• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was actually wrong with Halo 4 and 5?

Shambala

Halo 5 was one of the most boring games I’ve ever played. That’s exactly why I’ll sub to gamepass and play it. I ain’t spending $60 on 343 crap anymore. They aren’t good devs imho

Nickolaidas

I have no idea. I never play Halo online, so I can only comment on the single player.

Halo 5's pacing and action set pieces were amazing, as also the new enemy which replaced the most boring, generic putrid pile of shit enemies I've ever faced on a shooter. The Flood. (spits)

I always considered Halo a series which improves with every new entry.

Always talking about single player.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I never play Halo online, so I can only comment on the single player.

Halo 5's pacing and action set pieces were amazing, as also the new enemy which replaced the most boring, generic putrid pile of shit enemies I've ever faced on a shooter. The Flood. (spits)

Really? I never thought they topped the first, partially because even Bungie didn't totally get why the first worked... give me a big open sandbox of a level with enemies as good as the Elites to face and I'm happy. I don't want overly scripted shit.

oldergamer

Halo has been around long enough that nearly everyone that has played one has a different opinion on what it should and shouldn't be.

oldergamer

Whats funny is there is an enemy kind of like the flood now in gears, where you fight a living tech monsters or something like that. They tend to swarm and charge at you.

Nickolaidas

Really? I never thought they topped the first, partially because even Bungie didn't totally get why the first worked... give me a big open sandbox of a level with enemies as good as the Elites to face and I'm happy. I don't want overly scripted shit.
I personally found the action setpieces in Halo 1 repetitive as fuck. 2 & 3 did a much better job.

JimboJones

Didn't play 5 but 4 got rid of a lot of the bigger sandbox areas.
The multiplayer performance in split screen was atrocious on certain levels, like felt like sub 20fps at times and combined with occasional lag basically ment split screen was effectively off the cards.

V4skunk

Banned
Because Halo 4+5 lost the core of what made made Halo, Halo!
The wide open sand box got replaced with kiddy cod linear corridor shit.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I get confused by a lot of the Sandbox removal comments as Halo 2 did the same thing. Not entirely but a lot of that game was linear and people never complain.

Am i missing something?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

For just a moment, I legit forgot that Halo 5 existed.

I never played either to be quite honest. But I had an old co-worker that was/is OBSESSED with Halo. I remember her telling me that she didn't hate either, but that in a lot of ways they didn't feel like the Halo she came to know and love. That changes can be welcomed, sure, but that these just didn't feel right. Especially with the multiplayer. She was/is very competitive and was always about the multiplayer, so I can understand considering the changes they made. Regarding the story she told me that it felt fine, it just didn't feel as weighty as the previous titles. Almost like filler content.

Bungie's definition of Halo 1-3: Master Chief is a Husk, henceforth he is a badass! We wouldn't play a game we wouldn't enjoy ourselves, if you think you made the best game ever, then you have failed. You play the game with your friends and have fun, whilst learning new stuff. The trilogy starts and ends on a great note. Master Chief: I am finishing this fight.

343i's definition of Halo 4-5: He iz Human Bean! Haz emotionz! Competitive Gameplay! Microtransactions! We need more weapons with stupid colours. 343i: I am finishing this franchise.

These are actually from Interviews from Bungie/343i on Youtube.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
For just a moment, I legit forgot that Halo 5 existed.

I never played either to be quite honest. But I had an old co-worker that was/is OBSESSED with Halo. I remember her telling me that she didn't hate either, but that in a lot of ways they didn't feel like the Halo she came to know and love. That changes can be welcomed, sure, but that these just didn't feel right. Especially with the multiplayer. She was/is very competitive and was always about the multiplayer, so I can understand considering the changes they made. Regarding the story she told me that it felt fine, it just didn't feel as weighty as the previous titles. Almost like filler content.

THe multi of 5 is still top tier. I dropped a shit load of hours in to the game. And the story is definitley filler content style. Nothing really happens in the game until the end and even then its not resolved in any real fashion.

The marketing for the campaign didn't help either. Its Abrams style of swearing it wasn't a story that will end how you think, and it was exactly what you think.

