• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Resident Evil 5?

Silky

Banned
RE4 only trumps RE5 in atmosphere and pacing. Otherwise the game is inferior to 5 in nearly every other aspect.

Anth0ny

Well, it was coming off of Resident Evil 4, one of the greatest games ever made, so it was bound to look bad in comparison.

Not to mention the game itself wasn't that great. Mikami's absence definitely hurt the game. The people who made this game clearly didn't know what made RE4 so great, because RE5 is straight up worse than 4 in many aspects. Where RE4 struck the perfect balance between action and survival horror, RE5 went too far in the action direction. The forced co-op and AI is terrible. The list goes on.

Super disappointing game, though it's a masterpiece compared to 6.

DOWN

Banned
It got great reviews, looked very polished, and handled co-op action very well.

The catch is, it just was very action sci-fi, rather than survival horror overall.

Servbot24

Banned
It was a fun game. But it wasn't an impactful game. I didn't turn it off saying "Holy shit that was good". RE4 did that.

Afrocious

It was a terrible RE and did some serious damage to the plot and characters the series was building in the past. Not a bad game though. I still will never forgive them for ruining Spencer. He is the GOAT villain the series ever had and he died in a cut-scene.

What's sad is I don't even remember a single character except for Sheva('s ass in that one cutscene), that soldier dude who was usable in the DLC pack in Mercs, that lady in that dress who used the needle in Mercs, and the joke that became Wesker.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It was a terrible RE and did some serious damage to the plot and characters the series was building in the past. Not a bad game though. I still will never forgive them for ruining Spencer. He is the GOAT villain the series ever had and he died in a cut-scene.

Tbf they did expand that flashback into an awesome DLC episode

JoJoSono

Banned
Nothing. It's a fantastic game. More so than Resident Evil 4 which is overrated.

RE4 only trumps RE5 in atmosphere and pacing. Otherwise the game is inferior to 5 in nearly every other aspect.

Nah. Atmosphere is just one area RE4 beats the crap out of RE5. It really is simply a better game. RE5 simply does no understand RE'4s combat which is built around the tension of not being able to shoot and move. Which because of that positioning becomes relatively important as you have to move in relation your enemies placement and know when it's time to shoot. Which becomes even more tension filled as they keep coming closer and closer in your narrow aiming field. Also aiming is important because of course good aiming is the best way to relive the tension from and an ever approaching enemy. The game then even turns that on it's head when to says that the headshot rule it taught you just leads to evermore tension thanks to the parasites. Add in an awesome mix of weapons that are all very useful in different situations, mostly fantastic level design that feels like it naturally fits and not just levels, and even some item management and you have a game that is far better then 5. At least as a pure single player game.

5 just take's RE5's gameplay and misses the entire nuance of it. There is no passion in 5. It had no ideas. Even the co-op is half assed, offering no unique gameplay situations out of it beyond "oh hold the light while I shoot". It really does nothing with the co-op and since it's so co-op focused it doesn't take in account that some people may want to play single player. Meaning the partner ai is garbage and it feels more like you're babysitting her.

The game simply plays like a RE4 clone honestly. An average tps that even attempts to throw in a lame cover system. It's a game that did'nt understand what RE4 was. RE4 is still very much a horror game, honestly it just takes RE's combat and puts the camera behind you. RE5 clearly is trying to be Gears and it fails so hard.

It's such a by the numbers squeal that is in no way better then RE4. RE4 is'nt overrated. It's one of the best games ever made.

I still enjoyed the game, because it is still a RE4 like TPS and not completely a Gears type cover based TPS, but it's simply not as good as RE4.

Corpekata

Banned
Co-op design hurt it. While RE4 was clearly more action oriented, RE5 is pretty much all action aside from the temple level. Last third of the game is against the gun wielders so it basically became a middling TPS with bad guys that occassionaly had weird shit grow out of their corpses. I'd say just compare the El Gigante fights. That first time in RE4, or when you fight 2 at the same time, were pretty great the first time. Here it's just a turret level.

