• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst game that has stolen 40+ hours of your life?

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. 150 hours I would never get back and I tried to rush it but thay borked leveling system is driving me up the wall. I'm a committed AC enthusiast but this game drained the fuck out of me. Now I fear for Valhalla when I buy it for the upcoming Steam Sale.

Horizon Forbidden West. What a shit sequel, it's drags and drags and the story pay off is not that great neither. Silens just dies (RIP Lance Reddick, eternal Commander Zavala), and now a global threat is coming to Earth... again?

Idk what kind of bullshit you want me to believe a post-apocalyptic tribal civilization can pull off against an all-devouring advanced technology that, at this point, is basically alien to the humans on Earth. Seriously, I like the premise of the series, I really do but I can't suspend my disbelief to that point. Aloy and all the other humans on earth should be as good as dead the moment Nemesis touches our atmosphere.

SHA

eca.png
I don't understand the picture, is it spoiling?

TES3 Morrowind
Never finished it. Terrible quest log, bland world without actual personality. Nerevarine drivel was one the most boring stories ever told in text boxes and tons of meaningless dialogs with braindead npcs. Its and GTA's success damned us with all the open world garbage we got and get today.

Boiling Point
I enjoyed driving like a madman around in the jungle with the bus. Afaik the first open world first person shooter. Somewhat interesting premise for that, but terrible executioin, barely functioning. When I stopped, CIA or whatever was in a war with some other faction and I could not go further in the main quest due to that.

Demons Souls
I loved half of my playtime, but I also hated the other half. A game (series) that could easily be enjoyable for everyone, but You died is the basic core and fans celebrate it for that backwardness.

Yakuza Zero
It has some few moments were it is funny, but it is a terrible mishmash of nonsense, repetitive and has insanely stretched thin content. Weird characters all around, stupid af story with lots of cringeworthy pseudotwists. I thought I get into it with one of the better ones and not start in release order, but I think I'll skip that series too.

JaksGhost

40 gameplay hours would take me roughly 15 - 20 days to accrue... I would never let something steal that much time from me without an ounce of enjoyment.

Filben

If OP means worst game as in "a really bad game", I gotta say if it's not good after five hours, I stop playing. But if I'm very technical with your phrasing, OP, of worst-40+-hour-game it's probably F1 2012. It wasn't a bad game but from all games that I've played more than 40 hours it is the "worst".

Probably Skyward Sword. It's not really bad, but I just kept waiting and waiting for it to turn into that 9-10/10 game all the reviews proclaimed and it never happened. Finished it once and never played again, my least favorite 3D Zelda by a good margin. I've heard the Switch re-release fixes a few of the issues I had with it but I just can't commit to playing it again -- I'm also very in love with the BOTW / TOTK formula now and not really interested in going back.

Rickyiez

BR games where you can loot for 15minutes just to die from nothing. Worse game genre ever created. I still play Apex Legend though because of friends and the gunfights are really awesome.

But speaking about time stolen, yea definitely the looting and trying to survive aspect

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Roblox. It's like Stockholm Syndrome. Game selection has fallen off a cliff in quality since the mid 2010s but I still stick around for pure nostalgia and trying to find at least ONE unique and interesting game that isn't some content farm overly colorful soulless greedy mush.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
GTA V

Uninteresting story, unlikable characters, on rails mission design. Driving model sucked which is a big problem for game with „auto” in its name. Oh, and modern day California is a lame setting. I vastly preferred IV.

Sojiro

I won't give a game 40+ hours of playtime if I am not enjoying it, fuck that. The only game I can think of that I feel I gave too much time was FFXIII. I gave it just over 10 hours before saying fuck it and being done, and that was more than generous to give it a fair shot.

Fredrik

I don’t play 5 minutes of a game I don’t like. Strange thread.

Biggest time waster is probably AC Valhalla since a save bug sent me back 20+ hours. I enjoyed the game enough to rate it 7/10 but not enough to replay that much time.
I uninstalled it and looked up the ending and Youtube.

Cyberpunk 2077 on release. I put to many hours into that game when it was in a terrible state and ultimately gave up and moved on. Even though with all the fixes I don't have the motivation to start over again.

Vandole

I had completely forgotten about this until I had browsed through more of the entries, but I have a definitive answer. Hometown Story for the 3DS.

It was made by the creator of the original Harvest Moon, who had since been pushed aside by. Natsume teamed up with him after they lost the rights to the game, and had that big Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons split.

Hometown Story was supposed to be their new flagship series. Instead of running a farm, you were going to run a shop, but you'd still have interactions with all the citizens. It all sounded great. And it was the most boring game I've ever played in my life. The whole game was filled with boring characters doing boring things, and running the shop was even more boring than any of that. A couple times it seemed like it was getting good, but inevitably it would just get boring again. My love for Harvest Moon kept me hanging on, hoping that I just wasn't "getting it". But I got it. And boy did it suck.