Xenon

I know I'm going to get flamed for this but Halo:CE had the best story and its been downhill from there. Halo 4 was bogged down by superfluous scifi jargon and exposition. It's easy to throw 343 under the bus for this but Bungie already set the series in this direction by moving the Master Chief from being a fighter in a larger conflict to being the center of it. So now you only lateral move in the story since he's already achieved the pinnacle of success. That's a hard thing to make interesting. This lead to the disaster that was Halo 5. Sadly the concept of a new Spartan rising up to take the mantle only works if people care about the one who does it. They failed doing this with Locke spectacularly and were destroyed by their marketing group who seemed to be on a completely different page. Then you have the idiotic idea that the story should be spread out over different forms of media. Halo 5 should be taught as everything you shouldn't do when it comes to writing and story in video games.

As far as gameplay I have no problems with them experimenting with different movements such as sprint. I'd even say that Halo 5 has some of the best controls I've ever felt in a FPS. I really enjoyed the multiplayer even though it's not something I wanted to sink a lot of time into. I also didn't mind the Prometheans that much since anything was better than fighting the same enemies that I had been for the last 5 games. I hope 343 doesn't fall back on just the Flood and the Covenant. They need take the feedback and create something new.

Overall I enjoyed 4 a lot more than I did 5.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
After what we saw from the Infinite trailer I think Halo is in a better situation now.

Dr.Morris79

The story was absolute garbage. It didn't fit with the previous games at all. It was clearly established that Halo 3 was the end of the story and that the flood and Covenant were defeated, THE END. There were so many great stories that took place before Halo 3 that involved many of the beloved characters including Master Chief but they had to shoe-horn a new story with a completely re-worked lore and everything. Halo 4's lore feels completely different from the previous games, for example the ancient humans. Halo 5 is just the continuation of the train wreck that was Halo 4 so I don't hate it nearly as much. It just doesn't feel like any of the previous Halos at all. 343 should have made games about everything that happened between now and the end of Halo 3, you could easily make hundreds of fantastic and interesting games in that time frame. Insurrections, first contact with the Covies, Spartan Is, Spartan IIs, stories about individual marines, ODST, pilots. You could easily make a whole game where you fly a pelican, just look at Dropship: United Peace Force. A fantastic game where you mostly play a pilot of a transport craft. But no, they had to re-write everything and "suddenly everybody is a bad guy again" so you get to shoot everyone again for no reason. It is just pure trash and completely ruined Halo for me.
Hear hear!

I'd say that just about sums it up completely.

Iced Arcade

Partly because it's MS's flagship franchise. Lol jk (well kinda)

- II think it's because the previous Halo's were such a massive jump compared to everything else at the time.

- The most uninteresting god damn thing in video games is fighting robotic enemies like the Prometheans (same with gears 4 & 5). Especially those little flying fucking things that every game has (watcher is Halo, guardian in Gears, and whatever they are called in crackdown 3)

- Rise of easy skilled MP games. No one is picking up a match in Halo and owning anyone right off the hop. Gamers have gotten soft and want easy kill gratification.

- people play Halo to play as master chief not another character because you were trying to push a TV show (nightfall).

Just my thoughts though lol

Last edited:
I think the fact they are xbox exclusives not made by the original developer has a negative effect on it. The game has an 87 metacritic, the same as Spiderman lol. But you'd think it was sitting around a 70 how its talked about.

Vawn

Banned
They aren't horrible, but they aren't exactly good or great either. That's not good enough for a console's flagship series.

I'll never understand how Microsoft didn't do more to keep Bungie around. It feels they value the art more than the artist.

I really don't play multiplayer games anymore like I used too..So I have no input to offer for the mp portions

But I actually liked the SP campaigns..and I love running through halo on legendary regardless of which one it is. Might just be me

Last edited:

OutRun88

My opinion only applies to multiplayer.

The FPS genre departed from Halo style shooters after Halo 3. Halo 4 and 5 attempted to bridge the gap between old Halo and current shooter landscape. In doing so, it simply bastardized itself into an inferior game. I'd even argue the same thing occurred for Reach, albeit to a lesser extent, though I know that game jived with a lot players.