It's just kinda bland. There's very little atmosphere.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I think the first portion of the game had all these great ideas, then they just let the consistent level design take over. Plus it took you to places that didn't really take you to that traditional RE scenario (it started off that way). RE6 about did the same thing, but you could of seen RE6 happening. It was basically the first game redone on a larger scale and more character development.

I think RE5 should of kept on the same path for the entire game. They had the levels right at first, but I thought they should of been a little more polished.

RE5 did that tribal stuff (which made no sense), then it took you to this laboratory place where it took on the same texture after texture. It could of been much MUCH better. I'd like to see Cliffy B's idea for RE.

Curufinwe

Bad Co-Op ai

Otherwise RE5 is a huge improvement over 4. Limited inventory space, better gunplay, arguably a better environment, and better mercenaries.

RE 4 already had limited inventory space, and the gunplay was not better in RE 5.

The main problem with Resident Evil 5 is that they took the RE4 gameplay systems and tacked on multiplayer to them. Those systems were designed for a single-player experience and adding multiplayer really messed up the pacing, balance, and variety (had to strip out the puzzles & stuff like Ashley sections). Also, playing a game with a friend is inherently less scary than playing a game by yourself.

Don't get me wrong, RE5 is still a pretty fun game with a friend, but the great pacing & level design of RE4 is gone. It's a cover album. It's Dark Souls 2's competence to Dark Souls 1's brilliance. But hey, at least multiplayer mercenaries mode is awesome.

Carbonox

Resident Evil 5 grew on me the more and more I played it. Then, after Resident Evil 6, I realized just how lucky we were to have got Resident Evil 5 as one final good attempt in the series before Resident Evil went down the shitter.

I really like the story, it's graphically impressive, the co-op is superb and it's just an enjoyable romp. A lot of rehashed shit from RE4 lets it down but it's ultimately a pretty good game.

Seyavesh

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

but yeah i think folks were expecting a really big step up from re4 and got like a mild step up with questionable design approach (effectively required co-op- the basic core systems of the game were clearly designed/modified with co-op in mind but the encounters and level design were not)

also vs. re4 i feel like in general RE5's campaign feels like a 'half baked' product, where you can see where they kinda were planning something much more ambitious and crazy but ended up having to put together encounters after realizing their scope was too big/when the project changed directions

also it's really important to remember that dead space 1 came out a little before RE5 did- that was seen by a lot of folks as the "real RE5" because of it's strong horror action gameplay and horror atmosphere

Jay Sosa

Nothing. It's a fantastic game

Yep.

More so than Resident Evil 4 which is overrated.

Imho RE5 is a worse game but a better Resident Evil. The story in RE4 is so fucking stupid (even for a RE game) it made my head hurt. RE5 was a huge step in the right direction for sure. Wouldn't call RE4 overrated but the discrepancy in appreciation between two extremely similar games is a bit astonishing.

People that say RE4 is the best Resident Evil game simply don't like Resident Evil games. Is it one of the best Action games ever? Sure. Is it a good RE game? Not at all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It has odd pacing, sloppy reveals, worse art design/atmosphere (than RE4), and poor overall bosses.

Otherwise, it's a great co-op game. It grew on me after repeat playthroughs and Mercs.

Niccolo

After playing RE6, I look back on RE5 with a better attitude. I think the thing I missed the most was the briefcase for guns and items. Also, I wasn't a fan of the level select. I understand why it was used but it made the game feel disjointed.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm surprised at the positive reception this game tends to get in retrospect.

I played it coop years ago and mildly enjoyed, but I can say that about literally every game I've played coop, and even then I could tell it wasn't a very well designed video game. It was really driven home when I tried to play it again solo after RE4 UHD earlier this year.

Curufinwe

Better hit detection and gun feedback in comparison to RE4. RE4 gunplay is flimsy in comparison to RE5.

Yeah, you'll have to actually show this alleged better gun feedback.

RE4 has the least flimsy gunplay in any game outside of maybe FEAR.

