• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 1993 edition. (56k)

Kumquat

Betrayal at Krondor, and it isn't even close. One of the GOAT early RPG games. Quite revolutionary for its time.

Betrayal_at_Krondor.jpg

Actually, Sam & Max hit the road is right up there too. ARGH! It's tough. I'm gonna stick with my pick but I love Sam & Max too.

Damn, what a year! These threads have just reinforced to me that gaming just isn't what it used to be. Picking a game for this year though....probably Link's Awakening or Mortal Kombat.

Edit: Oh shit someone below mentioned Shining Force came out this year in the west so nevermind it was that. Series needs a comeback dammit.

The enhanced voice version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, the best point & click game ever (and the VA was a part of that), came out in '93. so that.

Other favourites this year for me were Day of the Tentacle, Metal Marines and Link's Awakening.

Shining Force is missing from the OP. It was released in the west in 93. I've basically dedicated my life to it. GOAT series for me.

Lothars

It's a three way tie for me between Doom, Legend of Zelda Links Awakening and Street Fighter II Turbo

That being said there are tons of games on the list that I love. it was an incredible year of games.

Canucked

Good year!

1 - Link's Awakening - one of a handful of classic GB games that held my attention.

2 - Myst - I cheated at some parts but still loved it. Thought the atmosphere was cool.

3 - Secret of Mana - I was nuts for this game, played it fully though like eight times, once on iOS

4 - Street Fighter II Turbo - First game my friends and I stayed up all night playing.

5 - X-Men - what a blast, but I found it a bit too hard.

Boy do I wish I had a gameboy in 93 for Link's Awakening. I was 5 though, I doubt I would have got far.

We were genesis kids at this stage, so Aladdin, Ecco & Shinobi all come straight to mind, big main stays.

I very strongly recall my dad playing PoP alot but it wa son PC and thus might have been a little earlier than 93? Not sure on that one. He played a lot of Doom too.

My favourite was Aladdin, the flying carpet/lava sequence blew my mind. I found Ecco interesting but very creepy at age 5 so I spent a lot of time watching my big sister playing it and jsut swimming around the opening area when I had it on haha.

I remember seeing Batman Returns in magazines and really wanting it, but I don't believe I ever played it.

RM8

Mega Man IV (GB)
Mortal Kombat (SNES, GEN)
Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES, GEN)
Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)
Fatal Fury (SNES)
Disney's Goof Troop (SNES)
Final Fight 2 (SNES)
Sumo Fighter (GB)
Art of Fighting (SNES)

It has to be Street Fighter II Turbo, really a great way to play Street Fighter back in the day. The turbo cheat was insane, SSF2 felt super slow afterwards.

cireza

Phantasy Star IV
Rondo of Blood
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic CD
Doom
Secret of Mana
Virtua Fighter

Those were some crazy years back then.

Zach

Disney's Aladdin (SNES, GEN)
Doom (PC)
Mortal Kombat (SNES, GEN)
Mutant League Football (GEN)
NBA Jam (GEN)
NHL '94 (SNES, GEN, SCD)
Road Rash II (GEN)
Rock 'N Roll Racing (SNES)
Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES, GEN)
Sunset Riders (SNES)
WWF Royal Rumble (SNES)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES, GEN)

Wow! Who knew I played so many wonderful games from '93?

I'm gonna go with Mutant League Football as my favorite.

eXistor

Man, many classics released that year. I'd say Link's Awakening is my favorite, closely followed by Day of the Tentacle and Secret of Mana.

Other favorties are Doom, Sunset Riders, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Shinobi III, Star Fox, Ranger X, Flashback and Gunstar Heroes

dickroach

Link's Awakening easily. outside of Tetris and Pokemon, definitely my most played GB game; maybe my favorite Zelda game. fond memories of talking with friends at school trying to figure out how the hell to beat dungeons, and vividly remembering where i was when i beat certain bosses.

RBIYF

Neo Member
This is my favorite game from 1993:
Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg

Doom is a close second and such a milestone title and I was blown away the first time I played it.....but overall, the game that I most fondly remember from that year and that takes me back is Day of the Tentacle. I was so happy when they announced and released a Remastered version.

Other excellent games that year for me:

Street Fight II Turbo (SNES)
Shadowrun (SNES)
Sam & Max Hit the Road (PC)
Super Mario All-Stars (SNES)

...such a great year. The whole decade was an awesome time for gaming.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I was all in on Doom until I saw Links Awakening.

Them i remembered Super Street Fighter II hit arcades that year.

Honome

Impossible to pick only one game, all these titles brought me back so many memories... I'll make a list of the top 10 with no specific order:

Doom (PC)
Ecco the Dolphin (GEN)
FIFA International Soccer (GEN)
Flashback (GEN, PC)
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Mortal Kombat
NHL '94 (SNES, GEN, SCD)
Veil of Darkness (PC)
X-COM: UFO Defense (PC)
X-Wing

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Impossible to pick only one game, all these titles brought me back so many memories... I'll make a list of the top 10 with no specific order:

Doom (PC)
Ecco the Dolphin (GEN)
FIFA International Soccer (GEN)
Flashback (GEN, PC)
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Mortal Kombat
NHL '94 (SNES, GEN, SCD)
Veil of Darkness (PC)
X-COM: UFO Defense (PC)
X-Wing

stalker is a cool movie

benjammin

Too many great games to decide. If I had to pick, I'd probably say my top 3 would be

Doom - playing this coop with my brother and some of my friends was massively fun.
Secret of Mana
Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter 2 - fact separate the two, had tons of fun with both.