Honestly, I think that both games would have been seen as huge when they came out and likely even have reviewed much higher if they weren't attached to the Halo brand and were a new IP.

As to specific problems with the game:
- Halo 4 on 360 was targeting 30 fps like all the previous games but the more fast paced nature of the multiplayer made it not really feel as good with the gameplay they were going for. Playing it on Xbox One through MCC fixes this and even makes Halo 4 MP one of my favorites.

- Halo 4 multiplayer tried to expand off of Halo Reach's armor/gun loadouts by having custom classes in a lot of modes. This very obviously changes Halo from the more balanced from the start Arena type MP the previous games had. Again, this is fixed in Halo MCC and I rarely play a Halo 4 game where I can select my loadout.

- Halo 5's story was just really weak for a Halo game and was also completely different than what the marketing had set up. It absolutely needed a few more levels as well as some tighter writing to really clear up the issues and it never did that. The story was also pretty fan-service-y but the level design was solid and I had fun with it personally

- Halo 5 MP decided to chase the 3d movement trend that was also going on with FPS games (namely COD and Titanfall) at the time and so every player had a lot of really cool abilities such as thrusters, Spartan slam, hover and spartan dash. Personally, I really liked these and thought that they played pretty well (outside of a lot of control schemes being pretty awkward in one way or another for me) but I also agree that a lot of this doesn't really belong in Halo.

Honestly OP, if you want to play the Halo games for the first time, I think you will really enjoy all of the games even if you don't care for the story of 5. They are all really good games, it's just that Halos 4 and 5 were 80 something games and not 90 something games for various reasons (again, mostly because they have the Halo name) and I feel like from a gameplay perspective they all play pretty damn well and even if you only play the campaigns you will get enjoyment from them as the setpieces in 5 are still pretty damn fun

Fbh

Only played through the single player in both.
For me it mostly comes down to the new enemies/weapons not being fun to fight with/against as well as the story sucking. Honestly, with a new studio in charge I would have preferred if they did a sort of soft reboot with the story. Not erasing the story of Halo 1-Reach but just sort of making a clear cut and being like "that story was finished, here's a completely new saga that's mostly unrelated to the old stuff".

Instead they went with what IMO is the worst possible approach. A weird, hard to understand, not really old and not really new plot that assumes a large part of the playerbase has read and invested time in the expanded universe books and comics.

Bungie's definition of Halo 1-3: Master Chief is a Husk, henceforth he is a badass! We wouldn't play a game we wouldn't enjoy ourselves, if you think you made the best game ever, then you have failed. You play the game with your friends and have fun, whilst learning new stuff. The trilogy starts and ends on a great note. Master Chief: I am finishing this fight.

343i's definition of Halo 4-5: He iz Human Bean! Haz emotionz! Competitive Gameplay! Microtransactions! We need more weapons with stupid colours. 343i: I am finishing this franchise.

These are actually from Interviews from Bungie/343i on Youtube.

Everything that I have read made me think of this.

Bungie's BTS wasn't marketing, they wanted to show to the fans how passionate they are towards the project. You then watch 343i and it's just marketing BS with people using big corporate words. I miss the old Bungie.

Isn't it an Art to Market something you are passionate about? What Bungie said in it resonates with me even if I have never played a Halo game in my life!

Skyfox

Never loved Halo 1. Halo 2 same. Halo 3 definitely caught my attention and Halo 4 was the pinnacle for me.

I've tried the other Halo games (including the top down halo wars ones).

To be honest, like Gears, Forza and Fable I think the series should have stopped forever a generation ago.

This is Microsoft's weakness. They dont prioritise originality. They almost succeeded with recore.

I adore Microsoft's hardware though.

Last edited:

Woffls

The new enemies were precisely zero fun. Don't remember much about either game besides that, really.

Grinchy

Banned
Halo 5 was one of the most boring games I’ve ever played. That’s exactly why I’ll sub to gamepass and play it. I ain’t spending $60 on 343 crap anymore. They aren’t good devs imho
Yeah I found it so boring. I really wanted to like it as it was the first Halo I had played in a while. Even playing on the X with it looking and running the best it could, I got maybe 2 hours in.

