• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the worst video game reboot of all time?

Worst video game reboot of all time?

• Bomberman act zero (2006)

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • Alone in the Dark (2008)

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Twisted Metal (2012)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Syndicate (2012)

• Strider (2014)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shinobi (2002)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Need for Speed (2015)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Thief (2014)

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • Shadow Run (2007)

• Bionic Commando (2009)

• Medal of Honor (2010)

• DmC: Devil May Cry (2013)

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Sonic Boom rise of lyric (2014)

• Legend of Spyro (2006)

• Skylanders: Spyros Adventure (2011)

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Turok (2008)

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Tomb Raider (2013)

• Castlevania Lord's of Shadow (2010)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Any Silent Hill after Silent Hill 4 (Name in a reply)

• Splatterhouse (2010)

• Simcity (2013)

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Mirrors Edge Catalyst (2016)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Star Fox Zero (2016)

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Another not listed

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Any Silent Hill game after 4 is the non stop drizzling shits.
Silent Hill does not belong in this thread. Origins and Homecoming were legitly good games and Downpour is a hidden gem pulled down by it's technical issues. I'd love to play a propper remaster of it.

Silent Hill does not belong in this thread. Origins and Homecoming were legitly good games and Downpour is a hidden gem pulled down by it's technical issues. I'd love to play a propper remaster of it.
Tell that to the fanbase.

Why is Strider 2014 on the list? That game was super fun, action packed.

I liked it but many gaming sites and fans don't for some reason.

You know how consistent reviewers are lol.

Shadow_of_the_Beast_2016_cover.png

That was a shame.

Battletoads reboot is pile of shit )
I didn't even know that came out, I thought it still hadn't released yet lol.

MiguelItUp

I voted Turok as that was the only one I played in this list that I was like, "EEEEESH!"

But I'm sure Bomberman Act Zero is at the top of the list.

As a Splatterhouse fan, the remake could've been so much better as well. Ugh. Same with Twisted Metal! So sad. :(

fatmarco

I'm glad to see Bomberman Act Zero is top, and people didn't act emotionally lol. When you break down the context of it you realise just why it's such a mistake of a game.

FunkMiller

Dude. They were all terrible western retreads of the Japanese originals, with every single one basically wanting to be Silent Hill 2 again. Utterly boring, completely free of any tension or scares, and reliant on by the number storytelling. Had none of the Japanese psychological suspense and weirdness. And that’s without getting into the cheap ass production values. Those games were shit out by Konami to cash in, developed by studios without the skill or talent to do the series justice.

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

xrnzaaas

Syndicate was a good game, but I really didn't like that they switched genres and didn't retain any of the features of the previous games. A proper sequel/reboot of the original Syndicate would be awesome even though we've already got a few spiritual successors of that game over the years.

I truly hate Bethesda's take on the Fallout series. Fallout 1 and 2 are one of my all-time favorites and I had to force myself to finish F3 and F4 once. Only New Vegas was slightly better.

Last edited:

aclar00

Twisted Metal in the list....everything was downhill after 2...989 studios destroyed my beloved series. Black was a decent attempt to bring it back, but failed to recapture the glory.

Also Resident Evil, while 4 was somewhat decent...all the main entries into the series that have rebooted the gameply i couldnt care any less about....i much prefer the Revelations series.

Last, the over the shoulder garbage that was SOCOM Confrontation...for whatever the reason, i just could not get into the off center over the shoulder view. It just took me out to the point i just stopped playing after just a couple hrs total playtime.

Tschumi

People usually didn't bring it up when talking about reboots, and from what I've seen it's not a reboot. Just a bad dev hell game.
Fair enough.

: Thinking :

But you know, so many years after the previous entry, i know it's a sequel but it just seems like it counts as a reboot if they literally have to reboot their whole marketing campaign etc [from floppy] to tell us all about it lol

teezzy

Banned
All 10 of you?

I'm talking about the fan base that never came back after SH2.

It's a rare treat to be able to find joy in things which others do not.

You don't always have to drill your opinion home in every thread until you're blue in the face. It's just a video game forum

keepop

Neo Member
i wanna say that golden axe game for xbox 360 but i don't know if that's more of a sequel or reboot

Rob_27

When Syndicate (2012) was first announced I got excited but then found out it was to be nothing like the original. Bah.

It's a rare treat to be able to find joy in things which others do not.

You don't always have to drill your opinion home in every thread until you're blue in the face. It's just a video game forum
You're out of your mind, that lazy statement doesn't work for Silent hill, it's an infamously low selling franchise with it's fanbase actively smearing the series since SH4. This isn't some franchise that does well on it's own without being mainstream. Less than 90,000 people brought the last major release iirc.

And the games the user quoted said he liked were tarred and despised by most of the fanbase. But you likely didn't have time to read that part before jumping in acting like the voice of reason, and failing.

Go somewhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom