• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Resident Evil 5?

Randam

Dino Crisis 2 sure wasn't Survival Horror but it sure was fun.
INB4 but the action games suck though.

problem is, RE 4, 5 and 6 have allmost nothing to do with the old RE games.

dino crisis 2 still felt like, it was in the same univers as the first game.

I thought it was a pretty good game. I actually enjoyed it more than RE4 (pls don't kill me).

I can understand why people would have enjoyed it more, and I don't think people should come down on those that did. It was pretty fun in co-op and had its moments even when playing solo, mercenaries was improved (co-op), and those who think RE is all about the cheese factor probably thought that the narratives direction was awesome.

I never did play the DLC, so I might pick up the Gold Edition sometime. At least I have reasons to coming back to it than returning to RE 6.

I don't consider it a masterpiece, but it's far from a disaster. A buddy of mine and I used to play co-op games on 360. In that respect, it's a pretty fun and engaging time. Resident Evil 6, though, not so much..

DryvBy

Platinum Trophy on this game. I didn't even know people hated it until I saw the internet talking about it. It was more of what 4 was, only including the co-op.

It wasn't a survival horror game is the only thing that I didn't like, which is understandable if people hate it for that alone.

Maxim726X

I would assume that people were complaining about the AI.

Playing the entire campaign with a friend was one of my favorite gaming experiences of the last 10 years. Absolutely fucking loved it.

Gundy2010

The game length is way too short even with both DLCs

Also the partner AI is god awful making single player experience a pain in the ass.

Nothing. It's one of the best co-op action games of the generation, really. Of course, when you are following up RE4 even a great game is going to seem disappointing.

Also, I always wonder if people who always complain about AI Sheva know you can change her behavior by holding the partner button and hitting up or down on the dpad. I basically give her a sniper rifle and some ammo or an smg and keep her passive most of the time but if I'm in trouble switch her to aggressive and she can get me out of a jam.

Honestly the invincible AI of games like the Last of Us where you are supposed to be in a survival situation seems like a total copout to me. I much prefer RE4 or RE5 where you have someone to look after but enough control of the situation to manage it. Didn't people want more tension in the action-based RE games anyway?

Josh Stone should have been the main character.

josh.gif

ameratsu

It was fun in co-op mode, but I think that just about anything is fun co-op when playing with the right people. My friend and I made fun of it mercilessly the whole time.

My biggest gripes are
  • Excessive use of quicktime events with really short execution windows; I failed these often
  • Very little freedom for how you approach encounters.
  • Turns into a cover based shooter for some reason
  • Environments are bland

On the plus side
  • Unintentionally funny
  • Failing QTEs leads to some really hilarious sequences
  • Boulder punching

Blearth

Banned
Forced co-op
No merchant
None of the endearing corniness from RE4
No pause when switching items
No attache case

I quit playing after a couple of hours. It is the most disappointing game I have ever played.

Panzon

Has its issues but I love that game. I was hoping it'd go on sale sometime soon but knowing capcom I'm just gonna have to buy at $20. Game is definitely a guty pleasure for me. Been at RE4on pro and wanna continue the momentum once I'm done

I feel it was overall a less scary more action focused game. This worked ok if you played it co-op which will most likely give you a more favorable impression on the game. But if you did not come into that game for the co-op it just felt like a lesser experience. The buddy AI and enemy AI were disappointing playing solo. It was a fine game on its own but not a great resident evil game.

Blearth

Banned
Yep.

Imho RE5 is a worse game but a better Resident Evil. The story in RE4 is so fucking stupid (even for a RE game) it made my head hurt. RE5 was a huge step in the right direction for sure. Wouldn't call RE4 overrated but the discrepancy in appreciation between two extremely similar games is a bit astonishing.

People that say RE4 is the best Resident Evil game simply don't like Resident Evil games. Is it one of the best Action games ever? Sure. Is it a good RE game? Not at all.

Bullshit

The story in RE4 is perfect. Short, simple and full of memorable characters.

