• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Resident Evil 5?

CronoShot

RE5 was RE4, except without the expansive inventory system, atmosphere, variety, pacing, and forced co-op, lest you risk Sheva's terrible AI getting you killed over and over. At least you could tell Ashley to hide in the trash.

It wasn't RE4-2.

-Scrapped some good ideas like Chris hallucinating
-Forced coop
-Bland environments
-Enemy placement was nothing special
-Enemy designs were bad
-Bosses were bad (mostly giant bugs)
-Not as long as RE4
-Crappy inventory system
-Crappy currency system
-No strategy and can blast your way through the game, unlike RE4 where you had to think about what you would do for each encounter

All and all I think Resident Evil 5 is the worst mainline Resident Evil game. Hell I like Resident Evil 6 more than 5...Revelations is actually even worse than 5

jimi_dini

even made parts easier than playing with a teammate.

Haha, yeah exactly.

Try for example the Jill fight. With a competent player it's actually fun, especially on Professional. With the brain dead AI however... I mean you just can't play on Professional with that AI. It's not possible. It's broken.

The brain dead AI isn't even able to combine red + green herbs. Playing the game with that AI is basically babysitting the AI. You can't be serious. Well or you played on a platform where only newbies played and noone even slightly competent.

The only part that actually was made easier was that stupid boss fight, where both players fire on it using turrets. That fight was bad though. Especially on Professional.

collige

Banned
My biggest beef with it is that around halfway through the game it turned into a really shitty Gears clone. There was no reason whatsoever to give zombies assault rifles. There were also a bunch of other setbacks like the worse bosses, worse inventory management, upgrade management, etc.

Playing it alone with the AI was a nightmare. Inventory management was horrible. The corridor shooting that starting popping up in the last third of the game was really bad with a equally bad cover mechanic system. Chris's character design was fucking insane, with his biceps being the size of his whole head.

Jawmuncher

Haha, yeah exactly.

Try for example the Jill fight. With a competent player it's actually fun, especially on Professional. With the brain dead AI however... I mean you just can't play on Professional with that AI. It's not possible. It's broken.

The brain dead AI isn't even able to combine red + green herbs. Playing the game with that AI is basically babysitting the AI. You can't be serious. Well or you played on a platform where only newbies played and noone even slightly competent.

The only part that actually was made easier was that stupid boss fight, where both players fire turrets. That fight was bad though.

As some other posters have said seems to be random.
I never had a issue with her at all when I played. Can't comment much on a Professional playthrough since I always used infinite ammo there. Thus any boss was pretty easy even if I wasn't using the RPG

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't think there was anything 'wrong' with it, it's just that the only things 'right' with it was stuff that was already right with resident evil 4

atpbx

The inventory system sucks balls.
Sheva is retarded.
The weapons are lacklustre.
The pacing is dreadful.
The levels are sparse and boring.
Sheva is retarded.
The script is dreadful.
The acting is bad even for a resident evil game.
Despite being being incredibly short, it also manages to seemingly feel like it takes for ever to play through and not in a fun way.
Sheva is completely retarded.

It's just a joyless brown mess.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
To be fair; RE4 also had that horrible military island segment with minugun-wielding zombies aswell as zombies that ran at you with stun-batons at the same time.

The very same zombies that later showed up in RE5 again.

Both are equally stupid really.

RE4 had the benefit of introducing "smart zombies" to RE, so the transition from villagers with pitchforks to monks with medieval era melee weapons to something that resembles an almost professional military force was really cool. At least imo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's the result of a bunch of hacks plagiarising RE4 while adding a poorly conceived co-op mode and removing most of the atmosphere.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
wut

the atmosphere and scope are nothing alike

how am I not making it clear

I mean you seem to be pardoning some of the things RE4 did that were insanely over the top, just a few examples:

the jetski escape doing backflips
the laser matrix dodging
almost every single major boss fight, from saddler being a huge BOW that looked like a gore angel, salazar's fight with the rocket launchers and the thing you fight on the low hanging cargo holds over that abyss (which ends with an impossible jump by leon)
Also the mine cart segment ended with Leon making an impossible jump.

Also what about the totally crazy knife fight and the fact that krauser was basically nightmare from soul calibur?

Oh and what about that part where ashley is driving that huge ass tractor through a tunnel while you're being chased by exploding trucks and tons of ganados?

Haha and that QTE where you're running away from the 15 foot tall robo statue of salazar and it also ends with an impossible jump by leon?

There are just soooo many moments in RE4 that are over the top it's insane. But it's okay! These are the moments that make the game excellent to me and are some of the more memorable moments of the game. There is no point in the game after Leon loses his jacket where I feel like I'm all alone creeping through a castle, hell no RE4 is a high intensity, high octane assault through this castle to rescue the presidents daughter.

And that's what's great.

It only makes sense that RE5 would further try to top this.

Salsa

To be fair; RE4 also had that horrible military island segment with minugun-wielding zombies aswell as zombies that ran at you with stun-batons at the same time.

The very same zombies that later showed up in RE5 again.