Salsa

it's also the final nail in RE going all BIO TERRORISM

I mean it was always about that in theory but it never treat it as a straight up action movie

RE6 is fucking bonkers STAKES ARE INSANE OMG SCOPE WORLD IN DANGER FLY THIS PLANE

that kind of "pulling back" really just hurts the series for me rather than something like here's leon alone going through this village with a clear goal

joe2187

Banned

This is a freaking RE game, you dont play these games for the plot man, if you are you're doing it wrong.

Ever since RE1 its been nothing but campy horror/action.

The evolution of Wesker as a villain in RE5 was fucking beautiful, he went full Snively whiplash and the series was all the better for it.

eshwaaz

Hated that it was designed around co-op. Should have been a spin-off. Mainline RE games should have stayed single player, IMO.

It's a decent game. Coming after one of the games that always appears in "Greatest games of all time" lists was never going to be easy though. See also: Devil May Cry 2.

ZeroCDR

I love RE5 just as much as RE4, in fact I prefer it at times since it's not very long and just as replayable. RE4 drags on a bit.

AI partner is a total mess starting out, but that drastically improves in New Game+. The game is meant for co-op anyway, and it excels there.

Dylan

Shoe-horned coop in a game without well-designed coop/AI in a genre that doesn't fit coop.

RE5 was clearly designed from the ground up with co-op in mind. Nothing "shoe-horned" about it.

I thought it was great, not sure why anyone even attempted to play this single player?

The only beef I had with the game was the cut-scene quicktime events. I would have loved if the designers just nixed cut-scenes from the game entirely.

MattVT

I actually loved Resident Evil 5. I don't think it's as good as 4, though.

If I'm going to knock it for anything, it would be setting and atmosphere. It has several locations where everything is really bright, which (for me) killed any sort of fear factor.

Also, if you go back and watch the early teasers, it seemed like the final product got away from what they were orginially shooting for. There were far fewer enemies on screen in the final game, which is probably not surprising. I also recall reading about a mechanic where your eyes would have to adjust when moving from bright areas to dark areas, which would create tension because you couldn't immediately tell what was lurking about. This didn't seem to make it into the game in any meaningful way.

Still, though, it's one of my favorites from last gen.

Bland story that continued (in my opinion) the poor direction they started to head towards post CV. RE was never Shakespeare, but with each virus evolution it seemed the story went off on a random, unexciting tangent.
Horrible babysitting of the AI.
Not a single scary moment that I can remember.
All action, no significant puzzles.
Pace was rough.
I don't remember the music being very atmospheric. Regardless of horrible voice acting, RE always had some of the best music.

That is all I can remember now. I really enjoyed Jill's expansion pack, and the cutscenes in RE 5 were great as well.

Nothing. It's a fantastic game. More so than Resident Evil 4 which is overrated.

You are wrong.

Anyway, I really enjoy RE5 as a co-op game, but it has a host of issues:
-Too many enemies with guns, which turns the game into a cover based shooter (which the combat system is TERRIBLE for)
-The bosses are really bad. They are either visually bland (black wormy things!), really gimmicky (el gigante knockoff turret fight, wesker fight), or a variation of shooting the glowing orange weak spots.
-Shoddy AI means it only lives up to its potential when playing with someone else
-It copies too much from RE4, but does them not as well. Anything knew it introduces tends to be worse than the things it copied.
-The art and atmosphere is not as good as RE4. The locations (some are beautiful) are a lot less interesting, especially the sterile lab. This point is more subjective though.
-It's not scary at all.
-The story is garbage on every single level
-Taking out merchants and typewriters and replacing them with a boring save screen
-Less memorable and creative encounters than in 4. It didn't mix up enemy types and level design as skillfully 4.
-The pacing isn't great, there are very few lulls in the action.
-Horrible QTE overload, and they must be completed by both players.
-I found the weapons lacking compared to 4.
-Gone are the amazing player death scenes in 4, replaced by totally censored ones.
-Not as challenging as 4 thanks to a partner, and you can revive one another infinitely for the most part.