The overarching story of the franchise is fucking stupid. RE4 is all the better for avoiding that stupid umbrella shit and just going for the awesomely corny "save the President's daughter" plot.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The level design sucked; the enemies and bossed weren't fun to fight; the aiming and walking controls felt loose but seemed to not move far enough or fast enough, unless you turned up the sensitivity, and then they were too fast; there was very little feedback from bosses to tell you if you were doing the right thing to kill them;
lickers
weren't fun to fight; the story sucked; the voice acting sucked; the pronounce Sheva's name Shevva for no god damned reason; the inventory system sucked; Sheva picked up shit you didn't want her to; Sheva wasted your bullets; Sheva stood in your line of fire and ate your shots, wasting even more bullets; if you moved to get Sheva out of your line of fire, she would jump back into it; when you needed to back away from Wesker, Sheva would block you and get you insta killed by that fucking tornado attack; none of the guns were fun to shoot; the graphics were ugly; the color palette was ugly; the sound design sucked; the music sucked; Mercenaries wasn't fun; all those god damned vehicle sections sucked.

I mean, damn OP, I thought I had one or two things to mention, but that list just spewed out of me and I could still go on. That game as a giant trashbag full of hot steaming shit.

Bullshit

The overarching story of the franchise is fucking stupid. RE4 is all the better for avoiding that stupid umbrella shit and just going for the awesomely corny "save the President's daughter" plot.
Q: Are you a bad enough dude to save the president's daughter?
A: Yes I fucking am!

Bullshit

The thing that sets it apart from the story of RE5 is that RE4 knew how stupid of a plot it was. It didn't try to dress it up or sell it like anything else. The goofy elements weren't added in like with CV. It was intended to be goofy in the final iteration.

RE5 by all indications tried delivering it with a straight face.

People should look in the mirror when the say something is overrated/underrated. Rarely do I ever see someone use it in a way that boils down to 'stop liking what I don't like' and vice versa.

Degen

The online co-op campaign is the best part. We had a ton of fun, even when we were arguing about who sucked at the game more.

Forced co-op
No merchant
None of the endearing corniness from RE4
No pause when switching items
No attache case

I quit playing after a couple of hours. It is the most disappointing game I have ever played.
it's not RE4. your issue with RE5 is that it's not RE4.

It's been so long that I don't remember, and I think that was my first plat on the PS3. Should just be able to go to your friends list, open up the menu on their name, and join game.

You and whoever you're playing with also need to make sure your co-op options are set in a way to allow people to jump in and out. Should at least be an open option and an invite only option.

cool, thanks! I might give it another try if I can get my friend to play together again.

The level design sucked; the enemies and bossed weren't fun to fight; the aiming and walking controls felt loose but seemed to not move far enough or fast enough, unless you turned up the sensitivity, and then they were too fast; there was very little feedback from bosses to tell you if you were doing the right thing to kill them;
lickers
weren't fun to fight; the story sucked; the voice acting sucked; the pronounce Sheva's name Shevva for no god damned reason; the inventory system sucked; Sheva picked up shit you didn't want her to; Sheva wasted your bullets; Sheva stood in your line of fire and ate your shots, wasting even more bullets; if you moved to get Sheva out of your line of fire, she would jump back into it; when you needed to back away from Wesker, Sheva would block you and get you insta killed by that fucking tornado attack; none of the guns were fun to shoot; the graphics were ugly; the color palette was ugly; the sound design sucked; the music sucked; Mercenaries wasn't fun; all those god damned vehicle sections sucked.

I bolded everything I agree with. The rest range from casual disagreement to hyperbole.

The graphics, music, sound sucked? What the actual, total absolute fuck? It was beautiful and has one of the best soundtracks in the entire series. The color palette was fine and made sense for the environments.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It was good. I liked it. It didn't impact me as much as 4 though.

