• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was Media Molecule thinking with their Move tech demo?

megalowho

I would do some virtual sculpting. I would not put on a puppet rock show with my buds. Could be interesting, depending on what the endgame is.

watershed

Banned
The graphics look quite nice but I'm not sure I understand what is going to make this a big hit. I know the presenter stressed simple over and over but it either looks like it will be a lot more complicated or end up like Wii Music.

If this tech demo ends up becoming an actual product it seems like it will be less of a game and more like Flipnote for the dsi or other animation apps.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Shit was hilariously bad lol

i0kgysX2mrLHv.gif

wsippel

Banned
Funny as hell considering zbrush is production software, priced as such, and isn't user friendly in the way moving your wand in precise 3d space seems to be. They are not competing products. This is to zbrush as LBP2 is to UDK.
It's the same tech, and the guy was trying to sell the tech itself as revolutionary. It isn't. Well, it was, but that was years ago. I'd also argue that a 2D tablet is actually much better suited for such a tool. Precision and tactile feedback and all. The idea as a whole has potential, though - if they manage to make it easy enough to use.

Ummm, that is a huge innovation. As is free form creating with something that isn't a mouse, keyboard, button, or analog stick.
You typically use Zbrush/ Mudbox/ BodyPaint/ whatever with tablets, not mouse or keyboard. Doesn't get much more natural.

MDSLKTR

The only thing I liked about that segment is the confirmation that the ps move will still be supported on the ps4, here's hoping killzone uses it again, the controls in the 3rd were masterful with it. Other then that the whole media molecule part was worthless.

You typically use Zbrush/ Mudbox/ BodyPaint/ whatever with tablets, not mouse or keyboard. Doesn't get much more natural.

When I use zbrush my hand is all over practically every button on my keyboard and tablet. It takes fucking donkeys years to get proficient at it. Holding down the button to "draw" in real 3d space (instead of essentially thinking in UVs as with zbrush) looks a hell of a lot more intuitive, especially for creating full models (which almost necessitates delving into zspheres/dynamesh or modelling in entirely different software).

cakefoo

It's the same tech, and the guy was trying to sell the tech itself as revolutionary. It isn't.
You say they were passing the tech off as revolutionary, but that's simply wrong. Media Molecule are making these tools accessible and fun, that's the headline.

Koomaster

Just waiting till they make a game where you have to make the game yourself. 'Heres dumbed down versions of the tools we use, do it yourself.' 'Do It Yourself: The Game' Experience all the joys and frustrations of making your own game and hope others download it. Also you don't get paid. Enjoy!

OutToLunch

Neo Member
Absolutely day 1 for me if I buy the PS4. Naysayers be damned, these guys are incredibly talented and make powerful tools that anyone can use. Can't wait to see what communities spring up from this game / software...

Izayoi

Banned
The modeling part was cool. It would be nice if they let people make models and them have them printed with a 3D printer.

The rest of the presentation was less than impressive, though... Hopefully there's actually some kind of gameplay potential with whatever this was.

pcostabel

Gold Member
I thought it was awesome, especially the animation part. Controlling the characters like puppets is a brilliant idea. Making animation is the hardest part of creating CG movies. If MM figured out a way to create performances in real time, they will make machinima accessible to everyone. Still not sure how much of it was predefined (clearly the song was prerecorded) but hopefully you can assign buttons to different wires controlling various body parts and create predefined interactions with the objects in the environment. Very excited about it.

Platy

The 3D model part was awesome .... but how that turned into Wii Music meets puppetearing ... that was BADLY explained.

Meier

Yeah, I thought it was bizarre. That is not what I imagine myself and my friends doing for fun.

I was streaming the video on my phone during the drive home and my fiancee was explaining some of the happenings when we weren't at stop lights (listened to audio through the bluetooth connection) and she was so confused at the dancing bit. She said essentially this exact same thing. Who would do that? Honestly no one would. It was a weird segment.

Everything looked like it was made out of poo. Seemed strange to bring out the Move controllers for a new system but I get the feeling this will be a little throwaway app and not MM's first full fledged PS4 project.

I'm assuming this can become LBP 3D Land, but the presentation was just off.