Both are equally stupid really.

every RE is stupid, RE5 just shifted too much

it's fair to say RE4 had some crazy shit of course, but from the get go you're still in a better a better environment, alone, with a clear smaller scope goal that sets off a much better atmosphere. RE5 throws all that out the window for real

5 and 6 are just a "ok we need to top this let's go more BATSHIT" which sure is a way to go about it, just not the one I'd prefer

InsuRn

For me:
- Too much emphase on action
- Too much enemies during some sections
- No horror atmosphere at all
- Bad plot
- Disliked most of the bosses fight

It wasn't a bad game, just average (like 6-7/10).

DanSaxon

I really enjoyed it, playing coop all the way through with my mate on a few occasions, I think playing it single player makes it a mediocre game.

so1337

It wasn't RE4-2.

-Scrapped some good ideas like Chris hallucinating
-Forced coop
-Bland environments
-Enemy placement was nothing special
-Enemy designs were bad
-Bosses were bad (mostly giant bugs)
-Not as long as RE4
-Crappy inventory system
-Crappy currency system
-No strategy and can blast your way through the game, unlike RE4 where you had to think about what you would do for each encounter

All and all I think Resident Evil 5 is the worst mainline Resident Evil game. Hell I like Resident Evil 6 more than 5...Revelations is actually even worse than 5
RE5 and RE6 are both bad games but I respect Resident Evil 6 more. The amount of stuff you can do just in terms of movement is kind of remarkable, even though they weren't able to build a decent game around it. It at least feels like they were trying.

My favorite game last gen, I have played it more times than I can even count, I still play it with my sister on a weeky basis, expecially Mercenaries.

Also, the game is so appealing graphically, the art, everything comes together beautifully, much more so than RE6.

I wish it was longer though, we have run through the game in ~1 hour and 20 minutes. :/

jimi_dini

Can't comment much on a Professional playthrough since I always used infinite ammo there.

That's another point. They knew that they fucked up and that it would be almost impossible to beat bosses with that brain dead AI or a so-so coop player on the highest difficulties, so they made it possible to replay levels all the time, so that you could collect more money and shit.

We have a term for that. It's called grinding.

RE4 on Professional without cheats? Yeah not an easy time, but absolutely doable. And quite fun. Because the game was properly designed.

There are just soooo many moments in RE4 that are over the top it's insane.

And that's what's great.

Ha, RE4 is so awesome

"I've sent my right hand to dispose of you."
"Your right hand comes off?"

It gets crazy hate, but it's a very solid 3rd person shooter. I had a blast playing through the whole game online co-op with my brother.

Wesker was great even in all his cheesy goodness. D.C. Douglas' best role imo.

joe2187

Banned
The great thing about RE4 is that it didn't fuck with the story and completely abandoned Umbrella except for some mild references. It was mostly isolated for a reason.

I can see that, RE4 seemed like it was almost completely unrelated to the RE games that preceded it because of that.

wut

the atmosphere and scope are nothing alike

nothing "set" anything. RE3 is also ridiculous and over the top. the issue with RE5 is the treatment they gave to that. it's a completely different game than 4 wrapped around the same mechanics

you go from being alone in a fucking castle fighting zombie Spanish monks to daylight África on rail sequences fighting zombies on motorcycles that shoot at you

how am I not making it clear

C'mon man.

really?

RE4statue.jpg

really?!

RE4-11.jpg

Salsa

I can see that, RE4 seemed like it was almost completely unrelated to the RE games that preceded it because of that.

C'mon man.

really?

RE4statue.jpg

really?!

RE4-11.jpg

you're not getting it and maybe it's my fault explaining it. I'm not talking about unlikely ridiculous moments, in talking about the overall feel of the experience. RE5 opens up the gates and amps up in a direction I didn't care for. for example. people sure like to mention the broad daylight thing and it gets to feel silly, but it's just true. there's a lot of things that really set it apart in a completely different direction. I'm ok with one guy on a mission going throgyh Gothic castles but you just sorta lose me when it goes that much farther. there's also a big focus on the overall bigger story in 5, as if ir ever was any good that just hurts the whole thing too

Salsa

too much?

....or not enough???

doomtrain
11YBE60.jpg

well they kinda did that in RE6, which is the game that takes it as far as being so fucking idiotic you enjoy it in a laughable matter, which I'm totally fine with but I still prefered the old stuff

can you imagine if there was no 5 and you showed someone 4 then 6

Assault

I enjoyed it, but it honestly felt like a watered down version of RE4 to me. I really disliked the levels in that swamp area, and thought the game was kinda short (I beat it in around 7 hours on my first playthrough; I beat RE4 in around 20ish hours).

RE 4 was a clunky game with a terrible story and atmosphere. RE 5 was an awesome co-op experience with a terrible story and atmosphere. The only thing RE 4 does right over 5 is not have Wesker die in it.

