• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the worst video game reboot of all time?

Worst video game reboot of all time?

• Bomberman act zero (2006)

Votes: 46 20.9%
  • Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • Alone in the Dark (2008)

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Twisted Metal (2012)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Syndicate (2012)

• Strider (2014)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shinobi (2002)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Need for Speed (2015)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Thief (2014)

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • Shadow Run (2007)

• Bionic Commando (2009)

• Medal of Honor (2010)

• DmC: Devil May Cry (2013)

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Sonic Boom rise of lyric (2014)

• Legend of Spyro (2006)

• Skylanders: Spyros Adventure (2011)

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Turok (2008)

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Tomb Raider (2013)

• Castlevania Lord's of Shadow (2010)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Any Silent Hill after Silent Hill 4 (Name in a reply)

• Splatterhouse (2010)

• Simcity (2013)

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • Mirrors Edge Catalyst (2016)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Star Fox Zero (2016)

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Another not listed

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

JLB

Banned
My vote goes for Sim City. I am a HUGE fan of the original and 2000, and the absolute shitshow of its release is unforgivable.

Last edited:

Cravis

BQ82PXV.jpg

cFUaWFm.png

IKSTUGA

I skipped most of the obviously terrible reboots like Sonic the Hedgehog, so I have to go with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I think the original God of War games are terribly overrated and LoS is just a cheap GoW knock-off.

SegaShack

I had to vote Star Fox. With the exception of Star Fox 64 3DS, each new entry decides to add some weird gimmick instead of giving players what they want.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Voted for Bomberman, but was between him and Alone in the Dark

Also, Sonic 2006 is not really a reboot. Closest to a reboot that could be argue is Adventure. Is like saying that every new gen Mario game is a reboot, so nope

Kupfer

Soldier of Fortune Payback

I really liked the predecessors at the time, you could tell that the developers really liked what they were creating. Payback was just a cheeky cash grab

The Snake

My only real memory of Rocket Knight was that I was following it on Facebook (which is something people gave a shit about back then) and all these people with profile pics of characters from the then-unreleased game would flood the comments about how amazing the game looked, etc. I called them out for it once, saying they were obviously fake profiles run by the dev team, and they only replied "No." lmao.

Talk about a long-forgotten game, though. Hell, that whole era of digital-only titles is like a wasteland of forgotten junk.

Banned
wait... wtf? people disliked the Shinobi reboot? how? Shinobi and Nightshade are amazing

also Bionic Commando was great too.

people are weird man.

I have to vote for Sonic, that game was supposed to be the NEW SONIC for a new generation, the big second coming of Sonic... and it turned out to be one of the worst AAA games ever made, maybe THE worst

The Snake

wait... wtf? people disliked the Shinobi reboot? how? Shinobi and Nightshade are amazing

also Bionic Commando was great too.

people are weird man.

I have to vote for Sonic, that game was supposed to be the NEW SONIC for a new generation, the big second coming of Sonic... and it turned out to be one of the worst AAA games ever made, maybe THE worst
The only way I can maybe see someone thinking Shinobi PS2 was bad is if they're young and played it late; perhaps it hasn't aged well (I personally haven't played it in a long time) but I can confidently say that when it came out it was a pretty big deal. It got decent reviews, not perfect, but me & the other PS2 kids were pretty damn happy with it.

Shut0wen

10% for dmc? Its a solid game and there are far worser reboots then that game in the list, was a hard choice between sonic 06, alone in the dark and turok but i had to go for turok because man that game had nothing to do with turok at all, atleast alone in the dark had some good design choices while turok they took dinosaur and guns and that was it

GymWolf

Some of the titles on the list were pretty good, strider was a neat little metroidvania and the first tomb raider was not half-bad.

Also shinobi on ps2?! Wtf?

Last edited:

Banned
The only way I can maybe see someone thinking Shinobi PS2 was bad is if they're young and played it late; perhaps it hasn't aged well (I personally haven't played it in a long time) but I can confidently say that when it came out it was a pretty big deal. It got decent reviews, not perfect, but me & the other PS2 kids were pretty damn happy with it.

there's my dreaded "didn't age well" phrase... I don't like that description of games. as all that says is that a game was always bad or mediocre, but people didn't care at the time because either there weren't any better options or their standards were lower back then

but back to the game, the first time I played it was at around 2013, and I loved it.

Last edited:

The Snake

10% for dmc? Its a solid game and there are far worser reboots then that game in the list, was a hard choice between sonic 06, alone in the dark and turok but i had to go for turok because man that game had nothing to do with turok at all, atleast alone in the dark had some good design choices while turok they took dinosaur and guns and that was it

I would say that regardless of how good the game plays, the general disdain the developer(s) had towards the series they were piggybacking on, as well as their attempts to spit in the face of the series' fans, kind of qualifies it. I mean really, the comments about Dante, the ego of the head developer...fuck those guys, man. DmC might play decently well but it's a shit game. I said it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Not sure if it counts but the N.A.R.C. Reboot looked really bad.

