• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Resident Evil 5?

It's a copy of RE4, but with shitty level design, dull art direction, dumb bosses and even the QTEs feels like a copy by people who didn't understand what made them cool in 4.
Obviously, it's even further away from the series roots, but RE4 was the one that killed the series, so I'm not gonna blame 5 for that.

btw I've only played it coop. Pretty much best time we had was laughing at how godawful and dumb this pos is. Also while trying to kill ourselves at the laser ,,puzzle''.

I would put RE4 and 5 almost on the same level, with a slight edge to RE4.

The fourth game has better pacing, which is pretty much unarguable. There's nothing like the turret scene in RE5 for example. It's also got the merchant which is way better than RE5's shop. Lastly, the bosses are more consistently good and memorable.

RE5 on the other hand, has better controls (you can strafe now), better melee (way more different moves), a better inventory (it doesn't pause the game which always keeps you on edge, and doesn't interrupt the flow of the game). Plus, the game has Wesker and some boulder punching.

The AI in RE5 is actually not that bad. You need to micromanage Sheva's inventory but she's pretty useful IMO. Apart from that one bossfight. I saw people saying the AI in RE6 is better but I really disagree with that. They just made the AI invincible. It didn't seem to be as useful, you didn't even have to care about the AI partners because you couldn't share items.

Agreed.

All the people who mention bolder punching in the negative, I would like to remind you about the whole running away from a giant midget statue.

Both 4 and 5 have some really stupid stuff in them and RE4 fans/people who started with 4 need to wake up lol. They like to call 5 out on silly stuff but all RE games have silly stuff in them. Especially 4 and 5! 4's whole castle romp and 5's temple of doom were low points in the experience.

5 improved on everything 4 was and its just a fact. It simply did not ad anything to the formula to make it better. I'd honestly only give RE4 a half point more than 5 simply because it has less dudes with guns in it.

re5dx92013-02-2300-38sxudf.png
One of the best parts of the game IMHO.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It helps to play w/ a competent partner I'm sure, but there are a lot of things it did that was enjoyable. I liked the return to a tighter inventory system that forced you and your partner to be smarter about what you took on each mission, and the parts where you were separated from each other were really well done. I also really liked the part when you got to the village after riding the boats (that circular one w/ the tower raised high in the center) and just the swarm of enemies that kept coming; even w/ as much ammo as you can muster you barely get out of there with any and barely alive, and that's for people who don't totally suck at the game.

In the end tho it didn't have enough of those cool moments, like when the Lickers come out for the first time or when you're in the underground Aztec-like maze and you end up separated. If it had more stuff like that and less like the ridiculous boss fight against Wesker, it'd of been a much better game and better than RE4, b/c it already has the foundation mechanics of that game and fixes a few things for the better while being pretty smart about the partner (as long as you're playing w/ someone else).

Lastly I'd like to focus on the "controversy". IMHO it was mostly unwarranted and ridiculous, and came from people who didn't keep up with the game and likely didn't even play it. I thought some of the whitewashing that resulted was ironic; I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the game didn't take place in South Africa but man it felt like it at times. It was one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations for Capcom and might explain their hesitation in revisiting some of those characters, that setting or similar settings in future titles, and that's simply a travesty.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm not one for telling people that their opinion is bad. But RE5 being better than RE4?

BAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH

I will say, however that 5 is better than 6. By default. Because 6 is hot garbage.

Dice//

Banned
I'm gonna be an ass right now and say people who DIDN'T like it are people without the friend to play it with.

Awesome co-op title, I well actually be sad if Res7 doesn't include it to whatever extent

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm gonna be an ass right now and say people who DIDN'T like it are people without the friend to play it with.

Awesome co-op title, I well actually be sad if Res7 doesn't include it to whatever extent

I played it both ways (well, tried to play solo anyway), and I think rather than it being a good coop game, the bad parts just aren't as evident when you're playing with someone else.

I admit I enjoyed RE5, but not as a Resident Evil game. It was a very fun action game to me, but nothing more. It just wasn't scary at all, and scares are the reason I played Resident Evil games pre-RE4.

The fact that so much of the game was spent outdoors didn't help.

Riposte

Three things that come to mind, although they are small things:
*That turret section, which is nearly broken on the highest difficulty.
*Combat system not quite doing Wesker justice (RE6-style Albert vs Jake dream match DLC plz)
*Combat system doesn't do enemies with firearms well (also true for RE4, but fixed in RE6)

On a side note, I don't think RE5 should be compared to the terribad RE6, which I would be blind to not acknowledge the glory of RE6's Mercs mode.