The thing is RE4 was like a horror game for like 3 quarters of it, and then at the tail end it just says "Fuck it" and becomes a full on action game. It felt like RE5 was the same thing, except it made that transition to action WAY quicker. Like... it was maybe reversed ratios of being horror for like the first quarter and then being action for the rest of it with maybe acouple horror moments sprinkled in. But even in the action, it still got to be pretty tense.

IcyEyes

Got the platinum on this game, played in co-op (pretty fun), I really liked Sheva, the story and some moments in the game.

Great game.

Riposte

I get it, you seem to like 5 and 6 more than the old games..

I'll just say I'm actually huge fan of the old games (RE2 is like the first game I ever really became good at oh so many years ago and my love for it hasn't changed). I may like the new games better, but that's only because (over the shoulder) TPS is pretty much my favorite genre and I love when they stray from cover shooters.

Blueblur1

I really like RE5 but the campaign/story could've been a lot better. More horror, more mystery and less action. Plus, I missed the Merchant.

TheBear

Compared to RE6 it's a goddamned masterpiece.
4 had a lot of action but was also gloomy and tense. RE5 dialled that back but still felt like it had some Resident Evil roots.
RE6 just said fuck the lemons and bail

SirCrush

*shakes head*

RE5 and 6 were absolute blasts to play. I don't know what you all are smoking but I don't want none. :p

Nekofrog

Banned
the setting did absolutely nothing for me.

and the failed delivery on the promises pre launch about the sun and nightmarish effects, etc.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I bolded everything I agree with. The rest range from casual disagreement to hyperbole.

The graphics, music, sound sucked? What the actual, total absolute fuck? It was beautiful and has one of the best soundtracks in the entire series. The color palette was fine and made sense for the environments.

I wish anything in my post was hyperbolic, but nothing is. If they music and sound did something for you, I'm glad, but early PS360 games pretty much all had bad graphics. HDTVs reveal more limitations than standard, and developers are just now learning how to hide it.

I thought it was a great co op game. Some levels were annoying but it had a lot of replayability. Was it better than re4? no. Was it just as fun? Yes.

It's a piece of fucking shit and I'm done with the series for good, thanks to it.

It took away all the atmosphere that RE4 had, unbalanced the gameplay to make it more "action packed" in detriment of the tension. Anyone that thinks RE5 is a good game didn't play RE4 enough.

I'm sure the people who developed RE5 didn't play 4 either.

That it wasn't RE4, I guess.

Personally, RE5 was the first RE I really fell in love with. Local co-op was a blast, it introduced me to The Mercenaries, which I spent an insane amount of time on, the music was great (Flying Nightmare, Wind of Madness, Rust in Summer 2008, Shadows of the Past, etc., etc.), and I liked the mix of gunplay with improved melee attacks from 4.

Seriously, the greater emphasis on melee attacks was great, especially since there are lots of variations and it's just damn neat seeing them all. These are all the possible ones:

gZaFf5p.png

On top of the base game, RE5 had some of my favorite DLC ever, and it's the only time I've ever bought DLC (that wasn't already included). Lost in Nightmares was great, as was Desperate Escape for different reasons. Not only that, but they also gave us motherfucking The Mercenaries: Reunion with brand-new characters and they also completely switched up the maps by changing item locations and enemy spawns. That's huge and a breath of fresh air for Mercs after playing it for so long. No joke.

Slayers and Survivors were neat modes but they didn't hold my attention for too long. Slayers had Rust in Summer 2008 as its theme, though, which is really the only reason I kept playing. That track is just sooooo good, haha. Similarly in RE6, I only really play Survivors because of its kick-ass theme, though it's mindless, broken-as-fuck fun once in a while, I admit.

The actual campaign was paced pretty well, too, I thought. They nailed the atmosphere as well, though I'm not particularly fond of arid settings at day time. It still looked great despite my bias, however. The only negative about the campaign is the god-awful on-rails turret section. I absolutely hate that part and it's the only time in the campaign where I think to myself, "Ugh... not this part again" whenever I replay it. Besides that, I love the whole campaign, whereas in RE4 I start getting a bit burned out on the castle near the middle, and absolutely dislike the island as a whole (village is video gaming perfection, though).

