• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the N64 game with the overall best graphics?

PtM

Banned
Beetle Adventure Racing blew me away. I rented it as a last resort, as I'd already played everything else at my local video store. I'm expecting some terrible licensed racing game and instead I'm doing huge jumps through a volcano, with dinosaurs and branching paths. Holy balls that game was great and looked impressive as hell!
It started dev as a NFS.

Would be good if most of these weren't emulator screenshots.

N64 era was vaseline-vision. I was impressed at the time but no way did the games look anywhere near what is being shown in most of this thread.

Mario 64 is the one that holds up pretty well for me, simple palette and not too heavy on the textures made it look pretty clean.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Perfect Dark just slightly wins over World Driver. No pop-in, reflections, lighting, environment textures, rain effects, snow effects, smoke effects, motion blur, bullet sparks, tons of objects with consistent blood stains and bullet holes, tons of voice acting for a non disc game, and more. It was the most impressive game I've ever seen on that console graphically(and gameplay wise) and the very reason it held up better graphically than other N64 games when it was remade for XBL.

My only gripe is that the XBL version/Xbox one version wasn't released on other consoles or PC. The online community didn't stay alive long enough on that game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I definitely agree that Turok, Star Fox 64, and Conker were some of the best.

I was also really impressed with Forsaken:

https://youtu.be/DOo-TN-k0CA

and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon:

https://youtu.be/qaTP0EHX5X8
Forsaken on the PSX is the version that is most impressive. The N64 version looks fine but is missing content and is still only 30fps.

The PSX version, however, includes the entirety of the single player game that is present on the PC and, more importantly, actually runs at 60fps. Seriously. It's one of the most impressive games on the system as a result of its high frame-rate. Texture warping is certainly present but the developers did a good job of minimizing it will maintaining visuals similar to the PC version.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's conker, and I thought Jet Force Gemini was ugly even when it was released. Especially after they changed the art direction.

Peltz

To all of you saying Super Mario 64 is the best looking N64 game of all time I say: bullshit!

Are you telling me a launch game from 1996 was where the whole console peaked? Im sorry but that's objectively incorrect.

Yes SM64 looks great but its not the one with the best graphics all around.
Bullshit free... I do think it looks the best in motion with its unmatched animation and clean texture design.

dark10x

To all of you saying Super Mario 64 is the best looking N64 game of all time I say: bullshit!

Are you telling me a launch game from 1996 was where the whole console peaked? Im sorry but that's objectively incorrect.

Yes SM64 looks great but its not the one with the best graphics all around.
Bullshit huh?

The reason SM64 looks so good is due to its restraint and balance. The presentation is very consistent, the animation is excellent from start to finish, and the frame-rate is very steady.

Most of the other more "impressive" N64 games make huge sacrifices in one of those areas. Whether it's an incredibly low frame-rate, bad animation, or ugly assets...they wind up looking worse overall, I feel.

NiGHTS into dreams has better animation than Mario 64.
Nah. NiGHTS does look nice in motion but...I think you need only look at the running animation as the children to see the difference. It's inconsistent. Some aspects look great, others...not so much. Mario 64 is the complete package and is completely buttoned up from top to bottom. One of the most visually consistent games of that era.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Perfect Dark for texture details, Conker for character animation, Turok 3 for nailing lipsynced cutscenes, and Banjo-Tooie for its sheer scale.

Krejlooc

Banned
Nah. NiGHTS does look nice in motion but...I think you need only look at the running animation as the children to see the difference. It's inconsistent. Some aspects look great, others...not so much. Mario 64 is the complete package and is completely buttoned up from top to bottom. One of the most visually consistent games of that era.

You're going to judge NiGHTS animation based on the running animation of the kids? The thing you see less than a few seconds of in every stage? And not the literally hundreds of mid-air animations that are seemlessly stitched together in real time when flying?

Yah, NiGHTS into dreams has much more impressive animation, especially given that you can't tell where any animation begins or ends.

dark10x

You're going to judge NiGHTS animation based on the running animation of the kids? The thing you see less than a few seconds of in every stage? And not the literally hundreds of mid-air animations that are seemlessly stitched together in real time when flying?