What's good about RE6's Mercs is also true for the campaigns more often then not (but clearly not always) and the campaigns allow you to play on No Hope Left difficulty, which is the game as its hardest and best. Mercs has a double edge sword where the time restriction adds a layer of tension, but also encourages rout tactics for the sake of score.

Honestly, I rather people hate every aspect of RE6 than say this. I can't shake the feeling they are just adopting the GAF consensus (which has evolved to this point over time after complete hate). I get the same feeling when someone states RE5 "didn't understand" RE4, which is the vaguest crap you could say.

RE6 Campaigns are fucking terrible.

Dont even get me started on the exploding roombas. you're stuck in a room with these stasis tanks of B.O.Ws, but what does the game throw at you? fucking exploding roombas...dear god who came up with such a terrible decision.

WHY!?

Here's why:

The whole point of that sequence is that you competing with against another player or team of players in a campaign crossover. The "rombas" function so that you are basically playing tennis or pong (there must be a better example I can't think of right now lol) with the other players. It's an indirect shooting contest, you send the mines towards your opponent so they become too distracted to open the door before you. You obviously couldn't do that with just any enemy. The competition also extends to the two laser hallways. Winners get access to a special elevator room which has a chest for a big exp item. Of course, this requires online play and campaign crossovers rarely succeed at this point. I've managed to play this sequence with another team of players 3 or 4 times, but I imagine most haven't done it once. The design is still clear to me and I actually think it is very creative and unique, can't think of anything similar.

To this day, one of my favorite RE videos. Also love the egg ones. RE6 lacked eggs.

And for the record, RE4, RE5, and RE6 are all excellent games that TPS genre enthusiasts should treasure. RE fanboys who have deluded themselves into thinking they get to decide what RE is are irredeemable dorks.

Eurocult

The only thing 'wrong' with it is that there's not really any uber creepy set pieces like RE of old...

as far as action games go, I think it's top notch. Great Co-op mode, excellent graphics, and very polished.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
It wasn't as awful as the Internet likes to pretend it was, it was merely a so-so action game that went kinda batshit crazy towards the end. I know I'll get flogged for this, but I actually ended up enjoying RE6 more than RE5 tho.

megalowho

Dead Space had just come out and felt better in every way possible.
This is true, the game had changed. RE5 felt like baby steps in comparison.

The areas it did try to innovate, namely implementing a co-op campaign, fell flat in practice - and I played through it with a roommate instead of dealing with bad AI. Sucked away any sense of tension, the puzzles were lame (give your partner a boost! this door needs two people to open it!), and the self serious story with the fan service and cartoon villain made it hard not to crack jokes MST3K-style throughout. The endgame sequence was particularly frustrating and ridiculous, getting multiple game overs for not punching a boulder fast enough might have killed my interest in the series singlehandedly.

Dice//

Banned
I played it both ways (well, tried to play solo anyway), and I think rather than it being a good coop game, the bad parts just aren't as evident when you're playing with someone else.

Yeah but by that point you get a good lark out of it and make fun of it with a friend! :D

Resident Evil 5 was a fine game, well made. It just felt flaccid next to RE4 for me.

I disliked it compared to RE4 because;

-RE4 had a scarier atmosphere and setting; secluded in rural Spain vs partnered in rural Africa, which sounds scarier to you?

-I hated having Sheva around, her AI is dumb as a rock, uses your first aid and items, makes encounters easier, makes it less scary than playing on your own.

-Boulder punching 'roid Chris was ridiculous in this game and he's not as interesting of a character.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I thought,

The story was awful

Shouldn't have brought back Wesker

Boulder punching...

Borrowed too many set pieces from RE4

Chris looks ridiculous

Not scary or tense AT ALL

Boring environments

The absolute worst is Jill, changing her appearance, making the "twist" not a twist at all. It's so unbelievably predictable.

The game is perfectly playable and it's constructed well, it's just an also-ran, a coat-tail rider, etc. It's stagnant when it should have been fresh and mind blowing.

I mean, aside from playing as a roid-infused white man blasting through indigenous tribesmen living in that swamp.

I thought RE5 was a fantastic co-op game, and even moreso in Mercenaries. I mean, it shits all over the goodness from the pre-RE4 mainline games + Code Veronica, but I felt the sheer amount of fun was enough to make me accept RE5 for what it was like I did with RE4.