Non-campaign negatives for me would be that once you beat the game, you don't have the option to restart anew (no weapons, no upgrades, etc.) without making a new profile, OR just gathering the weapons again. The problem with the latter arises when you're helping a friend out and you want them to get all the weapons for the achievements (weapons aren't shared). While it's true that you can buy any weapon you want after beating the game, you (me, rather), don't want to be overpowered and taking all the fun from your friend; you want to be the same level. The other problem--more a nuisance, really--that comes from this is that you have to keep asking your friend, after purchasing a gun to match (or just sticking to handgun), is how far they've upgraded their weapon since they'll have the upgrade cap at that point in the campaign but not you, and you don't want to exceed it. And if anyone is like me and helped a lot of friends, your inventory will eventually be a damn mess of duplicates on top of your original, OP weapons (it's worse if you're helping multiple people at once). Sure, I could sell the weapons--and I do eventually--but it would have been so much easier if we just had the option to start fresh again. And, yeah, I could just play with the knife or cattle prod, but that's not as fun in co-op for me. LUCKILY, RE6 fixed this problem by offering the option upon starting a new campaign, so that was a huge relief.

Trust me, I helped a TON of people 1000/1000/1500/1500 RE5 over the years, and each time was a blast. I memorized all the emblem locations, treasure locations, health locations, and so on. It's one of the few games where I feel like I know it inside and out.

d38z7.png

zfmVz.png

I eagerly await the Steamworks version (Gold, please!) so I can get the Steam Achievements for it. And, no joke, just yesterday I was on Amazon, ready to buy Gold Edition on PS3... then I got the idea to get Alternative Edition down the road as well (Japanese version) just so I can get even more Trophies and eventually add more pics like the above to add to the collage :p

Yes, RE5 is truly the game for which I would label myself as a major whore for. I just really, really love it. Just... something about it really took hold of me and has never let go, even after all these years (I bought the RE5 red 360 on launch as my intro to HD consoles).

I don't even want to imagine my game time for RE5 in total, especially if I'm going to play it three more times in the future (Gold US for PS3, Alternative Edition Japanese import, Steamworks edition with achievement wipe). Oh, man... maybe I should get the EU version on PS3, too. I wonder if the Asian version would give me separate Trophies, too...

Honestly, I've enjoyed every damn RE I've played: REmake, RE2, some of RE3, RE4, RE6, REvelations, but I definitely have to say that I've played 5 and 6 the most because of co-op; campaign for 5 and mostly Mercs for 6. I consider myself lucky that I can enjoy them all with no problems, and I eagerly await RE7.

That said, RE5 is reeeeally hard to play because of RE6 now. RE6's gameplay is just too damn fun. I fucking love RE6, too--a lot--but not nearly as much as 5 (but really close!) and for very different reasons, yet I don't feel compelled to x-dip on it like 5.

Anyway, yeah, that's my rant on 5.

But since I'm here and you're bending my arm to know how I feel about RE6:

Steam stats:

s1ZK249.png

ACTUAL overall play time:

PNSZ9wY.png

Now, coming up is just time for the Extra Content, AKA extra game modes, AKA not campaign stuff.

Overall:

bb40686.png

Breakdown, starting with my most-played mode, The Mercenaries No Mercy <3 <3 <3, the best mode ever:

tf6bloA.png

Compare that time above to vanilla Mercenaries:

NJFYcqP.png

Onslaught, the second-best best mode ever (note the times played versus actual time to the above):

AgHE4m7.png

Survivors (not my favorite, but 18 hours is a damn good chunk of time):

HUAcTqK.png

There are three other modes but I don't play them enough for them to be worth posting.