Yah, NiGHTS into dreams has much more impressive animation, especially given that you can't tell where any animation begins or ends.
I'm judging it by consistency but...honestly, I still think Mario's animation work looks more natural than anything in NiGHTS (though I certainly think both look great). I guess we'll just have to disagree on this point as it's pretty subjective and I don't want to slam NiGHTS.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm judging it by consistency but...honestly, I still think Mario's animation work looks more natural than anything in NiGHTS (though I certainly think both look great). I guess we'll just have to disagree on this point as it's pretty subjective and I don't want to slam NiGHTS.

Absolutely nothing in Mario 64 looks as fluidly animated as the entirety of Soft Museum, and that goes for both the level animation itself and NiGHTS' stunt work with the trick ring.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
From purely technical standpoint the work Factor 5 did on the N64 might be even more impressive than Rare's stuff.

Rogue Squadron and Indiana Jones and Infernal Machine might not be classics but they really really pushed the hardware. Factor 5 also had the best sound tech on the machine.
86 posts in, and the only mention.

I guess I can't blame you guys, as no one really played it, but really. The game looked even better than the PC version.

Betty

Banned
At the time Donkey Kong 64's mine cart segments looked fantastic.

tumblr_nsli6rcHkx1s3uawvo1_500.gif

Dingens

Definitely Conker for me.

After watching the developer play through on Youtube (will it ever get finished?) they talk about how much they actually to work with in comparison to what they actually delivered.

Pretty amazing stuff.

It's been two years and I'm still waiting for them to come back to finish it :/
maybe they need more views?
if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbRUl7dkRVPKlYiUq4TmEaQ/videos
a few guys of the original staff are playing through the game, giving really interesting insights (great mighty poo sing-along with the original voice actor included)

Paz

Absolutely nothing in Mario 64 looks as fluidly animated as the entirety of Soft Museum, and that goes for both the level animation itself and NiGHTS' stunt work with the trick ring.

I don't really know which game I prefer but I think there's a case to be made for both games leveraging their systems strengths, tons of fantastic squash & stretch style animation in Mario 64 which looks best with the stability the 64 brought compared to the saturn, and NiGHTS has some amazingly complex linking flight animations as well as interactive environments.

Minustephen

Neo Member
FINALLY some love for JFG!! I always thought the N64 and Gamecube went under-recognized for their graphical prowess. Friends always said, "Look how much better PS1 is!" and I just didn't see it. It certainly did things better in its own right, but an N64 game always looked better constructed.

Surprised to see Conker as constant winner.

Celine

Forsaken on the PSX is the version that is most impressive. The N64 version looks fine but is missing content and is still only 30fps.

The PSX version, however, includes the entirety of the single player game that is present on the PC and, more importantly, actually runs at 60fps. Seriously. It's one of the most impressive games on the system as a result of its high frame-rate. Texture warping is certainly present but the developers did a good job of minimizing it will maintaining visuals similar to the PC version.
I dunno.
Seems it has the same graphical issues common on PS1 like jittering graphics and visible seams.

ghibli99

Gotta agree with the Paper Mario mentions, mostly because it DOESN'T look like an N64 game. The system was rarely home to any truly beautiful-looking games. Muddy, low poly, fog, low framerate, etc. Really makes me want to play that gem again. It's my favorite of the series.

That being said, I also agree that Rare did some of the best work on the system, and DKR remains one of my favorites. IIRC, it looked really nice too with bright colors and lots of personality.

Nosgotham

never understood the love for Jet Force Gemini. im a huge Rare fan. i thought the game was a mess back when it was released and it sure doesnt hold up any better. visually it has no theme, it looks way too ''busy'' i guess but nothing looks above average. they were way too ambitious.

my choice is Star Wars: Rogue Squadran , Perfect Dark or Paper Mario. Paper Mario holds up better than any game from that era but i was more impressed at the time with the RS and PD

jett

D-Member
The N64 peaked with Wave Race 64 as far as I'm concerned. It's still such a pleasant-looking game (especially in motion, obviously). Unlike most of the hideous library. Some games might have better textures and whatnot, but look at Jet Force Gemini, aesthetically it's just ugly as hell. Sorry OP.

Kikorin

Probably Conker or Pokémon Stadium 2. But recently I've played F-Zero in 4 players split screen and is impressive how stable is the framerate, absolutly perfect. Also in single player, with 30 "cars" on the circuit, is really good and always fluid (60fps?).