I've always thought Halo stories sucked, but the gameplay carried the campaigns. The formula just did nothing for me. It kinda reminded me of playing Uncharted 4. Once you've played the same formula too many times in a row, it's guaranteed to get boring.

Allandor

Funny thing. I'm more or less bored after a while playing Halo 1-3. But had really great fun with Halo 4 & 5. These were the first two Halo games, where I really could follow the story and found it interesting. From my perspective Halo 4 & 5 had the right direction :)

Last edited:

KRod

Neo Member
They were not bad games....they just didn’t move the needle as much as 2/3 and reach did

Sort of like uncharted on PlayStation....first 2 were great and then it didn’t really evolve and felt repetitive in the next couple of games

Hoping the rumours of infinite being a destiny type game are true

Pretty much this, I think the newer games were visually impressive, but didn't quite feel as groundbreaking overall for their time as the earlier games. They were still good though

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The manner in which they told their stories.

Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and ODST all told stories that required no outside sources to gain clarity on events that transpired within. You could read the books, watch the shorts, etc if you wanted some extra info, but it was not necessary to enjoy the games.

Halo 4 and 5 changed that. Large swaths of info were relegated to extraneous media that lessened the enjoyment of the games. Who was the didact? What are the prometheans? Their goals? Plans? Why is Master Chief suddenly being chased around and what is Spartan Lockes' deal? ALl of that was in books, ARGs, shorts, etc.

Extraneous media should only serve to bolster what is already there, not a requirement to enjoy the product.

Halo 4 is Amazing. The story caught me by surprise. Its the only one I havn't beat solo because its the hardest single player. So much fun. Halo 5 still had better campaign level design than a lot of games. The story just went off the deep end. I feel like in a couple years people will come around like they did with halo 2. People wanted top play as Chief and got lock. It should have been a side game. My biggest problem with it was fighting the same boss 3 times.

Codes 208

The problem with halo 4 was its gameplay. They took in people who actually hated halo 1-3 and let them tweek aspects of the gameplay to fit their general interest. Rather than going back and working their way up from halo 3, they went with the more controversial halo reach to be the evolutionary stepping stone. And while its not horrible, the multiplayer is a straight up cod ripoff (loadouts and killstreaks included)
the campaign is another thing. I get the issues with their narrative but frankly, i actually liked the story (the campaign levels are another issue, the game was very tight and corridor-like) oh, and spartan ops was lame. It felt like a continued trope of go here and go there on the same areas you’ll see again and again. (The only interesting chapter is when the promies and covies board the infinity and we finally see some unique settings that werent in the campaign.) The promies were another issue, just a mediocre enemy faction (the lore is cool but fighting them sucks)

halo 5 has the complete opposite problem. The multiplayer was decent but the narrative was awful. For starters hunt the truth was incredibly misleading, they made it out that chief went rogue and implied halo 5 was about finding out why: spoilers: you fond out in the second damn mission. On top of that , locke and Osiris are about as interesting as a cardboard cutout of themselves, theres no character development and the story felt flat and ended flat. Bringing back cortana as an evil space empress was dumb move (her death was like a huge milestone in chief’s character arc, halo 5 should have about him continuing on without her) and once again the promies suck to fight against. And no one asked for gears’ DBNO feature for campaign.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I only play the campaigns so I can't speak to the MP side.

Halo 4 is my 2nd favorite Halo after Reach. I thought the story was great. Both Cortana and MC were much more human and much more likeable. I loved the introduction of the Prometheans. They were far more interesting and diverse than the redundant, boring-ass Flood. The graphics were spectacular and superior to MANY current gen games. The person that said they are meh is smoking crack. My only beef with that game is that Marty O'Donnell didn't do the music.

I enjoyed Halo 5. It's not my favorite Halo, but I like it better than 2 or ODST. I actually thought the story was interesting but a bit too extreme of a departure. My biggest complaint with 5 was it also lacked Marty O'Donnell for the music and the repeated fights with the same annoying and NOT fun boss. I think it also gets a lot of hate due to MC sharing screen time with Locke and a lot of people hated Locke simply because he wasn't Master Chief. personally, I liked him and I like the game.