I can't stress how much The Mercenaries No Mercy is worth the price of admission when the game goes on sale on PC (PC-exclusive mode, and is unlocked right away). My play time for it is no joke. It's so much fun, as is Onslaught, which I hope is brought back in RE7 or just becomes another staple like Mercs in the series going forward. It's so damn fuuuuun. Fuck, I get giddy just thinking about these modes, goddamn <3

The Mercenaries No Mercy is a total, total blast with a friend over voice chat. It gets crazy as fuck and so do you with your friend. The joy, the tears (oh, my god, the tears), the shouting, the fun... there's not much like it out there for me (L4D2 with three friends is comparable). Since we're here, check out a tiny sample of how crazy it gets. Watch in 720p and maybe twice to see if you can tell what's happening when and why and how you can get your shit wrecked in an instant.

Bonus gif of me showing off some of the mechanics in The Mercenaries No Mercy:

re6whopperslidekill383s9w.gif

Run-sliding, Sliding THEN turning, sliding on the ground, stunning an enemy, meleeing stunned enemy and actually killing two enemies with one kick... yeah, RE6's gameplay is one of the fucking best.

Shout-out to fellow GAF member Mooblox, the somewhat-best best Mercs teammate ever! <3 ilu, bro

Okay, now on to Onslaught... man, I wish Twitch hadn't fucked me over and lost the Onslaught match I liked showing off :( It showcased me employing almost every element in the game, mechanics-wise :( Forward-rolling, side-dodging, i-frame exploitation, and so on. In the video I'll be showing, I don't do nearly as much of those things because the stage is so open and I'm sniping.

Anyway, a quick run-down: it's a 1v1 mode where you try to send as many enemies (trash) as possible to your opponent to overwhelm them, with 30 being the max per combo (top of the screen). The higher the combo (30), the more powerful the enemies you send over. The game can last 10 minutes, but that's usually if you're facing a good opponent or they don't get royally fucked over, which is definitely a real possibility. You'll notice I do a lot of meleeing: that's to build my offense+ on the left, which caps at 300%. The higher it is, the more damage you do overall (you'll notice the higher it is, the quicker I can headshot enemies or just run-melee into them). It will reduce if you are hit. Enemies your opponent sends are the rust-looking ones. Now for the actual match! (I've skipped the item gathering I do)

Why do I love Onslaught? Because it's basically Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack/Puzzle League in RE6, and I've been a huge fan of those games since I was young.

Since I'm already sharing, you can see what I mean with this video. If you've never played these kinds of games, it might be hard to see why it's so similar, but conceptually it's exactly the same, just with a different kind of gameplay. I'm sure you can at least tell what the "trash" is in the video, no? And I'm also doing combos, which will be sent over to my opponent.

Phew, sorry for the long post! This is probably my longest post on GAF :p

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hell yeah dude ! I agree with everyth...

...what the fuck.

Bad campaign design != bad gameplay.

From what little time I've spent with RE6, I can already tell the combat is leaps and bounds above what's in RE4 or 5. I really need to suck it up and play the awful campaigns or hop into Mercenaries mode to really sink my teeth in though.

Davey Cakes

Forced co-op partner.
Uninteresting locations.
Level designs too often felt like arenas designed for Mercs.
Areas/chapters split up like stages, breaking the feeling of meaningful progression.
Item/treasure farming and crappy weapon economy.
Lacking in tension.
Lacking in atmosphere (other than a few select parts).
Crappy boss battles.
Doesn't have that amazing puzzle game inventory.
Speaking of puzzles, it had even less than RE4, somehow...

I mean, the game was still fun but it went in the wrong direction. RE4 was a refreshing change of pace for the series but the formula needed to be adjusted to better balance the feeling of action-oriented gameplay with classic RE feel. RE5 went too far into action-shooter territory.

If I were Shakira and my hours with RE6 were my hips, they wouldn't lie. I can still play 5/everything else just fine, but the freedom of movement RE6 offers in comparison to other entries is out of this world.

I don't think so!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dragonlife29

I believe we only tried (and failed) on Mercs 3D but now my brother has the 3DS to play pokemon but I would love to have more excuses to play either RE6 or RE5 on PC :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/onyxtour

Top Bottom