• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was actually wrong with Halo 4 and 5?

I can't speak to the multiplayer components, only to the single player campaigns. I didn't like the Halo 4 campaign due to it's focus on Cortana. Her story line and how she evolved over time is a good indicator for the general problem of the newer Halo campaigns: the unwillingness of the developer to make hard decisions concerning their characters, probably out of fear to alienate fans. Gears of War as a franchise had similiar problems. By Halo 3/4 or GoW 3/4 it was about time to kill off the main character, to hand over the torch ... or to morph them into the new antagonist (i.e. "Master Chief goes baaad"). Unfortunately 343 didn't have the guts to do this. Instead, for the Halo 5 campaign they try to introduce a new antagonist/protagonist in the form of Locke, who is a such a generic, bland super soldier it's pretty obvious he was made so that wannabe military players could project onto him.

Comparisons to the movie industry are only of limited use here. Sure James Bond has been around for decades, played by different actors. You can also use characters like the Joker or Batman as examples of different executions of the same idea, made for different audiences or generations of viewers. To a degree this applies to video games. Notice the difference though: in video games you are that character, you made it, you own it. The appropriation is different. Video games have a harder time telling audiences that a character has changed if part of this character and it's execution is the audience's job. To a degree that's true for movie, too, of course. Just not everybody likes Daniel Craig as the new James Bond.

Music is a pretty important part of the Halo experience. Halo 4 starts strong with a great menu music but with the first song on the soundtrack you can literally hear the music crash and burn at around 2m 24s. Beyond this mark you will never hear anything good from the Halo 4 soundtrack ever again.

The Halo 5 soundtrack I liked much more. Sure not one for the history books, but I'd say here the hit-miss rate is about 50-50.

With Halo Infinite - based on the stage presentations - things are looking dire. Where older games like Half-Life 2 or Halo CE let things happening organically and accepted the chance that players might not look at important events while they happen, newer games will hand-hold you, force music onto you, force character dialogue upon you, etc. All in the search for "epicness" because that is what corporate manager types think players seek in games.

Last edited:
It was just Halo by the numbers. That why I was surprised that so many people believed Halo Infinite will release on time and will be a great game. The studio didn’t proof that they are capable until now to create something truly great and just copied before what was already there. Sure Halo Infinite could turn out to be great, but it was surely not when Microsoft finally recognized what it is currently and decided to bring in some talent to fix it.

WorldHero

Halo 4 was fine. It was just negative blowback from the Bungie split. The campaign was coherent and took some risks. The multiplayer was solid. Graphics were impressive for a X360 title.
Halo 5 was terrible. Primarily due to the campaign. The entire premise of hunting down Master Chief as Locke was basically non existent. Ruined the Locke character that could've been something really special. The squad gameplay was underused. Multiplayer gameplay was amazing but no Big Team Battle focus hurt a lot with the ugly Forge maps. The graphics were also ugly on the original XB One release.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Halo 4 was decent for me. Some cool ideas, and still felt Halo enough. Beautiful graphics, too.

Halo 5 was not good, the story was all over the place.

Robb

Gold Member
I'm mostly a single-player guy and I thought Halo 4 was great.

The Halo 5 campaign felt like it was all over the place though. I hope Infinite turns out to be a more focused experience.

Well Halo 4 had a strong story but the campaign was limited in scope. Everything was too constrained and hemmed in, plus the enemies weren't as fun to fight. Multiplayer had some COD inspired features but it was the maps which were lacking.

Halo 5 had an awful story, they tried to open up the levels from 4 but ended up making it more vertical and it didn't work. The enemies were better but still not as fun as previous Halo's. Multiplayer plays brilliantly but the maps although better were still lacking.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I hate the Halo 4 story because I disagree with taking the story to the Forerunners. The Forerunners, imo, were better left enigmatic, and exposing them like they did just diminishes their value. If these guys were truly "such an advanced race," then how the -blam!- am I killing them with this DMR? And don't give me the crap that these are Prometheans and not Forerunners - they're constructs made by the Forerunners specifically for killing. If anything, they should be BETTER at killing than the actual Didact, in individual skill at least. I'm sure the Didact is a brilliant tactical leader... even if he was a complete idiot in the story.

Chief and Cortana's relationship elaborated in Halo 4 was, imo, far more interesting. As the longest-running characters and Cortana being the one with (arguably) the most personality in the story, it's nice to see Chief trying to heal Cortana and just seeing their close-knit relationship slowly fall apart as Cortana dies. It's actually painful seeing Cortana literally emotionally and physically breaking down, and seeing Chief unable to respond emotionally since he's, for the past couple decades, been conditioned not to. His whole sequence at the end of the story was to basically show that he was trying to deal with Cortana's death like he did everything else: stoicism, and it wasn't exactly working that time.

As for the Multiplayer... eh, it's alright. Personally, I don't care, since I always have my Sprint with me now to use, and having to always spawn with a DMR makes me happy. I understand that some of the skill has been sucked away, but I still get into enjoyable DMR duels every now and again.

And if I see anyone using an Assault Rifle, I just laugh. Hard. It's really sad.

They really should fix the fight scene in Halo 5 (along with most of the campaign let's be honest) to be more accurate to the difference between Locke and Chief. Chief is so far beyond a typical human, even a seasoned Spartan IV, that he would have been able to telegraph every move they made. John was so advanced he perceived things in slow motion.

Top Bottom