AntMurda

The N64 peaked with Wave Race 64 as far as I'm concerned. It's still such a pleasant-looking game (especially in motion, obviously). Unlike most of the hideous library. Some games might have better textures and whatnot, but look at Jet Force Gemini, aesthetically it's just ugly as hell. Sorry OP.

Wave Race 64 was very charming from a visual and aesthetic point of view. But again the three games I posted are the epitome of fidelity and frame rate on the N64 (blowing away PSX easily).

1. World Driver Championship
2. Shadowman
3. Turok 3 / Turok: Rage Wars

Then are a few other games like Forsaken that are a notch below. Again, the RARE and Factor 5 games have terrible frame rates and only look good in pictures or nostalgic memories.

Balb

Probably Conker or Pokémon Stadium 2. But recently I've played F-Zero in 4 players split screen and is impressive how stable is the framerate, absolutly perfect. Also in single player, with 30 "cars" on the circuit, is really good and always fluid (60fps?).

The Pokemon Stadium 2 models looks amazing (especially with the expansion pak). Admittedly there isn't a whole lot going on on screen at any given time but still.

Celine

Then are a few other games like Forsaken that are a notch below. Again, the RARE and Factor 5 games have terrible frame rates and only look good in pictures or nostalgic memories.
Banjo Kazooie is still playable and surely ahead of Super Mario 64 from a technical point of view.

Golnei

Special mention Top Gear Overdrive.
For a console racing game in 1998 it looked very very good.
Maybe even the best looking console racing game upon that time.

Compared to World Driver Championship, it doesn't have as many polygons on screen or as good quality textures however the dynamic lightning system is advanced (for the time) and superior to WDC.
No wonder it looks to good, Ezra Dreisbach (main programmer behind Lobotomy incredible Saturn games) worked on it.

https://youtu.be/EHRCalhiJG0?t=8m54s

The lighting was pretty great there - in certain situations, it makes the texture quality look like a deliberate artistic choice rather than a limitation.

Also, I didn't even realise I had nostalgia for the music in that game...

Balb

Banjo Kazooie is still playable and surely ahead of Super Mario 64 from a technical point of view.

Yep, B-K looks and plays great to this day. The person you quoted might have been thinking about games like Conker, which had really laggy controls for whatever reason.

I would say Conker's Bad Fur Day is definitely the best looking title on the Nintendo 64. Behind it would be Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask.

D.Lo

WTF OP, Jet Force Gemini is hideous.

Graphics can mean many things, it's easier to have better graphics if a game has more limited scope by design (eg Fighting games that only need a single enclosed arena). And performance is part of graphics.

In real life, I think Banja Kazooie. The best balance of graphics, scale and performance (framerate). Tooie's framerate was too bad.

Other top games: Majora's Mask, Rayman 2, and Indiana Jones. I never played World Driver Championship, though it looks good, racing games are (obviously) by design on rails and can do more stuff than full 3d worlds.

Raw graphics without respect to performance, Turok 3 and Conker I think. Also Rogue Squadron and Battle for Naboo.

SpartanN92

Banned
I was really young during the N64 days (born in '92) but I remember the console well.

Pokemon Stadium 2 was a standout in my opinion.

pokemon-stadium-2-screenshot-001-280px.jpg

fernoca

Conker for sure.
Turok 3, Rogue Squadron also.

That's outside games like Super Mario 64 holding well, the textures and characters in Conker combined with the voice overs and the music, made for an impressive package.

Props to Resident Evil 2. They crammed all that in the cartridge and the game looked a bit better too.

Thud

Paper Mario looks amazing, but it didn't scream this is N64.

Conker and Majora's Mask looked really good for N64 games. Mario 64 had the best physics. Jet Force Gemini doesn't look and play that well as other Rare games.

AppleBlade

Besides the technical achievement, I also think RE2 holds up a lot better than many 3D games. I played it fairly recently and a lot of the prerendered graphics are detailed and pretty to look at even today.

The controls didn't ages quite as well thought but it just takes minutes to get used to.

prag16

Banned
Has to be Conker. To me, games from that generation have aged worse than those from the generations that preceded and succeeded it. But that is an exception.

For honorable mentions, I'd say Rogue Squadron, Perfect Dark, and in its own way, Super Mario 64.

Top Bottom