This thread is for the folks who say RE5 is a terrible game. I want to know why so I won't assume it's only because it's not a classic RE game.

On a side note, I don't think RE5 should be compared to the terribad RE6, which I would be blind to not acknowledge the glory of RE6's Mercs mode.

That's just it. The only justification of the title. Lots of excellent co-op games too without the RE name attached to it. Does it make a difference it were a zombie or an alien?

It's a cumbersome TPS with an annoying co-op partner you have to look out for. If you're going to go in a completely different direction that made your series so well liked, at least make the TPS serviceable. It didn't help that Uncharted and Gears did the formula much better.

I'm playing TLOU for the first time and was thinking to myself "Wow, this is what a true Res 4 sequel should play like."

Riposte

That's just it. The only justification of the title. Lots of excellent co-op games too without the RE name attached to it. Does it make a difference it were a zombie or an alien?

But only a few games with co-op as excellent as RE5.

Also why do people care more about the name than the game? It's a word on the box versus a highly complex system you interact with. So utterly decadent and backwards.

lol what a terrible first post. Just wow.

A post that just says the first post is bad is worse no matter what number it falls on.

Itachi87

Couldn't hold a candle to RE4. It's not a terrible game by any means, but when you're comparing it to a game that revolutionized a genre, it's gonna pale in comparison.

SirCrush

I didn't play through 4 but I loved 1&2 (no 3 either) and I loved 5...6 took it to another level and I am absolutely amazed that more people didn't fall in love with that game, to this day.

It is what it is. Call me a hipster or whatever the term is for not following what the masses enjoy...but 5 and 6 were fantastic video games that I had hundreds of hours of fun with.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It was a terrible RE and did some serious damage to the plot and characters the series was building in the past. Not a bad game though. I still will never forgive them for ruining Spencer. He is the GOAT villain the series ever had and he died in a cut-scene.
I think you had too much confidence in the storytelling of resident evil...

Riposte

I didn't play through 4 but I loved 1&2 (no 3 either) and I loved 5...6 took it to another level and I am absolutely amazed that more people didn't fall in love with that game, to this day.

It is what it is. Call me a hipster or whatever the term is for not following what the masses enjoy...but 5 and 6 were fantastic video games that I had hundreds of hours of fun with.

You will very likely also like 4, so go play it. Then again, I'm pretty sure I've met someone who likes 5/6 and hates 4; I'm sure I've met every possible combination of likes/dislikes within the RE fanbase actually.

Resident Evil 5 is one of my all-time favorite games. The co-op play is some of the best we've ever had (in my book, at least). It was an incredibly balanced mix of action-packed, cheesy, and fun. Probably my most memorable co-op experience next to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Why is a thread about what was wrong with Resident Evil 5 only 6 pages long?

Because it's the same old debate that comes down to the same thing: play style preference. If you like survival horror with the methodical approach, 5 and 6 were disappointments at best. If you like action titles, 5 and 6 were good and intriguing, respectively. Sometimes it's enough to look over the faults, sometimes it is not.

Personally 5 fell short in every area except in regards to co-op.

• The most egregious fault was trying to be a cast of RE4 wrapped up in a traditional RE narrative. None of the elements taken from RE4 were to the same or improved qualty.
  • The A.I. outside of the Reapers was garbage, and wouldn't be a threat were it not for the open arena level design and sheer numbers. The biggest offender is the chainsaw Majini.
  • The narrative tries to incorporate the zany, self-aware nature of RE4 with the continuation of the narrative left off with RE3: Nemesis and RECV, but taking it into the most extreme direction imaginable without being self aware in the vein of RE4. Attack on Titan: Naploean edition and Jet Ski Mountain worked through intention, while Meat Tornados and Boulder Punches seemed intended to be serious and thus weren't so effective.
  • Uroboros was underutilized and thus unremarkable in execution.
  • While not a fault within the game, the concepts of heat being a threat and causing hallucinations and other gameplay effects being dropped was a rather terrible loss to an otherwise bland title mechanically.

4 wasn't perfect, but felt that it succeeded with most that it tried to accomplish. 5 didn't as far as I'm concerned. Still a decent game, but it didn't accomplish its goals outside of the drop in/out co-op.
Also why do people care more about the name than the game? It's a word on the box versus a highly complex system you interact with. So utterly decadent and backwards.