I really liked 4, and I actually liked the gameplay in 5. I'd argue both are actually really good games.

That said...

Story took a real bad turn, especially in 5, with the marketing leading up to 5 basically being a pile of lies and deception. Halo 4 split the story into the main story and Spartan Ops, which took place months after the campaign, setting up Jul 'Mdama as the new antagonist. In 5 you just kill him immediately like it was nothing. At the end of 4 you "fight" the Didact in a shitty quick-time event but you didn't kill him. The game doesn't tell you that he survived the fight, you have to do homework and find out the in-between stuff by reading/watching other media which is always garbage.

In 4 they killed off Cortana by making her the hero saving the Chief which I think was a good move. Killing off such an important and well liked character in that way was a bold move in 4 that was undone almost immediately in 5 where they revived her as an unlikeable cunt. The whole story structure of 5 was nonsense, like they wouldn't want to send the Master Chief to investigate the Cortana shit going on and try to hide it from him. No. Then they send Locke to bring in the guy that saved humanity multiple times? No.

I never once gave a shit about Locke and his team of nobodies + Buck. That Locke wasn't immediately stomped by the most skilled Spartan II to ever exist made my eyes roll so hard I am now blind. That fight never should have happened in the first place.

Promethain enemy types ranged from slightly annoying to fight on normal to tedious asshats on legendary. Fighting Warden Eternal in Halo 5 so many times was just boring and felt lazy.

Multiplayer in 4 was not great, but in 5 was good. Forge in 5 was amazing.

The amount of things that were completely changed was nonsensical from ship designs (like the Forward Unto Dawn which wasn't even close to the original ship), to the bulkier Elite designs. The Forerunner's simple, almost brutal aesthetic was abandoned in favor of a more obvious sci-fi look with flashy bling-bling all over the place.

SamFo

Halo 5 had a great multiplayer suite, but a lot of the features were added over time as content drops.

The campaign was OK, but built for 4 person Co Op and that kind of sucked - being downed in halo felt so wrong...
Plus they added the completely lame new playable character Locke and you fought another lame character Warden Eternal about 3-4 times.

The marketing around the game #huntthetruth was a classic bait and switch.
It had nothing to do with the game and unfortunately was way cooler than anything in the game.

Forsythia

The story was shit and flatout confusing as you were expected to have read books beforehand, and the new enemies are really boring. Robot enemies are not fun to fight! They were a bit better in 5, but still I want them wiped from existence. Even the Flood are a better enemy.

DavidGzz

Loved them both. They just didn't evolve the FPS like 1-3 so people were harder on them. I'm not sure what can be done anymore in the FPS field so Infinite will probably have its haters too.

In a long running franchise you're bound to have duds - so it was to be expected - more a matter of when not if. Naughty Dog is an extremely rare occurrence where a developer stays top dog for so long.

I'm just kinda surprised 400-500 people worked on this game and shipped it as is after Halo 4 criticism. Leadership is a massive problem there.

Last edited:

Vildiil

Halo 5 is the only halo game I just couldn’t push through the campaign on and I’ve been a fan since the beginning. It was just not good at all, I didn’t hate the multiplayer quite as much but now that the MCC is functional I just don’t see a point in 5 existing.
The only positive thing I have to say about 4 is the graphics they were able to push on the 360 was impressive.

I personally found the action setpieces in Halo 1 repetitive as fuck. 2 & 3 did a much better job.

I didn't want variety, just give me slightly different environments to fight the amazing AI in.

I get confused by a lot of the Sandbox removal comments as Halo 2 did the same thing. Not entirely but a lot of that game was linear and people never complain.

Am i missing something?

Yeah, 2 is lesser than 1, 3 is a bit of a step up from 2 but still not at 1's level. I complain, btw, all the time about the more linear scripted stuff 2 did.

UnNamed

Banned
The day they decided to follow books lore they ruined the Halo mithology.

Despite Halo Reach was a good game, for me ODST is the ending chapter.

Knightime_X

I think it was how armor worked and maps being too big.
Didn't like either. Halo3 was by far better than halo 4.

Never played halo 5.

Top Bottom