I played through an hour to two with a friend a few weeks back and hated it.

My main issues..
  • So much fucking loading and it takes forever.
  • Reuses things from Resident Evil 4, but not as effectively.
  • The weapon shop and item tree is complete shit compared to RE4.
  • A fucking on-rails sequence, really Capcom?
  • Way too much story cutscenes.
  • Boring levels.

Curufinwe

It has odd pacing, sloppy reveals, worse art design/atmosphere (than RE4), and poor overall bosses.

Don't forget zombies on motorbikes.

But if you really want to boil down what makes RE4 better than 5, compare the build-up to and fight with El-Gigante to the crappy turret shooting boss battle against its bearded brother in RE5.

Also, RE6 has some great action gameplay (like Vanquish), but it's buried among wildly inconsistent scenarios (that range in quality from horrible to actually pretty cool) & poorly explained tutorials. You practically need to learn how to play the game online before turning it on if you want to enjoy it properly because goodness knows the game itself doesn't tell you (and it plays very differently than just about every other game out there).

Jay Sosa

My main issues..
    [*]A fucking on-rails sequence, really Capcom?
  • Boring levels.

eaabd9639e5999e0a9d5ec33434d2512fd22f415.jpg

*cough cough*

Fruitster

If played with a mate, Resident Evil 5 was a pretty great game. Playing on your own, you may as well not bother with the harder difficulties due to the daft AI. Resi 5 to me always seemed a good game on it's own merits, but a bad Resident Evil game. It doesn't have the atmosphere or scares, it's setting doesn't fit compared to the games that came before it, and it's more action focused approach just jars if you've played the older games in the series.

Mercenaries in Resi 5 though was a blast. Had hours of fun with it.

so1337

Claustrophobic and badly designed levels, a braindead AI partner, painful turret sequences, annoying glowy weak spot bosses, unimaginative and rehashed monsters, half-assed cover shooter mechanics.

You are wrong.

Anyway, I really enjoy RE5 as a co-op game, but it has a host of issues:
-Too many enemies with guns, which turns the game into a cover based shooter (which the combat system is TERRIBLE for)
-The bosses are really bad. They are either visually bland (black wormy things!), really gimmicky (el gigante knockoff turret fight, wesker fight), or a variation of shooting the glowing orange weak spots.
-Shoddy AI means it only lives up to its potential when playing with someone else
-It copies too much from RE4, but does them not as well. Anything knew it introduces tends to be worse than the things it copied.
-The art and atmosphere is not as good as RE4. The locations (some are beautiful) are a lot less interesting, especially the sterile lab. This point is more subjective though.
-It's not scary at all.
-The story is garbage on every single level
-Taking out merchants and typewriters and replacing them with a boring save screen
-Less memorable and creative encounters than in 4. It didn't mix up enemy types and level design as skillfully 4.
-The pacing isn't great, there are very few lulls in the action.
-Horrible QTE overload, and they must be completed by both players.
-I found the weapons lacking compared to 4.
-Gone are the amazing player death scenes in 4, replaced by totally censored ones.
-Not as challenging as 4 thanks to a partner, and you can revive one another infinitely for the most part.
Excellent post. You summed it up nicely.

Jay Sosa

My main issues..
    [*]A fucking on-rails sequence, really Capcom?
  • Boring levels.

eaabd9639e5999e0a9d5ec33434d2512fd22f415.jpg

*cough cough*

It is not scary whatsoever. Dark Souls is scarier.

Neither was RE4, hell the only really scary Resident Evil is the original.

This is a freaking RE game, you dont play these games for the plot man, if you are you're doing it wrong.

Why do people say things like this. Yes it's not Shakespearean quality writing but that doesn't excuse for destroying what was built before it. One of the things I like about RE is the plot and it's world. It's a massive contributor to the atmosphere these games are about.

Jawmuncher

Only thing wrong with it was the boat sections. Aside from that RE5 was fantastic and in my book an worthy successor to RE4.

Top Bottom