The original was about 2 cops with sleeveless shirts driving around in a Ferrari and blasting drug dealers into a bloody mist with a rocket launcher.

They tried to reboot it on PS2 as some serious cop action/adventure drama where you have to deal with drug addiction.

Never tried the reboot because it didn’t interest me whatsoever and it got bad reviews.

sublimit

Banned
Tomb Raider easily. They massacred the IP made it something completely different and then danced on the corpse of its legacy.
Crystal Dynamics hasbeen raping this series ever since 2006. At least now they found something else to rape.They must have got tired banging the same corpse again and again.

Last edited:
I've gotten back into PS2 Shinobi and I think it's aged really well. Controls are crisp as hell and the camera while not quite as good as modern games, is still pretty damn good. (Although it only provides inverted camera controls by default, emulation can fix that) I'd say it's actually aged better than other action games from its time. Still a great game to blast through.

Voted for Bomberman, but was between him and Alone in the Dark

Also, Sonic 2006 is not really a reboot. Closest to a reboot that could be argue is Adventure. Is like saying that every new gen Mario game is a reboot, so nope
Reboot came out of Sega's own mouth.

I think he must mean the OTHER 2002 Shinobi game.
It's been called bad for years, has been on worst reboot lists, and has a 71% on MC.

I personally never played it but it's one of the top games people list as bad so it would apply to the thread.

But I always preferred Strider to Shinobi. So maybe I wouldn't have liked it anyway.

Banned
Most of those listed are not reboots......mostly just a new game using the basic name. Mirrors Edge :Catalyst wasn't, Sonic wasn't.....it was just a new game, Bomberman Act Zero was just a new entry.
Catalyst was a reboot. it literally rebooted the whole story, it even moved the story up to the near future while the original was simply an alternate world where this dystopian city existed

everything about the story and the world was completely redone, down to the fact that Faith's sister isn't a cop anymore that got in trouble (which was the story in the first game). now in Catalyst, Faith and her sister were separated during a riot as kids and haven't seen each other since

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's been called bad for years, has been on worst reboot lists, and has a 71% on MC.

I personally never played it but it's one of the top games people list as bad so it would apply to the thread.

But I always preferred Strider to Shinobi. So maybe I wouldn't have liked it anyway.
It's a super hard game, released before the era of Dark Souls brought that kind of thing back into fashion But it's dope and the fans liked it, and it got a sequel that was also well liked.

In retrospect it's something of a cult classic, in fact.

Last edited:
Anyone answering anything on this list but Bomberman is either new to gaming or trolling. It was godawful in every way and a perfect lesson of what not to do for a reboot.

It's a super hard game, released before the era of Dark Souls brought that kind of thing back into fashion But it's dope and the fans liked it, and it got a sequel that was also well liked.

Nightshade is panned from gamers you sure about the cult?

Banned
Reboot came out of Sega's own mouth.

(most) game critics and (all) review scores are useless, but even with that said... a 71% is... good... and the only actually good classic Shinobi games to begin with were the original first Arcade game and Shinobi 3 on Genesis. every other port, spinoff, Shinobi 2 and all the other things related to Shinobi were pretty mediocre to outright terrible.

and I'm saying this as someone who never played any of them back when they actually released. I played the reboot about 10 years after it launched for the first time... I played Shinobi 1 arcade the first time when it came out on XBLA... and Shinobi 3 I played at around 2001.
so it's not like I judge these games with the rose tinted glasses of a hardcore fan who played and consumed these at the time of release

and I mean, the Shinobi reboot got a sequel, so enough people bought and liked the first one to warrant a "sequel"

tommib

Tomb Raider 2013 was good! Lol
Turok 2008 was pretty disappointing considering how much fun I had with the n64.

Neither are the worst on the list.
I actually voted for tomb raider 2013. I think that for old fans from the 90s, the new trilogy is an abomination. Or maybe I’m wrong because they were all successful. 😭

and I mean, the Shinobi reboot got a sequel, so enough people bought and liked the first one to warrant a "sequel"
This isn't always how games with sequels work, but from what I see in vids the reboot was cheap, so it may have been the case this time of profitable lie sales resulting in a sequel.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This isn't always how games with sequels work, but from what I see in vids the reboot was cheap, so it may have been the case this time of profitable lie sales resulting in a sequel.
I don't think it was cheap, by standards of it's time. It had somewhat simplified visuals because it was optimized to run at 60fps, so that might be what you're clocking.

Last edited:
Halo 4

After this game, almost 10 years of hell and bullshit happened to this golden franchise.

Finally, with the last version of MCC and Infinite, Halo is becoming great again.

Top Bottom