It was also weird to see the Move at all, seems like they are going to continue selling it as an add-on, in which case the support will be split, in which case I feel bad that Mm is making this and not using their talents for something the core PS4 buyer can enjoy.

Let's just wait and see what they turn it into. Do love them, but was expecting something much more bigger/finished

Utterly amazed so few see the potential this has.

Yeah, I'd guess all the talk about "recording your dream" threw people off.

If they said: We are taking LBP to the next level, now you can easily* model/texture/animate everything to produce your own interactive/realtime animations or games.
People would get it.
Or they are incredibly dense and will continue to ask why Zbrush had a baby with Wii Music.

*easy if you actually have a bit of training with clay and 3d space interaction, or else it will always look like blobs and poo.

jett

D-Member
I don't know what they were thinking, but I sure know what I was thinking, and I have always thought. Those people don't know how to design games.

hwy_61

Banned
You guys think Sony went up to MM, and told them, "Hey you guys, we need something for the Move, or people are going to think we've retired it!"

It was the only Move game shown, wasn't it? The whole thing seems a little off to me.

anddo0

I'm becoming very wary of MM... LBP is great. I like play share and create, but show me something new. The create an angle is getting old.

It may have been better to have shown the animations moving independently first, then splice the footage with another of the users with the move controllers to make the message clearer.

However, I think they were really trying to push the whole Share feature, and wanted to show all the options that may be possible with the editor. Not the best of moves, but understandable after thinking about it.

Vinci

Danish
I think the sculpting aspect of it was pretty damned great, actually, and I feel there could definitely be a lot of appeal there for a wide audience depending on how accessible it ends up being.

At least it was different.

Let's see if I recall, the MC said this next portion of presenters are not presenting games but creative ideas. He then introduce the Heavy Rain producer who talked about tech specifics and how they have advanced. He went on to introduce MM who talked about the creative process and how they would like to do something special in that realm.

What did we get?

Zbrush Tools, that will allow you to create in realtime via PSMove also you can interact with your creation with friends.

At not one point did they say hey look at our new game. What they presented were creation tools for the artsy person.

And this is why I don't understand the ridicule, given the context of the presentation.

Ploid 3.0

It will be a tool that they can include in their next play create share game. Something where you won't have to cut up blocks with a analog to make your flat characters and environment. It will make LBP3 or whatever have even better Jurassic Park machinima.

People that don't want to sculpt can choose from a pool of items other people sculpted and include it in their levels. Like someone will be king at making TF2 hats, and others will like his creator profile (think skyrim modders on Nexus) and use his stuff, giving him credit in their levels.

yurinka

You model your own objects/characters.
You most likely define their skeletons (must have basic animations).
You share your models.
You build scenarios.
You "animate" as puppets (notice the move controller positions and button pressing...), interacting with objects.

It seems like a further expansion to what they attempted with Little Big Planet, although no gameplay (rule/goal setting, mechanics) were shown. It may not have any of those, and just be a quite deep tool to make animations (given LBP had quite the large following of 'video makers', with sackboys dancing and storytelling).

It was pretty simple even if he didn't say much.
I also understood this. I see a lot of potential specially for creative people like artists. Seems way more powerful and aparently easier to build stuff than in LBP. Can't wait to see more, seems really interesting.

But I understand that as always dumb people wouldn't like it because it doesn't feature guns and bald barking marines.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I liked it a lot. It was probably the first time I've seen Move used in a non-stupid way. I don't see it appealing to more than people who like to create stuff though, but I appreciated them teasing technology that might potentially find it's way into a 3D platformer version of LBP.

The bit at the end was kinda silly, but the rest of it was top notch and one of the highlights of the conference. Maybe that's why people didn't like it; one of the best parts of that entire conference was mostly a product of old technology.

But you ignore the fact that it's all moving in sync with no delay.

Either it actually operates with imperceptible lag (entirely possible) or they just delayed the footage so it was in sync (in order to push the point and not have everyone focusing on the desyncronization).

onQ123

Either it actually operates with imperceptible lag (entirely possible) or they just delayed the footage so it was in sync (in order to push the point and not have everyone focusing on the desyncronization).

They said it was shot in one take.

The PS4Eye can track at 240FPS at it's lowest resolution & 60FPS at 1280 x 800 so I would just chalk it up to the tracking just being that good.

Top Bottom