Are you purposely being disingenuous? What if FROMsofts Souls games turned into Platinum-esque titles? The Last of Us into a Quantic Dream game? Silent Hill into a Gears of War corridor shooter?

Why keep the name if the game retains hardly any of its framework? Spiritual successors have been done before, some incredibly successful (System Shock > Bioshock). And in the case of RE6, the name had much more weight than the mess of a game (great control/mechanics be damned) behind it.

Edit: To be clear, I understand why people wouldn't mind it. But personally that level of change should likely rest in a spin off (Operation Raccoon City), spiritual successor (Bioshock), or reboot (Tomb Raider). Even that last one can be shaky ground.

Hypron

Resident Evil 5 was a fine game, well made. It just felt flaccid next to RE4 for me.

I disliked it compared to RE4 because;

-RE4 had a scarier atmosphere and setting; secluded in rural Spain vs partnered in rural Africa, which sounds scarier to you?

-I hated having Sheva around, her AI is dumb as a rock, uses your first aid and items, makes encounters easier, makes it less scary than playing on your own.

I can see where the other complaints are coming from but I disagree with the difficulty. Even with Sheva I found RE5 harder than RE4, especially on Professional. The developers know that you've got a partner so the encounters are designed with two players in mind. It's a lot harder to funnel enemies down in a line in RE5 than in RE4 because they tend to come at you from several different directions at once a lot more often.

Disclaimer: I (mostly) enjoyed RE5, while RE4 is perhaps my favorite game of all time:

- The item management in 4 was godlike. It struck a perfect balance between the old item management ("magic boxes") and a future with no magic boxes. The RE5 "nine slots, deal with it" approach is not suitable to me. You also got no sense of spacing with items in RE5. Rocket Launcher -> one slot? Ha ha, OK.

- I generally play solo for all of my games; I don't do multiplayer or even coop, and the Sheva AI is an absolute catastrophe. My gosh, that
Jill/Wesker
boss fight made me want to rip my head off. The constant cries of "HELP ME, PART-NAH!" became actually worse than Ashley in RE4, and that's saying a lot because Ashley is annoying as hell. Which is a darn pity given that the Sheva character had a lot of potential.

- The story is cheesy, more so than other REs. Complete. Global. Saturation. Enough said.

There's more, but I can write a whole dissertation on the shortcomings of RE5, with respect to other REs.

Riposte

Are you purposely being disingenuous? What if FROMsofts Souls games turned into Platinum-esque titles? The Last of Us into a Quantic Dream game? Silent Hill into a Gears of War corridor shooter?

Why keep the name if the game retains hardly any of its framework? Spiritual successors have been done before, some incredibly successful (System Shock > Bioshock). And in the case of RE6, the name had much more weight than the mess of a game (great control/mechanics be damned) behind it.

Edit: To be clear, I understand why people wouldn't mind it. But personally that level of change should likely rest in a spin off (Operation Raccoon City), spiritual successor (Bioshock), or reboot (Tomb Raider). Even that last one can be shaky ground.

All of this is still caring too much about a name/brand. So what? This string of words is now being used this way instead of that way. Maybe General Mills decides to push a candy bar line; okay, so what? Resident Evil (which in itself is just a localization name) could be called fucking Cheerios and it wouldn't matter when you are actually playing the thing. It wouldn't matter that other things called Cheerios exist (just like it doesn't matter other things called Biohazard exist). It is just a brand, a label because sold products need labels. People got attached to the title because they liked the game experience, but the title remains the least important face of that experience. Important to the product and merchandise, but not the experience, which itself is what made the title have any relevance. To have this fairly natural phenomenon of becoming attached to a phrase associated with the enjoyed experience supersede the process of enjoying experiences is, exactly as I said, decadent and backwards. It's the fetishization of the gaming process by people who spend an absurd amount of time talking about videogames (and since this is GAF, probably not enough time playing them). Taking a step back and looking at this is all it takes to realize how silly it all is. Fanboys need to be more self-aware about their fetishes.

4 wasn't "action-y"? And I've only played these 2 games in the series and Mercenaries for 3DS if that counts.

It was actiony, but it was also masterful at building tension and atmosphere throughout. Not to mention, the pacing is excellent so there's actually quite a bit of moody 'exploration' between the brilliant set pieces. 5 is all action all the time, for the most part.

MormaPope

Banned
I hate the setting and characterization for all the characters. As an action game its good, but everything else is bland.

