• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was Media Molecule thinking with their Move tech demo?

kairu

I would definitely do the sculpting part. Could be cool if you can model, rig, animate, and cut animations and stuff and share them on youtube or whatev. I think I could be into that.

They said it was shor in one take.

The PS4Eye can track at 240FPS at it's lowest resolution & 60FPS at 1280 x 800 so I would just chalk it up to the tracking just being that good.

The tracking fidelity and the delays from transmission, processing and application of that tracking data to procedural rigs are entirely different issues. It's entirely possible that it's instant, but it could still be an unedited take where they've delayed the camera footage as much as any processing delay.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I will give them the benefit of doubt, but all I saw was a proof of concept, not a game.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The musical play thing was completely dynamic, being acted out by actors real-time with their wands as puppetry tools. They were able to rig their own models and bind the Move's buttons to puppet actions (strumming the guitar) with procedurally handled walking animations. The guitar player's spine was 1:1 mapped to the move wand. It's not a music game. It was a demo of puppetry.

that would be impressive if it were true. i was assuming that the music was predetermined

onQ123

The tracking fidelity and the delays from transmission, processing and application of that tracking data to procedural rigs are entirely different issues. It's entirely possible that it's instant, but it could still be an unedited take where they've delayed the camera footage as much as any processing delay.

Have you ever used the PlayStation Move controller? the tracking is actually faster than the PlayStation Eye at 60FPS on the PS3, now it's on a much more powerful console & the PS4 is supposed to have a head tracking chip & a device (PlayStation Move/DS4) tracking chip

20130041648-7+small.jpg

& on another note no one notice how it cut the background out from around the people.

I can see this being big if people can make their own movies & share them online all from the PS4.

Lijik

Thought it looked neat though I dont get how animating the sculptures works.
Dont get the people saying that this was the worst or it was a "fail" on MMs part though. At worst the tech looks really interesting which is more than I can say for Stillzone with its gameplay that you could find in literally any average fps game from the past six years

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I think it's a mistiake to write off this title so soon. It's obviously easy when we have traditional games that appeal to the majority of GAF, but the idea has a Minecraftesque appeal that could catch on. The social part of it alone will get people to create some fantastic "dreams."

Fusebox

Banned
I thought the music part was great fun. It wasn't informative in any way but I enjoyed it, it broke the conference up nicely.

pakkit

Banned
Definitely needs more explanation for me to get excited as an idea. But assuming the 3D sculpting is as intuitive as MM would have you believe, this could easily become something big as an animation/videogame tool. I'm having pipe dreams of a large shared database of sculptures that can be used to make user-created games.

Mully

I think Sony asked them to present because they're the game press' darlings. MM didn't have anything to say, but Sony hoped that the audience would eat it up anyways.

Robertto

Neo Member
that was some wadja shit right there.

media molecule seems to have spent a great deal of time making something i will never use, but good for them, i hope their having fun.

Spazznid

I absolutely loved it. More ways to create and share and music levels are very popular in LBP. This is right down my alley.

suggestive

Put me in the camp of those who loved it. It was the most touching and joyful part of the entire presentation. It looked like "play," rather than "gameplay." It looks like the kind of thing that would be really enjoyable if you have a creative group of friends. I can see leaving the sculpting thing on in the background when we're drinking together and seeing what we make. The dream/movie part looks AMAZING if you have the right people for it, who aren't afraid to perform a bit.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
media molecule seems to have spent a great deal of time making something i will never use, but good for them, i hope their having fun.
You may not use these tools, but you may very well use the game levels created from them...

I laughed at it, for all the wrong reasons. I guess it's better than showing a new LBP game though. Hopefully they're moving on to something better.

Agreed, they absolutely know how to give a game charm, I would just like to see them apply that to something with more dynamic gameplay. Keep user creation as a feature though, maybe just make it more streamlined.

It honestly looked fake as fuck. There's no way those characters were doing what they did just because of the gestures the players made.

The move does have buttons you know. If you look closely you see they were pressing them to control the characters in addition to the movements on the controller.

Loxley

I really think some of you are making a bigger stink out of this than it deserved. Sure, it wasn't abundantly clear just what the hell they were trying to show or say with that demo, but I certainly don't think it was the train-wreck/embarrassment that it's being made out to be.

I actually really, really liked it. I didn't even think of it as a crappy motion control demo but another aspect to MM's play, create and share mentality. Seemed more about merging real and digital together seamlessly. I mean, I can see the potential in something like this.

With the entire sharing aspect of the PS4, someone (an actual sculptor, even) could literally record them sculpting a creation and sharing it with the world as it happens. They provide you with a bunch of tools and materials, fabrics, etc and the player just does what they want with it. If the player actually has the ability to create scene like that and play it with friends and have that shared over the PS4, it could be really unique with a wide array of people.