With Lost Vikings getting an honorable mention. I'd love to see that game remade in 3d with coop.

Chemist

Neo Member
I have to give it to Myst. My 10yo mind was blown with the world and the puzzles. The ushering in of pc gaming for me. And an incredibly important game that actually showed what cd rom pc gaming could do at the time.

JRW

Doom PC (1993) - I still remember playing this for the first time at a friends house back in 1993, I was beyond blown away, It truly felt like we were playing a game ahead of its time.

Doom was the reason I ended up buying a PC shortly after, A Packard Bell desktop with a Pentium 60Mhz and 4 MB ram (lol).

Of course after the Packard I've always configured / built my own PC's like most users do nowadays.

I suppose I'd have to say Link's Awakening. I hated the Game Boy when it arrived. The idea of playing on that crappy little screen, instead of a TV, was abhorrent to me (an opinion that hasn't changed over the years).

But while I was on vacation, visiting friends, I played a bit of Link's Awakening, and I had to buy a Game Boy to play the whole thing. I literally hurt my eyes playing through it on that piece of shit. Later, the Super Game Boy made it all better.

Honorable mention to Secret of Mana. It still holds the record for most money I ever paid for a new game - just over $100 ($106, I think), at Service Merchandise. It was the only store I could find that had it. I felt it was worth it, so that's high praise.

edit: oh heck, I missed Doom. Ah, whatever. I can't decide, then.

spookyfish

Damn. Good year for games! Starfox, Street Fighter Turbo, Sonic CD, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Secret of Mana, and one you forgot: Silpheed Sega CD.

StayDead

Wow, that has to be one of the best years for Gaming ever. I was only 3, but I've played most of these fantastic games now!

swarley64

Man, I forgot all about E.V.O. What a cool little game that was. I hope I find time to replay it some day.

Anyway, I think I gotta give this one to Doom.

But Link's Awakening, Secret of Mana, Street Fighter and Star Fox are all close runner-ups.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Jurassic Park on the SNES was brutal, I never completed it as a kid but I'm so playing that shit tomorrow.

FZW

Doom, easily.

Honorable mentions:
Kirbys adventure
SF champion edition
Aladin (Genesis version only)
MK2
Road Rash 2

This is really hard! But that was the year I got a Game Boy, and I got it with Link's Awakening, which I absolutely adored above all else!

But I definitely played many of the others through friends.

What a great year.

As far as what I played a ton:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (GEN)
Gunstar Heroes (GEN)
Jungle Strike (GEN)
Jurassic Park (GEN)
Lethal Enforcers (GEN)
Mortal Kombat (GEN)
Mutant League Football (GEN)
Myst (PC)
NBA Jam (GEN)
Pirates! Gold (GEN)
Road Rash II (GEN)
Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition (GEN)
X-Men (GEN)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (GEN)

I honestly think Mean Bean Machine aged the best of any of this. My brother would get pissed when I did that combo shit on him and all those clear beans dropped on him.

Pirates! Gold was my thing back in the day, though. That was the game that made me wish there was more open-world and was the first open-world game I played.

But Street Fighter II... when I found out how to do actual moves and could spam the HADOKEN, I played the tournament mode a billion times. It was a rude awakening when I played this online on the 360 and realized that spamming that doesn't work on humans. =P

Great memories with all of this, but I think Pirates! Gold was what I was most in love with next to Street Fighter.

EDIT: One thing about Lethal Enforcers: although I played that a ton, I played it while hating that you had to redo a level if you shot a civilian or cop. They'd jump out of nowhere, damn it!

jluedtke

Hey, the Turbografx still had games in 1993!

Beyond Shadowgate
Bomberman '93
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure CD

Buster Bros.
Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams
Dungeon Explorer II

Dungeon Master
Dynastic Hero, The
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
Godzilla
John Madden Duo CD Football
Legend of Hero Tonma
Lords of Thunder
Magical Chase
Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra
Riot Zone
SimEarth
Super Air Zonk
Syd Mead's Terraforming
Vasteel

There are some awesome games on that list! I've bolded my favorites.

Mael

From that list I'd say the cream of the crop are :
X-Wing, Secret of Mana and Link's Awakening.
If I had to choose absolutely 1 it would be
Legend of Zelda : Link's Awakening.
But fuck what I wouldn't give to get something like X-Wing again...
And Secret of Mana was fantastic too.
That's my choice anyway, 94 and 95 are better anyway...

EBreda

Love so many titles from that year and I'm thorn between Flashback, Genesis Alladin, Nigel Mansell on the SNES, Gunstar Heroes.

Gotta go with the game I played the most though (despite not withstanding the test of time): Fifa International Soccer.

Top Bottom