I prefer RE6 over RE5, tenfold. RE6 was a blast for me to play alone.

For me it felt alot more barebones than re4. The pacing and story elements didnt really gel well imo. I felt like re4 had a more personal story and the mechanics were alot more customizable( merchant guy, attache case organization, deep weapon upgrades, etc.) I just felt like re5 was very simplified for the sake of the targeted audience, and the coop integration.

For me it was a clash of old vs new.

The game wanted to be action but it's "classic" (shitty) tank controls ruined it.

Blew my mind how a zombie (yes it's a zombie) runs at you full tilt only to stop a few feet in front you to give you an opportunity to shoot it.

I also disliked the co-op aspect but that is more of a personal thing.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome game. Lots of fun parts, especially the swamps/caves. Me and various friends probably beat it around 25 times total. I felt it was also the best looking game out for a long time on consoles thanks to the motion blur and art direction.

Good:
-I liked the brighter and lighter tone. Not all zombie games need to be dark, pitch black things to be fun. Just because some people don't enjoy the change doesn't mean we all don't.
-Tighter controls than 4, and as good as it gets for tank controls in general.
-Shooting is great, easily my favorite TPS. Probably my favorite game to snipe in.
-Kept the treasures.
-Lots of secrets.
-Kept the upgrading.
-COOP YES!
-Story is just as cheesy as ever and funny.

Bad:
-The tanker sucked. It just fucking sucked and I dread it each playthrough.
-Last boss sucks and can be a shit shoot sometimes if he blocks Chris or not.
-I missed the final unique gun abilities from 4.
-Music wasn't as good as 4.
-No inventory tetris :(
-In fact, a lot of the bosses kinda suck.

edit: Also, it was stupid that the striker, with its drum clip, in this one was the balanced shotgun with fast reload and the ithica was the capacity shotgun. That made no sense at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bosses suck compared to 4.

No Merchant.

Professional isn't really harder, just bullet spongier. This is an annoying problem as enemies were already spongy because of the co-op.

Co-op is fun but takes a bit away from the tension.

The story while delightfully cheesy has nothing on how amazingly cheesy four's is.

It's not all negatives though. Mercs in 5 is great and the co-op does work extremely well with another person.

Boney

Banned
Pretty much every set piece is a straight ripoff from 4.

There's some annoyance in terms of weapon upgrade and partner ai, along with the terrible last parts but overall it's good because it has the amazing fundation that is re4

I might've enjoy Resident Evil 5 more if it had been called something else. Anything but Resident Evil. It's a big, annoying co-op action slog. There's nothing really deliberate or scary about it. It left such a bad taste in my mouth that I didn't even bother with RE6. I don't need my horror games to be all dudebro'd up.

I get the same feeling when someone states RE5 "didn't understand" RE4, which is the vaguest crap you could say.

Okay, here's something more specific.

RE4 was constantly throwing new things at the player that A) hadn't been in previous games and B) hadn't been done in previously stages of RE4. When it did repeat a situation, there was usually a twist to the later occurrence (like having to fight off 2 of an earlier mid-boss simultaneously, or a drastically different arena setup, or doing a previous lit-up area in the dark with new enemy types). Just from the early part of the game, you get:

1) a linear area that introduces the basic gameplay concepts
2) the infamous siege/chainsaw sequence
3) some heavy trap sequences with beartraps, boulders, and sudden ambushes
4) a more open area to show off the power of the sniper rifle

And that's just from the first hour or so.

Then you throw on so many memorable boss sequences (each of which needs to be tackled differently), the more puzzle-heavy sequences in the castle, and how the addition and subtraction of your ally companion changes the feel of different parts of the game, and RE4 was constantly keeping the player on their toes.

In contrast, many of the scenarios and enemies in RE5 were direct imitations of something that happened in RE4 and thus lost most of their edge if you had played the previous game. And since the entire game needed to be playable in co-op mode, that really hampered the kind of variety they could do, so most of the less action-packed segments of the game got stripped out in favor of constant "walk into an area, fight off a bunch of enemies, repeat" sequences.

One of the main problems with RE5 is that it feels like a co-op expansion pack or fan hack for RE4. Fun if you have a friend to play it, but you can tell that Capcom was afraid of their own success and that instead of trying to do something creative or meaningfully improve on the previous game, they were content to try to just copy it. And in trying to copy RE4, they only copied the surface without understanding the underlying reasons behind most of its design decisions.

Top Bottom