Walker.

BlackTron

Holy shit the Royal Knights Castle AND Shuttle Launch Pad in the same thread.

Exactly the two big Lego sets I coveted most and never got are the specific pics in the "never got" thread and it's freaking me out.

BlackTron

Lego the thread.
Lego and action figures apparently. Like Lego themes, just a matter of were you into TMNT, GI-Joe, He-Man etc

Cobra terror dome. In line with your choices. I really wanted the technodrome too cause I liked krang.

Reminds me, I really wanted one of these too, and saw it in the store SO many times. I had a good amount of Turtle gear but they had few enemies to fight. I had the tape with the episode where Krang's android body got gigantic and the turtles stopped him by going inside. Used to watch it over again every day. Like 30 years later I got the Mega Blok version. TMNT was the only thing that got me to cross over into Mega Bloks! That's some heretic shit where I come from.

VlCH1Zq.jpg
5FVd5rL.jpg

Vyse

Gold Member
I managed to get my parents heads around buying the console, but once they saw the price of the game's it was game over.

dpAzxNc.jpg
I used to walk past an import video game store when I worked in manhattan in the early 90’s. They had a NeoGeo set up, but it was beyond my means at the time.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Too bad you weren't in the States. Bought the PS1 with screen in pretty much new condition. I loved playing it but boxed it away. It's still at my U.S. residence along with my Dreamcast, Super Famicom, N64 and a ton of games. I'll pick them up one of these days...

The JP version of Pocky & Rocky was going for like $10 when I bought it in like 2012. Not sure if that's the same case today but with most of those rare JP games; best to buy the JP console and just play that way.
Yes, I had always wanted a PS1, but I didn't have the money to buy it at the time... I only had an N64.

At that time in the 90s, Japanese games were very difficult to get, I always wanted to play Sailor Moon and Wonder project J 2, but they were Japanese, it was practically impossible for normal people to play them.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
9aa2a60449d24ec0ad748ac4d6c1d088xl.webp

Man I wanted that Optimus so bad. With the sick trailer and everything. But it was crazy expensive.

Kid in my class got him, spoiled little shit.
I literally have a sealed one in storage. Bought it as an adult for the same reason as you.

When I was a kid there was these little monster trucks that were really popular on the “hill”. Kids would drive them in the dirt and race them down the hill. I always wanted one but we were pretty broke that year so I never did. I’d buy one now as the things are cheap as hell but I wish that some one would buy it for me as a gift on my bday or Christmas one year. I’m the wife hasn’t gotten the hint lol. I’ll double down!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Not sure if it qualifies as a toy, but I really wanted a fish tank. I never had it as a kid, and I still don't have it.. go figure.

Top Bottom