It's not terrible, but I did find it a downgrade to 4 mostly because of the things they did to better facilitate co-op. It's alright when you have someone to play along with you, but that's not gonna last me the 15+ playthroughs of 4 I've done by myself, so playing 5 solo you run into things that just drag it down. Things like Sheva, who despite being a fully capable playable character, ends up requiring more babysitting than Ashley ever did; nerfing your capabilities for the sake of co-op interaction (harder to shake off enemies, requiring the other's assistance when in low health); the changes to inventory to make it real-time and making every item take up one slot; changes to AI that resulted in things like the Salvador equivalent running up to you then bizarrely standing in place before actually attacking; awkwardly changing the controls to include strafing, which then essentially further nerfs you if you stick with the tank controls.

But like I said, I don't find it terrible, it just has a lot of things that end up bogging it down and makes it harder for me to replay over 4.

They tried to marry the concepts from earlier RE games w/ RE4, while simultaneously injecting a whole lot of Hollywood Steroid.

Co-op was fun, but damn did this series get stupid fast.

JoJoSono

Banned
People who played the game in solo are what's wrong with RE5.
Perhaps, but this series was a single player game and as someone who dislikes co-op why should I be penalized for wanting to play a new game in single player series in single player?

There's no reason Capcom couldn't make a quality single player mode with an ai that wasn't garbage.

Waste ammo.
Take un-needed damage where I have to heal you.
Take you're sweet time during boss sequences where the partner is needed.

These things could have been fixed. They were in RE6 were capcom just gave up and said the ai can't die.

And man all those human boss battles in this game are awkward and terrible.

Either way playing single player shouldn't introduce an annoyance just because.

Which is funny because as far as I can tell the co-op in RE5 is terrible. As far as I can tell it's amazing simply because it's there. As the game really makes no cool situations with the co-op beyond the boring part of "one holds the light, the other shoots". They do nothing with the co-op. It's really wasted and unimaginative. Which sums up the game to me 100%.
RE 4 was a clunky game with a terrible story and atmosphere. RE 5 was an awesome co-op experience with a terrible story and atmosphere. The only thing RE 4 does right over 5 is not have Wesker die in it.
Someone dosen't understand RE4. There's nothing clunky about it.

Killua

It was a fun coop game. My biggest issue was that it wasn't scary in the slightest while RE 4 had some intense moments.

Awful AI and... um, I don't know? Lack of puzzles?

To me RE4 and RE5 are pretty much the same game with a few different details. One has co-op one doesnt but both have 'partners'. Babysitting Ashley, babysitting Sheva. Not really fair to compare them both as they have two completely different roles in both games but babysitting was what it ended up being no matter what. Baby sitting Ashley, and not to mention playing as her is probably the worst parts of RE4 or any RE game. Both games are giant shooters and have what feel like endless waves of enemies which in RE4 makes it worse due to lack of mobility and movement. Choose the right type of controls in RE5 and it's actually more fun to play. Both have the same type of enemies but with slightly different attacks even the bosses and more powerful enemies. Same type of settings and levels really, felt like both had their creepy moments but nothing out of the ordinary. Storywise... RE4 did nothing to anything about anything regarding the story and could've might as well have been a nonexistant event to the series. At least RE5 had the stop wesker or he'll destory the world. In RE4... yeah if it was up to my I wouldn't have saved Ashley at all and just played through the game without her.

you're not getting it and maybe it's my fault explaining it. I'm not talking about unlikely ridiculous moments, in talking about the overall feel of the experience. RE5 opens up the gates and amps up in a direction I didn't care for. for example. people sure like to mention the broad daylight thing and it gets to feel silly, but it's just true. there's a lot of things that really set it apart in a completely different direction. I'm ok with one guy on a mission going throgyh Gothic castles but you just sorta lose me when it goes that much farther. there's also a big focus on the overall bigger story in 5, as if ir ever was any good that just hurts the whole thing too

RE5 actually managed to wrap up the main storyline in a somewhat satisfying way, which is more than I can say for most video game franchises. We got Umbrella's origins, some great files with references to past games, Spencer's motivations and Wesker's endgame. I did not like all of it, but the game did a great job with what it had to work with. I absolutely loved the story and voice-acting, and it got countless memorable lines and scenes. Who does not remember "Complete global saturation" or Chris punching a boulder?. It sometimes got a bit over-the-top and cheesy, but it never turned into pretentious melodrama like CVX, Revelations and RE6. One should also not forget the awesomeness that is RE5 Mercenaries.

I played it in co-op (once) and wasnt impressed.

- Way too many long QTEs. The final section vs Wesker in the plane was horrible.
- Regular enemies with guns in the later stages of the game, so you have to use cover.
- In fact, it turned more into a shooter overall, but not a fun one.
- I cant remember much about the bosses, not impressive. The El Gigante fight was incredibly lame, so was the Jill fight. The fight against the mutated chick on the boat look very pretty due to the orbital lasers, but I think it had QTEs prior to it.
- The cutscenes were really dumb. Not good, funny dumb, but bad dumb. How many times can the bad guys just walk away, while Chris & Sheva just there yelling "stop"?

The boat section was quite nice, with the crocs. And the game looked very pretty.

Top Bottom