BossLackey

Gold Member
91fxwMUFKrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

The combat was pretty fun but everything else about it was so bad, specially the story and characters, shit was like anime cringe turned up to 11.

This was one of my big first forays into JRPGs. It was not a good first impression...

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I'm maybe 10 hours into the Last of Us 2 and it feels like I'm 40 hours in and I am struggling to continue. I love the 1st game so much but something about this just feels off. It's slow paced, feels like a collect-a-thon, and the story is really not *clicking* 😉 for me. I hope things pick up because this is in my top 5 biggest let downs ever so far.

Mossybrew

Valhalla is WAY worse.

Yeah I think Valhalla would be my pick. It was fun at first. Then it gradually became just something to do, it was ok. Then it just ... kept going. I had invested so many hours I figured I might as well finish it. But in hindsight the whole second half of that game was just a boring, repetitive slog. It had no business being that long. Not a game I look back on fondly.

mcjmetroid

Fire Emblem: Engage.

Awful awful horrible horrible story. I wanted to like this game a whole lot more than I did but it's the polar opposite to Three Houses. Where one did one thing right, the other did it wrong.

They nailed the gameplay and visuals but everything else....

A.Romero

So you’ve had a perfect record since childhood? I might have enjoyed some games as a child but even I can admit some of them were just average or shitty games back then because I had nothing else to play at the time.

Oh yeah, I've tried a lot of games and I don't like most of them but I seldom spend 10 hours on them, let alone 40.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Battlefield 2042. It was the worst BF in years. I kept playing. Hovercrafts went straight up the side of skyscrapers. I kept playing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Yes, Final Fantasy XII.

It was more than a hundred hours actually. Which is unforgivable.

That game changed my relationship with Square Enix forever.

DeVeAn

This year for me Starfield. I just kept speeding to the end because of NG+ compelled me to finish it. Not even as good as Fallout 4. Bummed me out.

Generic

Okami is so beautiful and so fucking boring at the same time. A game I want to love but good lord, it just never gets out of its own way.
If you look at Gamefaqs all reviews are 9/10 and 10/10. Back then this game was HUGE over gaming communities, everyone considered it an "underrated gem" and demanded Capcom to make a sequel. Yet we are in 2023 and nobody cares about Okami anymore.

If you look at Gamefaqs all reviews are 9/10 and 10/10. Back then this game was HUGE over gaming communities, everyone considered it an "underrated gem" and demanded Capcom to make a sequel. Yet we are in 2023 and nobody cares about Okami anymore.
This'll be Alan Wake 2 in a year. Style over substance is an approach that tends to quickly wear off.

adamosmaki

Ark survival evolved. Can't believe i put solo on that junky piece of s***t nearly 100hours. The only reason I kept playing because there are some really good mods

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have stayed in there searching for fun in some really bad games but if we're talking about the 40+ club that's actually a rare set because it requires a special sort of deception. If a game is truly terrible I'll be out in 5 hours, if it seems like it could be as an action game, maybe 10hrs. With an RPG things usually move slower and plot might make up for it so maybe 20 before I drop it. However there is one clear winner there...

Starfield - 150 hours of frustration and wasted hope

The most deceptive bait-n-obfuscate game of all time. Very particular wording there because a bait-n-switch would make you quit faster. Starfield truly presents itself in such a way that you feel like it is about to open up just around the corner no matter how far you get. You think surely the story is just about to get better, the characters and relationships, the skill trees will become fun after this next barrier, the combat will open up once it allows these abilities and there will be new enemies, the ship battles and shipbuilding will become good, I'll find new things on planets, etc, etc. Just like, surely... SURELY NO ONE WOULD SPEND SO LONG DEVELOPING A LITERALLY ENDLESS PILE OF ABSOLUTE MEDIOCRITY THAT ISN'T EVEN FARMING THEM MICROTRANSACTIONS... and yet that is what they did.

And yet it isn't just mediocre. The GOOD PARTS are mediocre, the things you focus on. Yet all blended up with all the parts you focus on are five hundred trillion little obstacles of design. Everything is incomprehensibly designed to make you stumble over it in trying to do any action you might want to do. A part of your mind thinks, okay, surely this is also some sort of misunderstanding. No one would ever make something to truly shitty and failing at all the most basic things you do literally tens of thousands of times in a playthrough. It must just be unfamiliarity. Once I get more practice I'll see the sense in it, become accommodated to it, whatever. But that never happens. It really is true that everything gets in the way of itself. Nearly every single facet of the game is like a "nailed it" or "you had one job" meme.

This is the only game I have played for 150 hours where my opinion of the game went nowhere but down for the entire 150 hours. It has absolutely destroyed all respect I once had for Bethesda (dev studio not overall as a publisher) and seeing the departures from the company that I have seen do nothing but reinforce that. I hope that somehow in some completely unexpected miracle, the new oversight from Microsoft results in a big turnaround.

Top Bottom