I thought it was actually kind of neat. I admire their passion for that type of thing.

olimpia84

Instead of focusing on LBP we got this. IMO, worst part of the conference, even more so due to the fact that they didn't use Ravi Drums for the music section.

onQ123

I would imagine they set it up like that on purpose for presentation.

it's a feature

"PlayStation®4 Eye
PlayStation®4 Eye, a newly developed camera for PS4 incorporates two high-sensitive cameras that have wide-angle lenses with 85-degree diagonal angle views which can recognize the depth of space precisely. This enables PlayStation®4 Eye to cut out the image of player from background, or to grasp players’ position in front and behind, further broadening the ways to enjoy games. Incorporated four microphones are also capable of accurate sound detection and source origination. In addition, users will be able to login to their PS4 with face recognition and are capable of using their own body movements or voices to enjoy games more intuitively. Furthermore, PlayStation®4 Eye senses the color of DUALSHOCK®4’s light bar to judge the positions of multiple players, and set characters in the same positions or let a character talk to a particular player, enabling players to enjoy games in new way. PlayStation®4 Eye also supports PlayStation®Move motion controller. It detects the motion of PS Move more precisely, and reflects players’ in-game motion more accurately than ever.
SCE will announce new details of PS4 and its robust lineup of games from 3rd party developers and publishers, the independent gaming community and SCE Worldwide Studios, as well as further enhancements to the entire PlayStation ecosystem between now and the holiday 2013 launch."

wrowa

When they've shown the Move controller after a lenghty introduction, I was like "wtf is this shit".

When they've showed of the modelling part, I changed my mind to "That's pretty cool, actually."

And then they had to ruin everything with Wii Music 2.

Tan

If this was some supported downloadable thing that I can just mess around with, I would be totally into it.

whitehawk

Banned
I thought it was cool. Keep in mind it's just a tech demo. They're just exploring possibilities with the PS4. These may not become real products. (Although I expect these ideas to make their way to the PS4).

awa64

Banned
They could have done a better job of explaining what was going on, but I've watched it a few times and both the sculpting and the puppetry seem really, really cool.

Duffyside

Banned
WOW at the negativity in here.

First of all, they stated pretty clearly this was just an insight into their creative process and some proof of concepts, NOT a demo of their next game per se.

Second of all... how are people not excited at the prospect of this? It's like LBP, but in three dimensions. People can potentially create entire spaces that people can explore and experience. That's... unbelievably exciting, if they can pull it off. It's... like Inception world-creation, but probably only dealing on the scale of a house rather than a whole city.

Still, I'd LOVE to see what people can come up with with these tools. To walk around someone's dream home, or their version of the Harry Potter castle, or their Star Trek space ship, or whatever the heck people make. Truly exciting ideas.

Deband

I have to say when I saw Mm I thought this is gonna be good. Then I just read Gaf while the showed that crap. Dunno what they were thinking.

cakefoo

You guys think Sony went up to MM, and told them, "Hey you guys, we need something for the Move, or people are going to think we've retired it!"

It was the only Move game shown, wasn't it? The whole thing seems a little off to me.
Seems off to you? They didn't go into much detail over the light on the front of the DS4 or the touchpad or the stereo camera either... that doesn't mean they aren't going to be major components of the system. System? Wait, the console? They didn't show that either.

Limanima

I'm not exactly sure what was that, but I liked it.
My guess is it's some kind of game, where the environments and characters are modeled using the move.
I think those puppets used in the video clip were modeled with the move, and also the set where the guitar is lying.
Maybe some platformer similar to LBP but in 3D instead of a side view.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
WOW at the negativity in here.

Second of all... how are people not excited at the prospect of this? It's like LBP, but in three dimensions. People can potentially create entire spaces that people can explore and experience. That's... unbelievably exciting, if they can pull it off. It's... like Inception world-creation, but probably only dealing on the scale of a house rather than a whole city.

Yeah I would love a 3d platformer from MM. Something like a 3d mario game with tons of user created content. Maybe a claymation aesthetic. They have done cloth and paper in LBP and tearaway. A 3d claymation game could be fun and endearing.

I also think move will be more popular this generation. With the Eye already boxed with every PS4 the cost of a move wand cant be that much. If it were less than $30 I would probably buy one just to make levels in whatever MM game turns out to be.

shibbs

This is the only thing that looked really lame in the conference. But we'll have to wait for more details I guess.

cakefoo

Have you ever used the PlayStation Move controller?
All the PS Move games to date that capture the player on the webcam and augment virtual objects into their hands (Start the Party, Eye Pet, Wonderbook, etc) delay the video feed to sync it with the augmented reality elements.

Sure, the new hardware will likely have improved latency, but let's not pretend the MM video was any kind of indicator of just how latency-free it will be.

onQ123

All the PS Move games to date that capture the player on the webcam and augment virtual objects into their hands (Start the Party, Eye Pet, Wonderbook, etc) delay the video feed to sync it with the augmented reality elements.

Sure, the new hardware will likely have improved latency, but let's not pretend the MM video was any kind of indicator of just how latency-free it will be.

False you must have been playing on a laggy TV because I'm trying it with Start the party right now on a monitor & there is no delay to sync the video with the augmented reality.

the sensors in the PlayStation Move is faster than the PlayStation Eye if anything it would be the tracking of the move being slowed down to sync with the PlayStation Eye video feed.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I thought it was genius to be honest

It was, people are just being overly critical. It was the best part of the conference for me as well. 3D sculpting a whole world for others to explore with no set graphical style? Holy fucking crap. Stop putting so much emphasis on the music part at the end guys, this thing was actually rather mind blowing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm really not sure what this is about, but it excites me to see something I couldn't recognise. If it's a broader thing than just a sculpt tool - and there was mention of putting together 'game levels' - then that's something I'd like to see expanded on next time around.

Top Bottom